Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Music Talk
Reload this Page >

So what's the next medium for music?

Community
Search
Music Talk Discuss music in all its forms: CD, MP3, DVD-A, SACD and of course live

Search this Thread

Old 12-21-07, 08:02 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Correct me if I'm wrong, but we pretty much have had this since the 1960s:

1960s --- Vinyl
1970s --- 8-track
1980s --- Cassette tapes
1990s --- CDs
2000s --- Digital files

What's on the horizon? Or are digital files here to stay?
Old 12-21-07, 08:25 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
depends on how tech goes

only reason digital files became so big is storage became cheap enough to make portable players with a lot of music. quality wise digital files are pretty crappy compared to CD's.

i still prefer CD's since i can always reimport my music if the PC crashes or if i upgrade or whatever. with digital there is a new store every month and they are not all compatible with each other
Old 12-21-07, 08:47 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Maybe I should've put this in Music Talk. Decisions, decisions...
Old 12-21-07, 01:29 PM
Dan
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,184 Likes on 836 Posts
HD DVD Audio.

(at least, that's what I'm hoping for...)
Old 12-21-07, 02:55 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by SomethingMore
HD DVD Audio.

(at least, that's what I'm hoping for...)
It'll be right up there with SACD & DVD-Audio. As in, practically non-existant (after lots of expensive & extensive hype for a medium that is not enough of an improvement over the current disc-based system to warrant a NEW disc-based system).
Old 12-21-07, 02:56 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Location: Bartertown due to it having a better economy than where I really live.
Received 18 Likes on 12 Posts
cds are digital
Old 12-21-07, 03:11 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

mp3's will just go away when storage becomes cheap enough to store lossless audio instead og compressing everything down so we can have quantity.

uncompressed audio on a 6tb Nano
Old 12-21-07, 03:11 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 21 Likes on 8 Posts
you ever seen those toothbrushes they have now? ToothTunes or something? You press the bristles on your teeth and the vibration pouts the music in your head. That's the next big thing probably.

Not the toothbrush...but the piping music straight into your head.
Old 12-21-07, 04:50 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by DaveWadding
you ever seen those toothbrushes they have now? ToothTunes or something? You press the bristles on your teeth and the vibration pouts the music in your head. That's the next big thing probably.

Not the toothbrush...but the piping music straight into your head.
i honestly can't think of a better follow-up than that.
Old 12-21-07, 05:00 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 30 Likes on 19 Posts
The next big thing is already just arriving - you won't buy songs or albums, you'll just pay one subscription fee and have a massive library at your fingertips. Why own a dozen or even a a couple hundred albums, when for $12.95/month you can have every song ever recorded? That's gonna be the future; "owning" music will be obsolete....
Old 12-21-07, 06:17 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I predict 8-track will make a comeback!
Old 12-21-07, 11:14 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Phonograph cylinders.
Old 12-22-07, 11:53 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by [email protected]
The next big thing is already just arriving - you won't buy songs or albums, you'll just pay one subscription fee and have a massive library at your fingertips. Why own a dozen or even a a couple hundred albums, when for $12.95/month you can have every song ever recorded? That's gonna be the future; "owning" music will be obsolete....
....and that's when I'll quit buying music entirely.
Old 12-22-07, 01:49 PM

Our university basically has something like this, minus the subscription fee (which they're subsidizing for us with no option to opt-out -- thanks for spending my money for me, jackasses.) The DRM makes it incredibly aggravating to use.

"You want to transfer your song to your MP3 player? Sure, just subscribe to our optional portable player 'service charge'."

"Third-party media player software? What's that? Here, have some pop-up ads instead." (One of the first things I did after installing their client software was block their adserver.)

"What's a Mac?"

"Sure, you can have the right to play that song -- for 30 days. Then you have to get a new license for it, so cross your fingers that our license server isn't down when that time comes."

"Oh, you wanted to renew a song that we don't offer anymore? Here, let me delete your local copy for you."

"Search by song title and artist? Don't be silly."

No way I'd willingly pay $13 a month for this kind of "service".
Old 12-23-07, 01:32 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 221 Likes on 177 Posts
Uncompressed audio files, which still falls in the "digital files" category. I guess I don't have the foresight to see what will come next.
Old 12-23-07, 07:06 AM
Banned by request

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Eventually we'll just have to have all of the artists and musicians at the beck and call of every person who wants to hear them, so they can hear a live performance every time.

Seriously, though, I think digital will stick around for quite a long time. And Toad's timeline is a little wrong. It really should read more like:

Vinyl: 1920's-1980's
Cassette: 1980's
CDs: 1990's-2000's
Digital Files: 2000's

8-track was really more of a blip on the radar than anything, with most of its applications being niche, and its popularity with the general public was quite short. Vinyl has been the dominant form of releasing recorded music for most of the 20th century, and is still being produced in quantity today, although its popularity has waned. Interestingly, people are now beginning to return to vinyl, finding a warmth (whether perceived or real is up for debate) in the playback that CDs and digital files do not possess, or so is the claim.

I think we'll see either a move towards uncompressed digital files or lossless files (files that are compressed, but when played back are indistinguishable from the master) such as FLAC. Given the ease of transmission and playback of digital files, I simply don't see a technology coming along that will be a serious contender. The worry here is that, as someone above posted, this system will be co-opted into subscription services that offer massive catalogues for a monthly fee. As far as I'm concerned, they're just a scam. First, as mentioned above, would be compatibility and DRM problems. Second, if you should ever stop paying, you lose access to all of that music. Third, the chances of these databases really have a truly expansive list of recordings (i.e. different recordings of various classical and symphonic pieces) is probably nil. Luckily, I highly doubt that this will ever become the dominant form of music distribution.
Old 12-23-07, 10:31 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 481 Likes on 353 Posts
I'll always want something physical for music storage. Something (relatively) permanent. CD's are great that way - they clearly are durable, which makes them superior to digital file storage on a computer or MP3 player/Ipod. What happens to your collection if your hard drive crashes or your MP3 player/Ipod breaks? You have no collection at that point, and a lot of money wasted if you paid for downloads.

I bought records in the 70's and 80's, switched to CD in 1987 and will stay with the format into the forseeable future. I would go for a higher sampling rate CD format if it became widespread and was affordable, but the new CD/DVD Audio formats were just botched from the beginning from a marketing standpoint and they've pretty much died. Nice. I was actually hoping that they'd succeed, but I suspected all along that they wouldn't. Joe Sixpack can't hear the difference...

But I'll never go for music file downloads and storage on my computer. I've had a computer go down with hundreds of free music files lost, and I won't have that happen with files that I actually pay for.
Old 12-23-07, 10:46 AM
Mod Emeritus

Brain interface?
Old 12-23-07, 01:26 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 31 Likes on 24 Posts
"(after lots of expensive & extensive hype for a medium that is not enough of an improvement over the current disc-based system to warrant a NEW disc-based system)."

Bullshit, quality had nothing to do with it. The complete and utter lack of music is what killed it, simple as that really. Not an improvement....dude get better gear.
Old 12-23-07, 01:59 PM
Banned

...and that leads to another point; I have been a musician for over 30 years, and I don't WANT to buy any more fucking audio gear of any kind. The stuff I have is good enough (which is the same reason why I refuse to go HD-DVD or Blu-Ray as well). If you hear a difference that you're willing to shell out bigger bucks to hear, more power to ya. But A/V wise, I'm pretty satisfied with where I am at right now. I don't WANT the next big fucking thing. I have everything I want already. And I'm not alone.
Old 12-23-07, 04:23 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I know I would subscribe but only if no DRM. Every label and artist would have to be on the same service and I would have to be able to continue to use the music even when my subscription isn't active. Otherwise I will stick to buying the occasional CD.
Old 12-23-07, 09:18 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by innocentfreak
I know I would subscribe but only if no DRM. Every label and artist would have to be on the same service and I would have to be able to continue to use the music even when my subscription isn't active. Otherwise I will stick to buying the occasional CD.
You're absolutely right in what you would require from such a service. But it won't happen. The industry is so f'n greedy that it will not work together like that until it's too late, if at all. And it may be far too late already, after the internet P2P boom of the last 10 years or so.

And the DVD industry is about to find this out with their "format war"....it's not "win-able".
Old 12-24-07, 12:05 AM
Banned by request

I don't see what the format war has to do with music distribution.
Old 12-24-07, 12:21 AM
Banned

SACD vs DVD-Audio....both are obsolete, for all intents and purposes....nuff said.
Old 12-24-07, 02:17 AM
Banned by request

SACD and DVD-A never even got the level HD and BD are already at. Also, by the point those formats came out, people had already migrated to large collections of portable music. They wanted stuff they could listen to in the car, at the gym, etc. They weren't about to migrate back to sitting down in the living room to listen to music. It was never destined to happen. Most people still sit down to watch their movies, and as they get HDTV's, will look for more HD content to use on those TV's. So it's not a very good comparison at all, sorry.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.