Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Trick 'r Treat (2007) w/d: Dougherty

Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Old 01-02-08, 02:42 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

So, I was rewatching 300 tonight and I saw the trailer for Trick 'r Treat . I remember when I first saw it I really wanted to check it out but completely forgot all about it. Tonight, rewatching it, I thought I must have somehow missed it (300 came out 5 months ago).

Looking it up online I can't find any release dates (or any real info period).

I'm a sucker for horror anthology (even bad ones), and this looks better than most. Has anyone heard any news?
Old 01-02-08, 03:50 AM

Received 61 Likes on 39 Posts
October 2008.

http://www.shocktillyoudrop.com/news...ws.php?id=3978
Old 01-04-08, 12:14 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Well that bites ass. The trailer intrigued me, but I really got excited when I read it would be an anthology (the trailer didn't mention that).

I can see why they would want an October release and I'm assuming it wasn't ready for Oct 2007, but holding it an entire year kind of sucks. I wonder if releasing a horror movie near Halloween really increases the B.O.?
Old 01-04-08, 01:09 PM

Received 61 Likes on 39 Posts
Originally Posted by DeputyDave
I wonder if releasing a horror movie near Halloween really increases the B.O.?
It's no guarantee, but some of the best opening weekends for horror flicks have been in October. But with a title called Trick r Treat, I think it'd be wise. Then again, the last "Halloween" to be released around October was "The Curse of Michael Myers," back in '95, so....

http://www.boxofficemojo.com/alltime.../?mo=10&p=.htm
Old 01-04-08, 01:25 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 307 Likes on 229 Posts
I think that when studios hold off and hold off on these flicks looking for the "right" time to release them only hurts interest and ultimately hurts it at the box office. I guess this movie will be okay considering what it is called and when it supposedly will come out but nothing is a guarantee. The worst thing is to hype this movie up in your mind and then for it to just be "meh" by the time you see it. I was extremely hyped about House of 1000 Corpses after hearing about it but after waiting for the 3 years or so to see it I was a bit let down with what I actually saw. I was expecting the second coming of horror from the hype and the trailers to be presented with simply a reimagining of horror movies from the past.
Old 01-04-08, 02:38 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
My friend saw an essentially finsihed version of this film months before Halloween of '07, so I seriously doubt it wasn't ready. I think the studio got cold feet, became unsure of a theatrical release, and then changed their minds and ended up waiting too long to drop it in Oct of '07. Then they said Feb '08, only to then realize that a film that is Halloween-centric needs to be released in October... hence the Oct '08 date. Sucks, but I've heard REALLY good things about the film. I can't wait.
Old 01-04-08, 02:45 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: (formerly known as Inglenook Hampendick) Fairbanks, Alaska!
Received 504 Likes on 349 Posts
No Sammi Curr, no sale!

j/k This looks great, and I've heard really good buzz on it.
Old 01-04-08, 06:44 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Here is the trailer for those that haven't seen it:

<object width="425" height="355"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/ggDNhd5FC2U&rel=1"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/ggDNhd5FC2U&rel=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="355"></embed></object>

I'd like to check this out too and can respect them wanting to wait until October so reluctantly the wait continues.

Brian Cox can be one creepy dude!
Old 04-08-08, 10:10 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
CHUD.com is reporting that Warner Brothers has dumped the film completely, and that it is being screened in hopes of finding a new distributor.
Old 04-08-08, 11:14 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Originally Posted by achau9598
CHUD.com is reporting that Warner Brothers has dumped the film completely, and that it is being screened in hopes of finding a new distributor.
I don't get this, it looks 10X better then the Halloween remake, the Prom remake that just came out etc..
Old 04-08-08, 11:20 AM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts
No flavor of the month teen starlet = no sale!
Old 04-08-08, 12:21 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

That seems to be the problem ... it actually had some positive buzz about it. What studio wants that? Maybe Lion's Gate can pick it up.
Old 04-08-08, 12:51 PM

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts
SIDE COMMENT:

the anthology film that I want to see is Trapped Ashes (2006) - with segments directed by
Sean S. Cunningham
John Gaeta
Monte Hellman
Ken Russell
Joe Dante

this is another film stuck in limbo
Old 04-08-08, 07:26 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

This movie looks great!! Why did they dump? LAME!!
Old 04-08-08, 07:32 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Location: Rainy ass Seattle yes the weather sucks here, so do our sports teams.
Originally Posted by BuddyRevell
This movie looks great!! Why did they dump? LAME!!
Agreed! This movie looks kick ass, I HOPE this gets a distributor.
Old 04-08-08, 10:17 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Giles
SIDE COMMENT:

the anthology film that I want to see is Trapped Ashes (2006) - with segments directed by
Sean S. Cunningham
John Gaeta
Monte Hellman
Ken Russell
Joe Dante

Now THAT sounds great. Like I said, I'm a sucker for even a so-so horror anthology.

Any more info?
Old 04-08-08, 11:03 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Actually looks like a decent horror flick for a change.
Old 04-09-08, 02:50 AM

The people that saw it at Butt-Numb-A-Thon last year said that it was very well made and ten times better than half the horror films that come out every year. I think from what I remember that the film was supost to have been released this spring, then it was moved to next halloween. I don't know for the life of me why Warners did what they did. It can't be, as a coworker said that Lionsgate will have a new Saw film coming out and didn't want to release something against it. Warrers would have just uped the release date by a week or so.
Old 04-09-08, 07:43 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

The rumor is that the reason for the dump has to do with Warner's ongoing tiff with Bryan Singer. He is the Executive Producer on this film, and some think that this is Warner's way of getting at him.
Old 07-29-08, 03:11 PM

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts
SIDE COMMENT:

Sean S. Cunningham
John Gaeta
Monte Hellman
Ken Russell
Joe Dante

this just got released on DVD for anyone interested.
Old 07-29-08, 03:31 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 23 Likes on 11 Posts
Originally Posted by achau9598
The rumor is that the reason for the dump has to do with Warner's ongoing tiff with Bryan Singer. He is the Executive Producer on this film, and some think that this is Warner's way of getting at him.
But wouldn't that affect Warner as well? By dumping the movie they now just lost a film that seems to have a lot of positive feedback. Even if it didn't turn out to be a big box office hit the positive reviews do generally lead to good box office and/or good DVD sales.

I haven't seen the trailer so I can't judge the movie but if this is the reason Warner dumped the movie I think it would be the height of stupidity. I hope another studio picks this up and this turns out to be the next Blair Witch Project and makes 100x more than it cost.
Old 07-29-08, 07:30 PM

Great trailer. Release this already. Groan...Other than (Myers) Halloween, there's not too may Halloween oriented horror films out there. And i'm a suckers for this type of flick. It seems to be the type of movie to play on a loop during halloween if ever gets to dvd. Of course i rather see this in the theaters first.
Old 07-29-08, 08:41 PM
Cool New Member

damn that trailer looks good.. hope it finds someone to release it.
Old 08-22-08, 05:45 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

FANGORIA will host a free screening of the anthology horror flick TRICK ’R TREAT at New York City’s Two Boots Pioneer Theater on Monday, October 13 at 7 p.m., marking the film’s East Coast premiere and a rare opportunity to see this eagerly awaited movie on the big screen. The film’s writer/director, Michael (X-MEN 2) Doughtery, will introduce the film and take part in a Q&A. The film stars Anna (TRUE BLOOD) Paquin, Brian (MANHUNTER) Cox, Dylan (FIDO) Baker and Leslie (MIDNIGHT MEAT TRAIN) Bibb.

The Fango/Pioneer TRICK ’R TREAT screening will be a free show; to obtain tickets, send an e-mail to [email protected]. You must list “TRICK ’R TREAT” as your subject line. Offer is good for you and one guest; plus, tell us your full name and whether you want to be added to the FANGORIA newsletter list so we can tell you about future Fango screenings and events. Names will be checked at the door. Offer is first come, first served, and we will confirm your RSVP. This advance preview is sponsored by Legendary Pictures.

TRICK ’R TREAT has been on horror fans’ must-see list ever since it was originally announced as a 2007 Halloween debut (its current release status is undetermined). Advance reviews have been ecstatic. Fangoria.com’s Matt Kiernan caught an advance preview late last year in Austin, TX and praised: “TRICK ‘R TREAT is, first and foremost, an entertainment and nothing more—an unpretentious, light-hearted (but never cutesy) and blackly comic movie.” See his full review here, and read our interview with actress Paquin in FANGORIA #277, on sale next month.

So mark your calendar for Fango’s free 35mm showing of TRICK ‘R TREAT on October 13. Meanwhile, check out the TRICK ‘R TREAT trailer here. —Tony Timpone

http://www.fangoria.com/news_article.php?id=7144

Hopefully this screening will generate some good buzz and someone here is able to attend.
Old 08-22-08, 05:52 PM
DVD Talk Legend

SIDE COMMENT:
Sean S. Cunningham
John Gaeta
Monte Hellman
Ken Russell
Joe Dante
Monte Hellman? Really? I may have to check this out, as unpromising as it appears.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.