Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Shopping Discussions > Store Forum
Reload this Page >

Another Best Buy Rant - Banned from their store with false accusations

Community
Search
Store Forum Share Your Shopping Experiences at Stores both Online and Off.

Search this Thread

Old 01-26-08, 11:13 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

OK. Here's another rant. Sorry, I had no where else to vent other then with my husband and I think people here would understand my rabid dvd collecting addiction.
I loved going to BB to get new releases, exclusives, etc. Early 2007, I discovered 1 store which carried a much bigger dvd selection compared to other stores in the area (OOP titles often appear there). Selection was good, customer service (at that time) was helpful and knew me, I could get my PMs without problems there etc.
So, almost everyweek, I'd make my pligrimage there to pick up new releases etc, usually a few copies for my buddies to because of the release week sale pricing, and because as we all know, some of the exclusives dissappear on release day: like the death proof steelbooks. (those were great for trading with other collectables) So, I often pick up extras but always within the 3/customer limit for new releases.
Sometimes, I buy too many and my buddies already manage to get them themselves, so I return them.
During a black friday period, when they were having those fantastic sales on HBOs and other series etc, I went a little too crazy. Great for gifts, extended return policy etc. So, I went all out to take advantage of the sales for the week knowing that I could decide later if I was going to keep them or not.
If I changed my mind, I would return with a rather large pile (as we know, series can come in box sets of 5-7 boxes to it looks like a huge return but really isnt)
Never had any problems at the store until maybe about 1-2 months ago. The switched out my regular CSRs and the new CSRs were not as helpful. They started giving me attitude about my PMs. Then last week, trouble started when I tried to return the BBY exclusive Halloween DVD w/lenticular slipcover. Purchased Dec 18, attempted exchange at 3 other stores on Jan 1 because I discovered, when I returned home, that the back of the slipcovers, where they make a hole to show the UPC was torn on both purchases. 3 1st stores I went to were sold out. So I checked online and found that my regular store had them. Reserved them for pickup the next week. I went there next week and found the dvds were all missing the slipcover. so i didn't want them and didn't want to keep the uncollectable ones I had either. CRS dissappeared then came back saying the manager will not accept damaged items. I was furious. He had made the decision without even seeing the items and was probably already ready to make things difficult for me. He said too much time (3 weeks, incl xmas holiday) was too long for the item to be in my possession. As such, he couldn't take it back because he didn't know if I, or the store had damaged it. NEvermind I still had all the tags from Jan 1 from my attempted exchanges. He said even still, 2 weeks was too long a time lapse (this incl the xmas period. I would be mad to try to go out after and before xmas to exchange them)

So return refused. Complaint sent to corprate. Got response but dude said he needed a copy of the receipt to go further so case is still on going.

2 days ago, I went back to the store to make some of my xmas returns (again, what looks like a big pile because I had the 10 seasons of SG-1 etc to return) all items brand new and unopened, with original store receipt dated nov 1 and later (eligible for the gift purchase extended return policy)
I go to CSR and they tell me they were instructed not to serve me anymore.

what appears to be the whole management team appears. 1st guy, manager of electronics & BB RZ for biz appears and says they've banned me but will take back the returns if I have receipt (I always have receipt)
I have to say that I have a sign business (also BB biz RZ because of my biz). that business affords me the $ to buy all this crap from BB.

so anyway, then the GM rushes out and proclaims i'm no longer welcome in his store. he was pissed that the other manager OKed my returns. then i produced something that was dated over 30 days (but within the extended return period) he said that was ineligible. he would not take it back. extended period is only for 'gifts' which means the receiptant of the gift will need to return it, not the purchaser (of course, it says gift PURCHASES, not gift RECEIPTS on the policy) since i had the receipt, i was the purchaser and was not eligible to return it. But he failed to clarify that the receipant would not have the receipt and would therefore not be able to return it anyway. When I tried to return a BB.com item, also dated more than 30 days, they refused it saying BB.com purchases were not part of the extended return promo. Bullcrap. They had banners on BB.com clearly advertising this extended return too. Of course, this was all bull-crap because when I then tried returning both instore and .com items at another store, CSR processed all the returns with no problems. No prompts on at checkout, no need to check with manager, nothing.

so anyway, GM's reason for banning me was because every week, I supposedly buy up ALL their new releases. I then comeback 2-3 weeks later and return ALL these dvds therefore sabotaging his store sales. It was the most shocking and outragous accusation ever. For one, media manger would never left me checkout with more than the allowed 3/customer. not to mention, that store almost ALWAS has all the dvds..every week. that's why i liked going there (of course, certain titles like t he steelbooks dissapeared quickly..not because i bought them all up). anyway, i was flabgasted.

then he accused me of having a business. I was confused because my biz has nothing to do with my purchases at BB. So i confirmed that I had a sign biz. GM looked confused then accused me of being a reseller based on the fact that i had a BB RZ for biz membership. he said his store only wanted to deal with 'real consumers', not dealers with my endless purchases, returns and PMs. he was tired of me. when i told him i spent a lot of money there (i am a platinum RZ member) he said the amount i spent at his store was irrelevant. he only wants to sell to real customers. (i know i sound crazy spending so much but i just about spend all my $$ after necessities on my movie/collectible collection. i wish i could stop but i can't right now)

then he said i'd been warned not to do what i was doing several times before (no one ever approached me about this, this was the 1st time i'd seen the GM. the only thing i'd been 'warned' about was that i was allowed 3 new releases/customer. the excess i'd tried to checkout was taken away and i never picked up more than the alotted #s again). so anyway, since i'd been supposedly warned before, this return was the last straw. i was banned from the store.
GM took back a few returns then rejected the rest. Complaint will be sent to coporate today. not sure what they'll say/do. i know i'm insane spending so much $ on this crap but shouldn't they then treat me even better for being such a big customer? banning me because i buy too much (of course, always with PM..i'm not stupid, i'll buy from the company which offers the best deal. usually the best deal at BB with 110% PM & RZ) seems stupid to me.

accusing me of buying up all the new releases then returning them to sabotage his store was the most shocking, outragous and offensive thing ever. He could easily have verfied his inventory and known that before making such a vicious accusation. Can that even be considered slander?

anyway. i'll wait and see what corporate says..if they respond.
Old 01-26-08, 11:30 AM

It's an unusual response for sure. If you had been returning items without a receipt they would have clear a reason for stopping your returns, but you had your receipt. Honestly it sounds like you set off some flags due to your excessive returns and I'm surprised a manager would ban you from the store like that, but you should have requested the manager put in writing your "ban" from the store because it's just going to turn into him denying he ever did that when corporate inquires, if corporate inquires. You should probably just chalk this up to an invitation to start shopping somewhere else
Old 01-26-08, 11:41 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
just get your dvds from Amazon they are gods. If I need to get an exclusive I guess would go to Best Buy, but for anything else I am going to get it from Amazon.
Old 01-26-08, 11:42 AM

yeah..i was just shellshocked..didn't even think of asking for the ban in writing. i know i raise eyes with my much larger than average returns but that's no excuse for my treatment. i buy tons and sometimes regret buying so much. i have the right to change my mind. if they didn't want me to return so much, then they should say all sales final. then i'll think v. hard before i actually make a purchase. doesn't say anywhere that large returns are not allowed. like i said, all items are brand new, undamaged, sealed (except for the halloween dvds, + the 300 excl which i bought online and they put in a bubble mailer and it got crushed badly - not my fault i didn't want it) with original store receipt within 30 days or the extended xmas return period. there was only 1 time i didn't have my receipt but it was for the AVP BBY excl collection set and i paid by credit card - it was in their system. i'm so upset. i would shop at walmart or CC but we all know how bad their store selection is. target is ok but will not PM. i know amazon will match most sales later but again, no 110% PM and no RZ but no tax & free s/h...so upset
Old 01-26-08, 11:47 AM

so sucks..i'd buy from amazon but having to pay return shipping if i change my mind is prohibitive
Old 01-26-08, 12:01 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Do you return more than you buy? I can see a store getting upset if you buy 2 or 3 of the same item to return 1 or 2 later. I would say that they call your returns excessive and thats their reasoning here.

Dirk
Old 01-26-08, 12:31 PM

Sounds like a perfectly reasonable banning to me.
Old 01-26-08, 12:45 PM

Originally Posted by DirkUSA
Do you return more than you buy? I can see a store getting upset if you buy 2 or 3 of the same item to return 1 or 2 later. I would say that they call your returns excessive and thats their reasoning here.

Dirk
no. i return a portion of what i buy. some of the returns were bb.com returns (you know the BOGO on HDs but then HD died so i wanted to switch to BD and dump my unopened HDs..i just bought them because of the deals but was waiting to see which was going to die before i opened them) but that shouldn't count.

like i said, i am a platinum RZ member (ie spent more than $15K at BB in 2007. I haven't dared look at how much i actually spent on movies and stuff but it's at least $15,000). so yes, i do return a portion of what i buy but i also buy a lot.

thing is, if it were 'excessive returns', they should have at least given me a warning right? besides, it doesn't say in store return policy that i'm not allowed to buy more than 1 copy then change my mind. esp for xmas season. i wanted to stock up on emergency gifts etc.

i buy stuff on sale at BB, if i find it cheaper elsewhere, i will either PM, or if it cheaper online like amazon (or even same price, no tax), i'll return the BB purchase. there's no crime in trying to get the best price. if i have to return a full series of something like say sopranos or stargate SG-1 and it looks like a big carton, then so be it right? all items sealed with original store receipt. store policy doesn't say limit 3 returns per visit or something like that. (if they did, i'd definately think 2x before buying anything on sale.)

also, while the GM refused to take back a chunk of my returns that day, his main 'reason' for my ban was that i was buying up all the new releases, then returning them all within 30days, therefore sabotaging his store. totally unfounded, ridiculous and outragous accusaction.

and his other reason was that i was a 'reseller' supposedly, because he knows i have a registered business (for the BB biz RZ account), i must therefore be reselling my purchases so i'm banned from his store. he only wants to sell to 'real' customers. 'real consumers' as he quoted. not to mention he was totally rude to me which was uncalled for.

outragous
Old 01-26-08, 12:48 PM

Originally Posted by ParadiseVendors
Sounds like a perfectly reasonable banning to me.
Agreed. Seems excessive returning to me. While it may be in the letter of their rules, why should they support your obsessive buying habits and dedicate a large block of employee's time to PMing, taking exchanges and restocking on a weekly basis just for one customer. I worked in retail for 15 years and had to deal with such customers who expect the retailer to support their hording. As a customer of many more years, why should I miss out on an exclusive because the customer before me bought the last three copies because they 'might' want them? Buy what you want, not what you might want.

Last edited by Smorri; 01-26-08 at 12:55 PM.
Old 01-26-08, 12:53 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

My girlfriend would bitch-slap me if I spent 15k a year at Best Buy.
Old 01-26-08, 01:13 PM

I'd hate to be behind you in the customer service line.
Old 01-26-08, 01:19 PM

Originally Posted by Smorri
Agreed. Seems excessive returning to me. While it may be in the letter of their rules, why should they support your obsessive buying habits and dedicate a large block of employee's time to PMing, taking exchanges and restocking on a weekly basis just for one customer. I worked in retail for 15 years and had to deal with such customers who expect the retailer to support their hording. As a customer of many more years, why should I miss out on an exclusive because the customer before me bought the last three copies because they 'might' want them? Buy what you want, not what you might want.
Because i spend enough $ there to pay 1 employee for the year. as a customer, if another person was just behind me and i took the last 3 copies, and if they mentioned that they wanted a copy, i would willingly surrender 1 copy to them. as a collector i understand the other person wanting to get a copy. however, if i'd already left the store and you came and found all the exclusives sold out then you should have come earlier. sorry but you snooze you lose buddy. i always go early to make sure i can get an exclusive i really want, or ask someone to get it.
Old 01-26-08, 01:21 PM

Seems fair to me, you are excessive and besides keeping them over 30 days is crazy..
I have to side with them on this one..If there was damage you should not have waited
so long..Some people like to abuse things and then complain..
DG
Old 01-26-08, 01:33 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 63 Likes on 39 Posts
Originally Posted by sillymonkey
i have the right to change my mind. if they didn't want me to return so much, then they should say all sales final. then i'll think v. hard before i actually make a purchase.
It's kind of surprising that thinking your purchases through is your last resort. If you'd do this instead of snatching up everything on the shelf & returning it later, you might not be in this predicament. As is, you've simply become more trouble than you're worth & are in fact taking away legitimate sales from the store.
Old 01-26-08, 01:48 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 350 Likes on 227 Posts
You're a devil customer.
Old 01-26-08, 01:56 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I'm surprised they took back any of your returns. I hope you are banned from all of their stores and not just the one location.
Old 01-26-08, 02:07 PM

Keep a low profile. Avoid the "problem" store and shop the other Best Buys in your area. After about 9 months, the CSRs and managers will be replaced by normal turnover and you'll be able to shop there again with new friendly faces.
Old 01-26-08, 02:10 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Originally Posted by Eddie W
It's kind of surprising that thinking your purchases through is your last resort. If you'd do this instead of snatching up everything on the shelf & returning it later, you might not be in this predicament. As is, you've simply become more trouble than you're worth & are in fact taking away legitimate sales from the store.
Don't exaggerate. She said she never buys more than 3 copies of a single title. If that's enough to significantly impact sales, then that store is simply not stocking enough.

Furthermore, a customer who buys without thinking is EXACTLY the kind of customer a store like BBY should be catering too. Even if it involves a lot of returns. Those purchasing habits have obviously benefited the store since she has been spending more than $15K/yr there in order to get that platinum reword-zone level (and returned merchandise doesn't count towards acheiving 'platinum' status). Big spenders expect good service.

Sillymonkey - here's an off-the-wall quesetion - are you foreign-born? I get an asian 'vibe' from your writing style.
Maybe there is a bit of cultural-dissonance at work here.
Old 01-26-08, 02:10 PM

Seems a bit a obsessive to be returning that much crap on a constant basis. I wouldn't want to put up with it either.
Old 01-26-08, 02:16 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I don't own or manage a store, but if I did I wouldn't want you as a customer.
Old 01-26-08, 02:19 PM
DVD Talk Legend

So change policy to limit returns if it's such a bother. Don't just ban someone some random day. That's pretty lame.
Old 01-26-08, 02:26 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by chrisih8u
So change policy to limit returns if it's such a bother. Don't just ban someone some random day. That's pretty lame.
That's my feeling as well. If the policy is there, then honor it until you change it.

Seems the OP should try to control the impulse buying anyways.
Old 01-26-08, 02:37 PM

You say you spent over $15,000 @ BB; BUT, how much of that did you get back with all of your returns????
Old 01-26-08, 02:42 PM

Originally Posted by Jah-Wren Ryel
Don't exaggerate. She said she never buys more than 3 copies of a single title. If that's enough to significantly impact sales, then that store is simply not stocking enough.

Furthermore, a customer who buys without thinking is EXACTLY the kind of customer a store like BBY should be catering too. Even if it involves a lot of returns. Those purchasing habits have obviously benefited the store since she has been spending more than $15K/yr there in order to get that platinum reword-zone level (and returned merchandise doesn't count towards acheiving 'platinum' status). Big spenders expect good service.

Sillymonkey - here's an off-the-wall quesetion - are you foreign-born? I get an asian 'vibe' from your writing style.
Maybe there is a bit of cultural-dissonance at work here.
Thank you for seeing my point of view! the GM's reason for banning me was because i bought ALL the new releases then returned them ALL. i buy no more than 3/title on my visit and shelves are always left with tons more copies. unless they are limited releases (which are bought by others anyway), those dvds are always on the shelves.

why should i think twice before i buy? they are impulse buys - bought on impulse so i don't think twice before i buy. if after i buy it and that's the best deal i find, i normally keep it/give it away/trade for other goodies.

and yes, i am foreign born and i am from asia. the store i frequent is very white-bred. I hate pulling the race card but now that it's brought up, yes, that has been on the back of my mind. especially since the store is polite, takes back items, even looking up receipts for other customers...but doing these things for me is an issue for them.

anyway, if there was any problems with what i was doing, i think it would have been appropiate for the store to have given me some fore-warning - i do spend a lot of $$ there. If, after the warning, i continued my 'antics', then fine, ban me. whatever.

yes, if i ran the store, i probably won't want to deal with me either. but then again, i won't have that return policy/PM policy

but, double-edged sword, if BB didn't have these policies, i definately would not have spent even a fraction of what I did there.

I did everything within their rules. i bought stuff under their promise that i could change my mind and with the understanding that i have price protection. to ban me out of the blue one random day, i think, is v. unfair.
Old 01-26-08, 02:47 PM

Originally Posted by head dvd nut
You say you spent over $15,000 @ BB; BUT, how much of that did you get back with all of your returns????
nothing. that's $15K after any returns. and that's just the min. amount of purchases i kept because of the RZ tier. i haven't actually sat down and checked how much i've actually spent there (not counting returns)

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.