DVD Talk
Best Buy $19.99 TV-on-DVD: Gilmore Girls S7, Veronica Mars S3, and more! [Archive] - DVD Talk Forum

PDA

View Full Version : Best Buy $19.99 TV-on-DVD: Gilmore Girls S7, Veronica Mars S3, and more!

shyguy1083
01-27-08, 07:17 PM
Best Buy.com AND Best Buy B&M are running a $19.99 TV-on-DVD sale this week. <a href="http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage.jsp?id=pcmcat143300050003&type=category">Online link here.</a>

I put Gilmore Girls S7 and Veronica Mars S3 in the title becase I think those are the best values and probably the ones people will be looking for the most. But there are some other good titles and price points available also:

<u>$19.99</u>
Entourage S1-3.2
Gilmore Girls S1-7
One Tree Hill S1-3
Veronica Mars S2-3

<u>$16.99</u>
The O.C. S1-4
Friends S1-10
Veronica Mars S1

I was pleasantly surprised to see this sale! Expected to wait a lot longer for both Gilmore and Veronica to drop to this price point. Picked up both.

Sparrow
01-27-08, 07:43 PM
Thanks for the heads up on Gilmore Girls S7. I was at BB today browsing the TV section and noticed Veronica Mars S3 was $19.99, so I purchased a copy.

I noticed that Amazon.com is pricematching GG S7, so I'll purchase it there (Prime Member and no tax). However, I wouldn't have thought to check w/o your post.

Thanks again!

Peep
01-27-08, 07:56 PM
Excellant post. Thanks!

garyb
01-27-08, 08:22 PM
How is one tree hill? Never saw it.

pepsiguy
01-27-08, 10:17 PM
I can finally complete my Veronica Mars collection, thanks for the heads up! I wouldn't have even known if it wasn't for this thread. :D

RustyOrgan
01-27-08, 10:33 PM
Wow. A whole bunch of shows for chicks. Tell me when guy stuff goes on sale (Deadwood, Tales From The Crypt, etc.)

filmsoncon
01-27-08, 10:35 PM
Wow. A whole bunch of shows for chicks. Tell me when guy stuff goes on sale (Deadwood, Tales From The Crypt, etc.)

You've clearly never watched Veronica Mars. It's clever, smart, and witty as hell-- not a "show for chicks". Plus, Kristen Bell is smokin' hot.

dman988
01-27-08, 10:37 PM
Friends, Veronica Mars, Entourage, and Gilmore Girls are not ONLY for chicks.
They're just great shows.

Thanks OP!
I completed my VM collection. Too bad I had everything else that I wanted, great price.

icarwngs55
01-27-08, 10:39 PM
AMAZON has followed best buy and lowered a lot of these prices as well!!

Mike

xfusejc
01-27-08, 11:31 PM
Getting GG and VM. Was missing both last seasons of both shows.

Thanks!

Gizmo
01-27-08, 11:38 PM
Time to return my $29.99 Target copy. Thanks

asianxcore
01-28-08, 12:08 AM
Thanks OP!

Thinking of picking up all 3 seasons of VM.

Sparrow
01-28-08, 12:36 AM

What makes these chick shows? Veronica Mars crosses both lines ;). Check it out....it's a great show.

shyguy1083
01-28-08, 12:53 AM
You've clearly never watched Veronica Mars. It's clever, smart, and witty as hell-- not a "show for chicks". Plus, Kristen Bell is smokin' hot.
Friends, Veronica Mars, Entourage, and Gilmore Girls are not ONLY for chicks. They're just great shows.

<i>technically</i>, they do list the sale as a "TV DVDs for her" Valentine's Day sale. kinda bothers me that they put these shows in a pigeon-hole, as if only "chicks" would enjoy good acting, smart writing, etc. but that's fine. got VM and GG for $10 each after my RZ certificates, they can call the sale whatever they want :)

but if you've avoided veronica mars <i>because</i> you think it's a girl's show, you're definitely missing out. i HIGHLY recommend the series to ANYONE and EVERYONE. one of the best first seasons of any television show. definitely worth making a part of your collection even by itself.

dman said it best: they're just great shows.

critterdvd
01-28-08, 12:55 AM

If you like the genre its really good. I'd say its better than seasons 2-4 of "THE O.C.," but as "the Dawson's Creek replacement show" it sometimes matches said show, but not normally in quality...

MickeyMousePal
01-28-08, 03:30 AM
So this deal is also good at BB stores?

Sunrise
01-28-08, 05:27 AM
AMAZON has followed best buy and lowered a lot of these prices as well!!

Mike
We need them to lower VM S3 to $19.99 people. I just e-mailed them.

Michael Corvin
01-28-08, 08:22 AM
I just started Veronica Mars a couple weeks ago and am about a dozen episodes in. Definitely not a chick show. Some of the stories are a stretch and the acting at times is a little suspect(watching Kristen Bell attempt emotion is cringe-worthy), but it's still very entertaining.

Granted I'm only halfway through the first season, but the best way I would describe it is imagine if Chloe on Smallville got her own spin-off.

JayDerek
01-28-08, 09:01 AM
Granted I'm only halfway through the first season, but the best way I would describe it is imagine if Chloe on Smallville got her own spin-off.

It definitely gets better...the last part of the first season is top notch.

Thanks OP for the sale update...time to go and pick up Season 3 of VM.

TANK
01-28-08, 09:07 AM
So this deal is also good at BB stores?

Yes I picked Veronica Mars Season 3 yesterday in store.

justbarelymovin
01-28-08, 10:57 AM
I wish they'd lower VM S3 on Amazon. If not, I'll make a trip to BB tomorrow. Need to complete that collection. Such a shame that the show had to end.

And it's totally not just for chicks.

ENDContra
01-28-08, 11:09 AM
Im trying to figure out how Entourage gets called a chick show. Its definitely a guy show.

Anyhow, yes, will be completing my Veronica Mars collection finally!

Sweet Baby James
01-28-08, 11:37 AM
I wish they'd lower VM S3 on Amazon. If not, I'll make a trip to BB tomorrow. Need to complete that collection. Such a shame that the show had to end.

And it's totally not just for chicks.
Keep checking back. Amazon sometimes doesn't match BB's price until the end of the week.

zekeburger1979
01-28-08, 11:44 AM
Aw, dammit!

I really want to get Veronica Mars S3 and Gilmore Girls S7, but I'm unemployed and broke.

justbarelymovin
01-28-08, 12:04 PM
Okay, guys! Veronica Mars S3 is now $19.99 on Amazon.com. :) I'm all over it!

head dvd nut
01-28-08, 12:44 PM

COOL!! Thanks for the heads up! Just placed my order for VM s3 and Jeff Dunham: Arguing with Myself for $8.98(to make free shipping). Thanks to the OP for finding the original bargain and thanks to Amazon for lowering their prices!

Peep
01-28-08, 01:02 PM

Cool. I can now complete my blind buy of the entire series! Hope it doesn't end up sucking.

justbarelymovin
01-28-08, 01:15 PM
Cool. I can now complete my blind buy of the entire series! Hope it doesn't end up sucking.

I was skeptical, but it's a truly great series. It also has a really high replay value. I can't wait to watch S3 again. It was a bit uneven at times, but by the end, I was so disappointed that it was over. So much more could have been done. I think you'll be pleased. :)

dman988
01-28-08, 02:06 PM
I seem to be the one of the few people, I guess, who thought S3 was just as good as the other two seasons. Maybe it's because I can relate more to college than high school at this point in time, but it just seemed to be a much funner show (which made up for some of the weakenesses, hence just as good).

Imail724
01-28-08, 03:52 PM
Curb Your Enthusiasm Season 1 is $14.99 and Seasons 2-5 are $17.99. Amazon is doing the same deal.

justbarelymovin
01-28-08, 04:52 PM
I seem to be the one of the few people, I guess, who thought S3 was just as good as the other two seasons. Maybe it's because I can relate more to college than high school at this point in time, but it just seemed to be a much funner show (which made up for some of the weakenesses, hence just as good).

No, I really enjoyed the third season, though it is a lot different than the previous two. I think it'll be really fun to watch a second time without all the weekly gaps. :)

KHook321
01-28-08, 04:55 PM
Some of the stories are a stretch and the acting at times is a little suspect(watching Kristen Bell attempt emotion is cringe-worthy), but it's still very entertaining.

Wow. I think this is probably the first time I've ever seen someone criticize Kristen Bell's acting, especially when talking about S1 of Veronica Mars. lol

Anyway, I'd also definitely recommend purchasing VM. It's really a brilliant show. If you're looking for a teen drama, I'd go for Seasons 2 and 4 of The O.C. over anything from One Tree Hill. OTH's alright, but not as good.

MTRodaba2468
01-28-08, 05:04 PM

You're REALLY missing out if you're passing up on a fantastic show like Veronica Mars, for a really good deal, because you (incorrectly) think that it's a "show just for chicks".

Don't worry. The show was excellent, and even the weak season (3, which honestly works much better when watching it in blocks on DVD rather than weekly) is better than the majority of shows on television.

otmetrud
01-28-08, 07:03 PM
It definitely gets better...the last part of the first season is top notch.

The payoff of the season-long arc in the season finale is breathtaking. One of the best ever.

Gizmo
01-28-08, 07:18 PM
Just bought VM3 for $19.99 shipped. I'll return it to Target with my receipt and get my $12 or so difference back. Awesome deal!

Peep
01-28-08, 08:28 PM

Only girlie-boys need to wait for things to go on sale. Man up and go out and earn some extra money!!

:)

JB7
01-28-08, 08:32 PM
Gilmore Girls S7 is nowhere to be found at any Best Buy in my area. So I went with amazon and also picked up Veronica Mars S3 so I got both for $39.98 shipped. :)

Thanks guys for the heads up!

Zbu
01-28-08, 11:03 PM
Only girlie-boys need to wait for things to go on sale. Man up and go out and earn some extra money!!

:)

I'd buy them on general principles but since HBO isn't even giving us a freaking finale, I'll wait until Deadwood goes for $20 per season. It's nothing against the show but HBO isn't getting most of my cash for that reason alone. ;)

xfusejc
01-29-08, 12:55 AM
Gilmore Girls S7 is nowhere to be found at any Best Buy in my area. So I went with amazon and also picked up Veronica Mars S3 so I got both for $39.98 shipped. :)

Thanks guys for the heads up!
It was out at most of the stores in my area. Luckily the one closest to me had it in stock, so I got in-store pick-up for both GG7 and VM3 and I'll be picking them up tomorrow :)

superdeluxe
01-29-08, 01:19 AM
The OC!

The fiance..will love it.

Easy
01-29-08, 07:09 AM
Thanks for the tip shyguy. Snagged Veronica Mars S3 at BB.

MScottM
01-29-08, 10:26 AM
Thanks OP. I picked up VM yesterday on the way home from work.

Nth Power
01-29-08, 02:32 PM
Thanks OP!
Now I get to finish off The O.C. and Veronica Mars!

JayDerek
01-29-08, 04:32 PM
Thanks OP - I went to BB yesterday as well and picked up S3 of VM.

jjcool
01-29-08, 05:02 PM

Maybe he's, you know, into dudes? Or maybe it's been a while, look at his sn.

rfduncan
01-29-08, 05:39 PM
:crap:

Wow. Quick price drop for Veronica Mars S3. Looks like I'll be completing my series collection quicker than I anticipated after snapping up S1 and S2 before Christmas for the same $19.99!
:banana:

fidodido
01-30-08, 02:59 PM
Thanks, OP.

Picked up Veronica Mars S3. Perfect timing as I had a RZ cert that was about to expire too. So I scored it for about $16.50 after taxes.

MrE
01-30-08, 04:30 PM
No, I really enjoyed the third season, though it is a lot different than the previous two. I think it'll be really fun to watch a second time without all the weekly gaps. :)
The third season was only a letdown in comparison -- it was still head and shoulders above almost everything else.

justbarelymovin
01-30-08, 05:33 PM
The third season was only a letdown in comparison -- it was still head and shoulders above almost everything else.

I wouldn't even call it a letdown, but I agree with the latter part of your statement. Got my VM S3 and GG S7 today. I love Prime! My VM S3 had some indentions on it, but oh well.

MickeyMousePal
01-30-08, 07:57 PM
Went to Best Buy to get Veronica Mars Season 3 and Gilmore Girls Season 7 for $19.99!!!
And guess what...the last day for that special is Feb.9...

Oh BTW if they don't have a season you are looking for ask for a raincheck...

sb5
01-31-08, 01:28 AM
Thanks for the info, shyguy; picked up Veronica Mars S3 from BB today.

Rypro 525
01-31-08, 02:05 AM
sweet. Should i attempt to get one tree hill for the gf. She has been trying to follow the show on soap net ( i think they skip around some.)

Indilime
01-31-08, 08:47 AM
Just wanted to add another 'thanks, OP' post! Picked up Gilmore Girls s7 earlier this week; now I can finally finish the series.

adinar
01-31-08, 01:52 PM
Thanks for the heads-up OP!! Been looking to complete my collection of Veronica Mars. Got S3 for around $16 after using $5 RZ certificate.

fujishig
01-31-08, 03:28 PM
Despite multiple stores having some stock in their computers, nobody seems to be able to find a Gilmore Girls season 7 when I go into the store (Best Buy). Instead of ordering it online (then getting it cancelled when they can't find it in store, and getting free shipping from BB.com), I just ordered it from Amazon for the same price with no tax.

Bokasmo
01-31-08, 05:01 PM

1st off, you get Sophia Bush. Besides her utter beauty, the girl can act~!

2ndly, the show is phenomenal. Great writing & story. Not just your simple afternoon soap shows...

I'm not a soap guy, nor a big chick movie person, but this show hooked me right in. Watching it just for Sophia dried up fairly quick, and show became a mainstay in our family. My wife just loves it!

Currently recording S5 on the DVR.

For $20/pop...go for it

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.2.0