Search
DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

Some questions about a few (well known) anime titles

Search this Thread

Old 02-04-08, 11:25 PM
Cool New Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Some questions about a few (well known) anime titles

I've got a few questions about the Dragonball series of anime, as well as Case Closed.

1- I made the mistake in purchasing Dragonball the Saga of Goku. What I want to know is if these episodes have ever made it to the US in a different form or something? This is just awful and I've never lived it down. (I'm sure the same could be said about dragonball altogether :P )

2- Are any DVDs of any of the sagas or series discontinued? Or is it just that it's not in high demand here in the US so finding everything is challenging (and pricey!) I have no interest in the dragonball Z movies.

3- Any word on these coming to blu-ray?
Old 02-04-08, 11:34 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

First 13 eps of Dragonball are available uncut, and with english, and japanese langauge if import from australia.

DBZ season sets remastered are not pricey, and are the highest selling boxsets in anime. All the sagas are intact, nothing discontinued.

Funimation is already releasing Dragonball Z in Blu-ray starting with movies.

Last edited by Knives; 02-04-08 at 11:37 PM.
Old 02-06-08, 07:24 PM
Cool New Member

Is that Australian DVD a region 2 disc? I dont have a region free player (using ps3 as my dvd player).
Old 02-06-08, 10:04 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Knives
DBZ season sets remastered are not pricey, and are the highest selling boxsets in anime. All the sagas are intact, nothing discontinued.
Do note that all episodes have been cropped from their 4:3 OAR to a fake widescreen by cutting off the tops and bottoms. There was much (completely warranted) wailing and gnashing of teeth over this, but it seems that nothing will be done about it.

One hilarious example:

Last edited by canaryfarmer; 02-06-08 at 10:10 PM.
Old 02-08-08, 12:45 AM
Cool New Member

god, funimation sucks. Maybe I should just wait for the blu-rays to be released. Do the dragonball or GT versions have that cropping or is it just dbz?
Old 02-08-08, 07:13 PM

No the "Saga of Goku" has never been released in the US uncensored because some other company still owns the rights to the first 13 Dragonball episodes and the first movie in the US.

Some DBZ DVDs are very hard to find and most are not being produced anymore because they have decided to release the remastered season sets instead. It you want to see DBZ in its original full-screen glory you'll have to hit Ebay or something to find them. I still can't find the end of the Cell Saga and the Great Saiyaman Saga in my area.
Old 02-08-08, 07:59 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,016 Likes on 840 Posts
Broly The Legendary Super Saiyan and Broly the Second Coming are on BD