Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Music Talk
Reload this Page >

What's your "overplayed to the point of annoying" song on the radio of 2007?

Community
Search
Music Talk Discuss music in all its forms: CD, MP3, DVD-A, SACD and of course live

Search this Thread

Old 01-02-08, 07:12 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 730 Likes on 532 Posts

The title speaks for itself. I don't really buy a lot of CDs and I mostly listen to music on the radio during the drive to and from work, usually anytime I'm in the car. I know certain markets have obligations to play a featured song or artist A LOT. And in smaller markets you tend to know the rotation. (I still think Hawaii has 14 songs on rotation during the day.) Sometimes it's that poppy/catchy POS or a song you like, but start to hate because it's played once or twice an hour. So the stipulation is that it must be a single on the charts during 2007. Not something obscure.

So with my choice..

Nickelback - Rockstar

I think the band is alright. Nothing spectacular. I didn't mind some of their earlier effort, but they have a song in rotation now that, to me, is cringe worthy. Sometimes it's almost enough to want to drive my car into a telephone pole or off a cliff. I thank the designer who put the radio controls on my steering wheel, because I can't turn the station faster when the song comes on. It's a poorman's Creed (which is bad enough) with Kid Rock's Cowboy thrown in.

A close second is...

Alicia Keyes - No One

Sounds too much like Sean Kingston - Put the Blame on Me. I already didn't like the latter, so Ms. Keyes using the same background riff doesn't help it. Plus she sounds rather generic in this song.
Old 01-02-08, 07:28 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 23 Likes on 18 Posts
Rihanna - Umbrella

Every time I heard that "a...a...a..." part during the chorus It felt like a dentist drilling a hole in my tooth without any novocaine.

Then there was Nickelback - Photographs, Which sounded like he was looking through his photo album while sitting on the toilet, trying real hard to let one out.
Old 01-02-08, 07:29 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Dean Kousoulas
Rihanna - Umbrella
ding ding ding!!!!
Old 01-02-08, 07:30 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
"Hey There, Delilah" - Plain White T's

In addition to not liking it much in the first place, then hearing it everywhere on the radio...my freakin' wife had to set that as her main ringtone so I hear it all the time there. Yay.
Old 01-02-08, 07:41 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 730 Likes on 532 Posts
Originally Posted by antennaball
"Hey There, Delilah" - Plain White T's

In addition to not liking it much in the first place, then hearing it everywhere on the radio...my freakin' wife had to set that as her main ringtone so I hear it all the time there. Yay.
Damn you.. I just put that out of my mind and you have to drag it back in there. Hate is a strong word, but I really, really, really don't like that song.
Old 01-02-08, 08:25 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: the kingdom of the evil Voratians, ruled by the wicked Ak-Oga
Received 85 Likes on 48 Posts
That list is a true and sad testament of the sorry state of not only today's music in general, but how little it takes to entertain today's "music" listeners. I weep for the future.
Old 01-02-08, 09:13 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by The_Infidel
That list is a true and sad testament of the sorry state of not only today's music in general, but how little it takes to entertain today's "music" listeners. I weep for the future.
To the best of my knowledge, I have not heard any of those songs.

Only, if they are in a commerical or something along those lines.
Old 01-02-08, 09:24 PM

soulja boy, plain white T's, any T-pain
Old 01-02-08, 09:37 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I'm honestly partial to Souljah Boy b/c of the way UGA kind of adopted it this year, but other than that I've never heard any of the other songs. Thank goodness for iPods, indie labels, and NPR.
Old 01-02-08, 09:42 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Think back 10 years to 1997, when it was non-stop Puff Daddy, Spice Girls, and Hanson. The "pop" charts haven't been healthy in a LONG time.

The future is now.
Old 01-02-08, 09:45 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

I don't listen to the radio at all. "Girlfriend" is the only song out of those #1s that I could actually identify if I heard it.

I had some cousins over during the holidays that had me looking up Soulja Boy on Youtube for them- sounded pretty bad hearing it the once, and there's no way I'd recognize it if I heard it again.

And I know I've heard the Nelly Furtado song at least once- I bought the CD for $5 because I kind of liked her earlier stuff. Only listened to this CD once or twice, though, and don't recall much of it except for the fact I didn't like it.
Old 01-03-08, 09:40 AM
DVD Talk Godfather & 2020 TOTY Winner

Received 6,199 Likes on 4,226 Posts
Easily "Umbrella". It's gottaq be the most overplayed song of recent years. If (or more likely, when) that POS track wins a slew of big Grammys, a part of my soul will die a little.
Old 01-03-08, 10:03 AM
TGM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 401 Likes on 250 Posts
Daughtry
Old 01-03-08, 10:09 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 32 Likes on 26 Posts
I have to agree with the OP. Nickelback's Rockstar also makes me want to drive off the road. Aside from being played ALL THE TIME, it has to have close to the worst (if not THE worst) lyrics of any song, EVER.
Old 01-03-08, 10:27 AM

Received 164 Likes on 120 Posts
Whenever I read posts like this I like to think back to the classic era of rock music, when all the popular music was great and produced by artists of real talent, and then I remember that the number one, best selling single of 1969 was "Sugar Sugar" by The Archies.

Old 01-03-08, 11:03 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Crank That-Soulja Boy without a doubt
Old 01-03-08, 12:23 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 444 Likes on 311 Posts
I feel old when I say that I haven't heard a single song listed in this thread. Well, I may have, at a party or something, but I certainly wouldn't recognize what it is or who it's by - due to most of them being no-names, who will most likely disappear within a year.
Old 01-03-08, 01:18 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

"Beautiful Girls" Sean Kingston
Old 01-03-08, 01:20 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Hey There Delilah. The song is insufferably cutesy wootsy, the name "Delilah" is irritating, the mewling chorus makes me want to club baby seals, the incredibly cliched and insipid lyrics ("Times Square can't shine as bright as you"?!?), the croaky vocal mannerisms, the whole "recent college grad earnestly trying to keep his girl" vibe. Gah. having said that, basically every song on the above list completely blows.
Old 01-03-08, 01:42 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts
That stupid ass Delilah song. Fuck that song.
Old 01-03-08, 01:54 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Have to agree with the OP on the Alicia Keys single...didn't believe it was her at first. Annoying pop garbage that could pass for about a dozen other current artists. Soulja Boy, on the other hand, is a guilty pleasure on par with Rocky IV. So unbearably bad, it's entertaining.
Old 01-03-08, 02:30 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Never heard any of those songs. I just went looking online for Umbrella because I've been meaning to hear it. Eh, not awful. Wouldn't wanna hear it a million times, though.
Old 01-03-08, 02:32 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
That song by Akon, you know, the one that ripped off that crappy R. Kelly song? I don't even know the name. They played it seemingly 24/7 when I was in the gym. It's the reason I now use my ipod anytime I'm there.
Old 01-03-08, 04:46 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts
Originally Posted by CreatureX
"Beautiful Girls" Sean Kingston

I liked Umbrella at first, as well as the Chris Brown remix. But now it's pretty annoying.
Old 01-03-08, 05:15 PM

Crank That (Soulja Boy) was an awesome and trippy ass guilty pleasure that just got waaay overplayed. Can't even stand it anymore.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.