Community
Search
Music Talk Discuss music in all its forms: CD, MP3, DVD-A, SACD and of course live

Sxsw 2008

Search this Thread

Old 03-13-08, 03:16 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Sxsw 2008

Is anyone in Austin and checking out any shows for SXSW? We went for the first time last year and were surprised by how many no wristband and/or free shows there were.

I think we might try catching Grupo Fantasma and Spoon at Auditorium Shores tonight.

Maybe Saturday, the Breeders and White Denim. But I'm sure I'm not aware of a lot of stuff going on.
Old 03-13-08, 03:48 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

a buddy of mine (Tim Palmieri of The Breakfast) is playing at Headhunters on Sunday night if you're interested in checking that out.
Old 03-13-08, 03:59 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

We were there on Saturday and saw a bunch of peeps with the sxsw tags. I dont know why they had that for as we were on 6th and it was all drunk parties. No live music or anything.
Old 03-13-08, 05:35 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 30 Likes on 19 Posts
Originally Posted by Ravenous
We were there on Saturday and saw a bunch of peeps with the sxsw tags. I dont know why they had that for as we were on 6th and it was all drunk parties. No live music or anything.
You were there for the film festival part of the program. SXSW runs for over a week, but the music portion just started last night and runs through Sunday.

I just arrived here this afternoon, about to head out and start the beer/bbq/music cycle that won't end for 72 hours straight. This is my 7th time here, and I think my 5th year in a row. It's always an amazing time!
Old 03-13-08, 06:23 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 109 Likes on 68 Posts
I was thinking of going to check out band or a film, but nothing much that i wanted to pay the money to see. I am going to see Gogol Bordello monday at Stubbs, excited about that
Old 03-14-08, 03:32 PM

Originally Posted by [email protected]
You were there for the film festival part of the program. SXSW runs for over a week, but the music portion just started last night and runs through Sunday.

I just arrived here this afternoon, about to head out and start the beer/bbq/music cycle that won't end for 72 hours straight. This is my 7th time here, and I think my 5th year in a row. It's always an amazing time!
Damn so its done in 2 days? We wont go back this weekend as money was spent but we were going to go next weekend.
Old 03-14-08, 04:44 PM

Originally Posted by mkdevo
a buddy of mine (Tim Palmieri of The Breakfast) is playing at Headhunters on Sunday night if you're interested in checking that out.
Is The Breakfast the band featured in one of Other's best photoshop threads ever?
Old 03-14-08, 08:40 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by heimerSWT
Is The Breakfast the band featured in one of Other's best photoshop threads ever?
sure is!
Old 03-15-08, 04:07 AM

Originally Posted by cornyt
Maybe Saturday, the Breeders and White Denim. But I'm sure I'm not aware of a lot of stuff going on.
I went to the website but didnt see shit on whos doing what. Isnt there a full lineup somewhere of groups?

Is it more packed than it was last saturday? Weve decided to go but I gotta be the damn driver. Lucky I wont spend a penny on gas.
Old 03-15-08, 10:52 AM

Check out www.showlistaustin.com

The biggest free show today is the Mess With Texas 2 party at Waterloo Park, I think I'm gonna be at the Garden Party though, I'm DYING to see She & Him.
Old 03-17-08, 06:38 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Another great SXSW this year!

My favorite show was Blue Rodeo along with a bunch of special guest (including Rhett Miller of Old 97's). And a stong triple bill from X, Vampire Weekend, and The Raveonettes.

Favorite new act was The Heavy (from Noid, England) - think Curtis Mayfield vocals & samples over hard rock riffs. Another favorite was Neimo (from Paris) - kind of Iggy Pop rock with hints of New Order, all with a virtuoso guitarist (ie Van Halen/Blackmore).

Black Keys did a great afternoon showcase as La Zona Rosa.

Passenger (new British act) did an impressive set at Smokin' Music. Acoustic rock that reminded me of The Waterboys along with the harmonies of the Magic Numbers.

DevatchKa are this year's answer to Gogol Bordello. Duffy is this year's answer to Amy Winehouse. Both were pretty good, but neither were a great as their predecessors. Although I guess Duffy has the #1 single in Britain for the past few weeks, and that song ("Mercy") was a step above the others.

The Watson Twins were pleasant on both the eyes and the ears. And Carbon/Silicone was fun Kinks-ian rock from Mick Jones of the Clash and Tony James of GenX.

Wished I had seen She & Him (Zooey Deschanel is so hot!), along with another 20 acts that I missed, but that's life at SXSW. At one point I missed ...Trail of Dead in order to see X. You can't see it all, so just make the most of it and survive for another year!
Old 03-17-08, 07:26 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 74 Likes on 48 Posts
How was the X show? I gonna check them out in June.
Old 03-17-08, 08:32 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by cdollaz
How was the X show? I gonna check them out in June.
X were freakin' great! I've seen them a bunch over the years (including "back in the day", 'cause I ain't a kid anymore). This was maybe the best I've seen them. They rocked hard, were really tight, seemed to be having a lot of fun onstage, and played a great set including a lot of classics ("Los Angeles", "Hungry Wolf", "Johnny Hit and Run Paulene", "New World"). I heard they even did their cover of "Breathless" at the evening show, but I missed that one.

Have no fear - you won't be disappointed!