View Full Version : Another chance to s****** at FEMA

Mrs. Danger
02-17-08, 09:19 PM
CDC tests confirm FEMA trailers are toxic

By Mike Brunker
Projects Team editor
MSNBC
updated 5:23 p.m. MT, Thurs., Feb. 14, 2008

More than two years after residents of FEMA trailers deployed along the Mississippi Gulf Coast began complaining of breathing difficulties, nosebleeds and persistent headaches, U.S. health officials announced Thursday that long-awaited government tests found potentially hazardous levels of toxic formaldehyde gas in both travel trailers and mobile homes provided by the agency.

The Federal Emergency Management Agency, which requested the testing by the U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, said it would work aggressively to relocate all residents of the temporary housing as soon as possible.

Levels of formaldehyde gas in 519 trailer and mobile homes tested in Louisiana and Mississippi were on average about five times what people are exposed to in most modern homes, the CDC reported. In some trailers, the levels were nearly 40 times customary exposure levels, raising fears that residents could suffer respiratory problems and potentially other long-term health effects, it said.

At a news conference Thursday in New Orleans, CDC Director Dr. Julie Gerberding urged FEMA to relocate residents before summer, when heat would be expected to cause the formaldehyde levels to increase, with priority given to families with children, elderly people or anyone with asthma or other chronic conditions.

FEMA Director David Paulison, who also spoke at the news conference, said he believed his agency could meet that goal despite a shortage of affordable housing plaguing areas of the Gulf Coast afflicted by Hurricanes Katrina and Rita in 2005.

The whole story: http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/23168160/

Lemdog
02-17-08, 09:23 PM
Ahhhhh .. the government at its best.

Mrs. Danger
02-17-08, 09:26 PM
That asterisking makes my title look racist. Thanks loads. *grump*

PopcornTreeCt
02-17-08, 09:50 PM
2 years in a FEMA trailer? Get a f***ing job you bums!

BTW, what is the 's' word?

Mrs. Danger
02-17-08, 10:17 PM
It's like "snicker" only snider.

DVD Polizei
02-17-08, 10:36 PM
2 years is pretty good. For Government standards.

OldDude
02-18-08, 07:23 AM
CDC tests confirm FEMA trailers are toxic

Were FEMA trailers special ordered to have high levels of toxins to kill poor people?

This report makes me wonder about the entire industry making RVs, travel trailers, mobile homes, etc. Is anybody checking that those products comply with the law, even when not ordered by FEMA.

If anybody knows of any special FEMA requirements that make the problem unique to a trailor ordered by FEMA, please document it.

Mrs. Danger
02-18-08, 08:46 AM
I wonder if they bought them from China?

Sdallnct
02-18-08, 09:05 AM
IMO, the bigger issue is WHY there are toxic levels of gases in theses trailers/MH's. It's not like the goverment built these themself. They bought them brand new from the trailer and MH companies. I was in couple (not to live) and there didn't seem to be anything wrong...they were all brand new.

Course I recently read an article in Mens Health that the new car smell we all love also has issues. So maybe all these things just need to be aired out before use?

I mean if these have toxic levels of gases wouldn't all trailers and MH's made that people are buying every day all across the country have the same issue? Far as I know the goverment didn't go in and add anything themself to that would effect the trailer.

AGuyNamedMike
02-18-08, 09:08 AM
True, but aiming criticism at FEMA is "in". Never confuse "the new journalism" with integrity or logic.

kvrdave
02-18-08, 10:45 AM
Dammit, their plan is probably foiled now. Sure, we can hope that most will die because of the exposure over a few years, but the plan was to make them suffer for at least another 2-3 years.

Groucho
02-18-08, 10:56 AM
It's like "snicker" only snider.Snigga, please!

Numanoid
02-18-08, 11:21 AM
It's like "snicker" only snider.You're fucking kidding me. So if a word contains a string that makes up a different "naughty" word, it gets censored? How ridiculous.

pinata242
02-18-08, 11:31 AM
Once while playing poker online, someone commented that his profession was a ***eler. I thought that was funny.

kvrdave
02-18-08, 12:13 PM
:lol: Did it really censor "s******"? Eliza Doolittle could not post here, apparently.

kvrdave
02-18-08, 12:13 PM
rotfl

Stupidest censor EVER!!!

rotfl

kvrdave
02-18-08, 12:15 PM
That is freaking AWESOME!!! Before, I would have read it as just a word which means "to laugh" but now I can't think of anything but the dreaded N-word. Well done!

foggy
03-02-08, 12:50 PM
I imagine that it wouldn't have a problem with niggardly because of the difference in spelling, for all the good that did Mitt Romney.

darkessenz
03-02-08, 01:36 PM
hmm

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.2.0