DVD Talk
FYE: TV on DVD Post-Holiday Blowout [Archive] - DVD Talk Forum

PDA

View Full Version : FYE: TV on DVD Post-Holiday Blowout

bigkid43
01-08-08, 09:41 AM
Just got an e-mail alert on this sale. Some nice prices on the James Bond sets ($29.99 each), Dead Like Me ($18.99 and $16.99), Buffy sets ($16.99), Alien Quadrilogy ($25.99), Sergio Leone Anthology ($38.99).
http://www.fye.com/TV-on-DVD-Post-Holiday-Blowout_stcVVcatId515053VVviewcat.htm?extId=FYE_EML_20080108_CT_Metal

djhmetfan2
01-08-08, 11:29 AM
Is this only online or also in store

mh4268
01-08-08, 12:10 PM
Alien quadrilogy says discontinued.

blued888
01-08-08, 12:59 PM
Alien quadrilogy says discontinued.

Same here :(

akolang2
01-08-08, 02:32 PM
FYE stores are among the worst, in my opinion. I took the online ads there today, and they said they never honor their online prices. looked at the prices and they were more expensive than suncoast. makes me wonder why anybody would ever go to the B&M stores.

scottp120
01-08-08, 03:02 PM
I was going to get In Living Color (all) and ALF (all), but I will not buy edited DVDs.

basaro
01-08-08, 03:19 PM
A little OT, but does anyone know how much Zodiac DC is in-store today? I'm hoping it's on sale or something, at least cheaper than online. I have a $22 GC I want to use.

EDIT: Ah forget it, it's $32.99 or something like that, no thanks!

RustyOrgan
01-08-08, 03:20 PM
In Living Color is edited?

scottp120
01-08-08, 03:32 PM
According to the reviews on Amazon.com, they edited out many skits and changed music (which I really don't care about - but not including all skits is total bs).

jjcool
01-08-08, 05:23 PM
I was going to get In Living Color (all) and ALF (all), but I will not buy edited DVDs.

You do realize that they probably wont ever be released with the stuff that was edited out, put back in, right? So the only way to see them is on old videtapes that you might still have or these "edited" dvd's. I personally think it is awfully silly to not get season sets of shows that you obviously enjoy, because they may be slightly edited. Hell most shows that make it to syndication suffer some sort of editing along the way. But to each his own, i guess.

John Sinnott
01-08-08, 05:50 PM
You do realize that they probably wont ever be released with the stuff that was edited out, put back in, right? So the only way to see them is on old videtapes that you might still have or these "edited" dvd's. I personally think it is awfully silly to not get season sets of shows that you obviously enjoy, because they may be slightly edited. Hell most shows that make it to syndication suffer some sort of editing along the way. But to each his own, i guess.

I can't comment about Scott's motives, but for me it's voting with my wallet. If consumers continue to buy shows that are edited, the studios will continue to release them. If shows that have been altered sell poorly the studios *may* get a clue and start releasing programs the way they originally aired.

And yes, syndicated shows are often edited, sometimes very poorly. But it doesn't cost me any cash to watch them.

cfloyd3
01-08-08, 06:06 PM
Why can't the Altman set be in this like usual so I could get the Renoir and Altman, grrrrrrrrowl.

iconoclasm
01-08-08, 06:10 PM

they used to show this on basic cable, i think FX. I dont know why they would edit their own show(it was originally on FOX). so just watch it on cable

BobO'Link
01-08-08, 06:17 PM
^That, too, is an edited version. Practically all TV programs are edited for syndication following their initial broadcast. This is done to add additional commercial content. Cable shows included (although not by as much as they already have more commercial content then "over-the-air" programs). Most people never notice unless it's something radical (i.e. music on WKRP) so studios and distributors get away with it. Most of us purchase TV on DVD in order to get the unedited version that is *not* shown on TV any longer.

basaro
01-08-08, 07:42 PM
I've held off on In Living Color too because they are edited. I spend my money on shows that are complete. I also have had to hold off on Quantum Leap S2 and on in R1 because of similar reasons. The RIAA sux.

db27
01-08-08, 07:52 PM
Is this only online or also in store

<b>online only, as always they are rarely the same and operated independant of each other</b>

NoirFan
01-08-08, 09:35 PM
Anyone have a free shipping coupon?

rich-y
01-08-08, 09:50 PM
Thanks to the original poster for the thread. I picked up a couple of sets with truly good prices!

Even though I have an FYE very close to me (I live in a downtown area) I usually avoid it because I always feel "cheated" when I go there due to the high prices they charge.

But...

Should they ever change their business model and start to charge only $2 or $3 more than less expensive stores (like WalMart, Best Buy and Circuit City) I would definitely shop there a lot more.

For example: Say the MSRP on a particular DVD is $24.99 and FYE's competitors are selling it for around $14.99 -- If FYE was selling it for $17.99 (without a crappy rebate program) I'd be much more likely to buy from them. PLUS, I'd be more likely to browse their store weekly.

They would be sitting on a goldmine if they did this since more people would shop there and the increased sales volume would provide them with much more profit.

I don't mind paying a little more for convenience, but I'll never pay full MSRP for a DVD.

kenbenobi
01-08-08, 11:22 PM
Pretty impressive list. Combined with the 10% off coupons which are floating around, and there can be some pretty good deals...

alfonsosoriano
01-08-08, 11:39 PM
Renoir set looks nice at that price.

cleaver
01-09-08, 09:14 AM
Which 10% coupons are working?

bigjim25
01-15-08, 11:40 AM
As of today...
http://fye-content.vcommerce.com/onlinemarketing/fye/email/images/dvdblowout_600x150.jpg

kenbenobi
01-15-08, 10:12 PM
Which 10% coupons are working?
Apparently none. I thought there were, but the last ones expired 1/5. If anyone has any, please post them...

benh911
01-16-08, 02:19 AM
When is the discount supposed to come off? I've put two things in my cart and got as far as to where I'm supposed to put in my credit card information looking to get the discount, but it's never applied. It's just staying at the regular price.

kenbenobi
01-16-08, 08:13 AM
When is the discount supposed to come off? I've put two things in my cart and got as far as to where I'm supposed to put in my credit card information looking to get the discount, but it's never applied. It's just staying at the regular price.
I thought the blowout items were already discounted. Which item are you trying to buy?

dtcarson
01-16-08, 08:27 AM
It definitely looks like something's screwed up.
I placed an order with a gift card which says "Error", and the balance is still on the gift card, the items were 16.99 and 2 x 12.99; clicking the "big sale" link and finding the same items, they show 35.99 and 2 x 21.49; which I am not paying, especially since this is their screwup.

benh911
01-16-08, 02:26 PM
I thought the blowout items were already discounted. Which item are you trying to buy?

I was trying to buy volume 4 and 5 of Family Guy, but when I place them in my cart, they're coming up at the regular price.

And now the sale price isn't even showing up on the link given in the thread.

strawberryshortcake
01-16-08, 02:34 PM
As of today...
http://fye-content.vcommerce.com/onlinemarketing/fye/email/images/dvdblowout_600x150.jpg

Maybe I'm wrong, but it looks like the prices have already jumped back to "normal" at least for the Will and Grace sets. Previously approximately $11.00 or so, now back up to $20.00 or so.

dtcarson
01-16-08, 03:27 PM
Yes, the prices I noticed have jumped up.
And my order from 1/09 that never shipped, has now been cancelled (by them, not me). Yay.

SterlingBen
01-16-08, 03:28 PM
They have some good deals on T-Shirts at the B&M stores, there is a thread about it in the Hot Deals sub-forum

Prowler
01-17-08, 03:45 AM
Yes, the prices I noticed have jumped up.
And my order from 1/09 that never shipped, has now been cancelled (by them, not me). Yay.

The same thing happened to me!!

I ordered on the 10th and now its cancelled. All of the items were in stock when I ordered. I have e-mailed customer support to see if I can get things fixed, but im not holding my breath.

dtcarson
01-17-08, 08:45 PM
"Unfortunately, we cannot reinstate any orders once they have cancelled out. You will have to place a new order online for the items if you would still like them once the original forms of payments have been fully credited back. If the prices do differ from when you originally placed the order please reply to this email with your new order number and when those items ship out we can credit you back the difference to make the items on the order the same price."

Uh-huh.

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.2.0