Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Talk
Reload this Page >

Anyone -not- jumping on the high-def media bandwagon?

Community
Search
DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

Search this Thread

Old 02-03-08, 04:38 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 234 Likes on 167 Posts

I'm sticking to DVDs for a totally time-management perspective. At home I don't really watch movies - I write, go to school for fun, like to work on the house rearranging stuff, etc. I watch movies at work. And I can't watch high-def at work. I'm actually thinking of selling my entire high-def collection (I'll most likely make money on it since I paid such cheap prices and most of the items are still sealed). At work I have the portable DVD player. And while there -is- a noticeable difference between HDM and DVD, I think I can live with DVD for the time being.

I subscribe to Blockbuster and Netflix, so if I ever get the itch I can rent a high-def DVD or two. Between those two, free Redbox codes, and the library, for $40 a month I get all the DVD watching I want (I watch an average of 12 movies a month or more).

Anyone else sticking to DVD? Why or why not?
Old 02-03-08, 04:46 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I still have no interest. I think if I bought a B-ray player I would just double and tripple dip on titles I already have and paying alot to do it.
Old 02-03-08, 05:25 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Ooh, ooh, me! I just bought a home and the last thing I have is money to blow on a Blu-Ray system and a bunch of discs. I also promised I wouldn't jump until one format is officially left, and I'm holding myself to it.
Old 02-03-08, 05:31 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 82 Likes on 70 Posts
I bought an HDDVD player early last year (*before* all the great deals) basically because I was wanting a new toy and for some reason was avoiding a new game console (which didn't work, because I bought a 360 about six months ago and love it). But I own all of maybe 5 HDDVD disks (I did buy a couple more then sold them after watching them), and the last thing I used the hDDVD player for was the Simpsons movie...dvd.
I don't/can't watch at work, so I do watch at home, and I have been blown away by some HD movies, but I'm just not really into movies much nowadays, I'm more into TV on DVD and anime on dvd (though ADV did just go BD), and am watching my too-large back catalog.
Old 02-03-08, 05:45 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts
I'm not yet. Although with it appearing that Blu-Ray is going to be the way to go, I'm not sure how much longer i'll stick with DVD. My roomate has a PS3 so it's hooked up to my TV, but since it's not technically mine I haven't gone ahead with buying discs since I'm not sure if i'll buy one for myself once we no longer live together.
Old 02-03-08, 05:53 PM

Count me as currently in the camp of non-high-def people. As it is, broadcast HDTV is so limited in hours, it still has a special schedule in TV listings. I don't even own an HDTV set yet, let alone a high-def player. As for the discs themselves, not only is the price higher, how much quality resolution can there be when most of the films were shot on analog film stocks? There are still problems with film grain and transfers, and I would imagine that could be amplified at a higher resolution. Of course, the picture is dramatically better, I'm sure, if its done right. I think more people will adopt when they're forced to, when all discs are on the new format, and the prices are similar to standard definition discs (as the players are getting more competitive in price with standard definition DVD players). Once its decided what that format is. And you know by that time, they'll probably come up with a new one.
Old 02-03-08, 06:06 PM

An upconverted SD DVD is good enough for me. For now.
Old 02-03-08, 06:13 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Breton
how much quality resolution can there be when most of the films were shot on analog film stocks?
Film has a higher resolution than HD.
Old 02-03-08, 06:21 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 241 Likes on 152 Posts
I''ve owned an HD camcorder for the last two years (just bought my second one a few weeks back). I'm ready for HD discs. When blu-ray players hit $200, I'm there.
Old 02-03-08, 06:33 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by Breton
how much quality resolution can there be when most of the films were shot on analog film stocks?
Film has a better "resolution" compared to a digital transfer.

Anyway, I may start getting some Blu-Ray titles. My dad has gotten a Blu-Ray player for his apartment, so I could take advantage of it on a limited basis. I'll probably hold off until I get a player of my own, though.
Old 02-03-08, 06:50 PM
Banned

Regular (standard) DVD is the only format with any proof of widestream acceptance at this time. Even when Blu-Ray wins (it will), it won't matter because it will then be the NEW LASERDISC! And we all know how well laserdisc went over, even though there are still movies that got a lsaredisc release, but not a DVD release.

Blu-Ray will be the new King in a kingdom filled with Laserdisc, Beta, DVD-Audio, SACD, Micro-cassette, DAT.....etc, etc, etc!
Old 02-03-08, 07:22 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Why you like watching dvd's in blurry, yucky 480i.

Standard Dvds are upcovert in the HD players and look MUCH BETTER.

You should upgrade to a HD player.

Time to join the future!
Old 02-03-08, 07:28 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I won't buy a HD player until their is a winner. Then, I'll wait one more year to make sure something else doesn't come out.
Old 02-03-08, 07:42 PM
Banned

I jumped on it in November but I am off of it now. I have considered all factors and standard DVD is the Winner in my book.
Old 02-03-08, 07:45 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Knives
Why you like watching dvd's in blurry, yucky 480i.

Standard Dvds are upcovert in the HD players and look MUCH BETTER.

You should upgrade to a HD player.

Time to join the future!
I watch standard DVDs on a 46" 1080p Sharp Aquos with a PS3
Old 02-03-08, 07:45 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by chris_sc77
I jumped on it in November but I am off of it now. I have considered all factors and standard DVD is the Winner in my book.
What factors did you consider?
Old 02-03-08, 07:49 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,640 Likes on 2,613 Posts
I'm sticking with standard DVD until one of my 3 standard TV sets finally burns out. Then I will get an HDTV and move from there.
Old 02-03-08, 08:52 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by GatorDeb
What factors did you consider?
Films available on format, Video/Audio Quality, Special Features, Menu System(oh how I hate the how the movie starts right the hell up and the accessibility of most of the special features), Packaging for titles, Amount of time it takes for player to turn the fuck on after I power it up, the fact that it doesn't have the memory of my region free dvd player (when I turn off a dvd it goes right back to the place I left off; my HD player does not do this.), price, Netflix availability for rentals ...I think thats about covers everything.
So, yeah I am done with HIgh-def. Regular DVd is better. At least for what I am looking for and I don't care what anyone lse says regular DVD can look just as good as high def does. I have never seen a DVD look as good as the standard dvd of The Proposition which isn't even from a major studio!!!!
I have seen big titles such as Blade Runner, Oceans 13 , Excalibur, Zodiac, Live Free or Die Hard, etc on both Hd-dvd and Blu and I gotta say I am not impressed as watching the Proposition on a standard Tv set. Maybe I am wrong but I guarantee high def wont be seeing more of my $
Old 02-03-08, 08:54 PM

I have an upconverting Oppo region-free player and zero interest in high-def discs. I absolutely do not need to see Matt Damon's pores
Old 02-03-08, 09:09 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
I figure I'll hold off until Blu-Ray players are in the $100 range and even then I don't think I'll replace many SD DVDs. I'll buy new releases in BR as they come out.
Old 02-03-08, 09:23 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
With over 2000 DVDs, I'm not about to change formats.
Old 02-03-08, 09:27 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 64 Likes on 46 Posts
I've got no interest in upgrading at this time.
Old 02-03-08, 10:00 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I've jumped to HD. But now that Blu-ray has won I can certainly sympathize with those who are not jumping. It's one thing to pay $100 for an HD-DVD player but it's a totally different thing to pay $300 for a Blu-ray player.
Old 02-03-08, 10:21 PM

There is no HD bandwagon. The market is still a niche market. That will change with time though.
Old 02-03-08, 10:25 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 329 Likes on 200 Posts
Just when I was about to jump on the DV-DVD wagon this warner thing happened so it will prob be a few more years yet for me.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.