DVD Talk
Is Bush a completely lame duck? [Archive] - DVD Talk Forum

PDA

View Full Version : Is Bush a completely lame duck?

Venusian
03-14-08, 08:25 AM
I was just thinking about his comment about how he hadn't heard that gas may hit $4/gallon. Analysts predicted it, most of us expected it, and it is already that price in some parts of the country. For a President to be that far removed from the economy should be major news, but I don't think it got much play. I'm guessing it is mostly because the election news is dominating but I think part of it is that people just don't expect anything better from Bush anymore and just gave up on him.

Thoughts?

wendersfan
03-14-08, 08:27 AM
He's on the permanent DL.

http://cagle.msnbc.com/news/BushLameDuck/images/petar.gif

Vibiana
03-14-08, 08:34 AM
No, that's his dad's job.

Th0r S1mpson
03-14-08, 08:40 AM
I hadn't heard about $4 gas until I heard about Bush not hearing about it. :shrug:

I don't know if he's lame, but he's certainly a duck. I'm not even sure what that means.

GreenMonkey
03-14-08, 09:12 AM
I think he's the worst president in decades.

To me, he's got the worst traits of both parties. I'd at least expect the Republicans to be fiscally responsible, but no.

He let the Republicans run amok without any vetoing for years - which makes him kind of a party hack without any inclination to oppose his 'side'.

He dumps piles of money into social programs but honestly I think it was kind of ineptly, and of course making the deficit crisis worse. I think the Democrats are better at dumping money into social programs and get more done somehow - more practice in this arena IMO

He burnt the rest of the money we didn't have on the invasion/occupation of Iraq.

His foreign policy is this black and white, Axis Of Evil, you're our friend or our enemy crap but inconsistent in its application which makes it make even less sense. "We love you, Saudi Arabia!"

I can't think of anything really great this president has done and tons of things he's done badly.

classicman2
03-14-08, 09:13 AM
As long as his vetoes are sustained, it's not completely a lame duck.

I can't think of anything really great this president has done and tons of things he's done badly

It depends on you definition of great, I suppose. I can think of some good things he's done.

wabio
03-14-08, 09:59 AM
I can't think of anything really great this president has done and tons of things he's done badly.

Anything "great"? I can't think of anything period he's done in 7 years. Our country would be better off if the man was kept in isolation IMO. He's like the opposite of King Midas. Everything he touches turns to s**t!

WCChiCubsFan
03-14-08, 01:31 PM
It is truly amazing how much of a non factor he has been in his second term. When it is all said and done he will probably have been a lame duck for three of the four years of his second term.

Looking back you have to laugh at the hubris at which many Bush supporters were falling all over themselves talking about how he was redefining the political landscape and taking control of issues like Social Security.

In the years to come it will be interesting to see if the Bush spin handlers can revitalize his legacy from any but the worse President in the last 100 years.

Palpadious
03-14-08, 02:31 PM
He's pretty much been a lame duck since Katrina. That was when a vast majority of people realized, "Yeah, this guy's a fucking joke."

MartinBlank
03-14-08, 02:37 PM
He's pretty much been a lame duck since Katrina. That was when a vast majority of people realized, "Yeah, this guy's a fucking joke."

I know, right?! Once they tied that weather machine to him and Halliturton it was all over! That and he hid those keys to all those buses...poor Ray Nagan, Bush tried to make him look stupid, but no one is stupider that Bush!!!1!

He's not just a lame duck, he's a super-duper EVIIILLLL stupidhead lame duck!!1! ZOMG, I hate him more than anybody ever ever!!

Technically, Bush became a lame duck the minute both houses of Congress were turned over to the Democrat party.

wendersfan
03-14-08, 02:38 PM
He's pretty much been a lame duck since Katrina. That was when a vast majority of people realized, "Yeah, this guy's a fucking joke."Would that be the same majority of people who re-elected him? :lol:

Mopower
03-14-08, 02:42 PM
With 9/11 happening his first year he could have been one of the greatest presidents ever. Uniting the country and the world towards one great cause. But he decided to invade Iraq. It's been downhill ever since.

Venusian
03-14-08, 03:00 PM
Would that be the same majority of people who re-elected him? :lol:

wasn't that before katrina?

Mopower
03-14-08, 03:08 PM

Funny. Katrina made me realize that people in New Orleans are fucking retards that deserved everything that happened to them. Especially with Nagin STILL the mayor after that debacle.

Chrisedge
03-14-08, 03:13 PM
With 9/11 happening his first year he could have been one of the greatest presidents ever. Uniting the country and the world towards one great cause. But he decided to invade Iraq. It's been downhill ever since.

yep. even though I hated him from the start, he squandered a huge opportunity to do the right thing, and completely failed and missed the mark.

Chrisedge
03-14-08, 03:15 PM
I know, right?! Once they tied that weather machine to him and Halliturton it was all over! That and he hid those keys to all those buses...poor Ray Nagan, Bush tried to make him look stupid, but no one is stupider that Bush!!!1!

He's not just a lame duck, he's a super-duper EVIIILLLL stupidhead lame duck!!1! ZOMG, I hate him more than anybody ever ever!!

Technically, Bush became a lame duck the minute both houses of Congress were turned over to the Democrat party.

George W. Bush (Dubya)
The White House
1600 Pennsylvania Ave., NW
Washington, D.C. 20500

Past Work Experience

Ran for congress and lost.
Produced a Hollywood slasher B movie.
Bought an oil company, but couldn't find any oil in Texas; company went bankrupt shortly after I sold all my stock.
Bought the Texas Rangers baseball team in a sweetheart deal that took land using taxpayer money. Biggest move: Traded Sammy Sosa to the Chicago White Sox.
With father's help (and his name) was elected Governor of Texas.
Accomplishments in Previous Positions

Changed pollution laws for power and oil companies and made Texas the most polluted state in the Union.

Replaced Los Angeles with Houston as the most smog-ridden city in America. Cut taxes and bankrupted the Texas government to the tune of billions in borrowed money.

Set record for most executions by any governor in American history.

Became president after losing the popular vote by over 500,000 votes, with the help of my father's appointments to the Supreme Court.

Accomplishments As President

Attacked and took over two countries.
Spent the surplus and bankrupted the treasury.
Shattered record for biggest annual deficit in history.
Set economic record for most private bankruptcies filed in any 12-month period.
Set all-time record for biggest drop in the history of the stock market.
First president in decades to execute a federal prisoner.
First president in U.S. history to enter office with a criminal record.
First year in office set the all-time record for most days on vacation by any president in U.S. history.
After taking the entire month of August off for vacation, presided over the worst security failure in U.S. history.
Set the record for most campaign fundraising trips than any other president in U.S. history.
In my first two years in office over 2 million Americans lost their job.
Cut unemployment benefits for more out of work Americans than any president in U.S. history.
Set the all-time record for most foreclosures in a 12-month period.
Appointed more convicted criminals to administration positions than any president in U.S. history.
Set the record for the least amount of press conferences than any president since the advent of television.
Signed more laws and executive orders amending the Constitution than any president in U.S. history.
Presided over the biggest energy crises in U.S. history and refused to intervene when corruption was revealed.
Presided over the highest gasoline prices in U.S. history and refused to use the national reserves as past presidents have.
Cut healthcare benefits for war veterans.
Set the all-time record for most people worldwide to simultaneously take to the streets to protest me (15 million people), shattering the record for protest against any person in the history of mankind.
Dissolved more international treaties than any president in U.S. history.
My presidency is the most secretive and unaccountable of any in U.S. history.
Members of my cabinet are the richest of any administration in U.S. history (the 'poorest' multimillionaire, Condoleezza Rice, has an Exxon oil tanker named after her).
First president in U.S. history to have all 50 states of the Union simultaneously go bankrupt.
Presided over the biggest corporate stock market fraud of any market in any country in the history of the world.
First president in U.S. history to order a U.S. attack and military occupation of a sovereign nation.
Created the largest government department bureaucracy in the history of the United States.
Set the all-time record for biggest annual budget spending increases, more than any president in U.S. history.
First president in U.S. history to have the United Nations remove the U.S. from the human rights commission.
First president in U.S. history to have the United Nations remove the U.S. from the elections monitoring board.
Removed more checks and balances, and have the least amount of congressional oversight than any presidential administration in U.S. history.
Rendered the entire United Nations irrelevant.
Withdrew from the World Court of Law.
Refused to allow inspectors access to U.S. prisoners of war and by default no longer abide by the Geneva Conventions.
First president in U.S. history to refuse United Nations election inspectors (during the 2002 U.S. elections).
All-time U.S. (and world) record holder for most corporate campaign donations.
My biggest lifetime campaign contributor presided over one of the largest corporate bankruptcy frauds in world history (Kenneth Lay, former CEO of Enron Corporation).
Spent more money on polls and focus groups than any president in U.S. history.
First president in U.S. history to unilaterally attack a sovereign nation against the will of the United Nations and the world community.
First president to run and hide when the U.S. came under attack (and then lied saying the enemy had the code to Air Force 1)
First U.S. president to establish a secret shadow government.
Took the biggest world sympathy for the U.S. after 9/11, and in less than a year made the U.S. the most resented country in the world (possibly the biggest diplomatic failure in U.S. and world history).
With a policy of 'disengagement' created the most hostile Israeli-Palestine relations in at least 30 years.
Fist U.S. president in history to have a majority of the people of Europe (71%) view my presidency as the biggest threat to world peace and stability.
First U.S. president in history to have the people of South Korea more threatened by the U.S. than their immediate neighbor, North Korea.
Changed US policy to allow convicted criminals to be awarded government contracts.
Set all-time record for number of administration appointees who violated U.S. law by not selling huge investments in corporations bidding for government contracts.
Failed to fulfill my pledge to get Osama Bin Laden 'dead or alive.'
Failed to capture the anthrax killer who tried to murder the leaders of our country at the United States Capital building. After 18 months I have no leads and zero suspects.
In the 18 months following the 9/11 attacks I have successfully prevented any public investigation into the biggest security failure in the history of the United States.
Removed more freedoms and civil liberties for Americans than any other president in U.S. history.
In a little over two years created the most divided country in decades, possibly the most divided the U.S. has ever been since the Civil War.
Entered office with the strongest economy in U.S. history and in less than two years turned every single economic category heading straight down.
Records and References

At least one conviction for drunk driving in Maine (Texas driving record has been erased and is not available)
AWOL from National Guard and deserted the military during a time of war.
Refuse to take drug test or even answer any questions about drug use.
All records of my tenure as governor of Texas have been spirited away to my father's library, sealed in secrecy and unavailable for public view.
All records of any SEC investigations into my insider trading or bankrupt companies are sealed in secrecy and unavailable for public view.
All minutes of meetings for any public corporation I served on the board are sealed in secrecy and unavailable for public view.
Any records or minutes from meetings I (or my VP) attended regarding public energy policy are sealed in secrecy and unavailable for public review.
For personal references please speak to my daddy or uncle James Baker (they can be reached at their offices of the Carlyle Group for war-profiteering.)

MartinBlank
03-14-08, 03:30 PM
Mr. Soros?

Th0r S1mpson
03-14-08, 03:31 PM
wasn't that before katrina?
No. Katrina hit in 2005. Bush was re-elected in our hearts every day since 2001.

wabio
03-14-08, 04:48 PM
Normally I would call him a lame duck.....but I wouldn't want to offend all the ducks.

classicman2
03-14-08, 05:17 PM
Again - my definition of a lame duck is that he no longer influences the 'agenda.' That's simply not true in Bush's case.

VinVega
03-14-08, 06:26 PM
Agreed. He had the whole country behind him. I remember cheering my heart out for Bush when he threw out the first pitch at the 2001 Word Series at Yankee Stadium. Now, I can't stand the guy because he took the advice of a select few and decided to pursue an invasion of Iraq and basically said F-U to the rest of the country and the rest of the world on most of his other policies. He never honestly listened to any opposition even when they had valid points.

He was a lame duck as soon as his SS overhaul blew up in his face. He claimed to have a ton of "political capital" after the 2004 elections. I guess not.

zekeburger1979
03-14-08, 08:02 PM
As long as his vetoes are sustained, it's not completely a lame duck.

It depends on you definition of great, I suppose. I can think of some good things he's done.

Please elaborate, because chrisedge listed everything that he's done wrong.

NCMojo
03-14-08, 08:12 PM
Part of the original post talked about Bush's essential cluelessness... so I thought I'd add this comment that Bush recently about fighting in Afghanistan:
I must say, I'm a little envious. If I were slightly younger and not employed here, I think it would be a fantastic experience to be on the front lines of helping this young democracy succeed. It must be exciting for you in some ways romantic, in some ways, you know, confronting danger. You're really making history, and thanks.
As Fred Kaplan said on Slate (http://www.slate.com/id/2186554/)... "It only compounds the insult to reflect that Bush, when he was younger and not employed anywhere, passed up his chance for a romantic fling with danger in the jungles of Southeast Asia."

:rolleyes:

classicman2
03-14-08, 08:25 PM
Please elaborate, because chrisedge listed everything that he's done wrong.

I thought his actions after 9/11 (for a period of time) were appropriate and beneficial to the country.

He proposed a realistic and fairly comprehensive energy plan. The Congress did not act on it.

His education proposal (after prodding from Kennedy & Miller) was beneficial, IMO.

His prescription drug plan (though woefully inadquate, IMO) was a step in the right direction.

I never said, nor did I indicate, his accomplishments outweighed the detrimental things he has done.

I'll argue that one of those was the tax cuts. I bet some of our members who are very critical of Bush are not so critical of him on that. I am. ;)

NCMojo
03-14-08, 08:58 PM
Which energy plan are you referring to? It seems like every energy plan Bush and Cheney submitted pre-Katrina failed to include any kind of conservation or alternate energy measures.

MartinBlank
03-14-08, 08:59 PM

He cut taxes :shrug:

classicman2
03-14-08, 09:05 PM
I think that's one of the bad things he's done.

al_bundy
03-14-08, 09:15 PM
larry kudlow had an interview with him, i think bush needs to shut up about economic matters because it makes him sound like he doesn't know what he is talking about

classicman2
03-14-08, 09:16 PM
Which energy plan are you referring to? It seems like every energy plan Bush and Cheney submitted pre-Katrina failed to include any kind of conservation or alternate energy measures.

Bush's first energy proposal had alternative energy proposals to it. It probably wasn't enough, but it had some.

What it had that others, including the one recently passed, is some measure of realism. It did address the need for increase in fossil fuels. The one just passed ignored that. That should be the most critical part of any energy plan since we're going to be dependent on fossil fuels as our primary energy source for the foreseeable future.

IMO, we're going to face a major energy crisis before we'll see any real effect from the current energy plan. It may be catastrophic.

As has been said - 'you can't drill your way out; but, you can't conserve your way out either and maintain a 21st Century economy.'

NCMojo
03-14-08, 09:26 PM
So... because Bush's energy plan amounted to "let's drill in ANWR" as the sole solution to our nation's energy demands, and completely ignored reasonable conservation efforts... you somehow view that as "more realistic"???

DVD Polizei
03-14-08, 09:44 PM
Drilling isn't going to help the situation at all. Our own oil companies are celebrating current oil prices. Some of you think they actually want prices to come down? Yeah, right. And all that oil which could be obtained via ANWR? They'd sell it overseas and Americans wouldn't see a drop of it.

The US Gov't has the capability now to curb gas prices. But it choses not to.

Bacon
03-14-08, 09:57 PM
W is just lame

Ephemeral_Life
03-14-08, 09:59 PM

Which is so appropriate considering our infrastructure is literally wasting away, pork barrel spending is through the roof and our budget deficit makes the Reagan years look fiscally conservative.

Jason
03-14-08, 10:05 PM

He didn't cut my taxes.

And I can see beyond my own selfish needs. Sure, I'd like to have every penny in my gross paycheck in my grubby little hands, but I understand that society has to function. I like roads. And cops. And safe food. And even the military (just not how it's been used the last several years.)

classicman2
03-15-08, 12:01 AM
So... because Bush's energy plan amounted to "let's drill in ANWR" as the sole solution to our nation's energy demands, and completely ignored reasonable conservation efforts... you somehow view that as "more realistic"???

Please refrain from mocking my post in the other thread as 'insightful' :rolleyes: after the above ridiculous post you made.

If you don't believe we're going to be primarily dependent on fossil fuels for our energy in the foreseeable future you're living in a dream world from which you and others of your ilk had better awaken.

classicman2
03-15-08, 12:06 AM
Drilling isn't going to help the situation at all. Our own oil companies are celebrating current oil prices. Some of you think they actually want prices to come down? Yeah, right. And all that oil which could be obtained via ANWR? They'd sell it overseas and Americans wouldn't see a drop of it.

Nonsense!!

Any source of domestic source oil decreases the need to import foreign oil.

Where do you get this idea that ANWR oil would be sold overseas?

Where do you think Alaskan oil currently goes? It goes to 4 states - Alaska, Washington, Oregon, & California. The last time I checked they are part of the United States. :rolleyes:

JeremyM
03-15-08, 06:26 PM
I'm not a historian so I don't know, but I can't imagine that there has ever been a worse president. After the war in Afghanistan was botched, it's been nothing but a series of disasters. And honestly, for reasons I don't quite get, I supported him over Gore in 2000.

As far as Katrina, no, you can't blame him for the weather. But as president, a large part of your job is symbolic, and strumming a guitar in San Francisco while people are dying, or making Trent Lott's home a major part of your disaster site tour, is not fulfilling those symbolic duties. And don't forget the idiot crony he put in charge of FEMA. So while there was plenty of blame to go around with the local government, Bush did a bang up job of getting those guys off the hook.

NCMojo
03-15-08, 07:16 PM
Please refrain from mocking my post in the other thread as 'insightful' :rolleyes: after the above ridiculous post you made.
Your post in the other thread was just mocking my statement. My post here actually discusses the issue you brought up, and raises a perfectly valid counterpoint. Surely you can see the difference.
If you don't believe we're going to be primarily dependent on fossil fuels for our energy in the foreseeable future you're living in a dream world from which you and others of your ilk had better awaken.
I'm not sure what you mean by the "forseeable future" -- 10 years? 20? -- but if you think that we're going to be primarily dependent on fossil fuels 50 years from now, when we will be significantly past the point of peak oil and the price of a barrel of oil would approach $300+ a gallon, then I'd suggest that you are the one living in a dream world.

NCMojo
03-15-08, 07:25 PM
Well, notwithstanding current mob feeling, I believe Bush has been a very good president. Present opinion is more the result of hysterical and openly biased reporting. As someone who knows a little bit about economics for example, I find people's perceptions and expectations of Bush's handling of the economy entirely disfigured by misinformation and plain ignorance.

Not only that, but given current demographics, Bush might very well be the last great American president.
rotfl

Wow... I mean, that's just... -eek-

Seriously? You actually think that Bush has been a very good president? And you think that the principle cause of public opinion is the result of bad reporting, and not... say... a disastrous incursion into Iraq, the abandonment of all fiscal responsibility, an incredible degree of cronyism and corruption, and a series of almost cartoonish bungles and laughable public statements?

Well, uh... okey-doke then... :lol:

I would agree 100% with your last statement, though. If you define George Bush as a "very good president", then, by that inverted scale, we almost certainly will not see future Presidents rise to that level of "greatness" again. And thank God for that.

wabio
03-15-08, 07:56 PM
I think Bush has done a great disservice to our country, and the only salvation is the fact that he can't do any more.

NCMojo
03-15-08, 09:13 PM
Poor wabio got caught in the crossfire. :lol:

I love how plebian and pedestrian the rest of us are, compared to the higher order of insight and intelligence you and your ilk possess. You talk in generalities about "qualities" and "character" and "values" without a single illuminating example or specific point. Sure, Bush is a very good president, absolutely, despite all of the evidence on hand, and you can just take our word for it, or wait for the great Annals of History to pass down their wisdom. And yet, despite the complete lack of substance behind any and all of this, the counter-argument is just so much "anti-Bush hysteria".

You know, the best way to read your posts might be to just invert everything you say. The "qualities that set it apart from other nations" that we will lose would be the arrogance and pigheadedness that has marked our foreign policy. The "exceptional character" you're talking about would be the extraordinary disparity between the richest 1% and the poorest members of our society, or perhaps the incestuous relationship between the Administration and the Saudi oil princes or Haliburton or the defense industry, or perhaps the extreme partisanship and politicization that the Administration has cultivated for the past eight years. The "values" that Bush has upheld "to a distinctive degree" would be the abandonment of the rule of law and the protection of civil liberties, the Constitutional system of checks and balances, and the misuse of our intelligence agencies.

From this Bizzaro World perspective, then, where bad is good and day is night... again, hats off to your outstanding assessment of the Bush presidency. And God bless your inevitable and infamous "march of history".

MartinBlank
03-15-08, 09:29 PM
Nothing I say can prevent the march of history, so go on with your anti-Bush hysteria.

:thumbsup:

darkessenz
03-16-08, 10:55 AM
What if Katrina happened in New York or Chicago? Would the feds have responded more quickly? I think so probably. Its sad to think about the country like that, but its true.

wabio
03-16-08, 11:51 AM
^^ I must say, that's exactly the kind of reaction I expected from you. .......so go on with your anti-Bush hysteria.

Yes.....exactly. Me and 70% of the other so-called Americans that care to think. We all must be blind. :rolleyes:

MartinBlank
03-16-08, 12:21 PM
What if Katrina happened in New York or Chicago? Would the feds have responded more quickly? I think so probably. Its sad to think about the country like that, but its true.

http://wxpaos09.colorado.edu/hurricanes/Hurr%20GW/buses.jpg
How was this the Fed. Government's fault?

I could make the argument that the same thing would have happened in Chicago. They're both Democrat run cities, and last I checked all Democrats thought that the gov't was better at taking care of the individual than the individual themselves.

JasonF
03-16-08, 12:35 PM
http://wxpaos09.colorado.edu/hurricanes/Hurr%20GW/buses.jpg
How was this the Fed. Government's fault?

I could make the argument that the same thing would have happened in Chicago. They're both Democrat run cities, and last I checked all Democrats thought that the gov't was better at taking care of the individual than the individual themselves.

Check again. If you check with an actual Democrat instead of Sean Hannity, you might get a more accurate answer.

MartinBlank
03-16-08, 01:34 PM
Check again. If you check with an actual Democrat instead of Sean Hannity, you might get a more accurate answer.

Sean Hannity has nothing to do with anything. Contrary to popular belief, not all those on "The Right" do/say whatever Hannity, Coulter, Limbaugh, or O'Reilly tell them to. Nice job trying to stereotype though :)

My statement is reflective of MY opinion of Democrats....which is weird, because what happened in New Orleans validates my argument. When "you" expect the gov't to control every aspect of life AND "take care of you" when the shit really hits the fan "you" are completely fucked. It's almost as if they people of New Orleans were unable to take care of themselves. Thus, the term Nanny State. Wierd, eh? :shrug:

DVD Polizei
03-16-08, 01:46 PM
larry kudlow had an interview with him, i think bush needs to shut up about economic matters because it makes him sound like he doesn't know what he is talking about

But this can be said about any matter he talks about. If he was the United States' first Mime President, we'd have probably been better off.

darkessenz
03-16-08, 03:35 PM
The feds were one of many failing actors in the whole debacle. But one reason we have a federal emergency agency is to deal with...say the flooding of a great American city.

foggy
03-16-08, 03:47 PM

It couldn't have happened in either of those places because they are not located on the Gulf Coast and they are not primarily built below sea level. This isn't just comparing apples to oranges, it's comparing apples to horse-apples. I don't feel sorry for the people of New Orleans, they obviously feel sorry enough for themselves. It doesn't surprise me at all that this turned into a typically corrupt stuation just like you'd expect from Louisiana. Sending federal money down there is like flushing it down the toilet.

darkessenz
03-16-08, 05:15 PM
It couldn't have happened in either of those places because they are not located on the Gulf Coast and they are not primarily built below sea level. This isn't just comparing apples to oranges, it's comparing apples to horse-apples. I don't feel sorry for the people of New Orleans, they obviously feel sorry enough for themselves. It doesn't surprise me at all that this turned into a typically corrupt stuation just like you'd expect from Louisiana. Sending federal money down there is like flushing it down the toilet.

You obviously missed my point. What if something equally bad, though not the same as a flood, occurred in NYC? I guarantee that federal assistance would be quicker...

DVD Polizei
03-16-08, 05:29 PM
So, you're saying because New Orleans had a bunch of poor black people who practiced voo doo, the US government delayed their response? I'm not willing to make that leap of a connection. It was a severe lack of communication and organization. Had nothing to do with economic class or otherwise.

Hypothetically, an incident could happen in NYC as well. The US Gov't would think it wasn't as bad as it really was due to--once again--bad communcation, logistics, and organization, and could also delay sending help to the area.

I wouldn't be so quick to say NYC would get the help it needed in a catastrophic event. If anything, Katrina shows just how retarded our government works in a situation where large numbers of people need help.

al_bundy
03-16-08, 05:32 PM
we did have 2 100 story buildings collapse in the middle of the financial center of the world and killed over 3000 people in the process and displaced thousands more. a few days later the stock market reopened, most of the subways were working less than a day later

only thing the feds did is provide some money and they sent the FBI here to investigate. most of the repairs are being done with the subway system selling it's own bonds to pay for it

meanwhile in NO you hear stories about how the budget keeps on growing and the money is being blown on subcontracting the work through 25 companies so everyone's cousin can get a piece of the action

darkessenz
03-16-08, 05:40 PM
I wouldn't be so quick to say NYC would get the help it needed in a catastrophic event. If anything, Katrina shows just how retarded our government works in a situation where large numbers of people need help.

Maybe I would say that there would be greater public pressure to get help...not necessarily that the government would be more likely to have their shit together in order to get it done.

I believe that the federal government is inherently inept when dealing with domestic disasters-they rarely occur with the devastation that Katrina did (to infrastructure-etc.). Public pressure helps overcome this, and it simply didn't in the case of Katrina.

Sewso
03-17-08, 07:26 PM
I think Bush has done a great disservice to our country, and the only salvation is the fact that he can't do any more.

Your not giving him enough credit, he's not done destroying things by a long shot!!

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.2.0