Community
Search
Music Talk Discuss music in all its forms: CD, MP3, DVD-A, SACD and of course live

Holy F***?

Search this Thread

Old 12-23-07, 09:35 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Holy F***?

I've been listening to the debut album from a Canadian band called Holy Fuck for a few weeks and I think it's fantastic. It's driving, epic electronic/instrumental music similar to Battles in some ways.

I think they've been opening for Wolf Parade for the past few months, here's a sample of them live that gives a good idea what they sound like:
<object width="425" height="355"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/zauDHIfmQCQ&rel=1"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/zauDHIfmQCQ&rel=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="355"></embed></object>

Last edited by Hiro11; 12-23-07 at 09:38 AM.
Old 12-23-07, 10:26 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Doubt they'll get much radio play with a name like that.
Old 12-23-07, 11:02 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by Snowmaker
Yeah it's pretty stupid to sacrifice your career prospects with the name of your band...
Old 12-23-07, 12:15 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Hiro11
Yeah it's pretty stupid to sacrifice your career prospects with the name of your band...
It'd be one thing if it was actually a cool name, but in this case...
Old 12-23-07, 01:31 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
It's a catchy name for an unknown band. I saw this thread titled "Holy Fuck" and I just had to open it up and see what's inside, Doubt I would done that if they were called "The Birdwatchers" . If they get any level of success, I'm sure they can shorten it to: "Holy F!" or something like that.
Old 12-23-07, 02:07 PM
Banned

I've been listening to the debut album from a Canadian band called Holy Fuck for a few weeks and I think it's fantastic. It's driving, epic electronic/instrumental music similar to Battles in some ways.
That's what I get for glancing through a thread when I've just rolled out of bed; I thought you wrote "music similar to Beatles"! But then I clicked on the YouTube link to hear them, and was about to rip your ass with a "HOLY FUCK?!?! They sound NOTHING like the Beatles!!!" Then I re-read your post. Though I must say, the first minute and 1/2 remind me of Springsteen's "Santa Claus Is Coming To Town".

Meh.
Old 12-23-07, 11:10 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Yup they've been opening for WP but are out touring with another band now, smaller venues.

Very good and energetic set - really got the crowd going.
Old 12-24-07, 02:18 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Snowmaker
They don't have a vocalist so why bother even trying to break through on the radio?

Decent for an instrumental band, but I wish it was more build up to amazement rather than mostly the same thing going on through most of the song. Instrumentals don't work as well without the crescendo or an amazing riff...or a nice groovy beat.
Old 12-24-07, 01:46 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Opening for Wolf Parade? Man, when is that new Wolf Parade coming out??
Old 12-27-07, 03:38 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Don't mean to thread crap or sound like a jerk..... maybe I'm too old, but I don't understand electronic music at all. I saw a drummer and a guitarist... cool... and then there are two guys pushing buttons and turning knobs or something jumping around and the whole tune is "beep beep beep beep, det det det det, dah dah dah dah, beep beep beep beep" (repeat 58 times)

I have a friend who likes this stuff and whenever I go to his place at night he puts it on and I just scratch my head... but he always has hot girls over that likes it too that he hooks up with, so maybe I suck. ha ha. I really do want to "get it"
Old 12-27-07, 04:00 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
according to the 9:30 club website, they are currently touring with Super Furry Animals
and The Fiery Furnac, with Holy Fuck as the opener.
Old 12-27-07, 03:30 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
I saw them at the first Vegoose performing with the rapper Beans. Had never heard of either Beans or Holy Fuck, and I was pretty blown away.
Old 01-02-08, 05:01 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
I'll give them another shot, but the song posted in this thread is repetitive and irritating.
Old 01-02-08, 05:53 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

It's driving, epic electronic/instrumental music similar to Battles in some ways.
Funny, I watched that Holy video and thought it was simply okay. Then I searched for a video I saw recently with the same sound that I liked MUCH more and it turned out to be Battles here they are....

<object width="425" height="355"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/IpGp-22t0lU&rel=1"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/IpGp-22t0lU&rel=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="355"></embed></object>

Originally Posted by turborob
Don't mean to thread crap or sound like a jerk..... maybe I'm too old, but I don't understand electronic music at all. I saw a drummer and a guitarist... cool... and then there are two guys pushing buttons and turning knobs or something jumping around and the whole tune is "beep beep beep beep, det det det det, dah dah dah dah, beep beep beep beep" (repeat 58 times)
You aren't being a jerk, but it shouldn't have anything to do with age. I'm just about 43 and love this stuff. These bands are copying from the early to mid 70's as much as anything (Krautrock bands). A song being repetitive to me is freaking cool as hell if it's good. And since I'll probably never see any of these bands in person I don't care if they suck live
Old 01-07-08, 12:59 PM

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts
Originally Posted by Rypro 525
according to the 9:30 club website, they are currently touring with Super Furry Animals
and The Fiery Furnac, with Holy Fuck as the opener.
let's hope they still on the bill, since I was disappointed that Shit Disco got knocked off the bill of last year's LCD Soundsystem tour.
Old 01-07-08, 03:15 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by HE Pennypacker
I'll give them another shot, but the song posted in this thread is repetitive and irritating.
You need to hear the version on the album, there's lots of building and decaying happening that's not in evidence from the live version. There's also some orchestration etc, it's a great song. Also, it's probably the poppy-est song on the album, most of it sounds like this:
<object width="425" height="355"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/mCJisXvd8mQ&rel=1"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/mCJisXvd8mQ&rel=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="355"></embed></object>

Seriously, fellas, this is a good album. Aw, c'mon guys! Guys? Hello?
Old 01-07-08, 03:32 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 74 Likes on 48 Posts
Originally Posted by Giles
let's hope they still on the bill, since I was disappointed that Shit Disco got knocked off the bill of last year's LCD Soundsystem tour.
Shit Disco and Holy Fuck. I guess they should go on tour with Anal ****.
Old 01-07-08, 03:58 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by cdollaz
As long as Day-Glo Abortions is also on the bill.
Old 01-07-08, 07:22 PM

Originally Posted by cdollaz
I also thought there was a group called Selfish ****
Old 01-08-08, 09:38 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts
Originally Posted by Gdrlv
I saw them at the first Vegoose performing with the rapper Beans. Had never heard of either Beans or Holy Fuck, and I was pretty blown away.
Beans is ill.

I'm seeing these guys with Super Furry Animals. I'm very excited.
Old 01-08-08, 12:05 PM

Originally Posted by The Bus
I'm seeing these guys with Super Furry Animals. I'm very excited.
which venue/show are you going to?
Old 01-08-08, 01:09 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts
Saturday the 26th at the Starlight in Philly. Not my favorite venue (it's literally a ballroom), but I don't want to miss these bands.