DVD Talk
Best Buy B2G1F on HD-DVD is select titles only. (12/23-12/29) [Archive] - DVD Talk Forum

PDA

View Full Version : Best Buy B2G1F on HD-DVD is select titles only. (12/23-12/29)

dsa_shea
12-23-07, 01:31 AM
I just checked online and they now have it up. It clearly shows the titles you can select for this offer. Pan's Labyrinth and Stardust (now 34.99)are available but Eastern Promises is not. Now I'm going to think twice about this sale since it doesn't really seem to be worth the hassle.

Edit: Went to my local Best Buy and was able to select any available individual movie. Box sets and tv shows are excluded. There are a few reports of people only able to get what is listed in the add though so this may still be a YMMV deal.

El Talon Del Monstruo
12-23-07, 01:39 AM
Blade Runner (5 Disc) IS involved with the sale, at least it says so when I go to the listing for it. Shame that Eastern Promises is not in the deal. Oh well.

dsa_shea
12-23-07, 01:41 AM
Blade Runner (5 Disc) IS involved with the sale, at least it says so when I go to the listing for it. Shame that Eastern Promises is not in the deal. Oh well.

I just edited my post to reflect that. With Stardust 5 bucks more and no Eastern Promises I think I'll just go to Wal-Mart to get Stardust with coupon and pick up Eastern Promises from Amazon or somewhere else on the cheap. Most of the titles in the offer are old titles. Don't be so stingy with the HD-Dvds please.

PopcornTreeCt
12-23-07, 01:44 AM
Wow, the game plan was Eastern Promises + Pan's Labyrinth + Eyes Wide Shut. That certainly throws a wrench into the plan. Maybe whenever they decide to update the cover art on Eastern Promises they'll add into the sale.

El Talon Del Monstruo
12-23-07, 01:47 AM
Wow, the game plan was Eastern Promises + Pan's Labyrinth + Eyes Wide Shut. That certainly throws a wrench into the plan. Maybe whenever they decide to update the cover art on Eastern Promises they'll add into the sale.

My plan was I have to return a copy of Disturbia from BestBuy.com that my parents bought me not knowing that I bought it last week, so use that and get Blade Runner, Eastern Promises and one more for $34.99 (thats less the $29.99 price for Disturbia) out the door at 11.66 a title, I can still pull it off but Best Buy's in store selection leaves a lot to be desired.

The Monkees
12-23-07, 01:59 AM
the ad states "buy any 2 hd-dvds get one free" so i think that people going to the store are going to be better off.

Arpeggi
12-23-07, 02:10 AM
I don't think this deal is even that good.

I could get Eastern Promises/The Kingdom/Stardust for around $76 from amazon.

At Best Buy, the same titles would cost me $70.xx

And Pan's Labyrinth is overpriced as hell at BB ($32.99 for a $35.99 MSRP)

Arpeggi
12-23-07, 02:28 AM
Harry Potter 1 through 4:

$49.98 + tax for 3 vs $18 each for 3 on amazon.com. Not that great of a deal!

JoeyOhhhh
12-23-07, 03:23 AM
Just tried this online with six titles all listed on the page, only one came up free before it asked for my credit card information. Going to try in store (which kinda sucks because I want Smokey and the Bandit, and my store doesn't carry it).

DVD Polizei
12-23-07, 04:21 AM
Harry Potter 1 through 4:

$49.98 + tax for 3 vs $18 each for 3 on amazon.com. Not that great of a deal!

Well, hold on. You're probably assuming the 10% discount only a few people were smart enough to get. The HP titles on Amazon run you $19.95 a piece and even $24.95.

HP movies 1-3 are $24.99 a piece at BB. That makes 3 HP movies for $16.67, which isn't too bad.

However, I will agree, the overall sale is not that great. The higher the price of the movies, the less of the deal. For example, if you were to buy 3 movies at $34.99, which no single title sells that much on Amazon, you would be paying an average of $23.33 a title.

So, if anyone is half-way smart, you're only going to buy the $24.99 titles. Everything else, wait for another sale.

In addition, Amazon will probably announce another B1G1 sale shortly or something similar to BB but probably better, so don't spend all your cash at Best Buy.

DVD Polizei
12-23-07, 04:32 AM
Just tried this online with six titles all listed on the page, only one came up free before it asked for my credit card information. Going to try in store (which kinda sucks because I want Smokey and the Bandit, and my store doesn't carry it).

Probably because BB's checkout system only allows a B2G1 purchase. If you put more than 3 titles in your cart, you will only get 1 free title, no matter how many you put in there. Just a guess, though.

juanmgonzalez
12-23-07, 09:09 AM
Probably because BB's checkout system only allows a B2G1 purchase. If you put more than 3 titles in your cart, you will only get 1 free title, no matter how many you put in there. Just a guess, though.

That is not correct - does not work with even 3 titles in the cart.

DVD Polizei
12-23-07, 09:23 AM
Well, it does for me. I put in three titles, and one comes up free. I put in six, and only one is free still. Make sure you're picking titles from the special page or make sure the titles have the "Free HD DVD" or similar link in the description.

ScottsDvds
12-23-07, 09:25 AM
No problems instore picking up The Kingdom and Eastern Promises.
My cost at Amazon using my Amazon Visa:
Items: $83.85
Shipping & Handling: $4.96
BN Promotion Applied: -$8.31
Super Saver Discount: -$4.96
Promotion Applied: -$5.00
Total Before Tax: $70.64

Best Buy is $63.58, so I think it's a pretty good deal.

mcghee84
12-23-07, 10:09 AM
Did one order online, one order in-store. It's definitely all titles in-store.

BLADE RUNNER was out of stock locally, so I ordered it with PAN'S LABYRINTH and STARDUST (still marked $29.99 at store, so I got that price). Selected free shipping on BLADE RUNNER and in-store pickup for PAN'S and STARDUST.

Then went to the store to pick up my order, also grabbed THE KINGDOM, EASTERN PROMISES and another STARDUST (a last-minute Christmas gift for a friend).

Everything went beautifully. Was especially glad about the STARDUST price adjustment.

dvdfansub
12-23-07, 10:44 AM
Did one order online, one order in-store. It's definitely all titles in-store.

BLADE RUNNER was out of stock locally, so I ordered it with PAN'S LABYRINTH and STARDUST (still marked $29.99 at store, so I got that price). Selected free shipping on BLADE RUNNER and in-store pickup for PAN'S and STARDUST.

Then went to the store to pick up my order, also grabbed THE KINGDOM, EASTERN PROMISES and another STARDUST (a last-minute Christmas gift for a friend).

Everything went beautifully. Was especially glad about the STARDUST price adjustment.

Don't understand what you meant by that.

StarDust HD is $34.99
The Kingdom HD is $29.99
Eastern Promises HD is $29.99

So.. StarDust can still scan for $29.99 in store or do you have to bring to customer service desk to make that happen?

Michael Corvin
12-23-07, 10:55 AM
Well, hold on. You're probably assuming the 10% discount only a few people were smart enough to get.

Smart enough to get? rotfl Didn't getting that discount require you buying a HD/BD player last year? HD and BD players that were twice as expensive as they are now? Who are the smart ones here?

Gizmo
12-23-07, 11:05 AM
Anyone try this on those $49.99 3 Packs? I can't seem to find them online at all.

Arpeggi
12-23-07, 11:13 AM
Smart enough to get? rotfl Didn't getting that discount require you buying a HD/BD player last year? HD and BD players that were twice as expensive as they are now? Who are the smart ones here?

rotfl

Please don't post if you don't know what you're talking about. Ppl only had to buy 3 discs in the same order to get 10% and then 10% for the whole year.

rotfl

Esco51
12-23-07, 11:27 AM
no problems here. picked up eastern promises, the kingdom, and blade runner.

D'ohboy
12-23-07, 11:33 AM
At my Best Buy the only signage in-store for the B2G1 said it was only for the titles that were pictured in the weekly ad, but I was going to give it a try anyway.

Unfortunately even with a blueshirt's "enthusiastic" assistance, they didn't seem to have Eastern, so I balked. (Btw, this store's Stardusts were also stickered $29.99)

StrTrkker
12-23-07, 11:34 AM
Just got in from Best Buy and priced matched using the current Fry's ad. I got a price match on 4 movies (from $24.99 to $16.99) and bought 2 others priced $24.99 & $34.99. Even tho I did get the price match the system doesnt seem to to let you get more than 1 of the B1G1 free offers. In the long run I wound up getting 6 movies for an average of $18.50.

I will take my receipt and see if I can get a price adjustment on the B1G1 free movie that I didnt get free...

PopcornTreeCt
12-23-07, 12:15 PM
Comparing Eyes Wide Shut, Pan's Labyrinth, and Eastern Promises HD-DVDs:

Amazon totals - $72.85
Best Buy totals - $67.07 (includes tax)

Not really worth it to drive up there, find it, and wait on line for 15 minutes.

Gizmo
12-23-07, 12:36 PM
Order online?

mcghee84
12-23-07, 12:36 PM
Don't understand what you meant by that.

StarDust HD is $34.99
The Kingdom HD is $29.99
Eastern Promises HD is $29.99

So.. StarDust can still scan for $29.99 in store or do you have to bring to customer service desk to make that happen?

STARDUST was still marked as $29.99 at my Best Buy. However, it was $34.99 both online and when it rang up. In both cases, the store went with the tagged price and did an override -- without me having to prompt them, thankfully.

TheMovieman
12-23-07, 01:00 PM
Picked up The Kingdom, Eastern Promises and Accepted. Wasn't alot that I really, really wanted but I was going to get those first two anyway so might as well take advantage of the free title.

DVD Polizei
12-23-07, 01:23 PM

Obviously you don't comprehendo. We're talking about those purchasing titles which numbered much more than just a few. Regardless of the price of an HD DVD player a year ago--because the promo didn't require buying a player in the first place, those who took advantage of the promo then, have made out quite well. Hang out in the HD Talk forums a little and you might learn something.

dylonius
12-23-07, 01:42 PM

I'm not sure that getting the extra HD discount qualifies me as smart, but i am damn happy that i got in on that deal! It's saved me a decent amount of $$ and i am gonna miss it next year.

I did not have to buy an HD player to get the discount.

I guess the answer to the question might be that the "smart ones here" are the people who can spend more time paying attention to the good deals and less time rolling around on the floor.

dsa_shea
12-23-07, 01:52 PM
My Best Buy also had Stardust marked at 29.99 but it scanned at 34.99 and I brought it to the cashiers attention. He changed the price to reflect the sticker and not what was scanned. Unfortunately I was unable to get this price adjustment to go along with the 5 dollars off coupon as well as the B2G1F. The system woduln't allow all three.

So I ended up with:
Stardust (29.99+tax)
Eastern Promises (29.99+tax)
The Bourne Supremacy (Free)

Not bad for 65 dollars and 9 cents. I bought two recently and newly released movies and the Bourne movie that my collection was missing. Sorry if I may have mislead anyone in my original post. I'm just glad the stores, at least most of them, had all of the single titles available. Sorry to those that their local Bset Buy employees have their heads up the ad's ass and therefore are unable to take advantage of the deal.

BTW: I did get a voucher for a Wii and gave it to an unsuspecting lady in the store. She told me that she has been looking for one and has been unable to find one. I asked her if she would like to be able to buy one and she asked "Are they getting some after Christmas?" I told her that she could get one right now and handed her my voucher. She was very happy, surprised and thankful. It felt good that my sacrifice waiting in the freezing cold weather to support my digital crack addiction turned out to be a good thing for someone else as well.

StephenX
12-23-07, 01:54 PM
So....

Since it is confirmed that it's all titles in-store, can a mod lock the thread?

dsa_shea
12-23-07, 02:08 PM
So....

Well, unfortunately not all stores are honoring the "all" titles part of the deal. This thread could be usefull for those wanting to report the stores that are not allowing you to pick any title.

darthdelegate
12-23-07, 02:08 PM

Um...you've been owned. All you had to do was buy 3 titles for the discount. Had nothing to do with a player. Like the other guy said, it's a good idea to know what you're talking about before posting something that makes you look foolish.

latenightcreepa
12-23-07, 02:10 PM
I Got:

The Kingdom
The Heartbreak Kid
Happy Feet

Buy 2 Get 1 Free

No Problems!!!

JJay
12-23-07, 02:36 PM
I had problems initially at 8:30 this morning in store. The Media Sup tried to tell me it was only on select titles (note the titles on the in store signage are DIFFERENT than the ones listed on the website AND the ones pictured in the ad). Checked BB.com, ordered three different titles, picked them up AND another 3...including Blade Runner.

Seems as though the early morning confusion has been taken care of, at least in the computer system.

asianxcore
12-23-07, 03:04 PM
Good to see the selection applies to all titles. The Westland, MI store had signs up saying it was only on select titles. A guy I was talking to mentioned to an employee that the ad didn't state that it was on select titles.

Depending on what I get for X-mas, I might get some of the Kubrick titles and Eastern Promises on HD.

bookcase3
12-23-07, 03:41 PM
My Best Buy also had Stardust marked at 29.99 but it scanned at 34.99 and I brought it to the cashiers attention. He changed the price to reflect the sticker and not what was scanned. Unfortunately I was unable to get this price adjustment to go along with the 5 dollars off coupon as well as the B2G1F. The system woduln't allow all three.

The cashier had to adjust the price from $34.99 to $29.99, as it was on the sticker, plus he allowed me to use the $5 off coupon for Stardust. So I really scored on this one.

tazzer
12-23-07, 03:43 PM
Me and my wife went in to pick up all 5 Harry Potters, and Blade runner. Well I went through with three of the harry potters with no problem. I walk out to the car and noticed that it was taking way to long. So I went back in and she was arguing with the manager that it was only on select titles. I wasn't going to thow a big hissy so I said give me our refund. Knowing from the website that the blade runner and the two other potters were included. I told my wife to go next door to Kohls and I will take care of it. So I went back to one of their Kiosks ordered them online for store pickup. I printed the order and went to the pickup and I waited about ten minutes looking at the three titles behind the lady at the register. They hand me the movies and I ask for my $10 gift card since it took longer than a minute. The manager came over handed me the gift card I said thanks and left.

So it might be smart to order them online than trying to pick them up at the store.

mw390
12-23-07, 04:04 PM
So....

I was there earlier and one guy had 3 titles and he had a blue shirt pointing to the yellow insert on the rack saying B2G1F on these titles. I intervene and say whoa, add HDDVDs except Box sets and TV. So I said get a manager, so instead he goes to POS terminal and checks both our titles and said they were good, so go to BB and dont take no for an answer. The add was nationwide and is in simple to understand English.

DVD NDN
12-23-07, 04:32 PM
No way this is a deal for me. Fight with morons in blue polos for 3 disks @ 64 bucks out the door. Thats over 21 bucks per disk. Maybe if you can find 3 $25 disks, but that's still 53 bucks out the door, and almost 18 bucks per disk.

Gizmo
12-23-07, 05:18 PM
Picked up Stardust, Pans and Balls of Fury.

Had to point out Stardust is stickered $29.99. He corrected it.
Had to point out Pans is $32.99 in the ad. He corrected it.
Had to point out it was Buy2Get1 Free, which he corrected.

This is just a mess.

Arpeggi
12-23-07, 05:21 PM
Same thing with me, uncle G.

Had to point out Stardust and Pan's. Buy 2 Get 1 was ok.

TheMovieman
12-23-07, 05:32 PM
Reading all the problems people have been having at BB, guess I've been lucky at mine throughout the years... :shrug:

Bill Geiger
12-23-07, 05:51 PM
No way this is a deal for me. Fight with morons in blue polos for 3 disks @ 64 bucks out the door. Thats over 21 bucks per disk. Maybe if you can find 3 $25 disks, but that's still 53 bucks out the door, and almost 18 bucks per disk.

I only paid $20 for a disc once, and I traded it. My average is about $14 or less. The Amazon Marketplace is where I find the best deals, and have had no problems (except for one and I was refunded.)

PopcornTreeCt
12-23-07, 05:56 PM
I've paid well over $20 a number of times mostly because I buy a lot of imports. I don't mind it too much, it's the latest thing. It's hard to swallow spending that much on DVDs though.

laserdogg
12-23-07, 06:37 PM
Already had Bourne Ultimatum, Stardust and Pan from previous deals.

Making the threesomes pricewise could have been better but this was what 2 different stores had on hand

The Kingdom
Eastern Promises
Land Of The Dead

Blade Runner
Heartbreak Kid
Dawn Of The Dead

The Rundown
Chronicles Of Riddick
Meet The Fockers

RockStrongo
12-23-07, 07:03 PM
Im gonna go first thing Wednesday morning and pick up Pan's Labyrinth and 2 others....Normally, I would just use amazon since the prices are close. BUT, I have alot of BB giftcards from Christmas gifts. So, bingo...no brainer.

DVD Polizei
12-23-07, 07:07 PM
So it might be smart to order them online than trying to pick them up at the store.

That's exactly what I do. If they like giving me $10 GC's then it just knocks down the average cost for me. I almost always select in-store pickup so I don't have to stay for an hour, debating prices and titles with people who don't pay attention to their own sales promotions.

Pizza
12-23-07, 07:36 PM
Early this morning, I saw this thread and checked out bb.com. I noted that the site said this deal may vary by store but didn't worry about it. Since it was 8:30 in the morning and I knew they B&M stores were already open, I didn't bother with in-store pick-up. When I got to the store I saw the sign only listed a half dozen or so titles for this sale. I made note what was on the shelf and went back home to order online and do in-store pick-up. (BB is only 5 minutes from home, so no biggy.)

I was surprised when my confirmation email stated they only had one of the titles and then a third email stated the other two titles aren't available at my store. I knew this wasn't true, headed back to the store, grabbed the 2 titles off the shelf and walked up to the pick-up window.

I'm told that I came too quickly (then why did I get two emails stating the stuffs not there but I can pick up the one item?) and then it was the titles weren't in the system even though they're on the shelves. Then they couldn't get my order from the website to work . . . then they didn't believe the sale was good on all discs and they had to look it up on the website . . . and finally after all this they had the nerve to say I could have just bought them straight from the store. Nice. I did everything I could on my end to make this go smoothly. I didn't even get an apology from them, even after making me stand there for over 20 minutes for what was clearly their fumble. You should have seen the unpleasant look I got from the worker when I asked for a $10 gift card.

If they had said sorry, we goofed (and especially if they didn't try to lay the blame on me in the first place) I wouldn't have asked for the card that they did give me. I will say, however, that this was the first time one of my in-store pick-ups went sour. They have all been flawless up to this point, so, I was surprised how it went.

Still, glad to get the 2 for 3 deal and my thanks to the op.

dvdfansub
12-23-07, 08:04 PM
I tried getting these and tried getting them in 2 separate transaction:

BladeRunner Collector Edition (5 discs)
StarDust
The Kingdom

The cashier rang up over $100 inluding tax and didn't want to budge and insist that the B2G1 free is only for the titles listed in the ad.

I said no..and walk away..

then, walk back in and tried another set.

Eastern Promise
Harry Potter 4 - Goblet of Fire
The Kingdom

again.. hit with no B2G1 free.. different cashier this time and she said they are only for selected titles (in yellow card) on the DVD diplay aisle.

What going on??

Arpeggi
12-23-07, 08:12 PM
I got a gift receipt for these titles but Eastern Promises the title that I want to exchange is the one that shows up as $0.00. Am I screwed?

marcellusk
12-23-07, 08:12 PM
got heartbreak kid....eastern promies and pan's labrinyth.
no problems

Bill Geiger
12-23-07, 08:37 PM
I've paid well over $20 a number of times mostly because I buy a lot of imports. I don't mind it too much, it's the latest thing. It's hard to swallow spending that much on DVDs though.

That is what I didn't include...imports. I paid $40

dvdfansub
12-23-07, 09:00 PM
Went back tonight to try again..for Harry Potter and this is what shown
and also used my $5 RZ cert.

HP4.. $29.99 ($27.26)
HP3 ..$24.99 ($22.72)
HP2 ..$24.99 (free)

Paid..49.98 + 4.02 (tax) = $54.00

Then.. after I got home, my bro told me that HP4 is suppose to be only $24.99 (online).

Damn it! Silly me.. I could have order line for in store pickup and save my $5 RZ cert for something else.

Since BestBuy is just only two of blocks away from my apartment.. I wonder if I return it and rebuy via web.. does BestBuy return RZ cert if it already been applied to purchase?

JoeyOhhhh
12-23-07, 09:02 PM
Then.. after I got home, my bro told me that HP4 is suppose to be only $24.99 (online).

Damn it! Silly me.. I could have order line for in store pickup and save my $5 RZ cert for something else.

Since BestBuy is just only two of blocks away from my apartment.. I wonder if I return it and rebuy via web.. does BestBuy they're return my $5 RZ cert?
No, they might price adjust it accordingly, but they won't return the certificate, only with an outright return (and then, you have to wait till its mailed back out)

fhsasbvp
12-23-07, 09:03 PM
I got pan's, eastern, and kingdom.

Eastern wasn't in the normal section. It was only in the new release. I asked about pan's they checked and saw it was in stock. Then the guy said he couldn't find it so I couldn't get it. So I told him no problem that I would just go to a kiosk and order online and when they didn't have it I'd get a 10 gift card. He then told me to hold on and he'd talk to someone else. They found it in a box in the back that said not to release until the 26th. I understand why the first guy didn't find it, but geesh, it was 8:30am and the store wasn't very busy. I thought the guy gave up way too easily. Pans ran up for 35. I corrected the guy and he adjusted the price. I was also able to use a 5 rz discount and 10% off discount. Everything was under 60 out the door. Pretty decent especially since I have to pay sales tax for amazon anyways.

Ianscloset
12-23-07, 10:25 PM
Hey everybody... Went the the BB in Deerfield, IL tonight... wanted to get The Kingdom, Eastern Promises and Pan's Labyrinth... they only had The Kingdom (Eastern Promises was showing in their system, but they couldn't find). I am going to try the store in Libertyville tom for those 3 titles but I have a question, What is the deal with this $10 giftcard everyone is saying they are getting from on-line?

MrChaos
12-23-07, 10:43 PM
What is the deal with this $10 giftcard everyone is saying they are getting from on-line?

The deal is if you order BY DECEMBER 24th ONLINE (3PM) and chose in-store pickup AND they don't have your order ready in 1 minute or less, you get $10 off.

JayPen
12-23-07, 11:11 PM
I Got The Kingdom, Eastern Promises and Breach. Wanted the first two, and had a little trouble picking a third. Didn't have Breach, and liked a lot in the theatre, so looking forward to seeing it again.

Wasn't to sure about a blind buy on Balls of Fury or Heartbreak Kid so I steered clear.

dvdfansub
12-23-07, 11:21 PM
I Got The Kingdom, Eastern Promises and Breach. Wanted the first two, and had a little trouble picking a third. Didn't have Breach, and liked a lot in the theatre, so looking forward to seeing it again.

Wasn't to sure about a blind buy on Balls of Fury or Heartbreak Kid so I steered clear.

IMO, The Kingdom and Eastern Promises would be good but no sure about Breach, Balls of Fury or Heartbreak Kid.. the latter 3 wouldn't much replay value nor it really shines in HD.

Btw, all Harry Potter series would be good buy for HD.

WMAangel
12-24-07, 12:01 AM
No problems for me here in Richmond, VA getting all titles included as part of the deal (despite the silly yellow sign listing only the ones shown in the ad as examples)....other than the fact that most stores don't seem to carry but about a third to half at most of the 400+ released titles....
Oh yeah, and you can't use the "check store inventory" since it will only show as available at a store if they have more than three copies, which chances are they don't have unless it's a fairly new big title (Bourne, Shrek, etc.)....most catalog titles seem to be three or less at my local stores, meaning you have to go to multiple stores if you're looking for something specific...wasn't a problem for me today since my six-month old has a minor ear infection and wouldn't nap at home so I spent the afternoon going to five BBs looking for various discs while he slept from the driving trips!
So far my take is:

Notting Hill
Erin Brockovich

and

The Thing
Aeon Flux
The Untouchables

Only found the last two at the final store....would have ordered them online with the free shipping from their site if I hadn't....

TheBigDave
12-24-07, 12:29 AM
I got Eastern Promises, Pan's Labyrinth and The Kingdom. None of them were in the proper HD-DVD section. Pan's and Eastern were both in the New Release section. Kingdom was on an endcap. I wanted to get Blade Runner, but they were out of stock according to their computer.

danstheday
12-24-07, 02:33 AM
Picked up Blade Runner, superman the movie and superman 2 the donner cut for for around 64 bucks. Not that bad of a deal since I missed out on the deepdiscount sale ( for the two supermans). Went back later and got 2001, the shinning and willy wonka for 50 bucks.

chente
12-24-07, 04:19 AM
Picked up Pan's Labyrinth, Stardust and Black Snake Moan. I forgot all about Eastern Promises! It wasn't in the HDDVD section, so I didn't see it. I happened to see Stardust in the new release section so I found that one.

Cosmic Bus
12-24-07, 07:44 AM
Had no issues picking up Eastern Promises, Tremors and the Searchers.

RockStrongo
12-24-07, 08:40 AM
I thought Pan's comes out Dec 26?

darkside
12-24-07, 10:48 AM
Had no issues with the deal.

I picked up Harry Potter 1,2 and 3 in one order and Hot Rod, Old School and Shining in another and the discount worked fine both times.

Pan's was on the shelf at the Best Buy I was at. Not sure what the street date is supposed to be.

RockStrongo
12-24-07, 11:09 AM
Pan's was on the shelf at the Best Buy I was at. Not sure what the street date is supposed to be.

I think its Dec 26th, but since its not a day/date title and some hd-dvds were released on Dec 23, I bet they put it out early.

dsa_shea
12-24-07, 01:15 PM
I think its Dec 26th, but since its not a day/date title and some hd-dvds were released on Dec 23, I bet they put it out early.

My Best Buy still had Pan's Labyrinth in the back but all of the other releases were on the shelf. I talked them into bringing them out early and snagged a copy of it on Blu-Ray. They were going to wait until the 26th to shelf it but I'm glad I could change this particular csr's mind.

Sweet Baby James
12-24-07, 02:35 PM
Stop the presses! It has just been posted in HD Talk that starting 12/30, Best Buy will run a Buy 3, get 2 free promotion on all HD titles $34.99 and less.:)

mw390
12-24-07, 02:56 PM
Tell the manager you want to talk to them. The ad plainly states IN ENGLISH B2G1 EXCEPT TV and Box sets. That does NOT equal select titles..

moviewizguy
12-24-07, 04:33 PM
Sweet Baby James, it is still the same deal. Two buy 2 for $30 and getting one free will make the DVDs cost about $20 each. Buy 3 for $30 and getting two free will make the 5 DVDs still $20 each...so it's still isn't different. I don't think this deal is good. I don't want to spend more than $20 on HD DVDs. If only the buy one go one free deal applied to all HD-DVDs...

Ianscloset
12-24-07, 04:36 PM
I went to a different Best Buy today... found a copy of Pan's Labyrinth and The Kingdom on HD-DVD... no Eastern Promises. I asked a employee (reluctantly) if they had any in the back... he looked in the computer and said they don't even have Eastern Promises on HD-DVD in their system (even though it is in the AD!!!!). I said thanks, handed him Pan's Labyrinth and The Kingdom, and walked out of the store... what a bunch of morons! If that Buy 3, Get 2 Promo is real... I am glad I held out.

utopianz14
12-24-07, 04:55 PM
Sweet Baby James, it is still the same deal. Two buy 2 for $30 and getting one free will make the DVDs cost about $20 each. Buy 3 for $30 and getting two free will make the 5 DVDs still $20 each...so it's still isn't different. I don't think this deal is good. I don't want to spend more than $20 on HD DVDs. If only the buy one go one free deal applied to all HD-DVDs...
Buy 3 Get 2 Free is slightly better:

(2 X $30) / 3 = $20

(3 X $30) / 5 = $18

Cosmic Bus
12-24-07, 06:26 PM
Buy 3 Get 2 Free is slightly better:

(2 X $30) / 3 = $20

(3 X $30) / 5 = $18

There are a number of $24.99 HD-DVDs at Best Buy that I've been considering; the B3G2 is even nicer in this case, averaging only $14.99 per movie.

Patman
12-24-07, 06:33 PM
It's about 6.67% better (B3G2F over B2G1F) for like-priced items.

TheMovieman
12-24-07, 06:39 PM
Thought about going through the trouble of either asking them if I can do an adjustment (which could happen given they know me and have been flexible in the past) and buy one more and get one free or buying those same titles and then returning them with my old receipt, but I don't think I'll bother.

There are some $25 titles I might get so I'll just get those and use the RZ certificate I forgot to use the last time.

Sweet Baby James
12-24-07, 07:27 PM
I'm no rocket scientist, but buying 3 to get 2 free certainly seems like a better deal than buying 4 to get 2 free.:D

DVD Polizei
12-24-07, 08:58 PM
There are a number of $24.99 HD-DVDs at Best Buy that I've been considering; the B3G2 is even nicer in this case, averaging only $14.99 per movie.

B12G8! :banana:

Cosmic Bus
12-24-07, 09:54 PM
I see that Best Buy's B2G1 listing online limits the titles you can choose from, but there are several that I've never seen in any of their B&M stores (Out of Sight, Eternal Sunshine and Elizabeth caught my eye) and they're offering free shipping on them, as well. Curious to see if that particular aspect is around next week for the B3G2... I'll definitely go for that.

dvdfansub
12-25-07, 12:02 AM
The way to save $$ on these BxGx is to choose those titles at the lowest price and make them all the same, this way you'll end up with the lowest per disc cost.

WMAangel
12-25-07, 12:04 AM
Wow, I'm pretty shocked they are going to one-up their offer only a week later....you'd have thought they would have waited at least a week between deals and maybe have the buy 3 get 2 free deal beginning January 6th or 13th....they're going to have to expect lots of people (like myself) to come back a week later and return/rebuy their movies to get two more (paying for only one more additional) by running these sales back to back...with a week or two in between sales, I'm sure a bunch of "average" consumers would never take much notice to go back and increase their deals (meaning not people like us who check dvd deals forums incessantly!)....
I'll happily take 5 for $75 over 3 for $50 anyday...$15 per disc over $16.67 sounds like a winner to me....

kenbenobi
12-25-07, 11:36 AM
B12G8! :banana:
I'd prefer B8G12. After all, BB didn't get me anything for Christmas yet, so that would be a nice gift!

DVD Polizei
12-25-07, 05:28 PM
The way to save $$ on these BxGx is to choose those titles at the lowest price and make them all the same, this way you'll end up with the lowest per disc cost.

Indeed. I'd also expect Amazon to get on B1G1 Gravy Train, as they will probably open up their next sale to many more titles than before. I'm in a holding patter for that one.

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.2.0