DVD Talk
Chicago Leads in Sales Tax Rate (to pay for jobs that aren't needed) [Archive] - DVD Talk Forum

PDA

View Full Version : Chicago Leads in Sales Tax Rate (to pay for jobs that aren't needed)

grundle
03-06-08, 09:25 AM
I'm posting two articles here.

The first shows that Chicago has raised its sales tax to the highest of any major U.S. city.

The second shows how Chicago is wasting the taxpayers' money.

I think this tax increase is a bad idea. And I think that Chicago should stop the wasting of taxpayers' money that's in the second article.

What do you think?

http://www.webcpa.com/article.cfm?articleid=26937

Chicago Leads in Sales Tax Rate

March 4, 2008

After the Cook County Board voted over the weekend to double the county's sales tax rate to 1.75 percent, Chicagoans found themselves about to pay the highest sales tax rate of any major city in the nation: 10.25 percent.

The measure goes into effect in November. The 1.75 percent rate will be combined with the city sales tax for goods purchased in Chicago. The city will then lead the nation in sales tax rates, ahead of Memphis, at 9.25 percent, the next highest in the country, according to the Associated Press.

The extra taxes are projected to add about $426 million annually to the county treasury. The County Board approved the budget on a 10-7 vote, allowing Cook County to avoid court action to prevent its government offices from shutting down.

The extra funds will also allow the county to close a projected $234 million deficit and hire more than 1,000 new employees.

http://sayanythingblog.com/readers/entry/28_per_hour_pothole_patchers_means_no_mechanization/

March 05, 2008

$28 per hour Pothole Patchers means no Mechanization

March 5, 2008

There are some very clever automated pothole machines on the market. I have seen them operate. They come on top of the hole, a tooth goes in and clears out the hole and high powered air blows the debris and water out, the hole is sprayed with molten tar which drys the hole and hot asphalt is measured into the hole, rolled and vibrated down until it is as smooth as the surrounding pavement.

Itís fast, itís efficient, itís effective and it works. The machines arenít terribly expensive comparatively. And we always have potholes.

BUT we donít do it that way. We do it like was done 70 years ago. A crew drives to the pothole chips out the junk, sweeps it out, blows air in it, a little tar and a couple shovels of hot asphalt. Then, a guy with a hand tamper comes along behind and tamps. Thatís it. Bad and expensive fix.

Why? Unions and political patronage jobs. In Chicago and Cook County pothole repair crew members are paid 28 per hour plus overtime. I know men with PhDís who do this. Itís good money. And the work isnít hard.

These PhDs could be inventing better automated pothole repair machines but they donít because they are on the payoff. Itís better money to just suck on the political machine teat.

This is what is wrong with unions, political machines and politicians.

It costs money to elect democrats.

al_bundy
03-06-08, 10:51 AM
go down south and the republicans do the exact same thing

down in NO after Katrina they gave out patronage contracts which were sub'd 20 times before some poor illegal making $2 an hour finally did the work

OldDude
03-06-08, 10:51 AM
Why? Unions and political patronage jobs. In Chicago and Cook County pothole repair crew members are paid 28 per hour plus overtime. I know men with PhDís who do this. Itís good money. And the work isnít hard.

These PhDs could be inventing better automated pothole repair machines but they donít because they are on the payoff. Itís better money to just suck on the political machine teat.

Those must be PoliSci or English PhDs. $28/hr x 2000 hrs per year ain't shit to an Engineering PhD working in a warm, cushy office (cubicle??) for a good bit more.

Venusian
03-06-08, 11:06 AM
i agree. it aint much for this engineering MS

JasonF
03-06-08, 11:23 AM
Guy with blog says something that doesn't pass the smell test -- on the next Tales of the Unbelievable!

Hiro11
03-06-08, 11:26 AM
I am shocked and agog to find shadyness, dare I say corruption, in the Cook County government!

This state is unbelievable for its complete lack of governmental transparency and public official integrity at all levels.

Chicago Mayor Daley's administation has been the subject of about 60 Federal indictments over the past few years, some of which go right up to his top aides (Al Sanchez, for example) but never extend all the way to Daley himself. Oh, no no no.

Governor Blagojevich is currently involved in more scandals than seems possible given that there are only 24 hours in a day... he's a true gangster. His fingers are in every shady deal in the state. Suspicious pardons for lake dumping, tight relationships with the shakedown artist Rezko, weirdly "mistaken" (yeah right)donations to certain politically powerful churches, Sopranos-style run ins over real estate/ waste management deals with his gangster father-in-law, cushy tollway leasing deals to political supporters, hiring fraud etc. His rap sheet is a mile long. This is perhaps not surprising for an Illinois Gov, given that his predecessor is friggen in prison.

Despite all of this, Todd Stroger and the Cook County Board are probably the worst of the bad bunch. Patronage and nepotisim ( http://www.suntimes.com/news/metro/824052,CST-NWS-county04.article ) reign supreme. Stroger was himself "elected" under very shady circumstances when his father, the previous Board President, died. Graft, fraud etc, etc, etc. It's all there.

I've lived in many states, but Illinois just rubs your face in its corruption. It's worse (or at least more obvious and blatant) here than any other place I've seen. This place is literally run by organized crime. maybe that's why the streets are spotless, the buildings are all sparkling and beautiful, the planters overflow with flowers in spring, the parks are all world class etc. Say what you want about gangsters, at least they get things done.

cinten
03-06-08, 11:29 AM
The extra funds will also allow the county to close a projected $234 million deficit and hire more than 1,000 new employees to fill pot holes! Holy crap that's a lot of pot holes.

JasonF
03-06-08, 11:42 AM
The extra funds will also allow the county to close a projected $234 million deficit and hire more than 1,000 new employees to fill pot holes! Holy crap that's a lot of pot holes.

One of the "perks" of living in a cold climate. Potholes are caused when water seeps into the road bed, then freezes and thaws. Not much you can do about it.

By the way, I agree with everything Hiro said about corruption in Chicago. There are a lot of guys (and gals) who are clean and who are fighting the good fight, but there are an awful lot of dirty guys running around the machinery of politics in this state.

Tracer Bullet
03-06-08, 11:57 AM
So I shouldn't move to Chicago. Got it.

wm lopez
03-06-08, 12:01 PM
So I shouldn't move to Chicago. Got it.
Nope. Somebody's gotta pay for the water wall and that giant Bean in Grant Park. But the people seem to be more upset about Wrigley Field's name being sold than higher sales tax. At least the Cub fans.

Ranger
03-06-08, 12:04 PM
Man, THAT's the highest percent? Jeez, the city of Baton Rouge already has 9% and so does much of the state.

I think it's high, but sales taxes doesn't bother me as much as property taxes do.

Ranger
03-06-08, 12:05 PM
And I thought there were a couple cities in Florida that had a 12% sale taxes.

Groucho
03-06-08, 12:32 PM
It's probably not worth pointing out, but nowhere in either article does it say that the 1000 new jobs will be $28/hr pothole fillers.

grundle
03-06-08, 12:41 PM
go down south and the republicans do the exact same thing

down in NO after Katrina they gave out patronage contracts which were sub'd 20 times before some poor illegal making $2 an hour finally did the work

Both major parties do that in cities all over the country.

For the record, New Orleans had a Democratic mayor and Louisiana had Democratic governor at that time.

grundle
03-06-08, 12:42 PM
Those must be PoliSci or English PhDs. $28/hr x 2000 hrs per year ain't shit to an Engineering PhD working in a warm, cushy office (cubicle??) for a good bit more.

That's a good point that you make. That's why I didn't bold that part of the article.

grundle
03-06-08, 12:46 PM
And I thought there were a couple cities in Florida that had a 12% sale taxes.

There could be. But it there are, they aren't major cities.

grundle
03-06-08, 12:47 PM
It's probably not worth pointing out, but nowhere in either article does it say that the 1000 new jobs will be $28/hr pothole fillers.

I know. But money is fungible.

grundle
03-06-08, 12:49 PM
Would the people who voted for "None of the above" please explain why they voted that way? That's why I asked, "What do you think?" in my post.

Numanoid
03-06-08, 02:13 PM
I've lived in the Chicago area my whole life, and Hiro's account is pretty spot on. The Todd Stroger coup was something you wouldn't believe in a movie, yet it actually happened!

ChiTownAbs, Inc
03-06-08, 07:42 PM
Suck it New York. We're #1

JasonF
03-06-08, 08:03 PM
Suck it New York. We're #1
:lol:

Tracer Bullet
03-06-08, 08:19 PM
I love how all these random cities have feuds with New York without New York knowing :lol:

MartinBlank
03-06-08, 09:47 PM
It's always been my understanding that per capita. Ill is the worst state for the hiring of tax termites. Public Sector jobs vs Private Sector, apparently the numbers are pretty drastic.

EVERYONE WORKS FOR THE GUMMY-MINT!! :banana:

wm lopez
03-07-08, 05:44 AM
I've lived in the Chicago area my whole life, and Hiro's account is pretty spot on. The Todd Stroger coup was something you wouldn't believe in a movie, yet it actually happened! That same thing can happen now with the Mexicans.

VinVega
03-07-08, 07:12 AM
I'm sure the sales tax increase is only for these pothole fillers. ;)

grundle
03-07-08, 09:23 AM
I'm sure the sales tax increase is only for these pothole fillers. ;)

No, it's not. But money is fungible.

Sdallnct
03-07-08, 10:13 AM
We have 8.25 here in Dallas and I think that is high. 10% is ridiculous. I'm surprised there wasn't more of an up roar from retail and restaurants.

Do they have a different rate for large purchase items like cars?

grundle
03-07-08, 01:05 PM
We have 8.25 here in Dallas and I think that is high. 10% is ridiculous. I'm surprised there wasn't more of an up roar from retail and restaurants.

Do they have a different rate for large purchase items like cars?

I don't know.

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.2.0