Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Defiance (Zwick, 2008)

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Defiance (Zwick, 2008)

Search this Thread

Old 01-31-08, 11:25 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Defiance (Zwick, 2008)

Defiance

Starring Daniel Craig, Liev Schreiber and Jamie Bell

Four Jewish brothers living in Nazi occupied Poland escape into the forest where they join up with Russian resistance fighters in battling the Nazis. Throughout the war they built a village inside the forest and saved the lives of more than 1200 other Jews. Based on a true story

December 2008

Teaser Trailer

+

The trailer sold me when I saw it in front of There Will Be Blood. Zwick always gets my money and this movie looks even better than his last couple films.
Old 01-31-08, 11:43 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by PopcornTreeCt
The trailer sold me when I saw it in front of There Will Be Blood.
Yep, me too.
Old 02-01-08, 06:42 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

looks good. Zwick has yet to disappoint me.
Old 02-01-08, 12:03 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Gerry P.
Yep, me too.
Me tree.

U4?
Old 02-01-08, 12:35 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Ugh! Another bloated "message movie" from Zwick. His action sequences are impressive, he has a good eye, but he lays the moralizing on way to thick in his films, a little subtlety can go a long way. I am sure this movie will be no different...shallow moralizing, a couple of emotionaly manipulative "family scenes," beautiful cinematography, and a smattering of well executed action sequences. Cannot wait to check it out on HD-DVD or Blu-ray.
Old 02-01-08, 03:47 PM

Looks pretty good to me!
Old 02-01-08, 07:40 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by BambooLounge
Ugh! Another bloated "message movie" from Zwick. His action sequences are impressive, he has a good eye, but he lays the moralizing on way to thick in his films, a little subtlety can go a long way. I am sure this movie will be no different...shallow moralizing, a couple of emotionaly manipulative "family scenes," beautiful cinematography, and a smattering of well executed action sequences. Cannot wait to check it out on HD-DVD or Blu-ray.
I agree that Zwick is the Stanley Kramer for our time, but I still enjoy his movies.
Old 02-02-08, 09:51 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Seth Rogen is going to love this movie.

Plus, like Munich, it has Daniel Craig.
Old 02-03-08, 12:24 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Looks pretty good, but what's with the tagline from the trailer? "Based on the most incredible true story you have ever heard."
Old 03-17-08, 06:06 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts
Looks good!
Old 03-18-08, 01:22 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 366 Likes on 266 Posts
Originally Posted by BambooLounge
Ugh! Another bloated "message movie" from Zwick.
Yea. They are a bit thick. But they're ultimately entertaining.

Jews vs Nazis. Such a two-sided issue for Zwick. Those poor Nazis.
Old 03-18-08, 10:52 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 243 Likes on 178 Posts
Originally Posted by Rizor
Looks pretty good, but what's with the tagline from the trailer? "Based on the most incredible true story you have never heard."

Fixed.
Old 03-18-08, 11:36 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

No Jan-Michael Vincent, no sale!
Old 03-20-08, 01:29 AM
Suspended

The trailer got me pretty exited about Defiance. It looks like a quite original standpoint. Jews fighting back and all. We'll see, there will probably be another trailer in the next couple of months.
Old 10-10-08, 10:25 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Polish historians are pissed they say these brothers massacred whole Polish villages. Opens in US on 12/12/08. Here's latest trailer (looks good) and article.

http://www.variety.com/index.asp?lay...tid=1846688244

http://www.variety.com/article/VR111...query=defiance
Old 10-18-08, 11:25 PM
Banned

This has been moved. Strangely this is coming out days after another WWII movie (Valkyrie). If I had to coose one WWII movie to see I'd prob. pick Defiance if only cause at least this one is Rated R like a WWII movie should be.
http://www.variety.com/article/VR111...goryid=13&cs=1
"Studio also moved Ed Zwick's "Defiance," a Holocaust drama starring Daniel Craig and Liev Schreiber, to a 2009 wide release. The film, which was scheduled to open Dec. 12, will still get an Oscar qualifying run by bowing Dec. 31. But Paramount will release the Vantage title wide on Jan. 16.

Both "The Soloist" and "Defiance" were booked into the AFI Fest next month.

Moves save the studio some $60 million-$70 million in prints and advertising costs before the end of the year. By moving the two wide releases into 2009, Paramount can count all its P&A costs and revenues in the same year, rather than taking a steep year-end hit on marketing costs.

In its old date, "Defiance" would have gone up against the debut of Miramax's "Doubt" and the Weinstein Co.'s "The Reader," as well as the expansion of "Milk" and "Frost/Nixon.""
Old 10-19-08, 06:57 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 425 Likes on 306 Posts
I was looking forward to this right around christmas since zwick's last two films were released around the same time.

Last edited by Bluelitespecial; 10-20-08 at 06:39 PM.
Old 10-19-08, 07:53 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Is Valkyrie still scheduled for 12/26/08?
Old 11-11-08, 12:24 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Variety review:
A potentially exceptional story is told in a flatly unexceptional manner in “Defiance.”.....But Edward Zwick’s version of the grim but inspirational events becomes more conventional as it goes, topped by a climax straight out of countless war pics and Westerns.
Old 01-19-09, 09:43 PM
Banned

Re: Defiance (Zwick, 2008)

My friend and I just saw the movie and thought it was pretty conventional and flat, except for the beautiful cinematography. We both gave it a 6 out of 10.

So we came up with this idea:

Why Edward Zwick Should Direct An Action Film

Over the last twenty years, Edward Zwick has been Hollywood’s resident socially-aware director, shelling out well-intentioned historical epics and military thrillers every couple of years to lukewarm critical applause, save Glory, which is the man’s masterwork critically lauded. Also, Courage Under Fire is a wildly over-looked war film. But both of those films were over a decade ago, and it shows.

Recently, Zwick has given us Blood Diamond and Defiance. Both films tell very interesting stories based on a certain amount of truth, one revolving around the illegal drug trade and warlords in Sierra Leone, the other about a trio of Jewish brothers who saved over a thousand people from the Nazis by living in the Belorussian Forest. Unfortunately, both films are weighed down by heavy-handed dialogue and slow-paced storytelling.

In short, the best parts of both films are the action scenes. The scenes in Blood Diamond that involve bombs and gunfire are brilliantly choreographed and nail-biting to watch. Unfortunately, the film spends a considerable amount of time confronting the political side of the illegal diamond trade and winds up trying to bite off far more than it can chew. Defiance does a similar thing, trying shine a light on several different characters within the group of survivors while never taking the time to make the viewer care about Tuvia Bielski (played by Daniel Craig), who led the group. While watching the film, I felt the struggle of his character would have been so intriguing had I cared enough about him to be curious. It’s as if Zwick assumes the viewer will be swept simply because the amazing story (and it is amazing) is a true one. Has he forgotten that it is all about the execution?

I don’t think so, because the action scenes are beautiful in Defiance as well, save the stunted and choppy final battle scene, which looks to be have been more of a post-production editing problem.

The guy should put away the history books and just direct an action film. Once you’ve made Tom Cruise The Last Samurai, it’s time for a style change.

Ed, direct something like Pierre Morel’s Taken, a all-out actioner with little plot and less intelligence starring Liam Neeson. Luckily for Taken, those films do not rely on either of those two things but rather it relies mostly on style. Style is something which Zwick appears to have a bunch of, when it comes to directing action. Take the scene in Blood Diamond where DiCaprio and Hounsou attack the war lord base during the aerial bombing, or the first time in Defiance that Daniel Craig and his brothers ambush a Nazi patrol to steal food and ammunition. Both of these scenes make the most of both close-up frames and establishing shots and allow the action to occur naturally wth special effects that are top-knotch.

Match this “eye for action” with a solid action star like Jason Statham (or Liam Neeson? who knew he could be so badass?) and you’ve got a hit. Not only a hit, but a fun fucking film that won’t beat down social issues into the viewer like he’s a 5th grader. Not that we don’t need that sometimes. Alright, Ed, at least switch off between historical epic and straight action every other year, just to keep it fresh.

Zwick has had a long career, and he’s getting old (he’s 56). This age is reflecting into his work, which feels more and more sloppy and inpassionate with each new film.

Make an action movie, Ed, and feed whatever passion you’ve got left into scenes involving flipping cars and well-orchestrated bare-fisted brawls. Think Crank 3: Higher Voltage. And, for God’s sake, if you’re going to hire Tom Cruise, keep him away from the Samurai swords.
Old 01-22-09, 07:35 AM
DVD Talk Legend

This film had some flaws but I liked it.

Not a masterpiece, but a solid film and I liked the story.

Too many bombs going off 10 feet form people and them only 'bouncing' and surviving is a complaint.

But a good story with solid acting form the two leads.
Old 01-23-09, 10:47 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

This movie was surprisingly and unexpectedly awesome! One of the most exciting movies of the year! It's the only movie I've seen all year with the most clapping as well. And I didn't expect the film to be emotional at all! Craig and Shreiber are awesome actors.

8.5 out of 10!!
Old 01-24-09, 01:57 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

I thought it was good, not great. Good enough for me, though.

Seeing Schreiber kick ass only made me yearn more Wolverine and I might be one of only about 7 people who really liked "Munich" so it was good seeing Craig again as a bad-ass Jew getting revenge.
Old 01-24-09, 02:06 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by toddly6666
One of the most exciting movies of the year! It's the only movie I've seen all year with the most clapping as well.
Well, we are only three weeks into the year.
Old 01-24-09, 08:32 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

You know, I saw this movie last week, but haven't mustered up enough much enthusiasm to even type a few sentences on it. So, all I'll say is that it could have been an epic story, but I found the overall tone of the film a bit schmaltzy given the subject matter and the direction by Zwick.

I give it 2.5 stars, or a grade of C+ (only see it if you're a fan of the lead cast, I suppose).

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.