Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

The Water Horse: Legend of the Deep

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Search this Thread

Old 12-30-07, 08:27 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I enjoyed the authentic Scottish feel of WWII times in "The Water Horse: Legend of the Deep", as well as the acting all around (you can't help but like Alex Etel, last seen in "Millions"). The CGI of Caruso, the mythical water horse, was blended seamlessly when he is relatively small, but the CGI gets a little iffy when he grows up big enough to spawn the legend of the Loch Ness Monster. The structure of the film is rather curious to me because it feels like a 2-part film, so it felt a little short in the dramatic storytelling department at times, but kids will enjoy it, though it does feature some wartime activities since it's set in the WWII time period.

I give it 2.75 stars or a grade of B-.
Old 12-30-07, 09:13 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts
All i know is that i've probably seen the previews and trailers for this movie a dozen times in front of almost every single movie i've seen this year and it's been getting annoying
Old 12-30-07, 09:20 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Alex Etel is the reason I want to watch this one. He did a great job in Millions, and in my opinion he's going to become one of the best actors of his time. I don't have much to base that on, just Millions, but I really have that feeling about the little guy.
Old 04-11-08, 06:45 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Patman
kids will enjoy it
Exactly. If you're going to psycho analyze a move like "The Water Horse", you're wasting your time.

I enjoyed it. I don't think it was "E.T." but Alex Etel was very good and I'm a sucker for cute, CGI creatures. I know this movie is pretty hated around here, but I liked it. This wasn't "No Country For Old Men" or "American Gangster"; it's a light-hearted, cute little story that the parents will put on so the kids will be quiet for a couple of hours.
Old 04-11-08, 09:04 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 290 Likes on 211 Posts
Just watched it for the first time. It was o.k. at best (rating 6/10). But I do agree kids should love it. And the CGI was quite good.
Old 04-11-08, 09:51 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 64 Likes on 46 Posts
I watched this the other day. Not a bad little movie. I think my son would have really enjoyed it but he fell asleep early on.
Old 04-13-08, 11:48 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I took my two young cousins, aged 7 and 9 to see "The Waterhorse". It's a great little film for kids, much more entertaining than the re-hashed Dr. Seuss "Horton".

"Horton" is baby stuff. I can't believe it knocked "10,000 BC" out of first place in the USA. But "The Waterhorse" is a great story. Don't bother going to see "Horton".... just read the book.