Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Shopping Discussions > Store Forum
Reload this Page >

Sharper Image files for bankruptcy

Community
Search
Store Forum Share Your Shopping Experiences at Stores both Online and Off.

Search this Thread

Old 02-20-08, 11:55 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

http://www.reuters.com/article/hotSt...EN401220080220

Sharper Image files for Chapter 11 bankruptcy

Wed Feb 20, 2008 10:08am EST

NEW YORK (Reuters) - Retailer Sharper Image Corp has filed for Chapter 11 bankruptcy protection, citing declining sales, three straight years of losses and litigation involving its Ionic Breeze air purifiers.

The San Francisco-based company filed for protection late Tuesday in U.S. bankruptcy court in Wilmington, Delaware. Sharper Image said it had $251.5 million in assets and $199 million in debt as of January 31, according to the filing. Cash on hand totaled about $700,000.

Its shares plunged 92 cents, or 64 percent, to 52 cents on Nasdaq.

"Sharper Image is in a severe liquidity crisis," Chief Financial Officer Rebecca Roedell said in a separate filing.

She said the company has suffered from increased competition, narrowing margins, litigation, lower consumer and market confidence, tighter credit from suppliers, and poorly performing stores.

"The foregoing has been compounded by the ever-tightening and volatile credit and financing markets," she added.

Sharper Image has seen its sales decline steadily since 2004, and has posted net losses in fiscal 2005, 2006, and 2007.

According to court papers, the electronics retailer also cited "negative publicity" from the litigation involving its Ionic Breeze air purifiers for its falling revenues.

In October, a federal court denied approval of a settlement of class-action suits related to the efficacy of the air purifiers. The product was sold to 3 million consumers, according to a previous filing.

Following the ruling, Sharper Image's stock fell 18 percent, weakening support from suppliers and choking working capital as creditors tightened or withdrew credit terms, according to court documents.

The company deals with about 650 vendors and suppliers on a credit basis, many of whom began to request cash upon delivery, according to court papers.

Sharper Image is seeking a $60 million loan arranged by Wells Fargo Retail Finance LLC to keep operating, according to the court papers.

The company said in a separate filing it replaced Chief Executive Steven Lightman with Robert Conway on February 14.

(Reporting by Jonathan Stempel and Justin Grant; editing by Jeffrey Benkoe)

© Reuters 2007

Boy, I haven't posted in here for years!

Chris
Old 02-20-08, 12:25 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 49 Likes on 38 Posts
Where am I supposed to get my $2,000 massage chairs and $600 vacuums now?
Old 02-20-08, 01:21 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
long overdue, surprised they lasted 6 months. When is FYE and their sister companies going out of business?

They have cool gadgets, but never anything I could afford.
Old 02-20-08, 05:58 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by Jacoby Ellsbury
long overdue, surprised they lasted 6 months. When is FYE and their sister companies going out of business?

They have cool gadgets, but never anything I could afford.
This was the kind of store you walk around saying, "If only I was rich..."
Old 02-20-08, 07:09 PM

Damn. I really needed a $300 toothpick.

Where ever will I go now?

Oh yeah. Brookstone.
Old 02-20-08, 07:15 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I guess Dwight won't be able to buy gaydar now.
Old 02-21-08, 11:26 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Originally Posted by boc4ever
This was the kind of store you walk around saying, "If only I was stupid..."

fixed
Old 02-21-08, 11:28 AM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts
Damn it! And I had my heart set on one of those full-size Stormtrooper statues they sell.
Old 02-21-08, 11:42 AM

Originally Posted by Groucho
Damn it! And I had my heart set on one of those full-size Stormtrooper statues they sell.
Fire sale?

Chris
Old 02-21-08, 02:28 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
I'll have to find out when mine is having their big sales. Wouldn't mind picking up some cool crap on the cheap.
Old 02-21-08, 09:39 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by SoSpacey
fixed
Well done, and agreed.
Old 03-03-08, 07:39 PM
Banned

Bankruptcy makes gift cards worthless

By ANNE D'INNOCENZIO, AP Business Writer
2 hours, 35 minutes ago

NEW YORK - You know that Sharper Image gift card you got for Christmas? Right now, it's worthless. And other gift cards in your wallet could lose their value, too.

ADVERTISEMENT

As more retailers file for bankruptcy or go out of business, more than $75 million in gift cards are at risk of becoming worthless pieces of plastic this year.

"If I knew this was going to happen, I would have used them right away," said Jon Tapper, a public relations executive from Boston who received two Sharper Image cards as business gifts just a few weeks ago. Their total face value is $50.

"I love gift cards, but now this makes me think twice."

The Sharper Image announced late last month that it was suspending the acceptance of gift cards, at least temporarily. It urged shoppers to check the company Web site later this month for an update. That is typical of businesses that reorganize under Chapter 11 bankruptcy, which treats gift cards as a loan to the company, not as cash.

For many shoppers, it's a harsh lesson about the risks of gift cards. Consumers spent an estimated $26.3 billion in gift cards at retailers alone last holiday season, compared with $24.8 billion in 2006 and $18.48 billion in 2005, according to the National Retail Federation.

C. Britt Beemer, chairman of America's Research Group, says "you will see a lot of frustration among customers. You basically stole (money) out of the customers' pocket. They will never forgive you."

The number of retail bankruptcies or liquidations this year is expected to reach the highest levels since the 1991 recession.

Brian Riley, senior analyst at The TowerGroup, estimates that shoppers could lose more than $75 million just from stores and restaurant closings in 2008.

TowerGroup's figure doesn't include mom-and-pop services like the local nail salon. Riley said such small operations, which are most vulnerable to economic downturns, pose the biggest risks to gift card holders.

The gift-card problem provides more ammunition to consumer-advocacy groups that have lashed out against expiration dates and burdensome fees imposed if cards are not used within a certain time frame. More than 20 states have passed regulations loosening restrictions on the use of gift cards.

"Consumers need to buy gift cards with their eyes wide open," said Jack Gillis, a spokesman for the Consumer Federation of America.

Bankrupt businesses also face the risk that card holders left in the cold could defect to other stores just when struggling merchants need their customers the most.

Even if bankrupt retailers want to honor the gift cards, they may not be able to, according to Howard Kleinberg, director of the bankruptcy practice at Meyer, Suozzi, English & Klein.

Either they can't afford it or their creditors' committee or the bankruptcy court may not allow it. Gift cards amount to debt, and therefore holders are not necessarily going to get paid, Kleinberg said.

Sharper Image officials did not immediately return phone calls but a customer-service representative told a reporter that shoppers would eventually be able to use the gift cards. She declined to say when.

Gift card holders fall in the class of unsecured creditors, which is "low in the pecking order," Kleinberg said. Those at the top of the list are secured creditors — with debts backed by assets such as real estate or accounts receivable.

Of course, if a company is purchased through a Chapter 11 bankruptcy process, the new buyer could honor gift cards.

That appears to be the case with Fortunoff, the jewelry and home furnishings chain that agreed last month to sell to an affiliate of NRDC Equity Partners LLC, which owns Lord & Taylor department stores and plans to expand the Fortunoff chain. A Fortunoff spokeswoman said the company is honoring gift cards.

Riley, of The TowerGroup, estimated that the retailer did about $32 million in business last year from gift cards.

Sharper Image's rival, Merrimack, N.H.-based Brookstone Inc., is capitalizing on the situation. It announced last week that it would exchange Sharper Image gift cards for 25 percent off any purchase, no matter the amount of the gift card or the cost of the item.

"We thought it would be a great way of acquiring new customers," said Brookstone spokesman Robert Padgett. "We are here for the long haul, and thought it would be good to let them know."

Ricki Gard, a manager of the Saks Fifth Avenue's Premier salon in New York, said it has been able to attract new clients from high-end spa Georgette Klinger, which abruptly closed its locations around the country a week before Christmas, leaving gift card holders in a lurch.

The Saks salon, leased to an outside company, has been offering 30 percent discounts on first-time services for Georgette Klinger gift card holders, though that was little comfort to many who had thousands of dollars stored on their prepaid cards.

Carol Ann Razza, a Long Beach, N.Y., resident and Georgette Klinger customer for 18 years, lost several hundred dollars when the salon closed its doors.

"You really feel like you were robbed," said Razza, who had a prepaid credit stored on the spa's computer.

Experts say shoppers should never assume that if a retailer files for bankruptcy but remains in business, that their gift cards will be redeemable. Sharper Image, for example, plans to close 90 of its 184 stores soon after selling their inventory.

On the other hand, aggressive store closings can give some consumers the impression that the company is gone for good, and their gift cards are worthless.

Lonnie Miller thought her $50 gift card from KB Toys Inc. wasn't valid. The Wayne, N.J., resident thought the toy retailer went out of business after watching a few stores in her area shut down. Upon learning that KB toys is in still business, she said she will use her card online.

As for her $25 Fortunoff card — a gift from her aunt — she went out Friday to spend it immediately.

"With the uncertainty today, I didn't want my aunt's gift to be only a card," Miller said.
http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20080303/...tcy_gift_cards
Old 03-04-08, 10:32 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,937 Likes on 1,498 Posts
crap, there goes my discover points SI gift card... ugh.
Old 03-05-08, 03:43 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

i liked walking into the stores and just checking out the gadgets but i would never have bought anything from them...like others have said, their items are far overpriced. i never understood why anyone would buy from them.
Old 03-18-08, 10:30 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts
As posted above, far overdue. Coolest, most expensive, useless stuff probably ever in retail. Although, I do have a friend that paid 4K for a life-size alien (ridley scott version) replica that is pretty awesome looking in his foyer.
Old 03-18-08, 09:00 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 221 Likes on 177 Posts
"If I knew this was going to happen, I would have used them right away," said Jon Tapper, a public relations executive from Boston who received two Sharper Image cards as business gifts just a few weeks ago. Their total face value is $50.
Which would get you absolutely nothing. I'm surprised this store didn't charge you a cover to get inside.