Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Feedback > Forum Feedback and Support
Reload this Page >

master exclusive exchange thread closed, why?

Forum Feedback and Support Post forum feedback and related problems, here.

Old 03-07-08, 03:40 PM
Challenge Guru & Comic Nerd

Received 670 Likes on 448 Posts

Here it was.

The only possible reason I see is that some new member popped in a few days ago trying to sell/trade copies of discs. He should have been banned and his posts deleted, but why should the whole thread be closed?
Old 03-07-08, 04:57 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
That was a cool thread, but it seamed to spiral out of control at the end. Swapping and trading is great, but selling promo discs is probably walking the line, and selling copies is crossing it. Dvd Talk probably doesnt want to bother going in and cleaning up the thread everyday. Too bad because I enjoy trading that kind of stuff. There really is no way too keep certian people from posting what they do, especially so openly and with out any regard. As the quasi moderator of the thread, You maybe should have frowned upon some of those posts and said so directly in those threads as direct responses?
Old 03-08-08, 07:26 AM

Originally Posted by ericn101
That was a cool thread, but it seamed to spiral out of control at the end. Swapping and trading is great, but selling promo discs is probably walking the line, and selling copies is crossing it. Dvd Talk probably doesnt want to bother going in and cleaning up the thread everyday. Too bad because I enjoy trading that kind of stuff. There really is no way too keep certian people from posting what they do, especially so openly and with out any regard. As the quasi moderator of the thread, You maybe should have frowned upon some of those posts and said so directly in those threads as direct responses?
There was no time to react, as the thread was closed the day of the offending post. I certainly would have notified the mods and posted that he was breaking the rules, and the law, if I had seen it before the thread the closed.

The thread was hardly a sea of iniquity, there was one time in 2006 where someone mentioned copies, and I told them that we don't do that here ( I tried to get that original Jason Forever disc, but to no avail.). I see a couple cases where someone, even myself, mentions that we have an extra copy of a certain title, but that is obviously just a second purchased DVD, not a illegal copy.

The recent offending party was suspended, but instead of his post being deleted (and the person's post who responded to him), the entire thread was closed.

Could someone give an official explanation please?

It seems ridiculous that one bad post can get a two year old continually updated thread closed.
Old 03-08-08, 11:46 PM
Mao

Received 63 Likes on 39 Posts
Trevor,

I always close threads when these things happen....I don't delete posts.

Is there a problem starting a new thread?
Old 03-09-08, 12:05 AM
Premium Member

Received 676 Likes on 456 Posts
Originally Posted by Mao
Trevor,

I always close threads when these things happen....I don't delete posts.

Is there a problem starting a new thread?
I think the reason this was raised was that the thread was just closed.

Not reason, just closed. Typically, there is a mod note of "this has gone to the shitter so I'm closing this, feel free to start a new one but be civil" type of thing.

I doubt he has a problem starting a new one, he was just questioning if he should because he didn't know why the other was closed.

And really, it would probably be better to delete the spammer than close a good thread, you are leaving his spam around which can be easily googled - he succeeded in his post as it's still there.

Spammers are typically deleted in Bargains and Hot Deals, but that's your call.
Old 03-09-08, 06:40 AM

Thanks for the response Mao. While I typically agree with you that nothing should ever be deleted, I agree with our milk supplier. The spammer's post is still there, people can still send him email, see links in his sig if he had them, etc. Spammers should be deleted, their content should not be allowed to stay on the forum.

I also agree that threads should never be closed without explanation. I know that you and the other mods are overworked and under(non)paid, but I think that the membership here appreciates a quick note at the bottom of the last post explaining why the thread is closed.

Obviously, starting a new thread is not a huge problem. But I'd rather not, and not to sound too melodramatic, here are my reasons. This is a thread that has been used for two years by many people, has links to it in dozens of other of our exclusive threads (main and weekly), and is bookmarked by many people. Also, consider your own longstanding and meticulously maintained threads. If a spammer came in and "crashed it", wouldn't it be a pain to re-create it? And consider all the other great or weekly threads on DVDtalk. They occasionally get moderator edited or spammers kicked out of them, and they never get closed.
Old 03-10-08, 12:20 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I see spam deleted all the time in other sections of DVD talk. A few were in TV talk the other day, and their posts were deleted and the threads stayed open.
Old 03-12-08, 09:46 AM

Still waiting for it to be re-opened. Mao?
Old 03-13-08, 07:49 AM
Mao

Let's strat a new thread and link to the old one instead.
Old 03-13-08, 07:58 AM

Originally Posted by Mao
Let's strat a new thread and link to the old one instead.
Can you at least temporarily open the old thread so that I can post links in the first post and add a last post with a link to the new thread?
Old 03-13-08, 11:20 PM
Mao

Go for it~
Old 03-14-08, 06:29 AM

Originally Posted by Mao
Go for it~
Thanks. Links added, you can reclose it.