Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Music Talk
Reload this Page >

Holes in the data layer of CDs?

Community
Search
Music Talk Discuss music in all its forms: CD, MP3, DVD-A, SACD and of course live

Search this Thread

Old 01-01-08, 04:22 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I bought a used music CD recently and held it up to the light to check for scratches. While doing that, I noticed small holes where light shone through. So I checked a lot of my music CDs and was disturbed to see that maybe around 30% of them had this problem. What you have to do is hold the disc up directly against a lightbulb, with the data side facing you, and then you might see one (sometimes more than one) small bright hole in the disc. It helps if the top of the disc is plain and silver, it's tougher to see the holes if the disc has a lot of silkscreening on it. Some of my CDs that have these holes are over 10 years old, some are a few years old, and even a brand new one that I opened up recently has a small hole.

Are these holes normal? You would think that these holes would cause skipping and/or other sound problems, but I've listened to most of that one used CD (which actually has several holes in it) and I have not noticed any problems.

Last edited by sldvd; 01-01-08 at 04:28 PM.
Old 01-05-08, 08:09 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I buy used CDs all of the time and TRY to check them before I buy them. Sometimes I forget and I have a few CDs like this although they all play fine.