Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Shopping Discussions > Store Forum
Reload this Page >

How do you guys buy movies?

Community
Search
Store Forum Share Your Shopping Experiences at Stores both Online and Off.

Search this Thread

Old 02-20-08, 09:31 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I need you help here, how do you guys know where to buy the new dvd from. I mean where to get the best prices from. I want to know do people buy from one place or order from multiple sites. I personally like to buy from one place so that I don't have to pay multiple shipping fees. Also, would you rather buy from a store or wait a couple of days to have it shipped.
Old 02-20-08, 10:49 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 216 Likes on 155 Posts
It's not complicated man... I check a few sites (amazon mostly) to see what the price is...and decide if I want to get it. Check the store ads, or even easier - the listings here every wk for in-store prices. I'm buying Blu-Rays now, so I am buying 90% online due to the cheaper prices. I also tend to wait for the twice-yearly 20% sales online as well. (those are at deep discount and dvd planet)
Old 02-20-08, 11:41 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I go to best buy and buy about 4 copies of each new release (in case my friends want some) Then I wait about a month and return them all, then I get pissed when they tell me I'm banned from store.

Last edited by Maxwell Smart; 02-20-08 at 11:43 AM.
Old 02-20-08, 12:30 PM

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Maxwell Smart
I go to best buy and buy about 4 copies of each new release (in case my friends want some) Then I wait about a month and return them all, then I get pissed when they tell me I'm banned from store.
You return tea at Wal-Mart as well?
Old 02-20-08, 12:44 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 377 Likes on 236 Posts
Originally Posted by sid369
I need you help here, how do you guys know where to buy the new dvd from. I mean where to get the best prices from. I want to know do people buy from one place or order from multiple sites. I personally like to buy from one place so that I don't have to pay multiple shipping fees. Also, would you rather buy from a store or wait a couple of days to have it shipped.
Sounds like you referring specifically to new releases. For B&M stores, I'd check the ads posted in the Bargains forum. For online sites, dvdpricesearch is where I go.

Last edited by Cardsfan111; 02-21-08 at 10:26 AM.
Old 02-20-08, 01:16 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 23 Likes on 11 Posts
New releases: Always Best Buy. The either have the best or close to the best prices during the first week.

Older releases: Price search. Usually end up going with Amazon since they offer free shipping. I've been staying away from Deep Discount lately since I've been hearing some horror stories. Sometimes B&M's will run random sales on older titles too, just check the weekly ads.

I also never hesitate to buy used from Blockbuster. I can get better cases at Target for cheap and when BB runs their sales their prices are hard to beat. I'm lucky and I've never had a problem with a used DVD from them that didn't work.
Old 02-20-08, 01:18 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

if you are worried about cost you should never be buying new releases. Wait 4-6 months when they are $6-8. Are you having a discussion with people about movies so you have to watch them as soon as they come out. I have about 700 movies and about 150 of them unwatched, I buy them alot faster than I watch them, but havent really been buying anything since black friday even though I have probably 100-150 movies left on my wishlist. Im tired of the marketing and price structure game the dvd industry plays so I just wait til they reach my price point which is under $8 for most movies, except for special editions. Its not like cd's where you want to hear the music while its current and before it gets dated. Most movies dont really get dated, not within 5 years anyway. You can always do a columbia house account too, thats about a $6 average per movie. But if youre 18 living at home and gotta stay fresh and prove something to your friends then my advice is worthless.
Old 02-21-08, 02:36 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
err... check the bargains forum on this site
Old 02-21-08, 09:12 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 239 Likes on 175 Posts
Originally Posted by hindolio
Pretty well sums it up for me also!
Old 02-21-08, 09:59 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts
Originally Posted by hindolio
Ditto!
Old 02-21-08, 10:01 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
with money.
Old 02-21-08, 10:10 AM
DVD Talk Legend

dvdpricesearch.com is always a winner!
Old 02-21-08, 10:18 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Best prices would have to be Amazon from what I have seen in the past few months. I always thought Best Buy had good prices but Amazon usually has it cheaper and you dont have to deal with idiot CSR at amazon like you do Best Buy trying to get you t sign up for magazine subscriptions and crap. You may have to wait to get it from Amazon but that isnt a big of a problem.
Old 02-21-08, 11:52 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by cardsfan111
Sounds like you referring specifically to new releases. For B&M stores, I'd check the ads posted in the Bargains forum. For online sites, dvdpricesearch is where I go.
I also use dvdpricesearch before I purchase any DVD or BR.

I would say that I buy most of my titles from Amazon or DDD.
Old 02-21-08, 12:08 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 327 Likes on 199 Posts
Colombia House (5.50 average per account) check out the sub-forum in DVD Deals
BB or CC only for titles 4.99 and lower
Sometimes FYE on titles 5.88 b1g1 1/2 off
DVDpricesearch.com
And I usually wait until DVD Planet/DDD 20% off sale to buy anything else (make sure you check which is the cheapest and check dvdpriceseach to see if the are still the cheapest after 20% off).
There are also a few of those "offer" sites where you can complete offers like try stamps.com and cancel in 30 days and you can get free dvds there.
And always check out the DVD Deals and slickdeals and Cheap Ass Gamer forums for that random DVD deal that is too sweet to pass up.

Check out my 07 purchases down in my sig
Old 02-21-08, 12:57 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

DVDEmpire blows away Amazon for back catalog titles in terms of price. And buy 3, shipping is free.
Old 02-21-08, 03:03 PM

I usually buy them from a store because then I get them right away and I don't have to pay shipping. Sometimes online you can find the actual DVD cheaper, but you have to pay shipping so it balances out anyway....plus I don't have to wait to get it in the mail!
Old 02-21-08, 05:59 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
I used to do a lot of blind buying. Now I use Blockbuster online to preview new titles. I rent the obscure stuff online, then use them to rent new releases at the Blockbuster store. If I like and decide to get a title I've previewed I usually wait until it's price has been reduced, usually about 6 months after release.
Old 02-21-08, 06:36 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 366 Likes on 266 Posts
Buy 'em used at Blockbuster. Just picked up Grizzly Man, Rocky Balboa, Stranger Than Fiction and Hot Fuzz for around $20 the other day. Just make sure that you keep your receipt (or buy them on your membership card) in case there are any problems. Sometimes you'll get one all scratched to hell. But for the most part, they look nearly perfect.

Columbia House makes it ultra-easy to get brand new stuff for around $11.50ea. And you don't have to piss around with opening/closing accounts all the time to get that price.
Old 02-21-08, 06:38 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 366 Likes on 266 Posts
Originally Posted by riotinmyskull
with money.
And sex.
Old 02-21-08, 10:53 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 327 Likes on 199 Posts
Originally Posted by troystiffler
Columbia House makes it ultra-easy to get brand new stuff for around $11.50ea. And you don't have to piss around with opening/closing accounts all the time to get that price.
But if you do piss around with opening and closing accounts you cut your costs in half.
Old 02-22-08, 02:07 AM

Originally Posted by fashionvictim86
I usually buy them from a store because then I get them right away and I don't have to pay shipping. Sometimes online you can find the actual DVD cheaper, but you have to pay shipping so it balances out anyway....plus I don't have to wait to get it in the mail!
Many sites don't charge for shipping if your order is large enough...DVD Planet (I think) has a "3 or more" Free Shipping deal, and Deep Discount has an option thatr includes free shipping, but it takes a lot longer to get the discs that way, at least if you live more than 2 states away from Illinois it does. Also, using online sites means (usually) that you don't have to pay state tax on your purchases, unless the online retailer is in your state...then you do have to pay it. I guess the biggest roadblock to online suppliers is the waiting time, but since I'm not in any great hurry to get my DVDs, 90% of the time I order online.
Old 02-22-08, 01:45 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts
Originally Posted by Artman
It's not complicated man... I check a few sites (amazon mostly) to see what the price is...and decide if I want to get it. Check the store ads, or even easier - the listings here every wk for in-store prices. I'm buying Blu-Rays now, so I am buying 90% online due to the cheaper prices. I also tend to wait for the twice-yearly 20% sales online as well. (those are at deep discount and dvd planet)

I'd agree with this. I moved to High Def as well, and its really not worth it to go to a B & M store. I order online because it's cheaper, easier, and you often get stuff before the release date. Most of my stuff either comes from DVDPlanet, Amazon, or the Warnerhomevideo site.

For new releases of DVDs, I generally found Walmart to be the best. The would have most stuff for $14.99, even less popular stuff that was often $19.99 at Best buy or Circuit City. But each Walmart is different, so you have to hope a good one is close to you.
Old 03-04-08, 12:02 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I use dvdpricesearch.com
Old 03-04-08, 12:53 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts
I usually buy from wherever I see them advertised. I never try to save a dollar or two, it is not worth my time.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.