Amazon Blu Ray 48%-53% off sale

Community
Search
DVD Bargains Post and Discuss DVD Related Bargains including DVD Clubs

Amazon Blu Ray 48%-53% off sale

Search this Thread

Old 01-18-08, 01:31 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Amazon Blu Ray 48%-53% off sale (started Jan 18th)

Two seperate links for 2 sections of the sale:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/feature.htm...rd_i=193640011

http://www.amazon.com/gp/feature.htm...83011&plpage=1

Some decent stuff ...maybe worth a look until the next B1G1F happens..

Last edited by VAMPYRE XX; 01-18-08 at 01:45 PM.
Old 01-18-08, 03:00 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Thanks for the post. I don't need any of these titles, but I should be able to get a $3.96 price adjustment for Purple Rain.
Old 01-18-08, 03:34 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 63 Likes on 51 Posts
Thanks for the heads up.
Sale prices are slowly creeping up. Hope it is not a sign of the future.
Old 01-18-08, 04:07 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Classic Films
The sale prices are what the titles should be priced at anyway (in my opinion).
Old 01-18-08, 04:59 PM

Originally Posted by abintra
Yes, I agree, but for right now with a relatively new higher end format, these are the best prices we are going to find... and they are much better than Best Buy or Circuit City prices are at the moment. The B1G1F Amazon deals are the better ones to wait for....but.... for someone who has just set up their new home theater and upgraded to a Hi Def/Blu Ray player this may be a good choice because they are of course itching to get some titles to utilize their new purchase and experience it in all it's 1080p glory...
We are in a transitional stage of this Hi Def revolution. So hopefully if we make enough purchases, it will encourage the industry to lower the prices and they will sell more. This same thing happened with regular DVD's.. Not too long ago I remember paying $24.99 for regular DVDs...then it took a few years, but $4.99 each sales are quite common at CC and BB...(and even cheaper during the holidays/black friday)
High Def/Blu Ray Rocks! = Spoiled Rotten
Old 01-18-08, 05:05 PM

The only thing I am more mad about is: It does suck to have to rebuy your favorite movies because you want them in Hi Def. Hopefully Blu-Ray and HD-DVD will be the only high end format for awhile.
Old 01-18-08, 05:10 PM

Wow, they've got about half as many titles left from when I ordered a week ago.
Old 01-18-08, 06:13 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by Classic Films
Thanks for the heads up.
Yeah, I'm not paying $16 for movies I was paying $8 for last year. Figured the end of the war would also be the end of the good prices. Problem is they spoiled me so bad in 2007 that I have no intention of paying that much for catalog titles in 2008. Looks like my buying is going back to a few must haves only. Thankfully I stocked up on most of the ones I wanted during last years B1G1s.

I honestly don't think they will find success with the catalog titles until they cut the MSRP to $14.99. If many of these sell regularly for $5 on DVD you are going to have a hard time getting people to buy them with $28.99 MSRPs.

Last edited by darkside; 01-18-08 at 06:17 PM.
Old 01-18-08, 06:17 PM
Cool New Member

Originally Posted by VAMPYRE XX
The only thing I am more mad about is: It does suck to have to rebuy your favorite movies because you want them in Hi Def. Hopefully Blu-Ray and HD-DVD will be the only high end format for awhile.
No it won't. Sony already has 2160p ready and will unleash it once you give them all your money, again. They're screwing the general public and people like it, ask for more.
Old 01-18-08, 06:18 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Lenny Nero
No it won't. Sony already has 2160p ready and will unleash it once you give them all your money, again. They're screwing the general public and people like it, ask for more.
4K is next, but honestly I don't see it being much of a factor. TV channels have no intention of broadcasting in it and it would take another huge leap in disc technology to fit a 4K encoded movie on a disc. 1080p is the sweet spot for HD and will probably be the standard for our lifetimes.
Old 01-18-08, 08:26 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 913 Likes on 648 Posts
Originally Posted by abintra
Less than that. Other than Pirates 3, Ratatouille, Meet the Robinsons and Lost out of all these titles, including the HD list, none are newer than 2006. These are all catalog titles that should retail for $10 at best.

Originally Posted by darkside
I honestly don't think they will find success with the catalog titles until they cut the MSRP to $14.99. If many of these sell regularly for $5 on DVD you are going to have a hard time getting people to buy them with $28.99 MSRPs.
Exactly. It's very frustrating.

Last edited by Michael Corvin; 01-18-08 at 08:28 PM.
Old 01-18-08, 10:01 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 289 Likes on 214 Posts
4K is next, but honestly I don't see it being much of a factor. TV channels have no intention of broadcasting in it and it would take another huge leap in disc technology to fit a 4K encoded movie on a disc. 1080p is the sweet spot for HD and will probably be the standard for our lifetimes.
1080p will be another spec which is "old" in only a few years. 2,560 x 1,440 is probably the next step. Or 1440p.
Old 01-18-08, 10:34 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by DVD Polizei
1080p will be another spec which is "old" in only a few years. 2,560 x 1,440 is probably the next step. Or 1440p.
It's a good thing that Blu-ray is an evolving specification, then, and not locked into soon-to-be obsolete resolutions like HD.

Old 01-19-08, 03:05 AM
Cool New Member

I just ordered The Searchers 3 days ago, received it today. Had to email for a price adjustment!
Old 01-19-08, 08:17 AM

Originally Posted by Peep
It's a good thing that Blu-ray is an evolving specification, then, and not locked into soon-to-be obsolete resolutions like HD.

How is that good?! Anyone who bought the original Blu-Ray players is now out of luck as they are obsolete and can't play the new 1.1 and 2.0 discs. (At least the PS3 is a little more future-proofed than some of the stand-alones.)
Old 01-19-08, 10:13 AM
DVD Talk Legend

TV is not going to broadcast in anything above 1080i so there is not going to be much of a rush for consumers to go anything above 1080p TVs. Also, BD has struggled so I don't think you will see anyone launching a new disc format.
Old 01-19-08, 10:53 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I expect that we will see displays that are 1440p in the fairly near future. Then our 1080i broadcasts and 1080p discs will just be upscaled to that screen resolution. But a new 1440p high def medium — whether discs, chips, or whatever — seems unlikely for the foreseeable future. Anyway, by then downloads will have taken over from HDM for most people.
Old 01-19-08, 04:18 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by kyle
How is that good?! Anyone who bought the original Blu-Ray players is now out of luck as they are obsolete and can't play the new 1.1 and 2.0 discs. (At least the PS3 is a little more future-proofed than some of the stand-alones.)
Um, my original blu-ray players play the 1.1 discs just fine, as will the 2.0. The only thing they won't play is the PIP.
Old 01-19-08, 04:28 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 289 Likes on 214 Posts
TV is not going to broadcast in anything above 1080i so there is not going to be much of a rush for consumers to go anything above 1080p TVs. Also, BD has struggled so I don't think you will see anyone launching a new disc format.
BD is struggling because of its own doing. Produce a format where there is not such a massive effort to control it, and instead, open it to anyone who wants to put their movie content on it--thereby mass producing it so costs are naturally low, and you'll have more success.

It's unwise to think we've come all this way in technology, just to call it quits at 1080p. If our society wills it, it will be a reality.
Old 01-19-08, 05:15 PM
Suspended

Received 101 Likes on 87 Posts
Originally Posted by matome
Um, my original blu-ray players play the 1.1 discs just fine, as will the 2.0. The only thing they won't play is the PIP.
Which player would that be?
Old 01-19-08, 05:53 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

FWIW, in my infinite wisdom, I expect that deep-color (48-bit color) will be the next step up before, or at least coincident with, any increase in resolution. HDMI 1.3a already defines the protocol. All it will take is new media format (blu-ray profile 2.0 perhaps?) to implement it and equipment to make best use of it.
Old 01-19-08, 06:37 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

BD is struggling because of its own doing. Produce a format where there is not such a massive effort to control it, and instead, open it to anyone who wants to put their movie content on it--thereby mass producing it so costs are naturally low, and you'll have more success.
Just out of curiousity, which studio is not being allowed to put movie content on Blu-ray? I'm just curious if what you ever say has any basis in fact or if you are just trying to store up yet another Blu-ray vs HD argument.
Old 01-19-08, 08:42 PM

Originally Posted by Peep
Just out of curiousity, which studio is not being allowed to put movie content on Blu-ray? I'm just curious if what you ever say has any basis in fact or if you are just trying to store up yet another Blu-ray vs HD argument.
There were/are a number of adult entertainment studios that reported they had great difficulty securing Blu-ray replication for their content. (This was apparently because some BD plants refuse to press adult content.)
Old 01-19-08, 10:07 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by obispo21
There were/are a number of adult entertainment studios that reported they had great difficulty securing Blu-ray replication for their content. (This was apparently because some BD plants refuse to press adult content.)
I'm sure that not what Mr HD Polizei was talking about. That would be a drop in the bucket in the greater scheme of things.
Old 01-19-08, 10:50 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 309 Likes on 231 Posts

It's unwise to think we've come all this way in technology, just to call it quits at 1080p. If our society wills it, it will be a reality.
Well, some of the same people who say that they will continue to push technology to higher resolutions are some of the people that say that the majority of the public is fine with SD and not really wanting to go HD (Blu-Ray). It is either one way or the other as people either want the higher resolutions or they don't. I am suspecting that there will be better resolutions in the future but I also believe that the majority of the public wants or will want HD media and is willing to get it on Blu-Ray. It has been funny to read over the past few weeks how HD is no longer really that "Big of an improvement" once Warner's decision became public. There are some that went from praising HD to saying "Meh" about it shortly after the shit hit the fan.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.