Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Redbelt (Mamet, 2008) — Chiwetel Ejiofor's jiu-jitsu movie

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Search this Thread

Old 02-23-08, 09:22 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts

Redbelt

Written and Directed by David Mamet
Starring: Chiwetel Ejiofor, Tim Allen(?)

Set in the west-side of Los Angeles fight world, a world inhabited by bouncers, cage-fighters, cops and special forces types, Redbelt, is the story of Mike Terry (Chiwetel Ejiofor), a Jiu-Jitsu teacher who has avoided the prize fighting circuit, choosing instead to pursue an honorable life by operating a self-defense studio with a samurai’s code. Terry and his wife Sondra (Alice Braga), struggle to keep the business running to make ends meet. An accident on a dark, rainy night at the Academy between an off duty officer (Max Martini) and a distraught lawyer (Emily Moritimer) puts in motion a series of events that will change Terry’s life dramatically introducing him to a world of promoters (Ricky Jay, Joe Mantegna) and movie star Chet Frank (Tim Allen). Faced with this, in order to pay off his debts and regain his honor, Terry must step into the ring for the first time in his life.

HD Trailers

<hr>

At first I was lukewarm but once I saw that David Mamet is involved, I was all in. It's also nice to see some Mamet regulars (especially Ricky Jay). And look, there's Dirt Diver too.

I hope this gets more than just a limited release.
Old 02-23-08, 09:33 AM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts
Mamet, eh? I bet I know what the top three prizes in the tournament are.
Old 02-23-08, 01:34 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
A David Mamet karate movie with Tim Allen? Weird to say the least.
Old 02-23-08, 03:04 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Cool to see Chiwetel Ejiofor get a lead part especially in a Mamet film.
Old 02-24-08, 01:15 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 201 Likes on 134 Posts
Cool - didn't know about this. I'm a big fan of Mamet and love Ejiofor's work as well.

On a side note, if you've never seen Stephen Frears' Dirty Pretty Things starring Ejiofor and Amelie's Audrey Tautou, give it a rental at least. Great film, written by the screenwriter of Eastern Promises.
Old 02-24-08, 10:54 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 243 Likes on 178 Posts
Looks good. I definately want to see this.
Old 02-24-08, 02:37 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by Groucho
Mamet, eh? I bet I know what the top three prizes in the tournament are.

Looking forward to this.
Old 02-24-08, 05:07 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Sorry, I love BJJ, but its pretty boring if you don't understand the nuances of it, and to try and make it exciting is going to be pretty unrealistic... But I guess its got to be better than Never Give In.
Old 02-24-08, 06:40 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I'm in.
Old 02-24-08, 10:56 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Originally Posted by FantasticVSDoom
Sorry, I love BJJ, but its pretty boring if you don't understand the nuances of it, and to try and make it exciting is going to be pretty unrealistic... But I guess its got to be better than Never Give In.
It's Mamet, man. He made selling land interesting.
Old 02-24-08, 11:02 PM
X
Administrator

Received 154 Likes on 124 Posts
Originally Posted by RyoHazuki
A David Mamet karate movie with Tim Allen? Weird to say the least.
I wouldn't call this a "karate" movie.
Old 02-25-08, 08:16 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 48 Likes on 35 Posts
Weird, yes. After seeing the trailer I thought it didn't look awful. That's a start.
Old 02-25-08, 07:11 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Looks interesting. I agree that trying to make BJJ interesting and fun to watch is not realistic unless epic music and a insane story line is used
Old 02-25-08, 11:08 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I met "Chewie" at a hostel in Paris right before his first big movie. My buddy and I had checked into one of those community hostel rooms and our roommates turned out to be Chewie and a friend of his from London. We all grabbed dinner together one night and they told us they were actors and in Paris to check out mime schools. He was very nice. It was 1997 and he had just finished filming Amistad and told us he was going to be in this Spielberg movie coming out in the US. We thought he was full of shit. But lo and behold, there he was. Now he's been in tons of movies I like. My only cool movie star story... (although I did meet Robin Williams once in one of those NYC discount electronics stores and he was just weird).
Old 04-03-08, 12:16 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

New trailer:

http://www.apple.com/trailers/sony/redbelt/hd/

Limited to NY/LA on May 2. Everywhere May 9.
Old 04-03-08, 01:59 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Looks interesting. I love Mamet's stuff. I'm sure I'll give it a shot.

= J
Old 04-03-08, 09:53 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

It's like the UFC meets House of Games.

Looks great.
Old 05-10-08, 06:29 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Bump since the movie is now in general release on ~1200 screens. It's also sitting at a pretty favorable 70% on Rotten Tomatoes and 69 on Metacritic.
Old 05-10-08, 09:12 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
David Mamet writes and directs "Redbelt", a story about Mike Terry, who runs a jiu-jitsu training spot, and happens to save an actor from a bar beatdown, and finds his whole life turned upsidedown in ways he could have never forseen. Chiwetel Ejiofor anchors "Redbelt" with steady grace as Mike, who is honorable in his outlook with martial arts when it comes to prize-fighting (having eschewed it for his entire life), but faces such an predicament as financial times hit him hard.

Give it to Mamet to turn even this sort of story into a film with good solid dialogue and criss-crossing motives from almost everyone in the story, producing twists and turns that confuse Mike and keep the audience guessing as to how it will all unfold. The cast is solid, Mamet fans will enjoy seeing appearances from his stable of actors from Mamet's previous films and TV efforts.

Saw it last night, but after sleeping on it, I give the films 3 stars, or a grade of B.

Last edited by Patman; 05-10-08 at 09:15 AM.
Old 05-10-08, 02:22 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I really liked this film. I liked how the film is a MMA film with less focus on fights and more attention to philosophy. Ejiofor rocks.
Old 05-10-08, 09:06 PM

Just got back from watching this. I really enjoyed it. Going in, I knew it had some martial arts aspects to it, but that's about it. I was pleasantly surprised to learn that David Mamet was the write/director and it wasn't just another "Karate" flick.

Great performances by everyone.
Old 05-10-08, 09:19 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Caught a matinee this morning/afternoon. Definitely one of the better movies I've seen this year. Ejiofor is quickly becoming one of my favorite actors.
Old 05-10-08, 09:52 PM
Dan
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,183 Likes on 835 Posts
Saw this today (early afternoon in a practically empty theatre).
I absolutely LOVED it. I love David Mamet's writing and direction, especially his refusal to 'summarize' everything for the audience. It makes the movie feel so much more real, because we aren't flat-out told why certain characters are in certain situations (ie: the lawyer at the beginning).
This is the first movie in quite a few years that I've wanted to see again right after it ended. I had to resist... although I may end up caving in and going again tomorrow.
I feel sorry for the two teenagers who appeared to 'sneak in' as soon as the previews started. I think they were expecting Never Back Down 2 or something.
Old 05-10-08, 10:20 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Glad to hear it's good. I've wanted to see it anyway.
Old 05-10-08, 10:36 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Was pleasantly surprised with this movie as for the most part it was really good... A few hokey parts, but honestly, when dealing with martial arts movies, especially BJJ, you have to add that as real life is incredibly boring and not transferable to film at all. Ejiofor was great, and of all the special appearances, I thought Jean-Jacque Machado did the best. One of my favs of the year so far.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.