Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Which films deserve an Oscar? Does atonement deserve to win?

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters
View Poll Results: Who should win best picture?
Atonement
0%
Michael Clayton
0%
Juno
0%
No Country For Old Men
50.00%
There Will Be Blood
50.00%
Voters: 6. You may not vote on this poll

Search this Thread

Old 02-03-08, 04:10 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Keira Knightly makes a rare appearance in this rather dreary film. There is also an appearance from the new star in Hollywood, James McIvoy. This film is ok but relies too heavily on the story. It takes what seems like an age for the scene to be set and for something to happen. That is the main letdown of this film is the serious lack of action from beginning to end. There are clever cinematic techniques and there are a few twists along the way but not enough to keep me entertained and parts of the plot are very predictable.Despite its billing Keira Knightly does not get naked but there are some quite graphic sexual references that may offend some viewers. There is some humour and there is a funny cameo from a soldier that James McIvoy meets. However, the film was too dismal and depressing for me! Despite the glowing reviews from some critics I would not recommend this film and I would not suggest buying it on DVD.

The film starts with a young girl named Juno MacGuff having sex with her best friend Paulie Bleeker and then surprisingly falling pregnant. Juno, a tomboyish girl is played brilliantly by Ellen Page in her first real major role and hopefully she will be appearing in more films soon.

In contrast, Paulie, as the name suggests is a more feminine character played by Michael Cera who you will remember from Superbad. After the initial shock of the pregnancy and telling her parents they decide to give the baby away to a married couple who can not have kids. With Jennifer Garner and Jason Bateman playing the role of the parents.

There are complications along the way but I will not reveal as it will ruin the plot. The main plus point of the film is the brilliant acting from the whole cast you actually feel like all of the characters are real and that they could be your own bestfriend.

Moreover, this film is filled with laughs from start to finish and on the whole the humour is tasteful and will appeal to most people. It is no wonder this film has been nominated for numerous oscars which is unusual for films in this genre. This is the type of film that you could watch over and over again and i will definitely be buying the DVD.

The relationship between Juno and Paulie is hilarious and the teenage jokes will make both teenagers and adults laugh. This film has little action but plenty of romance which probably makes this film slightly more suited to girls although most boys will probably enjoy it. My advice is to see this film, NOW!

In comparison, Michael Clayton was an acting masterpiece and starring George Clooney and a number of other well known actors, it would get my vote for an oscar.

Many Thanks

Chris Ford

Removed ad. Please contact the administration if you wish to buy advertising on this site.

Last edited by Blake; 02-03-08 at 04:24 PM.
Old 02-03-08, 04:14 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
There's already a thriving Oscar thread that does well without a new member spamming it with their personal sites.
Old 02-03-08, 04:23 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Please refrain from advertising your site and keep posts in topics that already exist regarding this subject.