Search
Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

Frontlines: Fuel of War

Search this Thread

Old 02-19-08, 10:01 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Frontlines: Fuel of War

Anyone playing this? Ive been playing the demo on Live for the last few days and im really enjoying it.Its gonna have 50 player online capability.The developers of the game are the guys who worked on Battlefield 2 and the Desert Combat mod for BF1942.

It comes out on Feb 25th for the 360 and also PC.
Old 02-19-08, 10:52 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts
I've been playing around with the multiplayer demo too, once I started it reminded me a lot of Battlefield. Seems pretty neat, and I also read the 50 player comment yesterday it's definitely moved up on my pick up list.
Old 02-20-08, 02:38 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I've been having a blast with it. Its controls are pretty stiff compared to CoD 4 and the graphics aren't anything special but I'm loving the maps. They're freaking gigantic. Its actually made sniping fun again.
Old 02-20-08, 02:55 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,816 Likes on 1,131 Posts
I've been wanting this game since the 1st Demo hit LIVE!

I dl'd the Multi Demo the other day but I haven't fired it up yet. Then again I'm gonna get it anyway so it's I may just delete it and wait for the game.
Old 02-20-08, 10:42 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 445 Likes on 312 Posts
I never saw the single-player demo (is it still up?). But I tried the multi-player demo and didn't really care for it. Mostly because I couldn't tell what was going on, and I kept dying for what seemed like no reason, and I didn't really care too much about figuring things out - I mostly just wanted to get back to CoD4, which is more my speed. I'd give it another look if I could try the single-player aspect of it.
Old 02-20-08, 10:56 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I dont think the single player demo is there.I didnt even know about this game till i grabbed the multiplayer demo.I will be picking this up next week
Old 02-21-08, 02:22 AM

Received 515 Likes on 371 Posts
Holy crap. The multiplayer is amazingly addictive. I tried the single player demo last week and it was underwhelming. I was planning to pick this game up when it hit $30. But now it's a must buy.

For those of you planning to get this, there's a $10 Off $75 Coupon for Best Buy (only good on Games & Accessories). It expires on 2/26. BestBuy's also going to have some deal involving $15 Off a $20 360 Headset with purchase of Frontlines (don't know if you can combine the coupon and headset offer).

http://emailinfo.bestbuy.com/pp/edit...A=1007&ci=9758
Old 02-21-08, 07:22 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
i played the demo of this.. Thought it was OK at best, but I was only playing it with like 12 total people and those GIANT maps were not much fun cause only 6 people on the other team... I also thought Sniping was VERY VERY diffacult, but the game really reminded me of BF2 (for the PC).. I might rent this at first and see what its like with 50 people (which should be awesome)... I still love COD4 though, i just really miss the vehicles and the large maps.
Old 02-21-08, 04:35 PM

The single player demo was fun, but it wasn't earth shattering. The multiplayer demo, however, has me hooked. I love playing the anti-vehicle class with emp as the support role on the oil field map. It's satisfying as hell to knock a bird out of the sky with an emp rocket and finish it off with the rocket launcher. I just wish the emp also disabled your opponent's weapons as well.

Sniping seems a little off to me. I swear I've hit some people dead to rights but they just keep trucking along.

My most memorable moment thus far was dropping a fuel bomb on a capture point...I didn't think anyone would be foolish enough to be in the area, but I got lucky and caught four unsuspecting opponents in the blast.
Old 02-25-08, 10:13 PM
DVD Talk Legend

IGN gives it a 7.6.They praise the multiplayer but not too high on the single player which is fine with me since its the multiplayer part im more interested in.They gave the graphics a 6 though which seems a bit harsh.I thought the demo looked good.Anyway i will be getting it this week
Old 02-27-08, 09:15 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I must be playing a different multiplayer demo than the rest of you. This game is horrible. It's back to COD4 for me.
Old 02-27-08, 10:26 AM
Challenge Guru & Comic Nerd

Received 680 Likes on 456 Posts
Free soundtrack CD if you buy this at CC.
Old 02-27-08, 05:47 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Picked it up today so im looking forward to seeing the other maps and might even give the single player a go even though thats not what i got it for.
Old 02-27-08, 06:38 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

I read over on the forums at xbox.com that the servers(gamemakers?) are wonky for the multiplayer. I guess they're fixing it now. Anyone else hear of this or have problems playing on LIVE?

I picked it up Tuesday but I haven't played it yet.
Old 02-27-08, 07:36 PM
DVD Talk Legend

My game updated when i put it in tonight so dunno what that was for but ive had no problems so far.
Old 02-29-08, 03:24 AM
Video Game Talk Reviewer

I rented it a couple of nights ago and I've played it for about four and a half hours thus far. When I first put it in, it updated. I kept getting notifications regarding games "not existing," but I was able to get into one or two, while they were in practice mode. There weren't enough players to actually start a game.

The single player campaign seems pretty short, but it's fun. It's exactly what I expected, which is a good thing. Multiplayer seems fun as well.

Just when I was trying to get an achievement, the game started to skip and would only let me pause after a 30 second delay. So, I paused it and went back to the title screen, then turned it off. It looked a little dirty when I checked it before putting it in, so I wiped it off, but there were a couple of light scratches/marks on it, so I guess that's what caused it. I hope my 360 is okay (I wasn't sure if it was making a bad sound or not while it was doing this. It wasn't hot, though.)

I'm glad I rented it. I'm actually going to go play some more now. Add me if you want to play sometime: GT = Wick98.
Old 02-29-08, 01:15 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 85 Likes on 62 Posts
My last two game purchases - DMC4 and Warhawk - have turned out to be disappointments, as far as I'm concerned. Just not my cup of tea...

Now I'm torn between this and Super Mario Galaxy. I'd like to get something this afternoon, but I'm hesitant to pull the trigger.

Lackluster reviews are turning me away from this game, and my general lack of enthusiasm for Mario is turning me off of Galaxy.
Old 02-29-08, 10:16 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Originally Posted by lopper
My last two game purchases - DMC4 and Warhawk - have turned out to be disappointments, as far as I'm concerned. Just not my cup of tea...

Now I'm torn between this and Super Mario Galaxy. I'd like to get something this afternoon, but I'm hesitant to pull the trigger.

Lackluster reviews are turning me away from this game, and my general lack of enthusiasm for Mario is turning me off of Galaxy.
Just buy Viva Pinata and be done with it.

But seriously, I've heard many good reviews of Frontlines...from people actively playing it and not just some reviewer who played it for a weekend to hit a deadline. Why not just rent it either game and judge for yourself?

I've enjoyed many so called "poorly reviewed" games(Jericho, Lost Planet) and I've have been bored or disappointed by many "Games of the year"(Super Mario Galaxy, Metroid)

Last edited by Giantrobo; 02-29-08 at 10:29 PM.
Old 03-01-08, 04:34 AM
Video Game Talk Reviewer

I'm on the 5th mission (of 7) of the single player campaign. Although it's relatively light on missions, all seven are relatively lengthy. Most are 25 to 35 minutes long, but there's one that takes an hour to beat. There's a nice mix of gameplay types (standard FPS run and gun, sniping, driving tanks, driving a helicopter, different remote control helicopters and stuff to use to kill, turrets, etc.) and it's obvious that the developers just wanted to make it something fun - not a "Game of the Year" nominee, so they didn't take it too seriously and didn't overdo anything.

The main problem with this game is its multiplayer. It's incredibly hard to get into any games and, if you do, they never actually launch. The online is set up with practice modes while you're waiting for enough players to join, but it never gets past "Waiting for 1 more person." I think it's because it becomes almost impossible to get into once there's 23 or 24/25 in the lobby. The practices that I've played were a lot of fun but it got annoying just running around aimlessly for thirty minutes, waiting for one more person to join. Hopefully they fix this.

I recommend renting it because it's a fun diversion, but I don't know if I'd buy it at the moment. The multiplayer is completely broken, but the single player campaign is quite decent. The graphics are good and the storyline is pretty unique, so those are pluses. It's a bit of a challenge on Hardcore, but not too much.

Super Mario Galaxy for the win. It's possibly my Game of the Year for 2007. I must say that I enjoyed Jericho as well, though.
Old 03-01-08, 06:30 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

They're having Server problems and are working on it.
Old 03-02-08, 07:11 AM

Originally Posted by Wick
The main problem with this game is its multiplayer. It's incredibly hard to get into any games and, if you do, they never actually launch. The online is set up with practice modes while you're waiting for enough players to join, but it never gets past "Waiting for 1 more person." I think it's because it becomes almost impossible to get into once there's 23 or 24/25 in the lobby. The practices that I've played were a lot of fun but it got annoying just running around aimlessly for thirty minutes, waiting for one more person to join. Hopefully they fix this.
Everyone's having problems. There's a big thread over at the Xbox forums. It's really annoying, since the online multiplayer is the main attraction.

http://forums.xbox.com/18592192/ShowPost.aspx

I finished the single player last night. It was pretty uneventful. Nothing really memorable. Altogether it took me about 10 hours, but I play really slow. I'm not very experienced at shooters, so I played on Normal. But I never really felt challenged or got stuck. Someone that's good at FPS could probably plow through it in 5-6 hours.

If you're just interested in the single player, this is definitely a rental. Don't bother buying it. But I love the multiplayer. Hopefully they'll get it fixed soon. Maybe we can have some big DVDTalk battles.

Heads up for everyone. There are two bonus single player missions. Just enter these codes on the bonus menu:

sp-village
sp-street
Old 03-02-08, 09:16 AM

Originally Posted by TheBigDave
Everyone's having problems. There's a big thread over at the Xbox forums. It's really annoying, since the online multiplayer is the main attraction.
You would think Kaos would have learned their lesson and delayed the game a couple of weeks to iron out the multiplayer bugs since the demo had the same problems as the full release, but I guess that would have made too much sense.

I got the game on Friday and have been able to play a grand total of one multiplayer game thus far. I am, however, having fun with the single player campaign even though it looks to be pretty short. Hopefully by the time I finish it, the online portion will be fixed.

Thanks for the codes!
Old 03-02-08, 11:23 AM

I'll have to look into it.
Old 03-02-08, 08:57 PM

I should add to my previous comments. The single player campaign has some definite replay value. Throughout each mission, you get a couple series of 2-4 objectives. You can tackle those objectives in any order using a variety of methods. Do you want to blow everything away with a tank, storm the enemy on foot with your squad, or sit back and take out everyone with drones and an airstrike? Plus you can often flank a position instead of taking it head on. There's a lot of new stuff to try if you feel like playing it again.

Last edited by TheBigDave; 03-02-08 at 10:42 PM.
Old 03-02-08, 09:43 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I must be lucky cuz i havent had any problem with the multiplayer yet(knock on wood).Its really fun although i cant yet fly the helis so on that Invasion map i hafta hitch a ride over

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.