Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Can someone answer me a question about Fright Night

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Search this Thread

Old 01-25-08, 05:32 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I finally watched Fright Night for the first time and something is bothering me and keeping me from enjoying the film, so if someone can provide an explanation to my question I'll enjoy the film much more. Oh, I asked a co-worker today to explain it and he basically said just enjoy the film and don't try to rip it apart.

Anyhow, can someone explain to me why the vampire played by Chris Sarandon goes the dance club in the film and reveals he's a vampire (if anything a killer) to the whole club while killing two bouncers when only two people (Charley, Peter Vincent) can identify him as a killer/vampire. The whole point of the vampire going out that night was to get rid of the people that could possibly identify him as one.

I know this isn't an intellectual film by any means but this film seems to have a cult following so I must have missed something during the scene that's keeping me from enjoying it.

Last edited by DVDho78DTS; 01-25-08 at 05:34 PM.
Old 01-25-08, 05:37 PM
Banned

Maybe the other club patrons would think he is just high on crack or something?
Old 01-25-08, 05:45 PM

Originally Posted by chris_sc77
Maybe the other club patrons would think he is just high on crack or something?
I can accept people might not suspect him to be a vampire despite the glowing red eyes and huge claw hands, but he is still revealing himself as a killer, so wouldn't that be more trouble than it's worth and counterproductive to the whole reason he went out that night? I mean, he knows where Charley and Peter Vincent live.
Old 01-25-08, 08:23 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
It could possibly be because Charlie has already been proven to be a liar to the authorities, and people in a club pay less attention to things than you might think. Remember the club scene in Robocop? Exactly. Those who actually bothered paying attention thought it was sweet, if anything. Dandridge knew no one would notice him enough to be caught and, since it was nighttime, he needed to get rid of Charlie asap before he caused him any more problems once daylight hit.
Old 01-25-08, 08:37 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
The biggest question for me was, what kind of creature was the vampire's sidekick? A zombie?
Old 01-25-08, 10:12 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 114 Likes on 101 Posts
Originally Posted by Rockmjd23
The biggest question for me was, what kind of creature was the vampire's sidekick? A zombie?
There's usually a trend when the vampire's guardian is some sort of indestructable man. James Mason played a similar character in the original Salem's Lot.
Old 01-25-08, 10:20 PM

Originally Posted by KillerCannabis
It could possibly be because Charlie has already been proven to be a liar to the authorities, and people in a club pay less attention to things than you might think. Remember the club scene in Robocop? Exactly. Those who actually bothered paying attention thought it was sweet, if anything. Dandridge knew no one would notice him enough to be caught and, since it was nighttime, he needed to get rid of Charlie asap before he caused him any more problems once daylight hit.

I guess I can't get pass the whole idea no one in a club full of people would be able to identify him as a killer or maybe even a vampire but also why even take the chance. There are only two people that can identify him as a vampire/killer then Dandridge needlessly goes and pulls these shenanigans at the club. The whole concept doesn't make any sense. It was just disappointing since I was really enjoying the film up until that point.

I'm just seeing Fright Night for the first time so I can easily admit not seeing Robocop or at least all the way through.
Old 01-25-08, 10:23 PM
Banned

Maybe everyone in the club was high from smoking crack and therefore the vampire smelled this and realized he could do whatever he wants because crackheads do not make reliable witnesses? Sorry, but i think the smoking of crack was involved somehow.
Old 01-29-08, 10:34 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Charlie actually believes he is a vampire and is intent on doing something about it. Even if people in the club thought he looked and acted like a vampire, the odds of them actually thinking he was a real vampire and going after him as such are ridiculously slim. The vampire is out to attack the one who would attack him. Anonymous people telling cops they saw a psycho with claw hands is not really a threat to a real vampire.