Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

EL CID (Digital HD presentation) AFI Silver Theatre: Jan. 28

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Search this Thread

Old 01-15-08, 12:37 PM

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

Just a head's up for all in the DC/MD/VA area that El Cid will be shown in High Definition (DLP) at the AFI Silver Theatre Monday Jan. 28th at 7pm. Now before you balk, past HD presentations I've seen at the Silver: Midnight Movies: From the Margin to the Mainstream and Sharkwater have looked gorgeous and are comparable to 35mm on the large screen.

'El Cid' (AFI)
Old 01-17-08, 08:09 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Giles, Looks like my wife and I will be at El Cid. I look forward to meeting you in the flesh.
Old 01-17-08, 08:19 AM
Suspended

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
(copied from another thread: )

Ye, Gods!

I just saw this on the AFI Silver Theater site ( http://www.afi.com/silver/new/nowpla...nts.aspx#elcid ):

Film legends Sophia Loren and Charlton Heston ignite the screen in this medieval tale of passion and chivalry. Heston plays the heroic Spanish knight, Rodrigo Diaz de Vivar, or, to his followers, "El Cid" - Moorish for "one who is both compassionate and a great warrior." Without compromising his strict sense of honor, he succeeds in driving the Moors from Spain and becomes a legend. Loren plays the mysterious Chimene, a Moorish princess torn between her desire for revenge against Heston -whom she blames for her father's death- and her developing love for him. Directed by the great Anthony Mann.
It is very, very sad when people responsible for a cultural institution can get things so wrong and pull such a boner. For the record, Chimene is not Moorish, nor a princess. She is the daughter of the King of Spain's champion, Count Gormaz.

Rodrigo had liberal ideas about Muslims but he wasn't that liberal. I have written the website asking for a correction.

Last edited by baracine; 01-17-08 at 08:48 AM.
Old 01-17-08, 08:23 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Just purchased tickets. Thanks again for the heads up Giles. See you there.
Old 01-23-08, 10:03 AM

for those in the LA area, El Cid is also playing at the Arclight next Monday as well. No word if it's an actual 35mm print or a DLP presentation.

El Cid - Arclight
Old 01-28-08, 09:24 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Just wanted to bump this for tonight's showing.
Old 01-29-08, 10:24 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Well the showing was a huge disappointment for me. The image looked terrible. For anyone that was there, my wife and I were the couple sitting front row center that left 5 minutes into the film. I'm sorry I didn't get to meet anyone from here in the flesh. Anybody else have comments about the quality of the image, either good or bad?

Last edited by Yakuza Bengoshi; 01-29-08 at 10:26 AM.
Old 01-29-08, 11:04 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Yes, the left side of the screen seemed very out of focus (diffused?). The right side was fine, but the contrast between the two was mind numbing. My wife and I left after the first joust scene because she was getting a headache. We were sitting near the front on the left side.

I asked the program coordinator what the problem was, but I honestly don't think he knew. He wasn't sure if it was a macro problem with the projection, the tape that they received or something else. I felt kinda bad for him because I'm sure there must have been a lot of complaints after we left. As he gave us passes he said we were numbers 6 and 7 so far.

Its a shame, because it was my first experience at the AFI Silver and it was nice up until the movie started - a one night event with film critic introduction, the Weinstein partner appearance, the dvd giveaway (which I didn't win) and the program.

Definitely not a good way to kick off Weinstein's dvd promotions with AFI (supposedly, the first of many) and an awkward night for all involved, I'm sure.
Old 02-04-08, 10:17 AM

aw man and I feel terrible that I mentioned it here on DVD (Movie) Talk... and the fact that I was too sick to even attend the film anyway.... so I can't comment on the image problem. I can't believe that the Weinstein's would send a tape and not the presentation on hard drive - of the very few films I've seen on their DLP system or even the Beta DV films during SilverDocs, this sounds like the worse presentation bar none. Anyone in the LA area want to comment on the presentation at the Arclight???