DVD Talk
LA City : Pets must be Spayed or Neutured @ 4 months [Archive] - DVD Talk Forum

PDA

View Full Version : LA City : Pets must be Spayed or Neutured @ 4 months

General Zod
02-27-08, 08:57 AM
Interesting. I do believe I should have the freedom to buy and breed a cat if I want to. This is outrageous government intervention into our home in my opinion.

http://apnews.myway.com/article/20080227/D8V2BEM00.html

Pet Sterilization Becomes Law in LA

LOS ANGELES (AP) - Mayor Antonio Villaraigosa on Tuesday signed one of the nation's toughest laws on pet sterilization, requiring most dogs and cats to be spayed or neutered by the time they are 4 months old.

The ordinance is aimed at reducing and eventually eliminating the thousands of euthanizations conducted in Los Angeles' animal shelters every year.

"We will, sooner rather than later, become a no-kill city and this is the greatest step in that direction," Councilman Tony Cardenas said as he held a kitten at a City Hall news conference.

Councilman Richard Alarcon, who like Cardenas is a co-author of the bill, brought his two pet Chihuahuas to the event to be neutered in a van operated by the city.

The ordinance does exempt some animals, including those that have competed in shows or sporting competitions, guide dogs, animals used by police agencies and those belonging to professional breeders.

The average pet owner, however, must have their dog or cat spayed or neutered by the time it reaches 4 months of age (as late as 6 months with a letter from a veterinarian). People with older unneutered pets and newcomers to the city with animals also have to obey the law.

First-time offenders will receive information on subsidized sterilization services and be given an additional 60 days. If they still fail to comply they could be fined $100 and ordered to serve eight hours of community service. A subsequent offense could result in a $500 fine or 40 hours of community service.

The ordinance brings the nation's second-largest city into line with about a dozen of its neighbors that have similar laws.

Many states require animals adopted from shelters to be sterilized, and New York City requires the same for animals bought from pet shops, but restrictions such as those in Southern California are rare. A 2006 Rhode Island law requires most cats to be sterilized.

A measure similar to Los Angeles' passed the California Assembly last year but did not gain state Senate support.

Los Angeles animal shelters took in 50,000 cats and dogs last year and euthanized approximately 15,000 at a cost of $2 million, according to city officials.

Bob Barker, the retired game-show host who famously ended every "Price is Right" show with a call for sterilizing pets, pushed for the law's adoption and was among those at Tuesday's news conference.

"The next time that you hear me say, 'Help control the pet population, have your pet spayed or neutered,' I can add, 'It's the law in Los Angeles,'" a jubilant Barker said.

Groucho
02-27-08, 09:12 AM
Interesting. I do believe I should have the freedom to buy and breed a cat if I want to.It says that breeders are exempt.

General Zod
02-27-08, 09:14 AM
It says that breeders are exempt.
Yes but you have to be a licensed breeder. The average pet owner who wants to breed their pet fluffy will not be allowed to.

Tracer Bullet
02-27-08, 09:16 AM
Yes but you have to be a licensed breeder. The average pet owner who wants to breed their pet fluffy will not be allowed to.

And what will happen to that litter?

kvrdave
02-27-08, 10:12 AM
And what will happen to that litter?

They will become our overlords, which is why we need this type of action now!

DVD Josh
02-27-08, 10:17 AM

Licensing requirements have been an accepted part of commercial regulations for centuries. It's not an unfair invasion "of the home" in the least.

Especially in this case, where the government has the right to make regulations for the health and welfare of the citizens. Feral animals present a health and safety threat, and the capture, care and destruction of surplus animal population puts undue strain on public resources. This passes constitutional muster with incredible ease.

spainlinx0
02-27-08, 10:28 AM
I just got a puppy, and the vets around here won't spay her until she's 6 months old.

kvrdave
02-27-08, 10:44 AM
I just got a puppy, and the vets around here won't spay her until she's 6 months old.

I hope you rot in jail for the health and safety of the rest of us. :grunt:

spainlinx0
02-27-08, 11:09 AM
If it makes you feel any better, the girlfriend forced us to get the dog. To make myself feel better, at least it isn't a horse.

kvrdave
02-27-08, 11:28 AM
That doesn't make me feel any better. :grunt:

fishdude
02-27-08, 01:43 PM
Our vet wouldn't neuter our dog until he was a year old....said it was bad for his development and future health.

Kind of BS that the government would force you to do possible harm to your pet.

Ranger
02-27-08, 02:03 PM
Licensing requirements have been an accepted part of commercial regulations for centuries. It's not an unfair invasion "of the home" in the least.

Especially in this case, where the government has the right to make regulations for the health and welfare of the citizens. Feral animals present a health and safety threat, and the capture, care and destruction of surplus animal population puts undue strain on public resources. This passes constitutional muster with incredible ease.
Well said.

kvrdave
02-27-08, 02:15 PM
Our vet wouldn't neuter our dog until he was a year old....said it was bad for his development and future health.

Kind of BS that the government would force you to do possible harm to your pet.

You expect better judgement from the government? Is it because it is California government?

fujishig
02-27-08, 02:59 PM
Yay, finally an answer to the financial crisis in LA!

Seriously, though, how are they going to enforce this? Make vets do it? Have cops inspect your dogs when you're walking them? Police raids when a new litter is born?

All of my cats are spayed/neutered, but I'd still like to have that choice, especially if they're indoor kitties.

Vibiana
02-29-08, 12:23 PM
I think this is great. I wish they would pass this law nationwide.

The only people who need to be exempted are licensed breeders and people who show their animals (because altered dogs and cats are excluded from competition in most shows). In my experience, people who show aren't likely to let their pets breed indiscriminately in the first place -- they are showing because they appreciate the qualities that responsible breeding brings out.

The average pet owner who allows a dog or cat to have puppies or kittens will have to scramble to find homes for them, and all of us have seen the miserable, scraggly strays that result.

I have six cats. Vets can spay or neuter earlier than six months -- if yours won't, find another. My namesake cat, Vibiana, was spayed at 12 weeks.

Ginwen
02-29-08, 06:01 PM
I have six cats. Vets can spay or neuter earlier than six months -- if yours won't, find another. My namesake cat, Vibiana, was spayed at 12 weeks.That does depend on the particular case. My vet (who happens to be my wife) usually does our cats around 4 months, but there are some instances (especially with some particular kinds of dogs) that she won't do them before 6 (of course, they can write a note for that so we're cool there). I think she's done 3 months before but she doesn't really like to do them that early so it takes special circumstances. The one year someone mentioned above seems to me to be excessive but I didn't ask her if there were circumstances that would warrant it.

DVD Polizei
02-29-08, 08:29 PM
I, for one, welcome my pussy overlords.

kvrdave
02-29-08, 10:48 PM
Shut up and do what the government knows best, people. Unless it is an instance in which you disagree. In those cases, it isn't okay.

DVD Polizei
03-01-08, 12:04 AM
:sad:

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.2.0