Community
Search
DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

Criterion in April ?

Search this Thread

Old 01-15-08, 07:35 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Criterion in April ?

Two screenshots have been dug up from Criterion's site (using the spine numbers "247" and "248"), and have been identified as The Death of a Cyclist and Blast of Silence, respectively.

No specs, art or any other further information available, but I think I'm in for Death of a Cyclist. I missed it on its theatrical re-run, and classic Spanish cinema has yet to fail me. Blast of Silence depends on the final specs.

Blast of Silence image -

Death of a Cyclist image -
Old 01-15-08, 07:57 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Here are some imdb links:

Death of a Cyclist

Blast of Silence
Old 01-16-08, 01:51 AM

BLAST OF SILENCE. Holyfuckingshit.
Old 01-16-08, 04:14 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Death of a Cyclist
directed by Juan Antonio Bardem - 1955 - $29.95 MSRP

Synopsis

Upper-class geometry professor Juan and his wealthy married mistress Maria José, driving back from a late-night rendezvous, accidentally hit a cyclist, and run. The resulting, exquisitely shot tale of guilt, infidelity, and blackmail reveals the wide gap between the rich and the poor in Spain, and surveys the corrupt ethics of a society seduced by decadence. Juan Antonio Bardem's charged melodrama Death of a Cyclist (Muerte de un ciclista) was a direct attack on 1950s Spanish society under Franco’s rule. Though it was ultimately affected by the dictates of censorship, the film's sting could never be dulled.

Special Features

* - New, restored high-definition digital transfer
* - Calle Bardem (2005), a documentary on the revolutionary life and career of director Juan Antonio Bardem
* - Theatrical trailer
* - New and improved English subtitle translation
* - PLUS: A booklet featuring a new essay by scholar Marsha Kinder and a 1955 essay by Bardem on Spanish cinema

Blast of Silence
directed by Allen Baron - 1961 - $29.95 MSRP

Synopsis

Swift, brutal, and black-hearted, Allen Baron's New York City noir Blast of Silence is a sensational surprise. This low-budget, carefully crafted portrait of a hit man on assignment in Manhattan during Christmastime follows its stripped-down narrative with mechanical precision, yet also with an eye and ear for the oddball idiosyncrasies of urban living and the imposing beauty of the city's locations. At once visually ragged and artfully composed, and featuring rough, poetic narration by Lionel Stander, Blast of Silence is a stylish triumph.

Special Features

* - DIRECTOR-APPROVED SPECIAL EDITION FEATURES:
* - New, restored digital transfer
* - Requiem for a Killer: The Making of “Blast of Silence” (2007)
* - Rare on-set Polaroids
* - Locations revisited in 2008
* - Trailer
* - PLUS: An essay by film critic Terrence Rafferty and a four-page graphic-novel adaptation of the film by award-winning artist Sean Phillips (Criminal, Sleeper, Batman: Jekyll & Hyde)
Old 01-16-08, 04:23 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Geist
BLAST OF SILENCE. Holyfuckingshit.
Yeah, times a million.

Heck, I'm even excited about Death of a Cyclist. I'll be picking both of these up for sure.

Last edited by Brent L; 01-16-08 at 04:29 PM.
Old 01-16-08, 04:28 PM

Both look like buys to me.
Old 01-16-08, 06:16 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 71 Likes on 51 Posts
I'm surprised no one has mentioned the new Eclipse yet.....

Silent Ozu for those who are wondering.

Criterion is on a roll so far this year.

Last edited by Neil M.; 01-16-08 at 06:28 PM.
Old 01-16-08, 08:42 PM

Its a lull month, for the most part (not that it is uninteresting), but...the Eclipse set gives it a bit of an edge. It is, however, a bit of a shame that Criterion's first dip into Ozu's silent work is A.) Indicating that Ozu’s silent films will not likely receive much in the way of supplements, as his first two Kinema Jumpo winning films; as well as his most widely seen pre-Late Spring film, are in an Eclipse set, and B.) That this is such a meager first dip. So many of Ozu’s surviving silents are still out there.

Days of Youth
That Night’s Wife
Walk Cheerfully
I Flunked, But...
The Lady and the Beard
Where Are the Dreams of Youth?
Woman of Tokyo
Dragnet Girl
A Mother Should Be Loved
An Inn in Tokyo
College Is a Nice Place

...not to mention surviving fragments/shorts. I expect that Criterion may try to release a box of Ozu’s gangster films (That Night’s Wife, Walk Cheerfully, Dragnet Girl?), and/or a box of social dramas. That’s still a lot of films.
Old 01-16-08, 09:03 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

The Ozu set has a subtitle which makes me think it's the first of many.
Old 01-17-08, 04:25 AM

That's true. I don't want to be too heavy a complainer about this; I am very pleased to finally get to see more Ozu silents, and these seem to be the best of the bunch. And to get a second Ozu set only ten months after the first one should be enough of a treat.
Old 01-17-08, 09:06 AM

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts
the release of 'Death of a Cyclist' isn't really a surprise since it was featured in last year's Janus Film Showcase in NYC and DC (AFI Silver)
Old 01-17-08, 01:59 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Death of a Cyclist is a must buy for me. I am unsure about the second entry...perhaps a rental would make it obvious (I like the cover though).

Pro-B
Old 01-17-08, 02:05 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Blast of Silence is fantastic.

Thanks Criterion
Old 01-17-08, 06:24 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Arggg...I just bought the German R2 of Blast of Silence last month. Looks like the commentary track isn't ported over though. Fans of Dementia, Detour or Carnival of Souls take note. Blast of Silence is like a tough, cheap 60's Fuller movie (circa Shock Corridor and Naked Kiss), with a voice over that almost plays like a parody of a hard boiled Mickey Spillane paperback, and a bit of Ed Wood thrown in. Here are the rest of the month's titles, courtesy of DVDBeaver:

The Red Balloon (Albert Lamorisse, 1956)
The White Man (Albert Lamorisse, 1953)
Paddle to the Sea (Bill Mason, 1966)
Eclipse 10 - Silent Ozu (I Was Born But..., Passing Fancy, Tokyo Chorus)

Last edited by NoirFan; 01-17-08 at 06:30 PM.
Old 01-17-08, 06:31 PM
Banned

More Criterion titles for April, each priced at $14.95. From the Criterion press release:

THE RED BALLOON
Newly restored and available for the first time on DVD, Albert Lamorisse’s exquisite The Red Balloon remains one of the most beloved children’s films of all time. In this deceptively simple, nearly wordless tale, a young boy discovers a stray balloon, which seems to have a mind of its own, on the streets of Paris. The two become inseparable, yet the world’s harsh realities finally interfere. With its glorious palette and allegorical purity, the Academy Award–winning The Red Balloon has enchanted movie lovers, young and old, for generations.

Title: The Red Balloon
CAT: CC1746D
UPC: 7-15515-02882-0
ISBN: 978-1-60465-030-3
SRP: $14.95
Prebook: 3/25/08
Street date: 4/29/08

WHITE MANE
In the south of France, in a near-desert region called La Camargue, lives White Mane, a magnificent stallion and the leader of a herd of wild horses too proud to let themselves be broken in by humans. Only Folco, a young fisherman, manages to tame him. A strong friendship grows between the boy and the horse, as the two go looking for the freedom that the world of men won’t allow them. Long unavailable in the U.S., this extraordinarily shot wonder from Albert Lamorisse, the director of The Red Balloon, is a work of technical sophistication and immense natural beauty.

Title: White Mane
CAT: CC1747D
UPC: 7-15515-02892-9
ISBN: 978-1-60465-031-0

PADDLE TO THE SEA
Based on Holling C. Holling’s beloved Caldecott-awarded children’s book, William Mason’s stunning film follows the adventures of a tiny, wood-carved canoe as it forges its own path from Lake Superior through the Great Lakes and down to the Atlantic Ocean. Buoyed by beautiful photography and a sense of true wonder about the sun, Earth, and water, the Academy Award–nominated Paddle to the Sea is an unforgettable tribute to the forces of the natural world, as well as a thrilling journey across the waves and rapids of North America.

Title: Paddle to the Sea
CAT: CC1748D
UPC: 7-15515-02902-5
ISBN: 978-1-60465-032-7
All this info was taken from criterionforum.org, posted by our good member tavernier.

http://www.criterionforum.org/forum/...r=asc&start=25
Old 01-17-08, 06:51 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by NoirFan
Arggg...I just bought the German R2 of Blast of Silence last month. Looks like the commentary track isn't ported over though. Fans of Dementia, Detour or Carnival of Souls take note. Blast of Silence is like a tough, cheap 60's Fuller movie (circa Shock Corridor and Naked Kiss), with a voice over that almost plays like a parody of a hard boiled Mickey Spillane paperback, and a bit of Ed Wood thrown in.
Strange that the MK2 documentary would be included but not the commentary from the German disc. I'll get it for the new (and please please not unnecessarily window-boxed) transfer and the locations featurette, but I'd have to say I'm underwhelmed at the listed extras.
Old 01-17-08, 07:14 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

They should have thrown in some more family films and made it an eclipse set. I doubt there will be any extras so this would be a prime candidate for that series. Criterion gets on a roll and then does something completely out of the ordinary. I'm not against releasing these but with so many movies that deserve the full criterion treatment, why release these ones individually under the Criterion label?

I guess I should wait until the actual announcement before I complain some more.
Old 01-17-08, 08:35 PM
Banned

The Red Balloon! Awesome.
Old 01-17-08, 08:44 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Very happy to see the Red Balloon and White Mane on the slate. Paddle sounds pretty nice, too, and for those prices I'll likely pick up all three.

...Actually, I'd like to know if these will be the dubbed or subtitled versions of Balloon and Mane. I believe the theatrical re-releases were dubbed, and it'll be rather unfortunate if they don't offer up both versions on the discs.

Last edited by Cosmic Bus; 01-17-08 at 08:50 PM.
Old 01-18-08, 09:00 PM
DVD Talk Hero

That's awesome to see cheap bare bone releases.
Old 01-18-08, 09:21 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Originally Posted by PopcornTreeCt
Death of a Cyclist
directed by Juan Antonio Bardem - 1955 - $29.95 MSRP

Synopsis

Upper-class geometry professor Juan and his wealthy married mistress Maria José, driving back from a late-night rendezvous, accidentally hit a cyclist, and run. The resulting, exquisitely shot tale of guilt, infidelity, and blackmail reveals the wide gap between the rich and the poor in Spain, and surveys the corrupt ethics of a society seduced by decadence. Juan Antonio Bardem's charged melodrama Death of a Cyclist (Muerte de un ciclista) was a direct attack on 1950s Spanish society under Franco’s rule. Though it was ultimately affected by the dictates of censorship, the film's sting could never be dulled.

Hmmm...wonder if this was the inspiration for http://www.dvdtalk.com/reviews/read.php?ID=19848
Old 01-19-08, 05:39 AM

From what I'm reading Blast of Silence and Death of a Cyclist looks to be great blind buys.
Old 01-19-08, 10:05 AM

Originally Posted by Cosmic Bus
Very happy to see the Red Balloon and White Mane on the slate. Paddle sounds pretty nice, too, and for those prices I'll likely pick up all three.

...Actually, I'd like to know if these will be the dubbed or subtitled versions of Balloon and Mane. I believe the theatrical re-releases were dubbed, and it'll be rather unfortunate if they don't offer up both versions on the discs.
The Criterion release of Forbidden Games had a dub and French track, I would expect the same treatment here.
Old 01-19-08, 12:11 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 182 Likes on 120 Posts
Originally Posted by mikelowry
From what I'm reading Blast of Silence and Death of a Cyclist looks to be great blind buys.
Old 02-15-08, 02:47 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Just a heads up for those who preordered white mane and red balloon...

According to the criterion blog, These two will be released in the fall as full-blown special editions with spine numbers. So you might want to cancel those preorders, unless you want to double dip.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.