George Phillies
Robert Milnes
Michael Jingozian
Bob Jackson
Wayne Root
Steve Kubby
John Finan
Barry Hess

Someone please help me pick the next president of the United States!! I'll admit I haven't paid much attention to the Libertarian candidates this year so any assistance would be appreciated :)

Dr. Henry Jones, Jr.
02-05-08, 08:44 AM
Wayne Root runs a sports handicapping operation in Las Vegas

Red Dog
02-05-08, 08:47 AM
Yep. Anybody who listens to sports talk radio should know who Wayne Allyn Root is - gotta love those sports handicapper commercials. :lol:

Venusian
02-05-08, 08:53 AM
wait until after the GOP convention when it is Ron Paul ;)

Red Dog
02-05-08, 09:01 AM
wait until after the GOP convention when it is Ron Paul ;)

Wait until after the GOP denies Ron Paul speaking time at the GOP convention. ;)

Ron Paul might be a better fit with the Constitution Party.

RoyalTea
06-15-08, 07:26 PM
would any of the board libertarians consider voting for Bob Barr? For someone that used to be very strongly in favor of the war on drugs and very strongly against the idea of same-sex marriages, he seems like a terrible choice to represent libertarianism.

Red Dog
06-16-08, 08:11 AM
I'd consider it. I haven't decided yet, although some seem to think I have. ;)

A lot comes down to whether I ultimately believe he is sincere in changing his mind. I know I changed my mind on the issue of drugs and the inane 'War.' Granted I was in my 20s rather than my 60s when I did that. The fact that he has worked for the Marijuana Policy Project to try to repeal drug laws that he helped craft is certainly a good sign of his sincerity.

I really don't care about the marriage issue; like abortion, I have a position on it, and it's fun to talk about and discuss the legal arguments, but in the grand scheme of things, there are far more important things. Plus the President, except for SCt appointments, would have nothing to do with this issue.

I will be interesting in seeing what he emphasizes in his campaign. This is where Ron Paul got off track in NH. He started emphasizing more GOP talking points like immigration when the primaries actually started instead of what was working for him in the debates last year.

The fact that he can admit his mistakes is refreshing. You sure as hell never see most politicians do that. You still can't get Hillary to admit she was wrong on Iraq.

He was a fiscal conservative when in Congress, so that's good. I think he is a strong believer in economic freedom.

The fact is that Libertarian Party is never going to get anywhere with people like their previous candidate (whom if more than a handful of people can remember his name w/o looking it up, I'd be shocked) leading the way. If they want to make headway, they have to be a libertarian-lite party. Yes, that means compromising their ideological purity, but someone needs to occupy the social liberal/economic conservative area of American politics, particularly since it is virtually ignored by the big boys.

He's far from perfect. That's for sure, but my vote test is rather simple. If I find myself at least roughly 50% in agreement with a candidate, he'll likely get my vote, and economic freedom is a major part of that test. Between Barr, Obama, and McCain, only one of those is going to have a shot.

Groucho
06-16-08, 08:14 AM
Wow, with that many nominees they may have to hold this year's convention in something a little bigger than somebody's studio apartment. Maybe even a 2-bedroom!

wendersfan
06-16-08, 08:24 AM
Wow, with that many nominees they may have to hold this year's convention in something a little bigger than somebody's studio apartment. Maybe even a 2-bedroom!Um, they already held the nominating convention, smart guy. :rolleyes:

Groucho
06-16-08, 08:27 AM
Um, they already held the nominating convention, smart guy. :rolleyes:Damn that RoyalTea and his sneaky random bumps!

Tracer Bullet
06-16-08, 08:48 AM
Fun fact: I voted for the Libertarian candidate in my first election.

The Bus
06-16-08, 08:59 AM
The only succesful Liberian candidate so far has been Ellen Johnson-Sirleaf.

wendersfan
06-16-08, 09:00 AM
The only succesful Liberian candidate so far has been Ellen Johnson-Sirleaf.I was kinda hoping George Weah would have won a few years back. :(

grundle
06-16-08, 12:47 PM
would any of the board libertarians consider voting for Bob Barr? For someone that used to be very strongly in favor of the war on drugs and very strongly against the idea of same-sex marriages, he seems like a terrible choice to represent libertarianism.

I'm 37, and I've voted Libertarian in every presidential election since I turned 18.

But not this time

This time, I will be writing in Ron Paul. I had wanted to vote for him when he ran for President as a Libertarian in 1988, but I was too young.

Also, the Libertarian censors at wikipedia erased my contribution to this article, which I am posting here:

http://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?title=Libertarian_Party_%28United_States%29&oldid=217999377

Libertarian Party (United States)

Abandonment of libertarian principles

By nominating Bob Barr as its presidential candidate, the Libertarian Party has abandoned its libertarian principles. Barr voted for the Patriot Act and the Defense of Marriage Act. [11] He has also supported campaign finance reform and federal limits on greenhouse gas emissons, and voted against Bush's tax cuts. [12] He also opposed the legalization of marijuana. [13]

wildcatlh
06-16-08, 01:08 PM
Yeah, that does kinda go against Wiki's neutrality guidelines there grundle. That's bad, even for you.

Plus the anti-Barr backlash by some libertarians is ridiculous. A guy's not allowed to change his mind? I used to be mega-conservative and now I'm libertarian. Big deal. Barr's the best candidate the party has had in decades.

grundle
06-16-08, 01:19 PM
Yeah, that does kinda go against Wiki's neutrality guidelines there grundle. That's bad, even for you.

Maybe. Maybe not. I can see arguemnts on both sides. I did cite my sources.

Th0r S1mpson
06-16-08, 02:02 PM
Jingozian. The yard sign will be the awesomest.

The Bus
06-16-08, 03:28 PM
Maybe. Maybe not. I can see arguemnts on both sides. I did cite my sources.

"the Libertarian Party has abandoned its libertarian principles"<sup>[citation needed]</sup>

Breakfast with Girls
06-17-08, 10:32 AM
Maybe. Maybe not. I can see arguemnts on both sides. I did cite my sources.:lol: Dude, stop posting your opinions on Wikipedia.

<small>Or at least disguise them better, like other people do.</small>

wendersfan
06-17-08, 10:37 AM
"the Libertarian Party has abandoned its libertarian principles"<sup>[citation needed]</sup>

rotfl

Somewhere in wikiland there's got to be the sentence

"George Luca$ raped my childhood!"<sup>[citation needed]</sup>

Groucho
06-17-08, 10:40 AM
rotfl

Somewhere in wikiland there's got to be the sentence

"George Luca$ raped my childhood!"<sup>[citation needed]</sup>http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia:Reference_desk/Archives/Humanities/2007_January_6#Familiarity_seeking_behavior_in_children

al_bundy
06-17-08, 11:39 AM
has a librarian ever been elected president?

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.2.0