DVD Talk
For any Detroiters out there... [Archive] - DVD Talk Forum

PDA

View Full Version : For any Detroiters out there...

Fielding Mellish
01-31-08, 02:43 PM
A buddy at work just built this...

<object width="425" height="355"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/0_ZevFbcIIo&rel=1"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/0_ZevFbcIIo&rel=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="355"></embed></object>

bhk
01-31-08, 03:38 PM
What did the mayor do?

Fielding Mellish
01-31-08, 03:39 PM
What did the mayor do?

http://www.cnn.com/2008/US/01/30/detroit.mayor/index.html

bhk
01-31-08, 03:45 PM
http://www.cnn.com/2008/US/01/30/detroit.mayor/index.html

Interesting that in that entire article there was no mention of the mayor's political affiliation.

JasonF
01-31-08, 03:45 PM
What did the mayor do?

Cheated on his wife with his Chief of Staff, and then lied about it.

wishbone
01-31-08, 04:05 PM
Cheated on his wife with his Chief of Staff, and then lied about it.Before the Free Press printed the contents of tawdry text messages between Mayor Kwame Kilpatrick and his chief of staff, Christine Beatty, and before the recent civil trial where the two officials denied under oath that they were romantically involved, there was this Metro Times story that first brought the allegations of infidelity to light. From the outset, Kilpatrick’s response has been to steadfastly deny any illicit behavior and attack his accusers as liars seeking a big payoff in court. And that gets to the core of what has always made this an important story — not allegations of philandering, but rather the actions of a mayor willing to ruin the careers of two police officers in order to protect his public image.
— Curt Guyette, 1/25/08http://www.metrotimes.com/editorial/story.asp?id=6269

wishbone
03-24-08, 11:30 AM
UpdateDetroit mayor to face felony charges

DETROIT, Michigan (CNN) -- A Wayne County prosecutor said Monday she will seek felony charges against Detroit's embattled Mayor Kwame Kilpatrick.

Kilpatrick, who is married, has been snarled in a well-publicized sex scandal since January after The Detroit Free Press reported he exchanged romantic text messages with his then-chief of staff, Christine Beatty.

The Detroit Free Press reported in January that in an analysis of nearly 14,000 text messages on Beatty's city-issued pager, it found some from 2002 and 2003 that indicated the two were having a romantic affair.

The newspaper report contradicted testimony Kilpatrick gave last August in a court case brought by police officers against the mayor and the city of Detroit alleging the mayor retaliated against the officers for their role in investigating his office. Critics alleged that Kilpatrick committed perjury in the case and called for his resignation.

In testimony during that case, Kilpatrick and Beatty both denied having a romantic relationship.

Prosecutor Kym Worthy said that "even children understand that lying is wrong. Witnesses must give truthful testimony."

Worthy said she will seek perjury, official misconduct and obstruction of justice charges.http://www.cnn.com/2008/POLITICS/03/24/kilpatrick.investigation/index.html

Neil M.
03-24-08, 01:26 PM
Kwame is finally getting what he's deserved for the last 5 years. Just wait until everyone attached to him starts going down in flames. This goes way beyond affairs and perjury. We have a potential involvement in the murder of a stripper as well. This is just the beginning. It's too bad because Detroit deserves better. But they voted him back in despite the controversies.

OldDude
03-24-08, 01:36 PM
Loved the lawyer. "My client is innocent and if there IS any evidence, (that he's a lying cheating bastard, exactly as charged), I'll get it excluded."

The sad fact of our justice system is that the "whole truth" is not wanted and the jury is forbidden to hear it. Only the truth the CAN'T successfully be argued as inadmissible is desired in court. So, it's hard to say whether he will get away with it or not. Public opinion seems to have turned against him though. If he does skate free, I doubt he can win reelection next year.

Neil M.
03-24-08, 01:44 PM
There's no way he's going to get away with this. His lawyers will try to get the text messages thrown out as evidence but there's no way that's going to happen. He's already tried to prevent them from being released to the public and that failed miserably. They were obtained legally. Even with his high profile lawyers, I truly believe that the evidence is so overwhelming. Kym Worthy is a fantastic prosecutor and she'll have no trouble putting him away.

Everything his lawyer said was laughable.

OldDude
03-24-08, 01:45 PM
Interesting that in that entire article there was no mention of the mayor's political affiliation.

Here you go; the Yahoo/Reuters article is willing to admit he is a Democrat. At least Kwame can't cry "racism" this time. The prosecutor is black too. A lot of the lawyers in the city's law department seem to have had active roles in the coverup and may get charged too, at least with obstruction of justice.
http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/20080324/pl_nm/detroit_mayor_dc_6
Detroit's Democratic mayor indicted in sex scandal By Kevin Krolicki
1 hour, 57 minutes ago

DETROIT (Reuters) - Detroit Mayor Kwame Kilpatrick was charged with perjury, obstruction of justice and official misconduct on Monday stemming from a sex scandal and the prominent Democrat's handling of an $8.4 million settlement of a whistle-blower lawsuit against the city.

The controversy surrounding the black politician once seen as a rising star in his party has deadlocked city government and could spill over to presidential politics and the issue of how the Democratic Party handles Michigan delegates still being contested by Hillary Clinton and Barack Obama.

The eight-count criminal indictment announced by Wayne County Prosecutor Kym Worthy included two counts of obstruction of justice and four counts of perjury. The perjury charges each carry a prison term of more than 15 years.

"The justice system was severely mocked and public trust was trampled on," said Worthy in a scolding rebuke of the embattled mayor.

Worthy said lawyers for the city of Detroit had attempted to thwart her two-month investigation and said some evidence had sought by prosecutors had gone missing or been destroyed.

Kilpatrick's former chief of staff, Christine Beatty, was also indicted for perjury and obstruction of justice. . . .

Neil M.
03-24-08, 02:07 PM
At least Kwame can't cry "racism" this time.

He'll find a way.

bhk
03-24-08, 06:55 PM
Updatehttp://www.cnn.com/2008/POLITICS/03/24/kilpatrick.investigation/index.html

No mention of political party in this Ass Press article.

http://www.breitbart.com/article.php?id=D8VJSSFO6&show_article=1

I guess he didn't qualify for the Clinton pass on the perjury charges.

OldDude
03-24-08, 07:14 PM
The perjury relates directly to the case of the cops he fired because their investigation was getting to close to his indiscretions. That unwarranted firing is the basis of the malfeasance charge. The perjury was intended to weaken their civil suit for monetary awards over the firing.

The obstruction and conspiracy relate to to trying to hide the perjury for several years. Plus the settlement with the cops cost the city $8+ million, when they indicated they were proposing to bring the text messages proving the perjury into the appeal process. (Kwame was appealing the verdict on the cops' suit which they had won. Kwame suddenly "lost interest" in the appeal and settled.

It really isn't a sex scandal. It is perjury, conspiracy, obstruction, and malfeasance; possibly embezzlement could be added (using city funds to settle the suit and cover wrongdoing), but it isn't charged (yet).

Neil M.
03-24-08, 07:30 PM
yeah everyone seems to be focusing on the sex scandal which really is the most insignificant aspect of the whole crime. This goes beyond just lying in a courtroom. You have a corrupt police force where no one can investigate the mayor without fear of losing their job or worse. The reputations of two honest police officers were ruined by this mayor, he used taxpayer's money to cover up his affair, and there still is that question hanging out there about why Tamara Green is dead. I have my hunches but we'll wait for the evidence to come out. This city needs a big shake-up. It has too many corrupt people. This is just the beginning.

Neil M.
03-24-08, 08:18 PM
For anyone who doesn't know who Tamara Green is....she's a stripper that was at an alleged wild party at the home of the mayor. She was supposedly assaulted by the mayor's wife because she was a little too close to the mayor and you know how jealous a woman can get. Tamara filed a police report after the incident. My memory is a little fuzzy on the time between events but she was tragically gunned down with her boyfriend sitting in the passenger seat. There were some theories that he was the intended target but the evidence didn't support it. Most of the bullets hit close to her. Plus, he says that they drove right past him for a second time and didn't shoot. The mayor denied that a party existed and it started this whole urban legend.
everyone knows it happened but there's no one to verify it, until recently. The state looked into it but half-assed because our attorney general is buddies with Kwame.
He's a republican and kwame's a democrat. It doesn't matter. Everyone is tied together. I'm not saying Mike Cox did anything illegal, he just may have not put his full effort into the matter. Now Mike Cox is seperating himself from Kwame, which is a good thing. Can't say the same thing of our governor.

Early in the investigation, documents went missing. Such as the assault report. Mike Cox investigated 55 people who were supposedly at the party and none of them said there was a party. He never questioned the mayor's wife, who was the center of the whole ordeal. For whatever reason, Kwame and Co. has tried to hide the truth from everyone. The bullets used to kill Tamara are the same caliber that is issued to police officers.

None of this was truly investigated. Any cop who tried to investigate was either moved to another department or fired. Text messages that were released today show that the mayor's chief of staff Christine Beatty talked to the chief of staff of the Police chief at that time. They specifically talk about firing one of the officers.

There are only 2 possible scenarios. 1. The mayor or anyone tied to him had nothing to do with the murder and he was just trying to protect him and his wife. 2. He or someone tied to him was involved with the murder and they attempted to thwart the investigation.

My problem with the whole thing is what did the mayor have to gain by denying the existence of the party if he truly had nothing to do with the murder? With the stripper dead, the assault charges would probably go away. If not, it would have been a slap on the wrist. With all the scandals this mayor has gone through, this would have been no big deal. Why would he put himself under suspicion of a murder case by lying about something that is almost a fact?

There is a $150 million lawsuit against the city of Detroit filed on behalf of the son of Tamara Green. His lawyer has asked for the text messages of many city employees on the night of the party and her murder. Hopefully, these will shed some light on the crime.

I've written all this but feel it is very incomplete. This story is such a long and sad one. I haven't even gotten to the other scandals. Kwame had such potential, but he chose to abuse his power. The sad fact is that alot of the evidence is probably long gone. No one may be charged with murder but there will at least be charges for those who tried to stop the investigation. This is really at the heart of the whole Kwame Kilpatrick story but no one wants to talk about it. It's starts with the party and will end with the party. The truth will come out once people start getting charged for their lies. The state is re-opening the case and the feds will likely start investigating if they already haven't. Stay tuned.....

Shoveler
03-25-08, 01:39 AM
As a native Michigander (I'm from GR, wife from Roseville, we used to live in Sterling Hts), I've followed this story on and off for the past few months. A few more points of interest IIRC (if not, someone please correct me)...

- The lawsuit filed by the two fired cops was eventually settled for $8.4 million plus attorney's fees. All of this is city money because it is directly job related. Kilpatrick didn't spend or lose a penny in this case. There was a chance to settle for several hundred thousand dollars early on, but Kilpatrick refused to do so. The final settlement was only reached after the text messages semi-surfaced, and the settlement included a clause that all involved parties conceal the existence of the text messages. It is only through the FoI Act that the Detroit Free Press eventually gained access to the text messages.

- If you read the text messages, there is no question that they directly contradict testimony given by the mayor during the trial, and I doubt that any word games (like the definition of "is" or "alone") will save him.

This will definitely get more interesting when people start talking. This isn't Clinton and Lewinsky, where Monica had to blab to Linda Tripp to create the problem, there are many, many people involved, and the prosecutor will go after all of them. I suspect that after the first few roll, the rest will have to offer up even bigger crimes to get any breaks, and this will be just the tip of the iceberg for Kilpatrick. I wonder whether the city will be able to sue to recover the money paid out in the settlement?

Neil M.
03-25-08, 05:11 AM
I wonder whether the city will be able to sue to recover the money paid out in the settlement?

My guess is they eventually will. Everything Kwame did in regard to the settlement was illegal. They will probably sue the city lawyer's as well for entering into a secret confidentiality agreement. They acted to benefit an individual and not the city of Detroit on Detroit's dime. As far as I know, he is still using taxpayer money to retain these high price lawyers. So he may be commiting a crime as he's fighting others. I think the only reason he hasn't resigned is because he needs the access to money to pay for these lawyers. I know the Free Press uncovered that he spent $24,950 to pay one of his lawyers. That amount is just under the amount that would have to be approved by city council. He's learned alot in his time in office but he hasn't learned from his mistakes.

Red Dog
03-25-08, 07:28 AM
Curse that media. Without the help of DVDtalk, I could have never figured out that the black mayor of a city where 82% of the population is black is a Democrat.

OldDude
03-25-08, 07:41 AM
Curse that media. Without the help of DVDtalk, I could have never figured out that the black mayor of a city where 82% of the population is black is a Democrat.

It may be higher. One of the black councilwomen said on TV that in a city where 90% of the population was black, City Council shouldn't be hiring a white lawyer.

Just because she is a racist doesn't mean her figure is wrong.

NORML54601
03-25-08, 08:43 AM
:lol:

bhk
03-25-08, 12:50 PM

I don't need to know all that useless demographic information. I figured out that he was a democrat because the media "forgot" to list his party affiliation in more than one article.

cinten
03-25-08, 02:18 PM
I guess he didn't qualify for the Clinton pass on the perjury charges.

Or the Libby pass.....

bhk
03-25-08, 03:39 PM
http://newsbusters.org/blogs/brent-baker/2008/03/24/abc-cbs-nbc-all-fail-id-indicted-mayor-democrat

None of the big 3 network news identify him as a democrat.

link has relevant quotes.

OldDude
03-25-08, 03:56 PM
You must be the only person in America suspicious that Kwame is really a Republican. :lol:

bhk
03-25-08, 04:04 PM
I'm not suspicious at all. I know he's a democrat by the deafening silence of most of the media on naming his political affiliation.

OldDude
03-25-08, 04:14 PM
He is a Democrat, based on past positions. The mayoral election is a "nonpartisan" election (in which only Democrats run). The nonpartisan primary winnows the field down to two Democrats who compete in the November election. His rival in the last election, Freman Hendrix is also a Democrat (based on prior positions).

Detroiters of course understand the joke, but national media might really believe it is "non-partisan."

In the interest of fairness, I must confess my township has a nonpartisan primary in August for township supervisor and the top Republican runs unopposed in November. We definitely have areas here with one-party systems. (I don't recall for sure, there may be no mention of his party on the November ballot. No Democrat has ever been fielded, even in the primary.)

DAC
03-27-08, 01:28 AM
Neil, you are right on the mark about that. The media makes it sound as though he's in trouble for perjury in reference to an affair.

Here is Kwame's mommy, Caroline Cheeks-Kilpatrick back in 2005 when Kwame ran for re-election.
<object width="425" height="355"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/ME2tkIh7VE0&hl=en"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/ME2tkIh7VE0&hl=en" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="355"></embed></object>
"He didn't just get up in here by just comin'. Yall sent him up in here. Don't let nobody talk about yalls boy!" Yup, she is a US Congresswoman! :lol:

OldDude
03-27-08, 08:15 PM
Well, the Lord High Mayor Kwame set up a legal defense fund to pay his legal bills. His spokespeople named high level 'leaders" who would be working on it. One was reality courtroom star Judge Greg Mathis.

Except, . . ., Mathis had turned them down. Here is his actual response to WDIV, also played on the news tonight:
http://www.clickondetroit.com/news/15723339/detail.html
On Thursday, Mathis sent out a statement denying his involvement.

"I was contacted Wednesday afternoon by Mayor Kilpatrick. He asked if I could serve on his legal defense committee. I informed him, I support due process, but I could not support him. This is the same type of deceit that has plunged our city into a deep crisis. Not only do I not support him, but I recommend he resign so the city can heal and move forward."

(I have not been solicited yet, but I would certainly have to inform them that they are barking up the WRONG tree.)

Neil M.
03-28-08, 05:21 AM
Gary Brown(one of the fired cops) is running against Kwame's mom for her seat in Congress. I hope he wins so bad.

I laughed when I heard the Greg Mathis thing. How can you misinterpret "No"?

DGibFen
08-07-08, 10:10 AM
Drudge is reporting that Kilpatrick has been jailed by a judge's order.

ClickonDetroit.com (http://www.clickondetroit.com/news/17120142/detail.html):

DETROIT -- Circuit Court Judge Ronald Giles sent Detroit Mayor Kwame Kilpatrick to Wayne County Jail for failing to notify the court of his trip to Canada and violating the terms of his bond.

Despite Kilpatrick's humble apologies to the court beforehand, Giles said he needed to treat Kilpatrick as an ordinary citizen and sent him immediately to jail.

Giles revoked Kilpatrick's bond and suspended all travel.

Kilpatrick's attorneys said they immediately will appeal the ruling.

Earlier Thursday, Kilpatrick waived his right to a preliminary examination and will head to trial on perjury and other criminal charges.

He has denied the charges.

Before Giles made his decision, Kilpatrick addressed the court and apologized for violating his bond conditions when he went across the border last month to push the sale of the city's half of the Detroit-Windsor Tunnel.

"Your Honor, I am asking for your forgiveness. It will never happen again," he said.

He told Giles that he violated his bond to save the city and close a $300 million deficit facing the city.

Kilpatrick continued to praise Giles and the court.

"I respect the heck out of you for taking this case under all this scrutiny," he said humbly. "I apologize. This was not at all a front to you or the court. I don't believe there is a person who has ever been through this process that respects it more than I do."

rotfl - Uh huh.

EDIT - Even better.

Kilpatrick attorney James Thomas acknowledged that the mayor violated the terms of his bond, but said it was an emergency.

"Who was dying?" Giles asked.

"The City of Detroit was sick," Thomas said, adding that the mayor was trying to save a $75-million deal that would help balance Detroit's budget.
http://www.wzzm13.com/news/news_story.aspx?storyid=96627&catid=14

Neil M.
08-07-08, 10:31 AM
Too funny

Lemdog
08-07-08, 10:35 AM
The city of Detroit has been sick for a long time. I wonder when they realized it?

OldDude
08-07-08, 10:37 AM
The "deal" that is supposed to "save the city" is basically a "structured settlement" where Detroit gives up future toll receipts for x years from the tunnel, in exchange for cash now.

It is definitely "mortgaging the future" and will make it harder for any future administration to balance the budget, because they won't have those toll revenues each year.

But Kwame's hot on it, so he looks good this year and early next year before running for reelection. The City Council sees right through it and opposes it, but I don't know about the voters.

Ranger
08-07-08, 10:41 AM
Borrowing money from Canada? How sad is that?

bhk
08-07-08, 02:04 PM
The city of Detroit has been sick for a long time. I wonder when they realized it?

I don't actually think they have. I predict they will elect more liberals to run it.

OldDude
08-07-08, 06:06 PM
Well, Kwame is spending the night in jail.

Tomorrow, to add to his woes, and relating to yet another "incident," he will be charged with felonious assault and obstruction of justice. (He shoved a deputy trying to serve a subpeona to one of his corrupt friends at his sister's house. The general level of hostility including his bodyguards made them decide not to serve the subpeona and leave.)
http://www.clickondetroit.com/news/17123514/detail.html

Our entire local news was nothing but Kwame tonight, and a large number of local leaders are now calling for him to step down. He has been an embarassment to the city for a while now, but is reaching new levels.

OldDude
08-08-08, 10:21 AM
Appeal hearing ruling: Judge over-reacted a little, new bond conditions: $50K straight cash bond no 10%, absolutely no travel business or personal, wear a tether.

New charges: Two counts, obstruction for interfering with a police officer in performance of duties, two year felony. AG wants trial within 90 days, as a much simpler case than the perjury/obstruction case.

notkevinbacon
08-08-08, 10:49 AM
Anybody see/hear this...

Councilwoman Barbara Rose Collins says:

<i>"I think it's kind of silly to lock the mayor up for going to Windsor. Windsor's across the street. I mean, he didn't leave the country"</i>

Umm... yeah...

Seriously though...
<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/xM4Gea6cjpg&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/xM4Gea6cjpg&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

OldDude
08-08-08, 10:55 AM
There are some unbelievable idiots on City Council; she's one.

Ken Cockrell seems pretty good, but I don't know about the rest of them.

wishbone
08-08-08, 10:58 AM
<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/SQuNKEYeGTM&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/SQuNKEYeGTM&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>In his effort to stay out of jail Thursday, Detroit Mayor Kwame Kilpatrick told a judge he violated his bond last month by rushing across the border after receiving an urgent call from Windsor officials about the controversial tunnel deal.

Windsor attorney Cliff Sutts, who hosted the July 23 meeting with Mayor Eddie Francis and others, recently told the Windsor Star that Kilpatrick called the meeting. Sutts has been Windsor's lead negotiator in the proposed lease of Detroit's half of the Detroit-Windsor Tunnel.

Reached Thursday by the Free Press, Francis said: "Whatever comments have been made by our lead legal adviser in the past are comments that I stand behind."http://www.freep.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20080808/NEWS01/808080370/1001

There was a brief mention of this case last night on the national news: the recap presented the story as a "lying about sex" perjury case and failed to mention the damaged reputations of the two police officers involved as well as the cover up.

JasonF
08-08-08, 10:59 AM
Anybody see/hear this...

Councilwoman Barbara Rose Collins says:

<i>"I think it's kind of silly to lock the mayor up for going to Windsor. Windsor's across the street. I mean, he didn't leave the country"</i>

In her defense, it's not as if Canada is a real country.

OldDude
08-08-08, 07:06 PM
In his effort to stay out of jail Thursday, Detroit Mayor Kwame Kilpatrick told a judge he violated his bond last month by rushing across the border after receiving an urgent call from Windsor officials about the controversial tunnel deal.

Apparently, Kwame lied about this too. Windsor officials are saying it was Kwame who called them asking for a meeting and it was set up five days in advance of the meeting (and they have phone logs). The guy thinks he can slick-talk his way out of anything.

For reasons I don't understand, the prosecutor seemes not to be allowed to introduce this in today's appeal, so I guess he skates on this new perjury. ???

Neil M.
08-09-08, 03:32 AM
For reasons I don't understand, the prosecutor seemes not to be allowed to introduce this in today's appeal, so I guess he skates on this new perjury. ???

It wouldn't be considered perjury because he wasn't under oath. Kwame is in enough trouble as it is. I think at worst, he'll be out of office by the end of the year. The assault charge should be easy to prove and all it takes is a felony to get his ass out of there.

OldDude
08-09-08, 07:16 AM
So, when you are begging the judge for leniency, you are not under oath, and it's OK to lie to him? Amazing.

Neil M.
08-09-08, 10:08 AM
So, when you are begging the judge for leniency, you are not under oath, and it's OK to lie to him? Amazing.

In Kwame's world it is ok to lie at all times.

Judge Giles threw him in jail anyways so the lie was of no importance to him in his decision. Had Giles bought his bullshit, I'm sure Kwame would have been dragged in the next day for the lie and thrown in jail. I'm surprised the prosecution didn't bring it up during the appeal but I suppose they were happy with the one day of jail. His bond restrictions are much tighter now which is all that matters to them.

It's so funny watching this guy break down after all these years of scandals. He may not have done anything for the city of Detroit, but he's been entertaining me for years. He's the ultimate trainwreck.

OldDude
08-09-08, 10:27 AM
In Kwame's world it is ok to lie at all times.

Judge Giles threw him in jail anyways so the lie was of no importance to him in his decision. Had Giles bought his bullshit, I'm sure Kwame would have been dragged in the next day for the lie and thrown in jail. I'm surprised the prosecution didn't bring it up during the appeal but I suppose they were happy with the one day of jail. His bond restrictions are much tighter now which is all that matters to them.

My point was that the prosecutor tried to bring it up in the appeal hearing, and the appeal judge wouldn't let him go there. (He might not have been prepared to offer proof of the lie as the story was developing. He made an offhand reference and the judge shut him down, which he accepted.)

HistoryProf
08-10-08, 04:03 PM
You must be the only person in America suspicious that Kwame is really a Republican. :lol:
:lol:

it's Detroit...Democrat is a given.

OldDude
08-11-08, 07:15 AM
It's amazing. Thug-boy couldn't go 24 hours without violating his bond conditions. He appears to go out of his way to violate each and every condition just to show who's boss.

http://www.freep.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20080811/NEWS01/808110381
Kilpatrick in trouble over visit with sister
Lawyers in court today will say he violated bond
BY ZLATI MEYER • FREE PRESS STAFF WRITER • August 11, 2008

Detroit Mayor Kwame Kilpatrick violated the terms of his bond by spending time at his mother's house in Detroit on Saturday while his sister, a witness in an assault case against him, was there, a spokesman for the state Attorney General's Office said Sunday.

State lawyers will take action today in 36th District Court, according to Rusty Hills, spokesman for Attorney General Mike Cox.

Ayanna Kilpatrick, the mayor's sister, was present when Kwame Kilpatrick allegedly pushed Wayne County Sheriff's Detective Brian White into JoAnn Kinney, an investigator for the Wayne County Prosecutor's Office, while White and Kinney were attempting to serve a subpoena to Bobby Ferguson, one of the mayor's friends.

Also present were his brother-in-law and officers in his security detail. The incident happened July 24 at Ayanna Kilpatrick's home in Detroit.

Cox charged Kwame Kilpatrick with two counts of felonious assault in the case.

"The order's clear," Hills said. "There's not supposed to be contact. There was contact."

Hills declined to say what bond modification the office was going to request. During a hearing in 36th District Court on Friday, Magistrate Renee McDuffee set Kilpatrick's bond in the assault case at 10% of $25,000, or $2,500, after he spent a night in the Wayne County Jail for violating the terms of his bond in a perjury and obstruction of justice case.

Marcus Reese, a spokesman for the mayor, denied that Kilpatrick did anything wrong. He said defense attorney James Thomas clarified with McDuffee that Kilpatrick could associate with his sister, his brother-in-law and his bodyguards.

"We think the attorney general" is "more interested in political grandstanding here, than in truly trying the facts of case," Reese said.

Hills would not comment on reports that Detroit police Sgt. Jefferson Travis, a member of the mayor's security detail who's also a witness in the case, was at the home of the mayor's mother, U.S. Rep. Carolyn Cheeks Kilpatrick, D-Detroit.

Also on Sunday, Maria Miller, spokeswoman for the Prosecutor's Office, said the office will look into Kilpatrick's travel last month to New York to see if he violated terms of his bond.

Neil M.
08-11-08, 06:03 PM
Marcus Reese, a spokesman for the mayor, denied that Kilpatrick did anything wrong. He said defense attorney James Thomas clarified with McDuffee that Kilpatrick could associate with his sister, his brother-in-law and his bodyguards.

This seems to be the truth according to the news. Even in the court proceeding, McDuffee mentioned that she couldn't stop him from contacting his sister (even though she could if she wanted to). The prosecution is going in front of Judge Giles tomorrow to get a clarification of the bond or put him in jail for a violation. My guess is they will just clarify the bond. Kwame will escape this time, unfortunately.

OldDude
08-11-08, 06:11 PM
This seems to be the truth according to the news. Even in the court proceeding, McDuffee mentioned that she couldn't stop him from contacting his sister (even though she could if she wanted to). The prosecution is going in front of Judge Giles tomorrow to get a clarification of the bond or put him in jail for a violation. My guess is they will just clarify the bond. Kwame will escape this time, unfortunately.

I agree that what McDuffee said was confusing at hell. It depends on whether you listen to her during the hearing or in her final ruling. I have NO idea why Giles is hearing it tomorrow instead of McDuffee. Giles will have to guess what she really meant; she knows (hopefully) and knows whether she clarified it later to Kwame and lawyers.

Even if she meant Kwame couldn't see his sister, she was so confusing that Kwame has an excuse this time (to be fair, which I HATE doing in his case)

OldDude
08-26-08, 03:11 PM
Bump for some BIG news. Gov. Granholm will hold a removal hearing for Kwame beginning Sep 3.

http://www.clickondetroit.com/news/17286692/detail.html
DETROIT -- Michigan Governor Jennifer Granholm will hold a historic hearing next week to help her decide whether Detroit Mayor Kwame Kilpatrick should be removed from office.

Granholm signed an order Monday and posted it Tuesday confirming the Sept. 3 hearing, beginning at 9 a.m.

The date had been proposed for weeks, but the governor still had the right to scratch it.

The Detroit City Council has asked Granholm to use her constitutional authority to force Kilpatrick from office for misconduct. Both Granholm and Kilpatrick are Democrats.

The council accuses the mayor of misleading it into approving an $8.4 million settlement with former police officers. The council claims it was "hush money" to keep the lid on text messages that revealed a romantic relationship between the mayor and a top aide.

"This is simply the next step in this incredible tragedy that has engulfed the city and region," said Sheila Cockrel.

Kilpatrick, 38, once a rising star in the Democratic Party, is charged with 10 felonies in two criminal cases. But the most immediate threat to his political future is Granholm's constitutional authority to remove an elected official from office for misconduct.

"We are obviously very disappointed that the governor has decided to go forward with this process," said Sharon McPhail, Kilpatrick's attorney, at a Tuesday afternoon press conference. "We don't think there is a good factural basis for the request by the city council to remove the mayor."

McPhail said they prepare for next weeks hearing and they will present evidence that proves the mayor did not misuse public funds for personal gain and, "That there was no failure to appropriately inform City Council about the facts of the court ordered settlement."

"Our only expectation for the hearing next week is that it is rooted in law and not the political pressures that have surrounded this matter. It is only fair that every person in these United States receives a fair trial and that includes Mayor Kwame Kilpatrick," said McPhail.

Attorneys for the council and the mayor can call witnesses at the hearing, which will be held in Detroit at the Cadillac Place Annex.

However, Granholm said the mayor may testify, but if he doesn’t want to answer questions that he feels can be held against him in a criminal trial, he does not have to. Granholm will be assisted by Gregory Holiday, a state administrative law judge.

McPhail said the decison on whether Kilpatrick would testify had not been made yet. Mcphail said she had "major concerns about the mayor's right to due process."

McPhail said no decision had been made on whether any legal action would be taken to try and fight the governor's decision. "We are having discussions about everything," she said. McPhail said there were no deals being made and that she expects a trial.

Granholm has rejected pleas from McPhail to suspend the process while the mayor deals with his criminal cases.

City council attorney William Goodman said the governor has no subpoena power, and witnesses must appear voluntarily.

Goodman said failing to act now will condone corrupt behavior by public officials.

He added that the crisis must be resolved promptly to "move forward, end the paralysis of city government and the public tragedy this personal tragedy has engendered."

The Detroit Free Press has reported Kwame is trying to work out a plea deal in exchange for resignation. He wants to avoid the felonies (and keep law license) and plead to lesser charges. No details, or takers, yet. But I think now the pressure is to settle before Sep 3. On Sep 4, he might not have a card to play in any deal.

OldDude
09-02-08, 12:02 PM
Well, the Amazing Adventures of Thug-Boy may be coming to an end.

Kwame had filed a lawsuit trying to prevent the governor's removal hearing which begins tomorrow. But the judge ruled against him.
http://www.clickondetroit.com/news/17358721/detail.html

They will be filing an emergency appeal with the Court of Appeals this afternoon, but I don't think they will meddle in the governor's process.

Kwame also has at bond hearing at 2 PM. There are a lot of rumors a plea deal will be announced there.

If not, I think the governor will start hearings tomorrow and thug-boy will be gone by Friday.

OldDude
09-02-08, 07:23 PM
Well, no plea deal at the bond hearing. Kwame doesn't have to wear a tether any more, but he still can't leave the Tri-County area.

The appeal failed. The Appeals Court ruled the governor's removal hearing can proceed tomorrow morning.
http://www.clickondetroit.com/news/17370348/detail.html

Hopefully Kwame is gone by the end of the week.

OldDude
09-03-08, 06:30 PM
Well, the governor's hearing went on all day, and probably has another day and half to go, if it goes to completion.

There was a rumor of a plea deal that would be announced at 5:15, but it didn't happen. Something broke down in negotiations. Kwame has to be in court at 9 AM tomorrow for some kind of scheduling hearing, but there may be a plea deal announced there.

If not, the governor's hearing will continue an hour after the court session ends.

JasonF
09-03-08, 08:22 PM
You've got to love that the guy has to postpone his removal hearing because he's got a criminal hearing.

I'd laugh at your predicament, but I grew up in the D.C. area while Mayor Barry was busy getting set up by the bitch, so I feel your pain.

OldDude
09-03-08, 09:48 PM
Well, now we have a new scandal. He just approved BIG pay raises for all his "buddy and relative" appointees, including some in the 30-40% range, that took effective basically immediately after he signed the memo (Aug 25).

Ken Cockrell will probably just add them to the list of appointees that he fires when he takes over, as soon as Kwame resigns or is removed.

I am glad I that do NOT live in either Detroit or Wayne county and none of my tax dollars are being wasted on this ass-hat. However, what he has done is hurting the entire SE Michigan region.

OldDude
09-04-08, 09:54 AM
Thug-Boy is in court right now, copping a plea.
He's gone. :banana:

I'm not a "dance in the streets" kind of guy, so I'll let the banana dance for me.

Also, our police chief has retired effective immediately. I suspect many others will follow shortly.

Edit: I'm still trying to sort out terms from life TV coverage (I missed 45 minutes of court appearance)
*His resignation is turned in, but delayed up to 14 days to allow for orderly transition.
*120 days in jail, starting on sentencing date in Oct.
*$1M in restitution
*Felony costs him his law license

There may be more terms I'll edit in as I learn them.

Edit 2:
*He can't run for office for 5 years, and is on 5 years probation
*He signs over his pension right to the city.
http://www.clickondetroit.com/news/17383212/detail.html

Edit 3: Governor Granholm adjourned her removal hearing until Sept. 22, just after the agreed final date for resignation (9/18). Assuming the resignation process is completed, she will cancel the hearing.

Neil M.
09-04-08, 10:06 AM
It feels good to finally have this done. Now to watch the dominoes fall.....I'm waiting for McPhail's resignation. I can't stand her.

DGibFen
09-04-08, 10:51 AM
Here's another article - http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/26516456

Hopefully he doesn't have a friend that will get him out of this mess.

Jadzia
09-04-08, 10:56 AM
He's finally going to resign? It's about time. For awhile there it was like he was in Dreamgirls: "And I'm Telling You...I'm Not Going!"

DGibFen
05-25-10, 10:49 AM
DETROIT -- Former Detroit Mayor Kwame Kilpatrick is heading to prison.

Wayne County Judge David Groner sentenced him to one and half to five years.

Kilpatrick was escorted out of the courtroom in handcuffs and will be transported to Jackson, where he will be processed and soon learn which prison will become his new home.

Before the sentencing, Groner spent more than 20 minutes discussing what led to this court hearing in the first place.

As Kilpatrick stood before him listening, he looked deep in thought. Groner reminded him the court proceedings were taking place because of him. Groner told him, "You lied under oath about your relationship with your then Chief of Staff Christine Beatty." Groner continued to tell Kilpatrick it was the lawsuit that led to him being there and owing the city of Detroit.

"You, Mr. Kilpatrick raised the issue of the ability to pay restitution," Groner said. He said Kilpatrick opened the door to all of this when he said he couldn't pay. "Your continued attempt to thwart the fact-finding function of this court," said Groner.

Groner continued to explain all of the elements that led them to be at this sentencing and told him he continued to violate the law in hiding his assets.

Groner said because Kilpatrick is a public servant, he should be held to higher standards. He said, "You have failed to accept responsibility for your actions."

Groner said probation was no longer an option. He said, "That ship has sailed." Moments later, he told Kilpatrick he would be going to prison for up to five years.

More at: http://www.clickondetroit.com/news/23657675/detail.html?hpt=T2

wmansir
05-25-10, 01:27 PM
I read the AP article on this recent development which contained some back story but not a full recap. I have a couple of questions:

Kilpatrick lied about his affair during a whistleblower lawsuit. What did the whistleblowers blow the whistle on?

The article said the city settled with the whistleblowers for $8.5M, was part of kilpatrick's $1M debt to the city related to that, or unrelated corruption?

DGibFen
05-25-10, 01:55 PM
I read the AP article on this recent development which contained some back story but not a full recap. I have a couple of questions:

Kilpatrick lied about his affair during a whistleblower lawsuit. What did the whistleblowers blow the whistle on?

Two officers sued the city in relation to their firing during a probe of Kilpatrick's actions during his tenure as Mayor of Detroit - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kwame_Kilpatrick#Whistleblower_trial

The article said the city settled with the whistleblowers for $8.5M, was part of kilpatrick's $1M debt to the city related to that, or unrelated corruption?

It's related to that.

He agreed [in the settlement] to plead guilty to two felony counts of obstruction of justice and to plead no contest to a felony count of assault on a police officer; to pay restitution to the city of $1 million; to surrender his law license, forfeit his state pension to the city and be barred from elective office for five years; and to serve 120 days in the Wayne County jail, followed by five years’ probation.

http://www.nytimes.com/2008/09/05/us/05kwame.html?_r=1&em

OldDude
06-24-10, 06:32 PM
The amazing adventures of ThugBoy continue. He has been charged by the Feds with 19 total counts for mail fraud, wire fraud, false tax returns and tax evasion stemming from misuse of funds from the Kilpatrick Civic Funds for his personal benefit.
http://www.clickondetroit.com/news/24003605/detail.html
DETROIT -- One day after former Detroit Mayor Kwame Kilpatrick was indicted on federal fraud and tax charges, his attorney spoke out about what’s next.

Watch: Kilpatrick's Lawyer Responds To New Indictment
Watch:Before Scandal, Kilpatrick Talks About Civic Fund

Arnold Reed is representing Kilpatrick, who is serving a 14-month to five-year prison sentence for probation violation at the Oaks Correctional Facility in Manistee, Mich.

“I spoke to him about two hours ago, and we had a great conversation. He’s indicated that at no more time in my life have I been focused than now,” Reed said.

Kilpatrick is facing He is faced with 10 counts of mail fraud, three counts of wire fraud, five counts of filing a false tax return, and one count of tax evasion.

Watch: Kilpatrick Indicted On Federal Fraud Charges
Watch: City Officials React To Kilpatrick Indictment

Federal prosecutors said the alleged scheme is related to the Kilpatrick Civic Fund, a tax-exempt fund that was supposed to pay for voter education and other purposes.

Instead, the 40-year-old is accused of using it as a slush fund to take cash payments for himself, friends and relatives.

Each fraud count carries a maximum sentence of 20 years imprisonment and a fine of $250,000, and each tax count carries a maximum sentence of three or five years and a fine of $250,000.

Download: Kilpatrick Indictment 6/23/10

Kilpatrick's indictment alleges that beginning in 1999, Kilpatrick devised a scheme to use the Kilpatrick Civic Fund to pay for personal expenses and to fund his mayoral campaigns in 2001 and 2005.

The government said he used the money to pay for yoga and golf lessons, golf clubs, summer camp for his kids, personal travel, a lease on a Cadillac DeVille, moving expenses, as well as "counter-surveillance and anti-bugging equipment."

The indictment also lists Kilpatrick using fund money for a crisis manager to oversee his public image and for polling and focus groups.

He is also accused of failing to report at least $640,000 in taxable income between 2003 and 2008, which includes money, private jet flights and personal expenses paid by the civic fund.

In reference to a 2004 tax return, the indictment states: "It stated on line 22 that his total income was $188,227, whereas, as he well knew at that time, his total income was in excess of that amount."

“What this is doing to him is making him a stronger person. Mr. Kilpatrick has indicated that he wants to do everything he can within his power to let people know he wants to contest these allegations vigorously,” Reed said.

Wayne County Judge David Groner sentenced Kwame Kilpatrick May 25 for violating probation in two 2008 criminal cases stemming from lies Kilpatrick told under oath during a 2007 whistleblowers' lawsuit trial.

He served 99 days in county jail and was ordered to repay Detroit $1 million in restitution. He wound up behind bars again last month after Groner determined he failed to adequately report his assets and turn over certain financial records.

Groner ruled he could be released after a minimum of 14 months.

Reed said Kilpatrick is adjusting and doing as well as can be expected.

“Mr. Kilpatrick is doing extremely well,” Reed said. “He’s a strong man, a very strong man.”

Leaders React To Kilpatrick Charges

At a gathering in Waterford Township on Thursday, local leaders said the indictment of the former mayor is a relief, but also is only prolonging a troubled past Detroit is trying to be rid of.

"That earthquake yesterday really wasn't an earthquake.It was Kwame fainting when he saw the indictment, " said Oakland County Executive L. Brooks Patterson. "It was long awaited."

Wayne County Executive Robert Ficano said he's not surprised.

"You knew that with the subpoenas and the grand juries that something was going to happen," Ficano said.

Detroit Mayor Dave Bing said Kilpatrick's behavior is a disappointment.

"If you're there for the right reasons,and that is to service the people that live in the community here, you should never get a second thought to doing something like that," he said. "I mean, you know you're being watched and you have to stand above a lot of the things that people ask you to do."

"While we never knew when this was going to happen, none of this surprises us in the least," said Wayne County Prosecutor Kym Worthy.

Kilpatrick Investigation Begins Years Ago

In 2008, Local 4Defenders broke the story that as many as 25 people were being federally investigated for city corruption involving missing money, kickbacks and bribes.

Local 4 has learned that Detroit businessman and former Cobo Center contractor Karl Kado said in sworn statements that he not only paid Bernard Kilpatrick nearly $300,000 but also paid Kwame Kilpatrick more than $100,000 in illegal cash payments and his aide, Derrick Miller was paid $20,000.

The allegations were made in sworn statements that are part of a wide-ranging corruption probe.

Kado pleaded guilty to making false statements on his tax returns. He was sentenced to three years probation for his cooperation in the city hall corruption probe.

Watch: Detroit Contractor Who Helped Feds Gets Probation

Kwame Kilpatrick's mother, Rep. Carolyn Cheeks-Kilpatrick, said she was devastated.

"As a mother, I hope for the best for my son and will always be there for him. Beyond that, I have no further comment," she said.

Kilpatrick's spokesman, Mike Paul, released the following statement: "The FBI did a thorough five-year investigation into former Detroit Mayor Kwame Kilpatrick. Where is the corruption, payoffs and bribes everyone expected the FBI to find attached to former Mayor Kilpatrick and his office as Mayor? They found nothing associated with him personally. Those rumors were hurtful and were lies from the pit of hell! The FBI found nothing remotely close to that in their investigation because it never happened! This investigation puts an end to the ridiculous rumors that the Mayor was personally involved with corruption, payoffs and bribes. It is important to understand the Civic Fund is a non-political, nonprofit organization, which the Mayor never ran day-to-day. We will have more on the Civic Fund in the near future."

Members Of Kilpatrick's Inner Circle Go Down

In recent months, the federal investigation has moved in on the Kilpatrick's inner circle. From childhood friends, former city hall officials and business associates, the federal government has indicted several people who worked closely with the Kilpatrick on bribery-related charges.

Kwame Kilpatrick's childhood friends Kandia and DeDan Milton pleaded guilty to bribery-related charges.

Kandia Milton, who served as an executive assistant to Kwame Kilpatrick, was indicted on bribery and extortion charges stemming from deals including the sale of a city-owned camp to the Chaldean Catholic Church.

Kandia Milton and former police officer Jerry Rivers separately pleaded guilty to conspiracy in the case.

Detroit businessman Rayford W. Jackson, an associate of Bernard Kilpatrick, is serving a five-year jail sentence for conspiracy to commit bribery concerning programs receiving federal funds.

Jackson and Grand Rapid’s businessman James Rosendall Jr. bribed former Detroit City Councilwoman Monica Conyers with money and other items in return for voting in favor of a wastewater treatment contract between Synagro Technologies and the city of Detroit.

In secretly videotaped conversation with the FBI, Rosendall, who became an FBI informant, said that Bernard Kilpatrick was receiving consulting payments totaling $45,000 a month while his son was mayor.

OldDude
06-24-10, 06:32 PM
The amazing adventures of ThugBoy continue. He has been charged by the Feds with 19 total counts for mail fraud, wire fraud, false tax returns and tax evasion stemming from misuse of funds from the Kilpatrick Civic Funds for his personal benefit.
http://www.clickondetroit.com/news/24003605/detail.html
DETROIT -- One day after former Detroit Mayor Kwame Kilpatrick was indicted on federal fraud and tax charges, his attorney spoke out about what’s next.

Watch: Kilpatrick's Lawyer Responds To New Indictment
Watch:Before Scandal, Kilpatrick Talks About Civic Fund

Arnold Reed is representing Kilpatrick, who is serving a 14-month to five-year prison sentence for probation violation at the Oaks Correctional Facility in Manistee, Mich.

“I spoke to him about two hours ago, and we had a great conversation. He’s indicated that at no more time in my life have I been focused than now,” Reed said.

Kilpatrick is facing He is faced with 10 counts of mail fraud, three counts of wire fraud, five counts of filing a false tax return, and one count of tax evasion.

Watch: Kilpatrick Indicted On Federal Fraud Charges
Watch: City Officials React To Kilpatrick Indictment

Federal prosecutors said the alleged scheme is related to the Kilpatrick Civic Fund, a tax-exempt fund that was supposed to pay for voter education and other purposes.

Instead, the 40-year-old is accused of using it as a slush fund to take cash payments for himself, friends and relatives.

Each fraud count carries a maximum sentence of 20 years imprisonment and a fine of $250,000, and each tax count carries a maximum sentence of three or five years and a fine of $250,000.

Download: Kilpatrick Indictment 6/23/10

Kilpatrick's indictment alleges that beginning in 1999, Kilpatrick devised a scheme to use the Kilpatrick Civic Fund to pay for personal expenses and to fund his mayoral campaigns in 2001 and 2005.

The government said he used the money to pay for yoga and golf lessons, golf clubs, summer camp for his kids, personal travel, a lease on a Cadillac DeVille, moving expenses, as well as "counter-surveillance and anti-bugging equipment."

The indictment also lists Kilpatrick using fund money for a crisis manager to oversee his public image and for polling and focus groups.

He is also accused of failing to report at least $640,000 in taxable income between 2003 and 2008, which includes money, private jet flights and personal expenses paid by the civic fund.

In reference to a 2004 tax return, the indictment states: "It stated on line 22 that his total income was $188,227, whereas, as he well knew at that time, his total income was in excess of that amount."

“What this is doing to him is making him a stronger person. Mr. Kilpatrick has indicated that he wants to do everything he can within his power to let people know he wants to contest these allegations vigorously,” Reed said.

Wayne County Judge David Groner sentenced Kwame Kilpatrick May 25 for violating probation in two 2008 criminal cases stemming from lies Kilpatrick told under oath during a 2007 whistleblowers' lawsuit trial.

He served 99 days in county jail and was ordered to repay Detroit $1 million in restitution. He wound up behind bars again last month after Groner determined he failed to adequately report his assets and turn over certain financial records.

Groner ruled he could be released after a minimum of 14 months.

Reed said Kilpatrick is adjusting and doing as well as can be expected.

“Mr. Kilpatrick is doing extremely well,” Reed said. “He’s a strong man, a very strong man.”

Leaders React To Kilpatrick Charges

At a gathering in Waterford Township on Thursday, local leaders said the indictment of the former mayor is a relief, but also is only prolonging a troubled past Detroit is trying to be rid of.

"That earthquake yesterday really wasn't an earthquake.It was Kwame fainting when he saw the indictment, " said Oakland County Executive L. Brooks Patterson. "It was long awaited."

Wayne County Executive Robert Ficano said he's not surprised.

"You knew that with the subpoenas and the grand juries that something was going to happen," Ficano said.

Detroit Mayor Dave Bing said Kilpatrick's behavior is a disappointment.

"If you're there for the right reasons,and that is to service the people that live in the community here, you should never get a second thought to doing something like that," he said. "I mean, you know you're being watched and you have to stand above a lot of the things that people ask you to do."

"While we never knew when this was going to happen, none of this surprises us in the least," said Wayne County Prosecutor Kym Worthy.

Kilpatrick Investigation Begins Years Ago

In 2008, Local 4Defenders broke the story that as many as 25 people were being federally investigated for city corruption involving missing money, kickbacks and bribes.

Local 4 has learned that Detroit businessman and former Cobo Center contractor Karl Kado said in sworn statements that he not only paid Bernard Kilpatrick nearly $300,000 but also paid Kwame Kilpatrick more than $100,000 in illegal cash payments and his aide, Derrick Miller was paid $20,000.

The allegations were made in sworn statements that are part of a wide-ranging corruption probe.

Kado pleaded guilty to making false statements on his tax returns. He was sentenced to three years probation for his cooperation in the city hall corruption probe.

Watch: Detroit Contractor Who Helped Feds Gets Probation

Kwame Kilpatrick's mother, Rep. Carolyn Cheeks-Kilpatrick, said she was devastated.

"As a mother, I hope for the best for my son and will always be there for him. Beyond that, I have no further comment," she said.

Kilpatrick's spokesman, Mike Paul, released the following statement: "The FBI did a thorough five-year investigation into former Detroit Mayor Kwame Kilpatrick. Where is the corruption, payoffs and bribes everyone expected the FBI to find attached to former Mayor Kilpatrick and his office as Mayor? They found nothing associated with him personally. Those rumors were hurtful and were lies from the pit of hell! The FBI found nothing remotely close to that in their investigation because it never happened! This investigation puts an end to the ridiculous rumors that the Mayor was personally involved with corruption, payoffs and bribes. It is important to understand the Civic Fund is a non-political, nonprofit organization, which the Mayor never ran day-to-day. We will have more on the Civic Fund in the near future."

Members Of Kilpatrick's Inner Circle Go Down

In recent months, the federal investigation has moved in on the Kilpatrick's inner circle. From childhood friends, former city hall officials and business associates, the federal government has indicted several people who worked closely with the Kilpatrick on bribery-related charges.

Kwame Kilpatrick's childhood friends Kandia and DeDan Milton pleaded guilty to bribery-related charges.

Kandia Milton, who served as an executive assistant to Kwame Kilpatrick, was indicted on bribery and extortion charges stemming from deals including the sale of a city-owned camp to the Chaldean Catholic Church.

Kandia Milton and former police officer Jerry Rivers separately pleaded guilty to conspiracy in the case.

Detroit businessman Rayford W. Jackson, an associate of Bernard Kilpatrick, is serving a five-year jail sentence for conspiracy to commit bribery concerning programs receiving federal funds.

Jackson and Grand Rapid’s businessman James Rosendall Jr. bribed former Detroit City Councilwoman Monica Conyers with money and other items in return for voting in favor of a wastewater treatment contract between Synagro Technologies and the city of Detroit.

In secretly videotaped conversation with the FBI, Rosendall, who became an FBI informant, said that Bernard Kilpatrick was receiving consulting payments totaling $45,000 a month while his son was mayor.

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.2.0