Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Shopping Discussions > Store Forum
Reload this Page >

USPS left a package on my doorstep, it was stolen!

Store Forum Share Your Shopping Experiences at Stores both Online and Off.

Old 01-28-08, 07:50 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Not sure if this is in the correct forum or not. I ordered a couple of box sets from ebay a few weeks ago. I never received the items. I emailed the seller today and he sent me the delivery confirmation #. According to USPS' website, the package was delivered on January 17th at 8 A.M. The doorbell was not rung, as far as I can recall. They must have simply left the package on my doorstep. Is that normally their policy?? It must have been stolen by someone walking by. I'm not sure what to do now. The dvds totaled around $70.00. Am I totally screwed here? Does the seller assume some responsibility? How can the USPS just leave packages unguarded like that on a city street?? I don't know what to do.
Old 01-28-08, 08:00 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 71 Likes on 51 Posts
They usually do not ring the doorbell. Whether or not they leave packages on your porch, i think it depends on the location. I know they won't in certain areas because of rampant theft. Was the shipment insured?
Old 01-28-08, 08:04 PM
DVD Talk Legend

"Shipping insurance not offered". I just sent an email to the post office. I find it unbelievable that they would simply abandon packages like that. I emailed the seller to tell him I never received the package.
Old 01-28-08, 08:05 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 211 Likes on 178 Posts
Around my neigborhood, if they have something that doesn't fit in my mailbox, they will take it up and ring the doorbell. But I don't usually get anything from them that doesn't come with the mail, so maybe when they just deliver packages (like UPS or FedEx), they won't ring the doorbell...

I don't think the seller has any responsibility in this. It wasn't his fault and he provided the delivery confirmation. As far as he's concerned, his side of the transaction is done. Is it USPS's fault? That I don't know. I don't know their policy regarding this, but the problem is, how do you prove it was stolen (looking at it on their side)?

This is one of my fears when something gets delivered because anyone can go up and just take it and you're basically SOL.
Old 01-28-08, 08:09 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Here's the thing. USPS claims the package was delivered at 8:05 AM. I leave for work at 8:30 AM, and there was no package there. So either it was stolen in this twenty five minute window, or the delivery guy is lying and he simply kept it for himself. I don't understand how USPS can simply dump stuff without needing proof of delivery or anything. It's outrageous. I am beyond angry at this point. Does this kind of thing happen all the time? Is there no protection for the buyer?????
Old 01-28-08, 08:10 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
USPS does not offer any sort of protection for stolen merchandise-- however, if it makes you feel any better, stealing a USPS package versus a UPS or FedEx package is far worse, as it's a federal crime. You're screwed but if you were somehow able to find out who swiped it, you could screw them.
If you were home at the time though, it's time for a visit to the local post office-- there might be a file on your driver already, who knows?
Old 01-28-08, 08:15 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by domino harvey
If you were home at the time though, it's time for a visit to the local post office-- there might be a file on your driver already, who knows?
At 8:04, I'm usually in the shower, and there wouldn't have been any lights on downstairs, probably. So I can't really prove anything. Basically, I'm out 70 bucks. Wonderful.
Old 01-28-08, 08:23 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by NoirFan
At 8:04, I'm usually in the shower, and there wouldn't have been any lights on downstairs, probably. So I can't really prove anything. Basically, I'm out 70 bucks. Wonderful.
Contact the retailer and see what they will do for you.
Old 01-28-08, 08:25 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Gerry P.
Contact the retailer and see what they will do for you.
I sent the seller an email, waiting on his response. Has anyone else ever been involved in a situation like this? I paid with PayPal. Does their buyer protection apply to me in this case?

Last edited by NoirFan; 01-28-08 at 08:27 PM.
Old 01-28-08, 08:29 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 71 Likes on 51 Posts
Well, I would still pursue it. The Post office will look into it. If not, file a police report. I had an incident a few years ago where I found a bunch of opened envelopes which clearly had checks taken out. I called the Post office and they came by to investigate. It very well could be an inside job. It's happened many times.
Old 01-28-08, 08:34 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

8:00 a.m. is really early for mail delivery, at least around here. Our carrier usually makes his rounds sometime after 11 a.m.

I thought the time stamp on the DC only indicated the time at which it was scanned at the destination post office. It may have been loaded onto the truck at that time and delivered hours later. Did you have anything else in the mailbox when you left that morning to indicate that the carrier had been by?
Old 01-28-08, 08:37 PM

I think it arriving at "8 am" sounds VERY suspicious, isn't that exactly when the truck leaves the Post Office? Leave out the shower stuff, just say you were home-- it's true.
Old 01-28-08, 08:41 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Xbox69
It may have been loaded onto the truck at that time and delivered hours later. Did you have anything else in the mailbox when you left that morning to indicate that the carrier had been by?
From USPS: "Your item arrived at 8:04 AM on January 17, 2008". I don't recall a note on the door or a card through the mailbox that day at all.
Old 01-28-08, 08:48 PM

Originally Posted by NoirFan
So either it was stolen in this twenty five minute window, or the delivery guy is lying and he simply kept it for himself.
Or the much less malicious explanation... he simply delivered it to the wrong address by accident.
Old 01-28-08, 08:49 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

FedEx once left an adult signature-only package worth $15K on my doorstep while I was at work. I tore home as soon as I found out. Thankfully, it sat there unmolested for a couple hours.
Old 01-28-08, 09:05 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by StealthStratos
Or the much less malicious explanation... he simply delivered it to the wrong address by accident.
UPS did that once with a large DD order. A neighbor from down the street brought it over the next morning although the tracking # on the box gave every indication it was left on my front porch the day before. I was home at the time and it definitely was not.
Old 01-28-08, 09:18 PM

From my experience with delivery confirmation, an 8:04 delivery time often means that the package was loaded onto the USPS truck at 8:04, to be delivered sometime during the postman's route.

My postman usually comes between noon and 3:00, but almost always, delivery confirmation would say it was delivered in the morning. And every package I've ever received from the USPS has just been left outside the front door without fanfare. Thankfully, I've never had any packages stolen.

Unfortunately, I don't think there's much that can be done outside of reporting it to the post office. IMO, the seller has done all that he needed to on his end - ship it out with delivery confirmation. Hopefully, like others have said, the package was just delivered to the wrong address.
Old 01-28-08, 10:21 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by utopianz14
. Hopefully, like others have said, the package was just delivered to the wrong address.
Well that was eleven days ago, so if it was delivered to the wrong address, the person simply kept it themselves. PayPal advertises some form of Buyer Protection- would that apply in this case?
Old 01-28-08, 10:26 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 366 Likes on 231 Posts
Tough break, NoirFan. I feel your pain. I had a situation where I ordered a large book from an ebay seller. The seller wrapped it up in brown shipping paper and the mailman tucked it inside my screen door. I arrived home a few hours later, but not before a heavy storm came through and soaked the package. The book was in pretty bad shape (lots of pages stuck together from all the moisture). I was pretty irritated but figured it was hard to pin the blame on anyone. Now when I have larger packages shipped to me, I'll use a different shipping address (work/relative) if I doubt I'll be home when it arrives.

I'd follow the suggestions others have had by following up with the post office. Hopefully something positive comes from it.
Old 01-28-08, 10:35 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
This is one of the main reason why I got a PO box and have everything possible shipped there. WRT what to do as others have mentioned contact the postal service. Frankly I wouldn't expect to hear back much about it (aka I'm pretty sure you're out the money) but perhaps if they are seeing a trend in your neighborhood or w/ that specific delivery person it'll help make a case/result in something.
Old 01-29-08, 08:42 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 49 Likes on 38 Posts
The seller has no more obligation to you. He sent a package and from all readily available information, it was delivered. If I were the seller, i would sympathize with you, but offer you no recourse.
Old 01-29-08, 08:48 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

call the post office maybe they have it.
Old 01-29-08, 08:55 AM

I don't think PayPal would help you out in this situation. If you filed a complaint, they'd ask the person who shipped the item for proof of delivery. Since the USPS says it was delivered, PayPal would go with that.
Old 01-29-08, 08:56 AM

Originally Posted by BuddhaWake
call the post office maybe they have it.
First thing i would do.

In some cases I've had the postal guy leave one of those pink slips in my mailbox that says i have to actually go to the PO and pick up my package. Other times they have put the item in between the screen door and wood door on the back entrance to my house (which is off the street).

I think it's mostly at the discretion of the delivery guy.

Hopefully this is just a mix-up and your package is at the PO and it's just a simple postage due issue. Good luck to you.
Old 01-29-08, 09:07 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Location: Northern New Jersey...or as we say it "Sopranos Country USA"
I would go through USPS and file a claim. I did that with a damaged item I got from England...it was solved quickly.

I do want to make note of something....there was a story on the news (I am in NJ, so this was NYC Fox 5) about a woman who had two computers stolen. She contacted UPS and saw that someone forged her signature. But nobody would help her until the news got involved. It is a shame really that some people will steal mail. I guess I am lucky since the mail is delivered around 4:30 in my town, so someone is always home. Tough break.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.