Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Shopping Discussions > DVD Bargains
Reload this Page >

They're Back! $5.00 OFF Coupons for Best Buy DVDs on Back of AMC Popcorn Bags!

Community
Search
DVD Bargains Post and Discuss DVD Related Bargains including DVD Clubs

They're Back! $5.00 OFF Coupons for Best Buy DVDs on Back of AMC Popcorn Bags!

Search this Thread

Old 01-31-08, 06:10 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
They're Back! $5.00 OFF Best Buy "TV on DVD" Coupons on AMC Theater Popcorn Bags!

I attended a senior matinee at my local AMC theater yesterday and purchased a large bag of popcorn for my lunch. I was surprised to see two coupons on the surface of the popcorn bag... one for $5.00 off a DVD (or perhaps a HD/BD?) at Best Buy and another for a free 20 oz Diet Coke with the purchase of another 20 oz Coca-Cola product! Both coupons expire March 31, 2008.

These are the same coupons offered about a year ago. I am not sure if the coupons are also on smaller popcorn bags. Last year, they were not.

For those of us who can't afford to purchase a $6.00 to $7.00 large popcorn to snag a $5.00 DVD coupon, it is back to DUMPSTER DIVING! I remember last year grabbing a bunch of these popcorn bags after the movie ended and other customers left them on the seats or floor of the theater or tossed them in the trash. I think I saved nearly $75.00 scooping these popcorn bags! When you're an old retiree, every nickle counts!

Last edited by oldchuckles; 02-01-08 at 12:43 AM. Reason: Coupon is only good for "TV on DVD" not all DVDs!
Old 01-31-08, 07:00 PM

Good deel and suggestion, I am not fortunate enough to have any AMC theaters anywhere within a 100 mile radius.
Old 01-31-08, 07:25 PM

Great idea, unfortunately I am also AMC-free.
Old 01-31-08, 07:32 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Thanks for the info but I'll pass on the dumpster diving and trash collecting.
Old 01-31-08, 07:34 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Fine print?
Old 01-31-08, 07:36 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I was at AMC last night and finally watched Charlie Wilson's War (awesome movie...by the way) and I got a popcorn bag but the popcorn came in a Transformers bag back from July...so no free Best Buy Coupon.

It was kinda strange, too. The movie had a lot of previews for movie's already in the theater (there was a trailer for There Will Be Blood, The Bucket List, and Untraceable).
Old 01-31-08, 08:49 PM
Challenge Guru & Comic Nerd

Received 676 Likes on 452 Posts
Good find Danol!
Old 01-31-08, 08:58 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Originally Posted by Trevor
Good find Danol!
Old 01-31-08, 09:01 PM

Originally Posted by Peep
Fine print?

The coupon states, "Markdowns taken from regular prices. Limit 1 offer per coupon per household. Not good in combination with any other coupons or offers. Valid only at Best Buy stores in the U.S.A. Valid on in-stock items only. No rain checks. Coupon must be presented at time of purchase. No copies. Coupon valid through 3/31/08."

Note: I previously used these $5.00 coupons on Best Buy opening week sales items to maximize my savings. There has never been a problem. Also, I have made SEPARATE purchases using these coupons on the same store visit with never a problem. However, as usual, YMMV!

Last edited by oldchuckles; 01-31-08 at 09:07 PM.
Old 01-31-08, 09:12 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
My AMC popcorn bag's coupon said it was $5 off a TV on DVD set, did anyone else's coupon say the same thing?
Old 02-01-08, 12:00 AM

Originally Posted by Patman
My AMC popcorn bag's coupon said it was $5 off a TV on DVD set, did anyone else's coupon say the same thing?
You are absolutely correct! My popcorn bag also says "TV on DVD" in white print against a black background and somehow I didn't notice the "TV" part of the coupon!

Old age is terrible. Here I am wearing tri-focal glasses and still can't see nothing!

I guess there won't be a need for a lot of dumpster diving after all! Hopefully, there will be at least a couple of good TV on DVD boxsets coming out between now and 3/31!
Old 02-01-08, 02:59 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

$5 off MSRP on a TV box set. I don't think you'll find many bargains there. Oh well, teach me to get excited by something I read on the internet.
Old 02-01-08, 03:32 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer & TOAT Winner

Received 331 Likes on 250 Posts
You're fortunate if you don't have an AMC theater in your area- they stand for All Movies Compromised. Regal is just as bad though.

If they were showing trailers for movies already out, that means their people are ridiculously lazy. When I was a projectionist (or "booth manager" in corporate terms) any trailer that said "Coming Soon" got yanked as soon as the movie came out.
Old 02-01-08, 09:23 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Nothing quite like handing a Best Buy cashier a greasy, butter-dripping coupon.
Old 02-01-08, 09:48 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by Peep
$5 off MSRP on a TV box set. I don't think you'll find many bargains there. Oh well, teach me to get excited by something I read on the internet.
I was hoping to use it on a Veronica Mars season 3 purchase (on sale for $19.99 this week), but the coupon probably wouldn't work on the sale prices for the VM S3 boxset.
Old 02-01-08, 10:02 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Well, you could always get lucky.
Old 02-01-08, 10:52 AM

It will always be YMMV with coupons like these. They usually say "not on sale pricing" or "off MSRP" in the fine print, but the registers often automatically just take the $5 off no mater what. It will just depend on your cashier/manager each time.

At first, I got slightly excited about this, as I go to the movies at least twice a week on average. But then I remembered that I have never been to an AMC theater, as they don't take the movie cash and similar free tickets that I always use.
Old 02-01-08, 12:53 PM

Originally Posted by Patman
I was hoping to use it on a Veronica Mars season 3 purchase (on sale for $19.99 this week), but the coupon probably wouldn't work on the sale prices for the VM S3 boxset.
I always take these butter-stained coupons home and rub some margarine or additional butter over the fine-print area of the coupon. The greasier the better! When I submit these coupons to a Best Buy cashier, they look at the coupons in disgust and just scan them into the system quickly. No one holds these smelly (rancid) coupons up to their nose/face to read the fine print!
Old 02-01-08, 04:38 PM

Eighteens posts and we finally get the popcorn smilie! Nice restraint people, but good placement chuck.