Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Kubrick's "Eyes Wide Shut"

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Search this Thread

Old 01-18-08, 04:12 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I just saw this film again for the second time. The first time I saw it while in college over the course of two days. That was five years ago.

Anyways, I just wanted to start a discussion about this movie and see everyone's opinions. This isn't a mega blockbuster, so I don't see it talked about much on here.

But what did you think? What did you like? I haven't seen more than three Kubrick movies, so I'm far from a master when it comes to his movies. But this movie was deeply layered in so many areas, I feel I'd need to watch it three more times to catch half of the symbolism--whether it was with lighting, or things in the background, subtext etc.

Thoughts?
Old 01-18-08, 04:15 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Wasn't too keen on it when I first saw it back in highschool, but it has aged rather nicely (as, I might add, has Nicole )

-Doc
Old 01-18-08, 04:17 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by PacMan2006
But this movie was deeply layered in so many areas, I feel I'd need to watch it three more times to catch half of the symbolism--whether it was with lighting, or things in the background, subtext etc.

Thoughts?
Yes.

I've seen it 5 or 6 times now... Like all Kubrick, very layered.
Old 01-18-08, 04:47 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 216 Likes on 155 Posts
I personally see it as a very moral movie about marriage... almost a prodigal son type of story - a man leaves, gets himself into trouble...and comes back to seek forgiveness and start over. I do not find the graphic scenes erotic or enticing in any way, in fact I see them as pretty repulsive... this is heightened by the dark surroundings, ominous music, etc.

The movie should've been trimmed a bit, but overall I think it's a strong piece of work all around.
Old 01-18-08, 05:52 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 14 Likes on 7 Posts
I think it's about curiosity most of all. I liked it.

the Migrations track and a couple others in particular, have been some of the most mesmerizing music I've ever heard.
Old 01-18-08, 06:27 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Didnt think too much of it when i first saw it, but with each viewing i found myself more and more intrigued by it. Its definetly an odd film in subtle ways, but its great nonetheless.
Old 01-18-08, 06:37 PM

One of my top 100 favorite movies. It certainly has its flaws (and the insistent rumors that the released version was only Kubrick's first rough cut are compelling) but I love it in spite of a few shortcomings. Intelligent adult dramas are, in my opinion, quite rare these days. Although a few of the plot points might stretch reality a bit, I felt the characters and their conflicts were masterfully created, and that the dialogue was frank and geniune in a way that few movies are. And Kubrick's eerie New York/Old London landscape was perfect.
Old 01-18-08, 07:19 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
I still laugh when I think of Dr. Bill flashing his medical license like a policeman's badge in order to gain access all over the place.
Old 01-18-08, 07:26 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

funny you started this thread... i just bought the Blu-Ray disc last week. I definitely like this movie. It really takes an interesting take on marriage. I love the build up. The scenes at the orgy/swingers party are done so well.

And i've always been a Cruise fan. He really does well in this movie and portrays a husband battling with the idea of his wife having such elaborate fantasies with another man...

I have to wonder how i would respond to that if it happened to me.

-NiCK
Old 01-18-08, 08:29 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I think it's a great film.

When I watched it again recently I couldn't help but think how bad Kubrick portrays women in his films especially Eyes Wide Shut. Bill is played out so innocently there's no hint ever that he would ever cheat on her until she tells him the sailor story. It's Alice's fault that Bill seeks out a prostitute and ends up at the party.

In A Clockwork Orange, the attempted gang-bang rape is highlighted by showing glorious full frontal nudity set in slow motion.

Kubrick may appear to be honoring women by showing them at their most vulnerable but I think it comes off more exploitive than anything else.
Old 01-18-08, 09:10 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Waiting for that guy who posts on here who has that mindfuck analysis of this movie to show up

Repost it!
Old 01-18-08, 09:40 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by jessecrx
Waiting for that guy who posts on here who has that mindfuck analysis of this movie to show up

Repost it!
It wasn't me, but I did a search and I think I found what you are looking for:

Originally Posted by rennervision
I'm a big Kubrick fan, and the first time I saw this I was disappointed. (I even got the distinct impression that it was actually unfinished, and the studio's claim that Kubrick died shortly after editing it was bogus to save the picture's reputation.) But then a funny thing happened. I realized there were little details about the movie that kept bugging me. There was a secret just beneath the surface of the film that I was trying to grasp and it kept eluding me.

So I watched it again. And again. And like other Kubrick films, I started to appreciate it more and more after multiple viewings. There are things in this movie that seem too intentional for me to think I am overanalyzing it. Here's a few things that I rarely see anyone mention (if ever):

First of all, the girl that rescues Tom Cruise at the orgy is absolutely, positively NOT the girl who OD'ed earlier at the party. At the orgy it appears Sydney Pollack is with that girl, and he even nods momentarily at Cruise as if he recognizes him. (I don't believe it can be explained how he recognizes him, since this is a surreal film that takes place in a "dream reality." Dreams don't always make perfect sense, and here is one example of where that happens. It also explains how the movie feels like it covers more time than just one night - again, everything is taking place in "dream time.")

Anyways, there is a scene where you can clearly see Pollack is trying to get his partner (who I believe to be the OD chick) to approach Cruise and question him. However, before they can reach him, Cruise is quickly taken away by a different girl whose identity remains a mystery. (As a matter of fact, she's even played by a different actress if you pay attention to the credits.)

So if the mystery girl who takes Cruise away is not the same one he later finds dead at the morgue - who is she?

I don't have a definite answer, but there are certainly some interesting clues elsewhere in the movie that seem too deliberate to be coincidental. First of all, there's the opening shot of the film. Nicole Kidman drops her dress off her body in a scene that does not fit with the continuity of the rest of the film. But what's more interesting is this seems eerily similar to the same angled shot of the women in the orgy dropping their cloaks. Why would Kubrick choose this seemingly out-of-place moment as the opening shot of the movie unless he was trying to send a clue?

The party Cruise and Kidman go to gives me another strange vibe. There's no way to prove this, but I get the distinct impression from watching it that almost everyone in that party later puts on masks and participates in the orgy. There's even a brief comment about how they're not sure why they keep getting invited to these things, since they don't know anyone here. (Or do they?)

Then there's the scene after the party where Cruise and Kidman are together. She's looking in the mirror while the soundtrack plays "Baby Did a Bad Bad Thing" and that look on her face gives me the creeps. What did she do that was so "bad"?

And there are other clues as well. Kidman has a dream similar to the orgy. She also somehow acquires Cruise's mask (which appears to have been left at the party). I know what everyone is thinking at this point. If I'm implying Kidman was the mystery woman, that would be logistically impossible since she was at home with their daughter. I realize that - but again, this movie takes place in a surreal "dream reality."

Perhaps the mystery woman isn't anyone we meet elsewhere in the film, but then it wouldn't make much sense why she was so concerned about Cruise's safety. Anyone you mention in the film could have 10 logical explanations as to why she couldn't possibly be the mystery woman. But one thing I know for sure, she is most certainly NOT the OD chick that everyone thinks she is.
Old 01-18-08, 09:43 PM

I thought the movie was ludicrous, starting with the idea of Tom Cruise as a primary care physician......

but Nicole Kidman made it worth watching. Leelee was good too. And Vinessa Shaw, who played the hooker.

Couldn't save the film. But then I don't think Kubrick was really finished with it.
Old 01-18-08, 09:54 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Location: Rainy ass Seattle yes the weather sucks here, so do our sports teams.
Not a big Kubrick fan, but I did like this movie a lot.
Old 01-18-08, 10:16 PM

Received 61 Likes on 39 Posts
This is an awesome movie. So many unanswered questions, which really worked for the film.
Old 01-19-08, 04:17 AM

Not a big fan of either Cruise or Kidman, but it's one of the greatest Kubrick films. Tells a lot about nature of men and women and their relations. Very lifelike and truthful. I think it was not a coinsidence Cruise and Kidman got divorced right after EWS.
Old 01-19-08, 09:44 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Wasn't there some sort of story going around that the filmmakers had trouble getting Tom & Nicole to even be intimate with one another?
Old 01-19-08, 11:56 AM

Originally Posted by jessecrx

Repost it!

Here you go

http://www.ellisctaylor.com/eyeswideshut.html

http://kentroversypapers.blogspot.co...symbolism.html

http://www.konformist.com/flicks/eyeswideshut.htm
Old 01-19-08, 12:01 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 191 Likes on 128 Posts
People have been talking about this movie a lot lately. If you didn't know any better you would think it was just released in theaters. OVe the past couple of months I've honestly heard this film being discussed by mulitple people - weird stuff.

I really liked it (only saw it once) and with all this talk on it, I'm going to be watching it again soon.
Old 01-19-08, 01:45 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 220 Likes on 176 Posts
I hated this movie the first time I saw it. Over the years, though, I've started to like it more and more. Strangely, it's one of the few movies I've revisited, even though I originally detested it.
Old 01-19-08, 02:19 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 201 Likes on 134 Posts
I really love EWS. The mood of it is just perfect, and I love the pacing, which is very deliberate and menacing.

I've always been a vocal supporter of the film with those I know, even though most people I've asked didn't like it.
Old 01-19-08, 03:52 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 216 Likes on 155 Posts
Originally Posted by PopcornTreeCt
Kubrick may appear to be honoring women by showing them at their most vulnerable but I think it comes off more exploitive than anything else.
Yeah, every woman is pretty much perfect in the looks dept as well... my video instructor at the time said he thought they should have a separate award category for it, "Best Lighting of Breasts."

I had to laugh at the scene near the beginning of A:I, when the inventor instructs the woman to undress...Spielberg just has her unbutton her top a little bit... if it were Kubrick you know she would've been naked in a second.

Last edited by Artman; 01-20-08 at 04:45 PM.
Old 01-19-08, 04:16 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
like all Kubrick movies it's SLOW and lasts forever, but it's one of the better ones

Spartacus was OK but was way too long and went way too slow waiting for the final battle. Full Metal Jacket was great with good pacing. Dr. Strangelove was good but a little slow. 2001 you have to be on LSD to watch. sometimes you have to check the DVD player with his movies because you don't know if the black screen with the music is his doing or your DVD player broke
Old 01-19-08, 09:04 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 182 Likes on 120 Posts
I think that EWS is a masterpiece and is one of Kubrick's best films.
It has an almost dream like quality and it shows one man's descent into hell because he could not deal with the fact that his wife had thoughts about being unfaithful.
Old 01-20-08, 12:31 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 191 Likes on 128 Posts
Originally Posted by Giggles
Not a big fan of either Cruise or Kidman, but it's one of the greatest Kubrick films. Tells a lot about nature of men and women and their relations. Very lifelike and truthful. I think it was not a coinsidence Cruise and Kidman got divorced right after EWS.
Missed this post the first time around. This is why I liked it so much. For men, I think It's safe to say that a good percentage of us have gone through being cheated on in one form or antoher. As far as my opinion goes, you tend to miss the very first time it ever happened to you (even if it only happened once) because of the feelings it gave you. To explain a little better, you get angred, maybe even jealous but when it's all over you can't help thinking about how meaningless it all was and why you stuck around as long as you did but you do know you had a weird feeling of being on the outside the whole time you were with that person - maybe you even cheated yourself.

Either way, It brings a very strange feeling over you emotions that kinda makes you want to stick around - even if you truly don't even care it's like you're drawn to your signifcant others blatant stupid actions and of course, you never really put up with that shit when it comes to any relationships thereafter.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.