Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

Checkpoints suck

Old 01-06-08, 12:53 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Checkpoints suck

I never owned a console until I bought this xbox 360. I bought it as an economic measure because I was disgusted with the hardware and software demands of newer PC games. I hated the controller at first but I sucked it up and I am slowly getting used to it.
However, there is one thing I just can't stand about console games... checkpoints. I hate the goddamn things with a purple passion. The damn things are never where I would save and never often enough. I detest playing the same section of a game over and over and that would not happen if I could save where I wanted. Bioshock and Mass Effect allow you to save when you want (except in the middle of a fight). Why not others?
Old 01-06-08, 01:00 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts
I hate checkpoint saves too, especially coming as a primarily PC gamer where just about all games let you save anywhere. They seem like an artificial way to make a game longer and harder, since it often leads to having to replay long sections of a game if you die.
Old 01-06-08, 01:29 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
It depends on the game, but I think checkpoints can be good or bad. As long as checkpoints are offered often enough, I like them, as it gives the game more challenge than just saving and retreating after shooting every single bad guy.

In a game like the Splinter Cell series, I want to save often, because I am often moving methodically and slowly and according to my own plan. RPGs also need anytime saves. However, for a game like COD4, Halo 3, or Gears of War, the checkpoints were absolutely fine with me.

So, it's a mixed bag. I think a developer just needs to consider how the game is played to determine what type of save system is needed.
Old 01-06-08, 03:19 PM
DVD Talk Hero

I like checkpoints mostly because I would sometimes forget to save a game (Halo 3). I think you may just be spoiled by PC games.
Old 01-06-08, 03:24 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Those checkpoints are useless in console and PC games. I think the checkpoint was designed for coin acrade.
Old 01-06-08, 04:43 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by PopcornTreeCt
I like checkpoints mostly because I would sometimes forget to save a game (Halo 3). I think you may just be spoiled by PC games.
Spoiled? Maybe, but your statement implies that "save anywhere" is superior. Why not include it for those who want it?
Old 01-06-08, 04:59 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I agree that it is a poor design element that is a holdover from when consoles used to not have internal storage. Hopefully it is something that goes away this generation or the next.
Old 01-06-08, 05:07 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Checkpoint saving does suck, but it is much better than the ancient 30 character password saving of NES games. I hated that with a passion, especially whens 8's and B's looked alike and 0's and O's and 1's and I's...
Old 01-06-08, 05:16 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

It's really not that hard to have Save-Anywhere and Checkpoints together. Most PC games do it already by making an automatic quicksave whenever you go into a new area/level or after some event.