Community
Search
DVD Bargains Post and Discuss DVD Related Bargains including DVD Clubs

Amazon Price Reductions On Have Gun Will Travel Seasons 1-3

Search this Thread

Old 02-20-08, 01:05 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Amazon Price Reductions On Have Gun Will Travel Seasons 1-3

At the risk of bringing back unpleasant memories of Amazon's "Defective Sets of HGWT Season Three" fiasco of last year (see link to the original DVDTalk thread below), I thought I'd let you know that Amazon has reduced the price of all three seasons of the classic tv western Have Gun Will Travel.

Whether this is a temporary price drop or a permanent one, I don't know:

1. Have Gun Will Travel - The Complete First Season $20.99

http://www.amazon.com/Have-Gun-Will-...=nosim/dvdtalk

2. Have Gun Will Travel - The Complete Second Season $21.49

3. Have Gun Will Travel - The Complete Third Season $24.49

For those new to DVDTalk or for those who never read the original thread, here's the link to the thread about the defective sets of Season Three ("Iconic western "Have Gun, Will Travel" season 3 now $18 at Amazon"):

http://forum.dvdtalk.com/showthread.php?t=512644

Despite the problems I had with getting my own Season Three set (I finally had to write Paramount to get a replacement which wasn't defective), I still love the show so I'm ordering Season Two to fill out my collection (and wish CBS/Paramount would release Seasons 4-6).
Old 02-20-08, 02:14 AM
MGR

I just checked dvdpricesearch, and Amazon is considerably cheaper than any other seller. So I'd guess it's an Amazon sale rather than a general price cut.

I have a question regarding the set of all the first three seasons: is there any extra material with the set? Or is it just the same as the 3 individual seasons? (note that the 3 season set isn't on sale, and is quite a bit more actually)
Old 02-20-08, 05:01 PM

Originally Posted by MGR
I just checked dvdpricesearch, and Amazon is considerably cheaper than any other seller. So I'd guess it's an Amazon sale rather than a general price cut.

I have a question regarding the set of all the first three seasons: is there any extra material with the set? Or is it just the same as the 3 individual seasons? (note that the 3 season set isn't on sale, and is quite a bit more actually)
No, the bundled set of all three seasons which Amazon is selling are exactly the same as the three individual seasons. The bundled set has the same few extras which appear on the individual sets (the "Wire Paladin" production notes, cast biographies, behind-the-scenes episode information).

I'm not sure that you even get an outer box with this three-season deal (somebody correct me if I'm wrong) - I think it's just the three sets shrinkwrapped together with a sticker on the outside which says "Collect The First Three Seasons."

As you state, Amazon has not decreased the price of the three-season bundle (at $102.99), so it's much cheaper to buy the three Have Gun Will Travel sets individually at the current reduced prices.
Old 02-20-08, 05:33 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
It will interesting to know if they are still selling the BAD sets of HGWT 3rd Season now. I would like to get the 3rd as I already have 1 and 2. I forget if it was 2 or 3 3rd seasons I returned to them when they told me they would not send me anymore.
Old 02-20-08, 08:17 PM

Originally Posted by ernestrp
It will interesting to know if they are still selling the BAD sets of HGWT 3rd Season now. I would like to get the 3rd as I already have 1 and 2. I forget if it was 2 or 3 3rd seasons I returned to them when they told me they would not send me anymore.
I know that anyone who went through the previous HGWT mess in 2007 would be understandably gunshy but I think you should be safe in ordering one of the sets currently on sale.

For those new to the discussion, I'll recap what happened last year.

Amazon listed Have Gun Will Travel Season Three at two different prices ($18.00 and $44.99) with two different Amazon ASIN numbers (Amazon Standard Identification Numbers) on two different webpages.

A number of us here at DVDTalk jumped at the chance to pick up a set at such a remarkably low price.

Unfortunately, the HGWT sets which Amazon was selling for $18.00 turned out to have defective discs which were suffering from some strange sort of DVD rot caused by oily, greasy defective slimcases which had contaminated the discs.

These defective "bargain" sets also turned out to have a different bar code and ISBN number from the sets that Amazon was still selling at the higher price. A sticker with these new numbers had been affixed over the original bar code on the box.

It did no good to return a set to Amazon for a replacment because the replacement set would have the same problems.

Despite a barrage of customer complaints (and returns), Amazon continued to sell the defective Have Gun Will Travel sets (from Sept.-Dec. 2007).

Apparently aware they had a defective product, Amazon decreased the price of these "bargain" sets several times, before finally selling out of them in December at a price of $8.49 each!

The Amazon webpage for the defective sets still remains but Amazon is no longer listed as a supplier for them (only a few used sets are listed on the page).

The "good" sets of HGWT Season Three (the ones which they were selling for $44.99 last year) are the ones which are now on sale for $24.49. The Amazon webpage link I gave above is to that page.

I'm aware of only one person (on an Amazon customer forum) who ever complained of any playback problems or issues with sets from this batch.
Old 02-20-08, 09:33 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Thanks OP.

Ordered S1-S3
Old 02-21-08, 06:27 AM
Cool New Member

I ordered the third season set a couple of weeks ago at the current price listed, and the discs look fine. I had also ordered a set last year, and got the bad discs. This recent set definitely looks better.
Old 02-21-08, 09:01 AM

how would this play on a ps3(bluerayplayer) and 50 inch panasonic plasma hdtv? I hear the old stuff might come out stretched. I love the show just wanted to know how it will look on modern technology.

Last edited by bloopbleep; 02-21-08 at 08:42 PM.
Old 02-21-08, 09:34 AM

Second season is Gold Box deal on Amazon today and I think its $20.42
Old 02-21-08, 10:23 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 379 Likes on 236 Posts
Originally Posted by schbee
Second season is Gold Box deal on Amazon today and I think its $20.42
Not that it's a huge difference, but I don't see this as a Gold Box deal when I go to Amazon. It's listed at the same $21.49 mentioned by the OP. Am I missing something?
Old 02-21-08, 12:20 PM

Originally Posted by cardsfan111
Not that it's a huge difference, but I don't see this as a Gold Box deal when I go to Amazon. It's listed at the same $21.49 mentioned by the OP. Am I missing something?

When I click into link for 2nd season its up on the right hand side
Old 02-22-08, 04:48 PM

Hmm, I went through the hassle last year with the rotten S3 set, but I may still take a chance on these...
Old 02-27-08, 12:18 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 379 Likes on 236 Posts
OP, you speculated whether this was a permanent or temporary price drop. I think we have an answer. The sets are currently back in the $35-45 neighborhood.
Old 02-27-08, 12:05 PM

Originally Posted by cardsfan111
OP, you speculated whether this was a permanent or temporary price drop. I think we have an answer. The sets are currently back in the $35-45 neighborhood.
The deal does seem to be dead for now.

Amazon must have had a week-long unadvertised sale on a few select TV Western boxed sets. The Wild Wild West Season 3 had also gone down in price last week to around $26.00 and is now back to $42.99.

Hope some of you were able to take advantage on the HGWT sets before the prices went back up.

Last edited by Autolycus; 02-27-08 at 12:12 PM.
Old 03-04-08, 08:30 PM

Have Gun Will Travel defective season 3 DVDs

I ordered HGWT season 3 from Amazon on 16 Feb 2008 for $24.49 and it was sent out on 23 Feb 2008. I am very worried that I might be getting the defective 'oily' DVDs that everyone has been talking about. Does anyone know if I am likely to get the defective one?

I noticed today that Amazon has dropped the price again on the whole 3:

Season 1 - $21.29
Season 2 - $21.49
Season 3 - $24.99

Let's hope they aren't still selling defective season 3's!
Old 03-04-08, 09:28 PM

The Ballad of Amazon - Have Bum DVD's Will Sell

I wrote this song to the tune of The Ballad of Paladin for all those Amazon customers who bought the defective season 3 Have Gun Will Travel DVD's:

Bought season 3 but it just don't work
The customer service guy is a jerk
There are forum legends that HG fans tell
Of the bum DVD's that Amazon sell
Am-a-zon

Amazon, Amazon why do you sell
Defective season 3's when you know full well
That the copies you're selling just can't be watched
And you're clearly aware that they're all botched?
Am-a-zon

Hope you get a laugh out of it!
Old 03-05-08, 03:22 AM

Originally Posted by landed_gentry
I ordered HGWT season 3 from Amazon on 16 Feb 2008 for $24.49 and it was sent out on 23 Feb 2008. I am very worried that I might be getting the defective 'oily' DVDs that everyone has been talking about. Does anyone know if I am likely to get the defective one?

I noticed today that Amazon has dropped the price again on the whole 3:

Season 1 - $21.29
Season 2 - $21.49
Season 3 - $24.99

Let's hope they aren't still selling defective season 3's!
The prices have gone back down because the 3 HGWT sets are included in the current Amazon Classic Television sale.

Originally Posted by landed_gentry
Does anyone know if I am likely to get the defective one?
As I said earlier in this thread, I think that you should be safe in ordering HGWT Season 3 from Amazon this time around.

The sets currently offered by Amazon have a different Amazon standard identification number (ASIN B000BITUXO) from that of the defective sets (which was ASIN B000BJS4GW).

These current sets have the same bar code and ISBN number as the replacement set I received by writing directly to CBS/Paramount (which was perfect in every way).

The UPC number, bar code and ISBN number are printed directly on the bottom of the box of the "good" sets (ISBN 1-4157-1218-2 and UPC number 097368885844). I only know of one customer who ever had problems with a set from this batch.

The "bad" sets all have a white rectangular label on the bottom of the box (affixed over the original ISBN/barcode/UPC number) with ISBN 1-4157-1211-5 and UPC 97368885820.

The Amazon webpage for the "bad" sets still exists but there are only 13 new and used sets from Amazon Marketplace suppliers listed there (starting at $36.00!).

Amazon is no longer listed as a supplier for the "bad" sets (they apparently finally sold out of them back in December 2007 when they had reduced the price to $8.49 in their desperation to unload them!).
Old 04-23-08, 12:46 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Barnes and Noble is selling the first 3 seasons for $59.99. Individual seasons are going for around $24 each. That's before other discounts. Here is an example below using 25% coupon code H8A9D3Y and a 10% members discount. If you are not a member use the code along with one of the 5% or 6% links found in the B&N coupon discussion

http://video.barnesandnoble.com/DVD.../?cds2Pid=17575

Have Gun Will Travel: Seasons 1-3
Online Price: $59.99
Discount -$19.50
Shipment Subtotal: $40.49
Shipping & Handling: FREE
Sales Tax: $3.13

Shipment Total: $43.62