DVD Talk
Retired Teacher Reveals He Was Illiterate Until Age 48 [Archive] - DVD Talk Forum

PDA

View Full Version : Retired Teacher Reveals He Was Illiterate Until Age 48

grundle
02-12-08, 09:46 AM
I can't read this article. Could someone please tell me what it says?

http://www.10news.com/news/15274005/detail.html

Retired Teacher Reveals He Was Illiterate Until Age 48

February 11, 2008

OCEANSIDE, Calif. -- John Corcoran graduated from college and taught high school for 17 years without being able to read, write or spell.

Corcoran's life of secrecy started at a young age. He said his teachers moved him up from grade to grade. Often placed in what he calls the "dumb row," the images of his tribulations in the classroom are still vividly clear.

"I can remember when I was 8 years old saying my prayers at night saying please god tomorrow when it's my turn to read please let me read. You just pretend that you are invisible and when the teacher says, 'Johnnie read,' you just wait the teacher out because you know the teacher has to go away at some point," said Corcoran.

Corcoran eventually started acting up to hide his illiteracy. From fifth through seventh grade he was expelled, suspended and spent most of his days at the principal's office.

The former teacher said he came from a loving family that always supported him.

"My parents came to school and it no longer was a problem for me reading because this boy Johnnie the -- native alien I call him -- he didn't have a reading problem as far as the teachers were concerned. He had an emotional problem. He had a psychological problem. He had a behavioral problem," said Corcoran.

Corcoran later attended Palo Verde High School in Blythe, Calif. He cheated his way through high school, receiving his diploma in June 1956.

"When I was a child I was just sort of just moved along when I got to high school I wanted to participate in athletics. At that time in high school I went underground. I decided to behave myself and do what it took. I started cheating by turning in other peoples' paper, dated the valedictorian, and ran around with college prep kids," said Corcoran.

"I couldn't read words but I could read the system and I could read people," adds Corcoran.

He stole tests and pursuaded friends to complete his assignments. Corcoran earned an athletic scholarship to Texas Western College. He said his cheating intensified, claiming he cheated in every class.

"I passed a bluebook out the window to a friend I painstakingly copied four essay questions off the board in U.S. government class that was required, and hoped my friend would get it back to me with the right answers," Corcoran said.

In 1961, Corcoran graduated with a bachelor's degree in education, while still illiterate he contends. He then went on to become a teacher during a teacher shortage.

"When I graduated from the university, the school district in El Paso, where I went to school, gave almost all the college education graduates a job," said Corcoran.

For 17 years Corcoran taught high school for the Oceanside School District. Relying on teacher's assistants for help and oral lesson plans, he said he did a great job at teaching his students.

"What I did was I created an oral and visual environment. There wasn't the written word in there. I always had two or three teacher's assistants in each class to do board work or read the bulletin," said Corcoran.

In retrospect, Corcoran said, his deceit took him a long time to accept.

"As a teacher it really made me sick to think that I was a teacher who couldn't read. It is embarrassing for me, and it's embarrassing for this nation and it's embarrassing for schools that we're failing to teach our children how to read, write and spell!"

While still teaching, Corcoran dabbled in real estate. He was granted a leave of absence, eventually becoming a successful real estate developer.

It wasn't until he was 48 years old that he gave reading and writing another chance. He drove to an inconspicuous office with a sign he couldn't read. He studied and worked with a tutor at the Literacy Center of Carlsbad. Assigned to a 65-year-old volunteer tutor, Eleanor Condit, he was able to read at a sixth-grade level within a year.

"I'm just an optimistic hopeful person that believes in the impossible and miracles," said Corcoran.

Carlsbad City Library literacy coordinator Carrie Scott said people of all walks of life go through the reading program, including teachers.

Corcoran is now an education advocate.

"I believe that illiteracy in America is a form of child neglect and child abuse and the child is blamed and they carry the shame, if we just teach our people how to read we'd give them a fair chance," Corcoran said.

He has written two books, "The Teacher Who Couldn't Read" and "Bridge to Literacy." He is also the founder of the John Corcoran Foundation. The foundation is state-approved as a supplemental service provider for literacy in Colorado and California providing tutoring programs for over 600 students in small group settings, and individually in homes through an online program.

cinten
02-12-08, 10:09 AM

It talks about how chocolate chip cookies are delicious, while I agree with that I tend to think that cookies with m&m minis in them are the best. Although why you are posting articles you can't read has me a little :confused:

classicman2
02-12-08, 10:11 AM
Where's the poll?

DVD Josh
02-12-08, 10:13 AM
Where's the poll?

Where's the wikipedia entry?

Franchot
02-12-08, 10:13 AM
Sounds rather far-fetched that he couldn't read until he went to those tutoring lessons when he was forty-eight years old and, then, within a year he was able to read. I would think that he would take another shot at learning to read much earlier than that.

Maybe he taught P.E. classes. Sounds like you could get away with teaching classes that don't require any reading or writing in P.E.

cinten
02-12-08, 10:14 AM
Where's the poll?

( ) grundle can read
( ) grundle can't read

Red Dog
02-12-08, 10:14 AM
Poll: Public school teachers should be literate?
Yes
No

wendersfan
02-12-08, 10:18 AM
If someone told me I had teachers who were illiterate I probably wouldn't be too surprised.

hal9000
02-12-08, 12:20 PM
I thought all public school teachers were illiterate:

[ ] yes
-or-
[ ] yes

X
02-12-08, 12:24 PM
Where's the OP's discussion?

Dr Mabuse
02-12-08, 12:28 PM
um... that no good illiterate some bitch?...

stevevt
02-12-08, 02:18 PM
"As a teacher it really made me sick to think that I was a teacher who couldn't read. It is embarrassing for me, and it's embarrassing for this nation and it's embarrassing for schools that we're failing to teach our children how to read, write and spell!"

QFWTF?

bhk
02-12-08, 02:21 PM
Well, as long as the teacher feels good about himself, his public school education has been successful.

MartinBlank
02-12-08, 02:22 PM

rotfl I just spit water everywhere :lol: :lol:

wendersfan
02-12-08, 02:23 PM
Well, as long as the teacher feels good about himself, his public school education has been successful.Based on this:He has written two books, "The Teacher Who Couldn't Read" and "Bridge to Literacy." He is also the founder of the John Corcoran Foundation. The foundation is state-approved as a supplemental service provider for literacy in Colorado and California providing tutoring programs for over 600 students in small group settings, and individually in homes through an online program.He probably should feel pretty good about himself.

deadlax
02-12-08, 02:31 PM
He probably should feel pretty good about himself.

Except for the fact that he is now making tons of money from lying and cheating through high school, college, and his professional career.

bhk
02-12-08, 02:32 PM
Except for the fact that he is now making tons of money from lying and cheating through high school, college, and his professional career.

Well, since everyone does things that they themselves may not be proud of, we have no right to judge any behavior, even the most depraved.

MartinBlank
02-12-08, 02:33 PM
Tax termites -ohbfrank-

cinten
02-12-08, 02:43 PM

Worked for George Bush.

MartinBlank
02-12-08, 02:53 PM
Worked for George Bush.

Funny George Bush slams are funny. :rolleyes:

wm lopez
02-12-08, 03:09 PM
He's no different than any supervisor who is a dumbass and is making more money than his co-workers who know more than he does.

cinten
02-12-08, 03:10 PM
Funny George Bush slams are funny. :rolleyes:

I am glad you think so :)

MartinBlank
02-12-08, 03:16 PM
He's no different than any supervisor who is a dumbass and is making more money than his co-workers who know more than he does.

Except this guy is sucking off the teat of the American tax-payer.

Tuan Jim
02-12-08, 03:29 PM
I remember a readers digest article I read about 10 years ago about some businessman. I think he was dyslexic, but was never properly diagnosed - made it all the way through college by paying people to write for him, oral papers, etc.

Nick Danger
02-12-08, 04:05 PM
Except this guy is sucking off the teat of the American tax-payer.

He was a government employee who wasn't capable of doing his own job. What makes that so special?

On the other hand, he was a public school teacher who was intelligent, creative, and could spot a cheating student in a heartbeat. Who knows: he might even have taught his students to think for themselves!

But, having been written by a professional con man, I doubt the contents of his books are worth much. They're probably full of ideas that are exactly what a target group of people want to hear.

DVD NDN
02-12-08, 07:05 PM
This story is so old I saw him on the Phil Donahue Show. I'm pretty sure he was on Oprah too.

grundle
02-12-08, 08:40 PM
It talks about how chocolate chip cookies are delicious, while I agree with that I tend to think that cookies with m&m minis in them are the best. Although why you are posting articles you can't read has me a little :confused:

Thank you. That sounds delicious!

grundle
02-12-08, 08:40 PM
Where's the poll?

What's a poll?

grundle
02-12-08, 08:41 PM
Sounds rather far-fetched that he couldn't read until he went to those tutoring lessons when he was forty-eight years old and, then, within a year he was able to read. I would think that he would take another shot at learning to read much earlier than that.

Maybe he taught P.E. classes. Sounds like you could get away with teaching classes that don't require any reading or writing in P.E.

I did think it odd that the story didn't mention which subject he taught.

Nevertheless, he did manage to get a degree in teaching.

grundle
02-12-08, 08:42 PM
Poll: Public school teachers should be literate?
Yes
No

Ooh! That's a good one!

grundle
02-12-08, 08:49 PM
Where's the OP's discussion?

When I started the thread, I thought of a number of things to say about the article. But they all seemed so obvious.

So then I decided to make a joke about not being able to read the article. So that was my discussion. Yes, it was just one very short sentence. But that one very short sentence got the message across better than anything else I could think of.

The fact that this guy got a teaching degree without knowing how to read proves my past claim from other threads that schools of education are more about political correctness and brainwashing than they are about academics.

Also, there's no way that any private school would have ever hired this guy as a teacher.

All of those things are true. But it's nowhere nearly as effecive as my one short sentence in my first post.

grundle
02-12-08, 08:52 PM
Well, as long as the teacher feels good about himself, his public school education has been successful.

Heh heh heh. It's funny because many public schools really do care about self esteem more than academics. Like how some of them cancelled their spelling bees because they said it was bad for self esteem.

grundle
02-12-08, 08:54 PM
rotfl I just spit water everywhere :lol: :lol:

Thank you for understanding my point.

grundle
02-12-08, 08:55 PM
Based on this:He probably should feel pretty good about himself.

Yes, he figued out how to make money from being a failure. Only in America!

grundle
02-12-08, 09:00 PM
This story is so old I saw him on the Phil Donahue Show. I'm pretty sure he was on Oprah too.

The actual article that I posted is brand new, so I thought you might have confused him with someone else.

But lo and behold, you are correct!

http://www.johncorcoranfoundation.com/pages/home.html

John Corcoran has been a passionate advocate for literacy for over ten years. Author of the amazing autobiography, The Teacher Who Couldn't Read, John was appointed to the National Institute for Literacy by President George Bush, was confirmed by the U.S. Senate, and subsequently served on the Board of the Institute under President Bush and President Clinton.

John has given presentations in forty-four states, in Canada and Europe to students, professional and volunteer teachers, teacher candidates, service organizations, policy makers, and prison inmates, as well as numerous small business and Fortune 500 companies. He has appeared on 20/20, the Oprah Winfrey show, Larry King Live, and Phil Donahue.

MartinBlank
02-12-08, 10:39 PM
The fact that this guy got a teaching degree without knowing how to read proves my past claim from other threads that schools of education are more about political correctness and brainwashing than they are about academics.

Also, there's no way that any private school would have ever hired this guy as a teacher.

QFT :thumbsup:

antennaball
02-13-08, 09:41 AM
I actually think it's the mother of all scams. Go through and live a normal life and then, at age 48, pretend that you couldn't read all that time. "Learn" from a poor tutor that doesn't spot deception very well. Turn that into book deals, fame, and your own foundation!

wm lopez
02-13-08, 11:08 AM
Only in America land of opertunity!

AGuyNamedMike
02-13-08, 11:13 AM
I actually think it's the mother of all scams. Go through and live a normal life and then, at age 48, pretend that you couldn't read all that time. "Learn" from a poor tutor that doesn't spot deception very well. Turn that into book deals, fame, and your own foundation!

ding ding ding!

Draven
02-13-08, 11:27 AM
Yeah, I don't think someone could live almost 50 years in this country and not pick up a basic language understanding.

I mean, it's not like he was just in school the whole time. He had to function on a daily basis. Restaurants, traffic signs (for that matter, how did he get his driver's license??) Did he ever fly anywhere or visit someplace other than his hometown? How did he pay his bills?

I just don't buy it. Maybe he didn't learn how to read in school, but I'd really like to know how he got through more than half of his life without a basic level of comprehension.

wm lopez
02-13-08, 02:54 PM
I bet the illegals are looking at this story and their mouths are watering.

Draven
02-13-08, 03:27 PM
I bet the illegals are looking at this story and their mouths are watering.

Why?

Groucho
02-13-08, 03:29 PM
Why?No doubt they're lining up for teaching jobs as we speak! And the liberals can't wait to hand 'em out, either! All their kids are in private school, what do they care?

Drexl
02-13-08, 03:36 PM
He was also dyslexic until the age of 84.

creekdipper
02-13-08, 11:36 PM
He was also dyslexic until the age of 84.

I think that was supposed to read "dyspeptic".

As a recently-retired schoolteacher, I am extremely *&!%ed that I sweated so long writing my Master's thesis when I didn't even have to be literate.

One thing's for sure...this guy's classes got to take a lot of multiple-choice/true-false exams...and got to watch a lot of "educational" films.

I skimmed the article pretty quickly...does the article say what he "taught"?

If it was Driver's Ed, P.E., or Study Hall, the whole scandal collapses (apologies to the health/p.e. teachers who actually have a curriculum rather than merely tossing out a ball & then reading a newspaper).

wm lopez
02-14-08, 04:53 AM
No doubt they're lining up for teaching jobs as we speak! And the liberals can't wait to hand 'em out, either! All their kids are in private school, what do they care?
Here in Chicago the parents were protesting that they wanted their kids to take their tests in spanish.

Groucho
02-14-08, 08:39 AM
I skimmed the article pretty quickly...does the article say what he "taught"?It doesn't, which probably means the reporter was selectively hiding facts to make the story a bit more scandalous.

VinVega
02-14-08, 09:09 AM
It doesn't, which probably means the reporter was selectively hiding facts to make the story a bit more scandalous.
Perhaps we should change the phrase to "grundlicious?"

wendersfan
02-14-08, 09:25 AM
Why?Because they are liberals who hate Jesus, even if half their kids are named after him.

grundle
02-14-08, 10:19 AM

That's actually a lot more believable than the original story.

grundle
02-14-08, 10:21 AM
Yeah, I don't think someone could live almost 50 years in this country and not pick up a basic language understanding.

I mean, it's not like he was just in school the whole time. He had to function on a daily basis. Restaurants, traffic signs (for that matter, how did he get his driver's license??) Did he ever fly anywhere or visit someplace other than his hometown? How did he pay his bills?

I just don't buy it. Maybe he didn't learn how to read in school, but I'd really like to know how he got through more than half of his life without a basic level of comprehension.

Those are great questions.

cinten
02-14-08, 10:34 AM

That is more than likely what happened. No way this guy could have taught for 18 years and never once graded a single paper, written a single comment on a report or even one word on a chalkboard.

Groucho
02-14-08, 10:37 AM
"Illiterate" doesn't actually mean "can't read at all". Technically, it applies to any adult who can't read past the third grade level. So, it's not like an illiterate person comes to a "Stop" sign, wonders "what the hell does that mean?" and continues on.

But yeah, there are a lot of wholes in the story.

MartinBlank
02-15-08, 11:22 AM
"Illiterate" doesn't actually mean "can't read at all". Technically, it applies to any adult who can't read past the third grade level. So, it's not like an illiterate person comes to a "Stop" sign, wonders "what the hell does that mean?" and continues on.

But yeah, there are a lot of wholes in the story.

rotfl

Rainet
02-23-08, 12:49 PM
Those are great questions.

For the sake of argument, let's say he lied about this whole thing to make a fast buck. Wouldn't at least one person of the many many people he claimed that helped him through high school and college step forward and say something. Ok let's say he was smart enough not to name any names but surely unless he was a hermit.
There must of been at least one person who at least remembers him in all those years in grade school, high school, college etc and how he acted in class or anything that could of givin anything away that he either lying or telling the truth. I mean out stance a teacher in class not to read?? No one rememebers?

grundle
02-25-08, 10:04 PM
For the sake of argument, let's say he lied about this whole thing to make a fast buck. Wouldn't at least one person of the many many people he claimed that helped him through high school and college step forward and say something. Ok let's say he was smart enough not to name any names but surely unless he was a hermit.
There must of been at least one person who at least remembers him in all those years in grade school, high school, college etc and how he acted in class or anything that could of givin anything away that he either lying or telling the truth. I mean out stance a teacher in class not to read?? No one rememebers?

I agree with you. He really was illiterate.

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.2.0