Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Shopping Discussions > Store Forum
Reload this Page >

Best Place to Sell DVD's Online???

Community
Search
Store Forum Share Your Shopping Experiences at Stores both Online and Off.

Search this Thread

Old 02-20-08, 10:52 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Since DVD Planet's quote machine is down for awhile, what's another good site that will do a DVD buyback at a reasonable price? Does anyone know of anymore sites?
Old 02-20-08, 10:59 AM
DVD Talk Legend

there's several threads on this already.

off the top of my head:

secondspin.com (wait for them to have a deal where they pay an extra 20%)
newtownvideo.com
Old 02-21-08, 11:55 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
It all depends on the title but I've sold 100+ DVD's on secondspin.com with no problems. I usually wait until they have a 20% sell bonus.

But before you do anything try the DVDtalk exchange forum first

http://forum.dvdtalk.com/forumdisplay.php?f=6
Old 10-10-08, 05:32 PM

Sorry to reboot this thread, but what's aother good site to sell music CD's online?
Old 10-13-08, 10:01 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 798 Likes on 566 Posts
I have sent two batches of DVDs/CDs to Newtownvideo and have been very pleased with the service. I don't know of a better place to unload unwanted movies or music.
+ Payment with Paypal rather than store credit.
+ Vast inventory
+ Fast receipt and payment, at least in my experience.
+ Overall, best prices of all of these online stores that accept used goods...
- ...but many popular titles are either chronically "overstocked" or priced well under a buck, making the shipping thereof dubiously worthwhile.
Old 10-14-08, 04:46 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

wherehouse.com
Old 09-22-10, 04:22 PM

Re: Best Place to Sell DVD's Online???

Figured this thread deserved another bump to see if there have been any changes in the past couple of years.

Well, I have a ton of unopened DVDs that I will never catch up on watching so I posted them on Amazon marketplace. I chose Amazon because they don't charge a commission up front if the item doesn't sell (unlike eBay).

I would use Exchange forum of dvdtalk.com, but don't like the fact that your full name has to be disclosed to get ratings. Checked out dvdhunt.com and it doesn't seem like there's any other good alternatives out there.
Old 09-23-10, 08:58 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts

A reminder for those who sell their used dvds on Ebay and Amazon - The IRS will start tracking these sales beginning in 2011, and you'll be required to register your SSN. The real bitch is the IRS is goign to look at this as income earned unless you got your original receipts to prove expenses.
Old 10-12-10, 02:13 PM

It depends on what your need is for selling DVDs. If you are looking to sell DVDs and make a living off of that then probably Amazon, Ebay or Half would be your options. If you just want to cash in on your DVD collection then online buyback company would be the choice.
I sell my DVDs and video games to online buyback company EagleSaver when I do not need them anymore. They buy different things like DVDs, books, CDs and video games. You can use their free shipping label and they have been processing my order very fast.
You can also try posting your DVDs to Craigslist but I did not have a good luck selling my stuff their. All the people who call are garage sale types and want to bargain you down. My experience with Craigslist was it was a lot of wasted time with people who were not really interested in my DVDs.
Old 10-12-10, 02:34 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 82 Likes on 70 Posts

I just had a weird thing happen on Amazon.com Marketplace.
Listing is for a DVD package. It's OOP. Asking price was just shy of $800.
I check my email, and I have three emails:
* Item has sold out.
* Sold, ship now.
* Your account is under review.

All three have the exact same timestamp on them.

So someone apparently bought this item, and at the same time, Amazon decided to "flag" my account for "further review". The email from this says to go ahead and ship any sales, but they will "hold" my money until the account is complete.

I'm somewhat uncomfortable with a couple things:
one, rethinking the wisdom of selling such a high priced item on Amazon Marketplace. I have not had any issues with buyers (except for them not leaving feedback), but I sure don't want a ~650 net sale to be the first one.
two, the fact that I am supposed to ship my item and then wait some indeterminate time before getting paid.
three, and of course rethinking selling the item as well ("Hmm, I never finished that series"...) then again, 600 bucks is a decent chunk of change, and is definitely a profit based on what I paid, and the odds of my watching it are low.

Any comments/suggestions? I was planning on shipping UPS, maybe with signature required, as a little more "secure" than USPS, especially given the value of the items. And yes, Amazon's commission is insane (15% for DVDs), and shipping reimbursement is lame (5 bucks for Expedited, granted, that's fine for a single disk.)

Oh yeah, and I was waiting for the IRS to start looking at these "new sources of revenue".
Old 10-19-10, 12:34 AM
g
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 85 Likes on 43 Posts

What item sold for that amount? USPS also has signature confirmation but I would advise shipping UPS and adding insurance. Have you checked the profile of the person who bought it. have you googled their name and address? I guess Id be worried about that amount too.
Old 10-22-10, 07:48 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by dvdjunkie32
A reminder for those who sell their used dvds on Ebay and Amazon - The IRS will start tracking these sales beginning in 2011, and you'll be required to register your SSN. The real bitch is the IRS is goign to look at this as income earned unless you got your original receipts to prove expenses.
Did not know this. Thanks. But it looks like this is only if you sell over 20k of merchandise. http://taxprof.typepad.com/taxprof_b...-to-start.html

I put up what I could on Amazon, but I have a whole box of unopened dvds that go for less than 3 bucks. After amazon's commission cut and shipping I think I come out at a wash. What the hell happened to the value of dvds?

Any other place to get rid of them?
Old 10-22-10, 10:02 PM

Originally Posted by Big Worms
Did not know this. Thanks. But it looks like this is only if you sell over 20k of merchandise. http://taxprof.typepad.com/taxprof_b...-to-start.html

I put up what I could on Amazon, but I have a whole box of unopened dvds that go for less than 3 bucks. After amazon's commission cut and shipping I think I come out at a wash. What the hell happened to the value of dvds?

Any other place to get rid of them?
try swapping sites such as swap.com or swapadvd.com. If you plan on selling a lot on amazon, then look into a pro subscription seller account. $40 a month lets you do more such as create your own pages+ you do not get charged the .99C commission.

You can make something rather then nothing. In that scenario, you get $3-1.56 ship so its not much.