Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Movie Series' that were never completed

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Search this Thread

Old 01-14-08, 03:45 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I just finished watching Eragon and since this did squat at the B.O. I doubt a sequel is coming yet it's open for a sequel, so how many Big films that were suppose to start a franchise never develop? I know The Golden Compass will probally join this and I believe Riddick was suppose to be the beginning of a new trilogy
Old 01-14-08, 03:47 PM

Should I just come out and say Serenity?

(I don't want to. There's still hope...haha)
Old 01-14-08, 03:53 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I was just wanting to say:

How can you go from something so cool as 'Pitch Black' to something as gawd awful as ' Riddick' ?

I cant believe Judi Dench did this movie... Just goes to show how good this could be with Karl Urban in it.
Old 01-14-08, 03:58 PM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts
Bakshi's Lord of the Rings.

History of the World
Old 01-14-08, 04:01 PM
Banned

Lost in Space (The film obviously set up a sequel which will never happen)
Evolution also seemed to be asking for a sequel but it bombed so it wasn't gonna happen of course.
Grindhouse certainly wont be getting all those cool sequels they talked about.
Old 01-14-08, 04:02 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Blair Witch
Old 01-14-08, 04:08 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Still waiting for Leonard, Parts 1-5.
Old 01-14-08, 04:14 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts
Eragon was not a good movie (it seemed like the Bionic Woman of movies, rushed and a bit all over the place), but it makes it seem even worse due to the unfinished nature of it all.

People sometimes talk about Unbreakable having sequels, not sure how firm that really was, however.
Old 01-14-08, 04:16 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Remo Williams: The Adventure Begins ... I'm not familiar with it beyond thinking that it was set up as a series, but there weren't any more, were there?

A couple of lesser known examples:

Captain Kronos: Vampire Hunter. On the DVD commentary, they talk about how they hoped that this would be a series, but the movie is self contained. They set up elaborate copyrights for all of the characters, etc., anticipating marketing spinoffs and sequels that never materialized. The Kronos character is good enough, and I enjoyed the movie much more than what little I've seen of Van Helsing to cite one movie that was somewhat similar.

The Italian Job (1969). Another one that the producers wanted to be a series, and to put an exclamation point on the idea ended the movie with
Spoiler:
a literal cliff hanger - the hero is stranded on a bus hanging over a cliff, with no resolution as to how or if he escaped
Old 01-14-08, 04:26 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 75 Likes on 64 Posts
Originally Posted by JJE-187
I just finished watching Eragon and since this did squat at the B.O. I doubt a sequel is coming yet it's open for a sequel, so how many Big films that were suppose to start a franchise never develop? I know The Golden Compass will probally join this and I believe Riddick was suppose to be the beginning of a new trilogy
Worldwide Gross $364,166,000

they definately made enough money back to make a sequel.
Old 01-14-08, 04:30 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 46 Likes on 36 Posts
I always thought the Dennis Quaid/Martin Short sci-fi comedy Innerspace set itself up for a sequel. (But the ending could also be easily taken as a joke. Sort of like Back to the Future, before they decided to write a Part II.)

Probably my biggest gripe was the way they ended Interview with the Vampire. Why the heck would you end the freakin' movie like THAT if you weren't planning on a sequel?
Old 01-14-08, 04:32 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by mhg83
Worldwide Gross $364,166,000

they definitely made enough money back to make a sequel.
Yeah but it'll be Direct-to-DVD here in the States right around the time Alvin and the Chipmunks 2 gets a 4000+ screen rollout because here in the U.S. we only see the good family films.
Old 01-14-08, 04:52 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 728 Likes on 532 Posts
Sword and the Sorcerer
Old 01-14-08, 05:17 PM

Originally Posted by chris_sc77
Grindhouse certainly wont be getting all those cool sequels they talked about.
Death Proof II: Stuntman Mike's Revenge

Left for dead with a partially crushed head, Stuntman Mike is taken to the hospital by a good samaritan. After waking from a two year coma and undergoing months of rehab, Mike sets out for revenge against Abernathy, Kim and Zoë.

Last edited by Barry Woodward; 01-14-08 at 05:20 PM.
Old 01-14-08, 05:19 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 480 Likes on 352 Posts
The Rocketeer - Great movie (for what it was), and it did OK (for the time) at the box office, but not good enough to get the sequel made.
Old 01-14-08, 05:32 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 46 Likes on 36 Posts
Originally Posted by Barry Woodward
Death Proof II: Stuntman Mike's Revenge

Left for dead with a partially crushed head, Stuntman Mike is taken to the hospital by a good samaritan. After waking from a two year coma and undergoing months of rehab, Mike sets out for revenge against Abernathy, Kim and Zoë.
*obligatory post in Death Proof conversation*: The second half of Death Proof takes place before the first half.

(No I don't really believe that, in case you're wondering.)
Old 01-14-08, 05:48 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by B5Erik
The Rocketeer - Great movie (for what it was), and it did OK (for the time) at the box office, but not good enough to get the sequel made.
Man...I'd be so happy if they were to announce a new Rocketeer film. I'd be exstatic just to see a special edition Blu Ray. They wrapped the movie of fairly well so it definitely didn't demand a sequel

One I'd like to see but really doubt it would be the third film in the Gods and Generals and Gettysburg trilogy. The end of Gods and Generals talks about the third part as coming soon but I don't think we will ever see the last part of that trilogy.
Old 01-14-08, 06:20 PM

The Shadow
Old 01-14-08, 06:47 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Master and Commander

Since it was only adapted from Richard O'Brian's novels I can't imagine there isn't any room left to make a more comprehensive series from this, especially considering how the film ended.
Old 01-14-08, 07:09 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Young Sherlock Holmes - the end credits actually set up the sequel!

Masters of the Universe - Skeletor yells at the end of the credits, "I'll be back!" No, no you won't. Though technically the Van Damme movie Cyborg was originally inteded to be the sequel, the film bears no relation, even though some TV stations will still advertise it as MOTU II .

Battlefield Earth - At some 1400 pages, the film-makers decided to film only the first half of L. Ron Hubbard's novel, and the use the second half of the sequel. Rumors abounded for months after the first movie, but the notorious floppage killed this series before it started.

Daredevil - I can assume that they had more than one movie in mind.

Spawn - Ditto.

Ghostbusters - The formula was simple, the laughs were guaranteed, and this series should have made it to a third film, even up until the late 90's. Who you gonna call? Someone else. Oh well, at least the video game will be cool.
Old 01-14-08, 07:15 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Originally Posted by visitor Q
Master and Commander

Since it was only adapted from Richard O'Brian's novels I can't imagine there isn't any room left to make a more comprehensive series from this, especially considering how the film ended.
I would kill to see many more movies made from this series. I'm currently reading book #16 in the series and I've loved every one of them.

Shouldn't The Neverending Story still be going? Fucking false advertising. Seriously though, it is a series that could generate many standalone spinoffs.
Old 01-14-08, 07:38 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
1941 --- When John Belushi says at the end of the movie that "1942" is going to be a big year in the war it brings a tear to my eye.
Old 01-14-08, 07:43 PM

Fantastic Four (1994)

The ending with Dr. Doom leaves it wide open for a sequel. But, I guess when your movie doesn't get released in the first place, a sequel is out of the question.
Old 01-14-08, 07:55 PM

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Unbreakable; didn't they suggest that there would possibly be sequels with superhero Bruce fighting arch-enemy Sam Jackson?
Old 01-14-08, 08:20 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 23 Likes on 11 Posts
Originally Posted by EEz28
Unbreakable; didn't they suggest that there would possibly be sequels with superhero Bruce fighting arch-enemy Sam Jackson?
I was going to mention this too. IIRC, Unbreakable was meant to be a trilogy. I really like Unbreakable and its too bad those sequals will never happen.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.