Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Music Talk
Reload this Page >

The Smashing Pumpkins - American Gothic (01/02/2008)

Community
Search
Music Talk Discuss music in all its forms: CD, MP3, DVD-A, SACD and of course live

Search this Thread

Old 01-02-08, 08:48 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

Anybody pick up this yet (Itunes only in the US)? It's SP goes Days of The New. Sadly though, lyrically its just more "Zeitgeist".
Old 01-02-08, 09:55 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
It's amazing how little I've heard about this.
Old 01-02-08, 10:25 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 49 Likes on 38 Posts
Originally Posted by auto
It's amazing how little I've heard about this.
I posted something about it in the previous larger SP thread. They were in the studio in Nov/Dec, I guess this is the result.

iTunes only huh? Would have bought it but I'll guess I have to find another way to get it.
Old 01-02-08, 11:34 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by DVD Josh
I posted something about it in the previous larger SP thread. They were in the studio in Nov/Dec, I guess this is the result.

iTunes only huh? Would have bought it but I'll guess I have to find another way to get it.
I remember someone mentioning it but I just figured there would be a lot more info out there if this was a legitimate release. Everyone made such a fuss about Zeitgeist.
Old 01-02-08, 12:43 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
didn't even know this existed till now, listening to it right now, we'll see
Old 01-02-08, 02:42 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by DVD Josh
same here. huge SP fan, and i'll buy anything they put out, but there's no way i'm supporting a digital-only (lossy, at that) release.
Old 01-02-08, 04:57 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I don't buy this.
Old 01-02-08, 11:09 PM

It seems you can pick up an import CD copy. I received this from SP email today:
The Smashing Pumpkins have released their 4-song acoustic EP, "American Gothic", on iTunes TODAY!

"American Gothic" features 4 new acoustic songs:

The Rose March
Again, Again, Again (The Crux)
Pox
Sunkissed

In the U.S., iTunes is the exclusive retailer; elsewhere in the world, "American Gothic" will be available as a physical product at retail.

The "American Gothic" EP is available now on iTunes as 4 separate songs or a specially priced ZEITGEIST BUNDLE that includes the full iTunes version of Zeitgeist along with the music videos for "Tarantula" and "That's The Way (My Love Is)".
Old 01-03-08, 03:08 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
iTunes only? Pass and

Having to import the EP just to get the product we should have got in the first place? Double pass
Old 01-03-08, 08:57 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
bleh. I did not like much. Too busy, overproduced sound again. And Billy backing on Billy vocals again? Come on. Lets have the full band in on this.
Old 01-04-08, 09:04 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts
After about a dozen listens I'm gonna consider this EP a failure. It just doesn't work on any level.
Old 01-04-08, 11:56 AM

I listened to it, was beyond bored by it..what turned me off even more by it was Corgan's full of spiritual bullshit blog post about it.

"I emerge from my seemingly eternal self-imposed silence to bring good news! The collective We is happy to announce that We have just finished a new acoustic e.p. entitled 'American Gothic' that features 4 new songs:

* The Rose March
* Again, Again, Again (the crux)
* POX
* Sunkissed

Even better is the news that these songs will be available on i-tunes starting January 2nd...the collective We looks forward to you hearing these new songs afresh and us playing them to you anew on the upcoming European and Australian tours...

Since the holidays are upon us, the collective I would like to take this opportunity to give gratitude where it is due, and that is to those that are not hypnotized, or so numbed by darkness that they cannot hear the chime in my words...I wish you a warm holiday and a brilliant New Year to come, and may you get all you deserve! (again) From my heart to yours, sincerely, I hope you feel the love that we have for all of you, even for those of you who are lost and seeking, bruised and still keeping...i hope these words find you as well...

The new day has finally come as we turn the corner on the end of one energy that no longer serves us and begin to embrace the new dawn that will...and no, I am not speaking about the band or the music business...what is past is passed, and we all wear the black arm bands in honor of, but life happily, as it should, marches on...hopefully to a good beat...

Thanks to New Orleans for showing Us the meaning of hope...and thanks to the old guard for showing the same dull move, you know the one that never works? Art band that said old guard wishes they were in so bad that they wish importance upon it? Check! No matter what you crutches all dream up, Led Zep is still a 100 times better! Go Zep! Go Team! Rock on! Long Live the Mighty SP!
And...

Thank YOU for showing up! And yes, I mean YOU

lovingness, happiness, BC"

Last edited by TripWire; 01-04-08 at 11:58 AM.
Old 01-06-08, 09:21 AM
Banned

I am a Smashing Pumpkins fan but Corgan is turning into a parody of himself.
Old 01-07-08, 06:39 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I think it's pretty darn good, but I am obviously in the minority.