Guitar Rising - A Guitar Rhythm Game For Real Guitarists

Search this Thread

Old 02-08-08, 10:58 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 49 Likes on 38 Posts
Guitar Rising - A Guitar Rhythm Game For Real Guitarists

http://www.guitarrising.com/index.html

Finally, a game I can beat Rabbit77 at

Guitar Rising is a music video game where the player plays a real guitar as cued by the game’s visuals. Following rock music sequences and streaming notes, players play guitar melodies and rhythms. Beginner difficulty levels are designed for non-guitar players and hard difficulties will challenge experienced guitarists.

Product to be released in late 2008. Check back here for updates.

Didn't recognize ANY of the songs at first blush, but this game looks to actually teach you how to play the guitar, unlike guitar hero. I've always thought something like this would be cool.
Old 02-08-08, 11:16 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
That sounds killer! Esp. because I have a couple of electric guitars at home that I don't know how to play. (Along with a bass I'm trying to learn, and Roland V-drums which I *can* play.) I assume the game will have a special interface cable to connect a real guitar to a console/pc?

Ironically, one guitar I have (an Aria Strat clone, which came with a gig bag, practice amp, strap and electronic tuner) cost *less* than a stupid GH plastic guitar controller! (It was $50 shipped, and a few friends who play said it actually plays really well.)
Old 02-08-08, 11:38 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
Whoa, that would be cool. I might actually buy a guitar and learn how to play. Any word on what systems this is going to be on? I didn't see anything on their website.
Old 02-08-08, 11:45 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I hope this thing actually comes out, as I would most certainly pick it up.
Old 02-08-08, 11:56 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Lame. who would want to play a real guitar and not have a full band dynamically backing you when playing video games. Give me a plastic controller with buttons over a real instrument any day.
Old 02-08-08, 12:01 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

hmm, neat idea I guess but the game itself looks like a huge turd. I'll stick with playing the songs I want on my real guitar, and Rock Band for a video game
Old 02-08-08, 12:04 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I don't possibly see how this will work. It seems like they have some adapter by which you plug your guitar into your console? Which would be great if the signal that comes out of your guitar specified which string you were hitting... which the game seems to be grading you on.

Also, no fret numbers? Anything I hit on the A string is supposed to count, or are all these songs played with no fretting? I'm guessing that's supposed to be actual gameplay but it doesn't make a lick of sense. I honestly don't get it at all.

I'm more inclined to believe this is some fake site, or a proof of concept video that someone created to try and drum up capital for a game than an actual game.
Old 02-08-08, 12:22 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by DVDChris
Whoa, that would be cool. I might actually buy a guitar and learn how to play. Any word on what systems this is going to be on? I didn't see anything on their website.
Looks like PC to me right now.
Old 02-08-08, 12:23 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Mordred
I don't possibly see how this will work. It seems like they have some adapter by which you plug your guitar into your console? Which would be great if the signal that comes out of your guitar specified which string you were hitting... which the game seems to be grading you on.

Also, no fret numbers? Anything I hit on the A string is supposed to count, or are all these songs played with no fretting? I'm guessing that's supposed to be actual gameplay but it doesn't make a lick of sense. I honestly don't get it at all.

I'm more inclined to believe this is some fake site, or a proof of concept video that someone created to try and drum up capital for a game than an actual game.
It's not that hard for me to understand. I noticed that there was a TUNER option on one of the game screens. That suggest to me that the game is based on pitch recognition. So for your A example, an open A or a 5th fret E string A would probably both count.
Old 02-08-08, 01:05 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 201 Likes on 134 Posts
Hmm interesting. Unfortunately my only electric guitar is a 7-string, which might make that a little weird.

Somehow I doubt there will be much demand for a Bass Rising, even though I'd love it.
Old 02-08-08, 01:16 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by bunkaroo
Hmm interesting. Unfortunately my only electric guitar is a 7-string, which might make that a little weird.

Somehow I doubt there will be much demand for a Bass Rising, even though I'd love it.
Maraca rising!!
Old 02-08-08, 01:27 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by DVD Josh
Maraca rising!!
As long as there is no Cowbell Rising. F$%#*%$ cowbells...I hate them! They are the bane of all non-drummers in a rock band, and should all be destroyed.
Old 02-08-08, 01:31 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by bunkaroo
As long as there is no Cowbell Rising. F$%#*%$ cowbells...I hate them! They are the bane of all non-drummers in a rock band, and should all be destroyed.
Old 02-08-08, 02:08 PM
DVD Talk Legend

It's not that hard for me to understand. I noticed that there was a TUNER option on one of the game screens. That suggest to me that the game is based on pitch recognition. So for your A example, an open A or a 5th fret E string A would probably both count.
Right I get that, but there are no fret indicators on the game play screens. Also, I guess there will be no chords in the entire game because otherwise your pitch recognition won't work.

What they are showing appears to be a Guitar Hero rip off, except you don't get a plastic guitar and you just strum open strings.
Old 02-08-08, 02:18 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Mordred
Right I get that, but there are no fret indicators on the game play screens. Also, I guess there will be no chords in the entire game because otherwise your pitch recognition won't work.

What they are showing appears to be a Guitar Hero rip off, except you don't get a plastic guitar and you just strum open strings.
I really don't know where you get this impression you only strum open strings. Hell, the video even shows the guy fretting notes.

A yes, pitch recognition will work on chordings, not sure why think that it wouldn't.

And let's face it, despite the fact that it's made by the same guys, Rock Band's guitar interface is just as much of a ripoff of guitar hero as this is.
Old 02-08-08, 02:38 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,653 Likes on 1,032 Posts
While this seems like a fine idea, I do not understand this notion that all people who play Guitar Hero and Rock Band (drumming aside) well somehow think they can actually play a real instrument and must be proven wrong.

I've never thought of myself as an invincible space marine. I've am not one of the best racing car drivers around. And I certainly don't think I could slam-dunk a basketball from half-court. But I haven't been criticized for not using my time to learn to be these things in real life. I wonder why these rhythm games get the brunt of that.
Old 02-08-08, 03:19 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I really don't know where you get this impression you only strum open strings. Hell, the video even shows the guy fretting notes.

A yes, pitch recognition will work on chordings, not sure why think that it wouldn't.

And let's face it, despite the fact that it's made by the same guys, Rock Band's guitar interface is just as much of a ripoff of guitar hero as this is.
Pitch recognition doesn't work well worth chords because as I'm sure you know, you only have one audio signal for two+ strings. There is oscillation, combination and destruction of the two waves, etc. What happens when you play two notes on your tuner? If it's anything like mine it jumps back and forth between the two notes being fretted.

My Boss GT-8 does LOTS of super advanced signal processing, including pitch shifting, reverse guitar, auto-riff, etc... none of which work well because they require a single note to be fretted to base the frequency manipulation off of. To do the really impressive stuff you need a Roland Guitar Synth which "knows" which strings are vibrating to do the ultra-fancy DSP required. I honestly don't see any game console being able to handle multiple notes any better than my GT-8 (which is a damn good multi-effects board btw).

Maybe I'm wrong and it call all be done perfectly fine in software and this game will be great. At the moment it just seems like that discussion everyone's friends have when they first encounter guitar hero: "Hey man, wouldn't it be great if you could do guitar hero... but like on a real guitar and the strings would be like the plastic buttons? That would be awesome!"
Old 02-08-08, 03:24 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

It's not going to work unless they put which fret to use for each note. Maybe if they put the fret number in the circle it would work, I don't know. It seems like that is what they did when he played the open note on easy, the circle had a zero in it. If they don't do that you are just telling you which string to use? Ummm...ok. But which of the 11 notes? It would require you to be able to at least pick out everything by ear. What if you wanted to use a different fingering position or string than they wanted?

Seems like a fake to me.
Old 02-08-08, 03:25 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Draven
I've never thought of myself as an invincible space marine. I've am not one of the best racing car drivers around. And I certainly don't think I could slam-dunk a basketball from half-court. But I haven't been criticized for not using my time to learn to be these things in real life. I wonder why these rhythm games get the brunt of that.
If anything, I think the GH and RB games actually help the non-musician a little bit.

For someone who doesn't play guitar/bass, playing the game will at least get them used to coordinating picking and fretting to a certain degree. It may also get the muscles used to press strings down further than a beginner at guitar who has never used those muscles before.

The drums are even closer to being realistic. I thought the drum tutorial in Rock Band about how a basic beat works was pretty good for beginners trying to understand the basics.

I will admit, as a musician, the one thing I won't do with GH and RB is spend a lot of time practicing parts just to beat the song. I am getting by on crossover skills up to the beginnings of the hard levels without practicing. But given the choice between spending three hours practicing Raining Blood on GHIII or spending it working on my own music, I will take the latter every time.
Old 02-08-08, 03:46 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 75 Likes on 64 Posts
Reminds me of the miracle piano teaching system on the nes:

<object width="425" height="355"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/72sinaG29SU&rel=1"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/72sinaG29SU&rel=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="355"></embed></object>

It was really innovative and different at the time. My parents bought it for me and my sister. I did learn how to play a few songs off of it.
Old 02-08-08, 04:05 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 137 Likes on 106 Posts
This probably should have been in the first post as well:

Guitar Rising is awarded Developer's Choice Award | 11.29.07

The team at GameTank unveiled Guitar Rising at the Independent Game Conference in Austin, TX. At the conference's Game Demo Night, players -- both guitar newbies and hobbyists alike -- strapped on a real electric guitar and fretted and strummed their way though introductory and skilled game levels. Guitar Rising was awarded the Developer's Choice Award by popular vote. Thanks to everyone in attendance!
Old 02-08-08, 04:10 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Formerly known as Groucho AND Bandoman/Death Moans, Iowa
Received 372 Likes on 266 Posts
I was hoping this was the Dead Rising sequel, but the only weapon is guitars
Old 02-08-08, 07:30 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

If you want to play a real guitar... why don't you just play... you know... a real guitar?
Old 02-08-08, 07:35 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,653 Likes on 1,032 Posts
Originally Posted by lordwow
If you want to play a real guitar... why don't you just play... you know... a real guitar?
This games supposedly teaches you how to play a real guitar. Claims you can plug any guitar into it and it'll show you how to play it.
Old 02-08-08, 07:39 PM

That'd be interesting.

Nice to know you could use any guitar, instead of some plastic piece of shit that breaks after 2 hours.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.