DVD Talk
Blade Runner- $24.00 (HD/BD) at Borders with coupon. Today and tomorrow only. [Archive] - DVD Talk Forum

PDA

View Full Version : Blade Runner- $24.00 (HD/BD) at Borders with coupon. Today and tomorrow only.

DrAndonuts
12-18-07, 03:40 PM
Hey guys, this will work with any box set, but I used it on Blade Runner today. 24.00 plus tax is the best I've seen this one go for.

You've got to be a Borders Rewards member, but it's free, so no biggy.

http://www.bordersmedia.com/coup/coup40dvd1217.htm

EDIT: This also works on the Ultimate Edition, that'll be 60.00. Not really worth it for me, but it might for some.

myrdh
12-18-07, 03:43 PM
Thanks. Will stop by tonight.

bluetoast
12-18-07, 03:45 PM
Oh HELL yeah. Thank you Andonuts, you're the man. Maybe I'll pick up another box set tomorrow.

milkdog
12-18-07, 04:50 PM
Finally, a great B&M price. I'm not a rewards member. According to their site I need to pick up a card in a store and register the card online. Can I do this all in the store at the same time I apply the rewards coupon for a purchase or is it going to take two trips? (I don't have a portable way of getting on the Net.)

http://beta.bordersstores.com/online/store/BRLandingView?langId=-1&storeId=13551&catalogId=10001

bluetoast
12-18-07, 05:32 PM
Went to Borders, it didn't ring up as a box set so no dice on the coupon. I'll try again at another location tonight. I did get this (http://images.barnesandnoble.com/images/14080000/14085567.JPG) for $35 so all in all a good trip.

jeffkjoe
12-18-07, 05:39 PM
Can anyone else who tried this confirm whether or not this worked?

TimS
12-18-07, 07:40 PM
I had no issues purchasing the ultimate edition on hddvd using the coupon.

pogo
12-18-07, 07:50 PM
Finally, a great B&M price. I'm not a rewards member. According to their site I need to pick up a card in a store and register the card online. Can I do this all in the store at the same time I apply the rewards coupon for a purchase or is it going to take two trips? (I don't have a portable way of getting on the Net.)

http://beta.bordersstores.com/online/store/BRLandingView?langId=-1&storeId=13551&catalogId=10001

Yes, you can do it all in 1 trip. They have computers there that you can use to register the card online.

bluetoast
12-18-07, 08:05 PM
All right, it worked for me at the other location, the person had to do a manual override to use the coupon though. I paid $25.xx + $1.75 for parking...so I saved over the Amazon price, good deal.

DVD NDN
12-18-07, 08:20 PM
Didn't work but she said "5 disks! I'm going to count that as a box set."
And then manually overrode the price.

MrPink
12-18-07, 08:35 PM
I know this isn't the talk thread but it is getting more activity. Is there any difference between the 5 disc HD set and the HD briefcase edition?

MikeShaynePI
12-18-07, 08:45 PM
I'd definitely buy the blu-ray edition, as my Amazon order is backordered. Of course like no store in Los Angeles has it according to their inventory, so I guess I wont.

DirkBelig
12-18-07, 09:03 PM
This is for the 5-disc HD/BD version? Effing Amazon won't be shipping until next week and even with tax, it's cheaper at B&M stores! I was just there picking up Dead Like Me S2. Dangit!!!! Back tomorrow.

FangsFirst
12-18-07, 09:10 PM
I'd definitely buy the blu-ray edition, as my Amazon order is backordered. Of course like no store in Los Angeles has it according to their inventory, so I guess I wont.
Most stores are not getting it until tomorrow, thanks to awesome Warner Bros. shipping.

DrAndonuts
12-18-07, 09:24 PM
The differences between the Ultimate and Normal 5-disc are pretty minimal. You get a unicorn figurine, Deckard's car model, a briefcase, and a film strip. I think you get a letter from Ridley Scott, too. Not worth an extra 35+ bucks, IMO.

Jah-Wren Ryel
12-18-07, 09:36 PM
Isn't the briefcase made out of paper or some other non-briefcase material?

Sid Ceaser
12-18-07, 09:44 PM
Isn't the briefcase made out of paper or some other non-briefcase material?

Its made out of a really impressive solid weighty plastic.

FangsFirst
12-18-07, 10:09 PM
Its made out of a really impressive solid weighty plastic.
And legitimately locks, too!

MikeShaynePI
12-18-07, 10:12 PM
And legitimately locks, too!
But it doesn't make little snap sounds when you press the buttons.

I guess I'll check tomorrow to see if they get the Blu-ray version.

ryuryu2949
12-18-07, 10:15 PM
Is the Ridley Scott letter autographed?

MikeShaynePI
12-18-07, 10:44 PM
It has his signature on it, but it's just a copy.

pinata242
12-18-07, 10:48 PM
I'm sure this info is in the other 5,000 Blade Runner threads, but I'm too drunk to look right now... Is there any difference between the HD and BR versions?

bluetoast
12-18-07, 10:51 PM

In the same way that this is autographed. -wink-

http://www.dvdone.ch/img/cover/10108_big.jpg

Pizza
12-18-07, 11:06 PM
First, thanks OP for the info. Amazon was sitting on my order so I was happy to go to Borders. I did get one, but Borders could have made it a little easier. I went to store number one who didn't have it. They call store number two that does but refuse to put it aside because it's a part of the coupon sale. Give me a break. I'm not calling from home, I'm standing inside another Borders store trying to make a purchase. They still had it when I got there but it sort of sucked making me hustle from one store to the other with the chance of it being gone.

Havok83
12-18-07, 11:38 PM
I'm sure this info is in the other 5,000 Blade Runner threads, but I'm too drunk to look right now... Is there any difference between the HD and BR versions?
just the color of the packaging

FangsFirst
12-19-07, 07:39 AM
First, thanks OP for the info. Amazon was sitting on my order so I was happy to go to Borders. I did get one, but Borders could have made it a little easier. I went to store number one who didn't have it. They call store number two that does but refuse to put it aside because it's a part of the coupon sale. Give me a break. I'm not calling from home, I'm standing inside another Borders store trying to make a purchase. They still had it when I got there but it sort of sucked making me hustle from one store to the other with the chance of it being gone.
That was directly stated to all of us--we are not allowed to put DVD box sets on hold during this sale. Sorry, yeah, it sucks, but if we make those exceptions, we'll end up with people in the store trying to use it and unable to find anything they want because someone put something on hold who may or may not be coming in to get it. Yes, some people are definitely coming in, but drawing a line that shaky is dangerous--who are the guaranteed ones? who do we KNOW won't flake out?

Pizza
12-19-07, 08:06 AM
but if we make those exceptions, we'll end up with people in the store trying to use it and unable to find anything they want because someone put something on hold who may or may not be coming in to get it.
I can't agree. I already made the effort to be "in the store." I"m there, in person. I'm being penalized because I guessed wrong to which location to go to first. I checked www.borderstores.com before I left the house and only two stores showed having the item. And, yes, I know that the list is no guarantee to be right, but the point I'm making is I made every effort on my end to go to a Borders that had the item. They should have saved it. It's still a happy ending and I still love Borders but the policy needs to be changed for customers who are walking in the door and not calling from home.

Bob330i
12-19-07, 11:48 AM
I would agree. Hold it for an hour isn't going to kill a sale of one box set. Even TRU holds stuff and they're typically not customer friendly.

ctyankee
12-19-07, 04:08 PM
I would agree. Hold it for an hour isn't going to kill a sale of one box set. Even TRU holds stuff and they're typically not customer friendly.

While I understand FangsFirst point, no policy is going to be perfect. That's when common sense needs to be used.

Hold an item for someone coming from another store IS common sense.

MikeShaynePI
12-19-07, 04:08 PM
Most stores are not getting it until tomorrow, thanks to awesome Warner Bros. shipping.
Apparently not, as still no store has it.

DirkBelig
12-19-07, 04:22 PM
I just checked in Grosse Pointe, MI and their truck hadn't come in at 3 pm. Yeesh. They're doing this to screw with me, aren't they?!? ;)

UPDATE: I just called for an update and they said that they don't consider it a box set and thus won't apply the coupon. (They implied the suitcase version might qualify.) I tried arguing that with five discs and cuts of the movie it certainly walked, quacked and swam like a box set and other locations were giving the discount and the old biddy just said, "It doesn't show as a box set in our system."

:johnwoo2: FARGING BASTAGES!!!! :chainsaw:

Of course this wouldn't be such a big deal if frakking Amazon was able to ship sometime sooner than TWO WEEKS AFTER STREET DATE. Losers. :thmbsdwn:

Shagrath
12-19-07, 05:54 PM
I picked up the 5-disc HD-DVD set today with the discount no problem. It was in the case with the other box sets, but I didn't even have to mention that. The cashier just went ahead and docked it down to the $24. I've never seen Blade Runner, so I'm probably in for a treat.

tofferman
12-19-07, 06:56 PM
Don't trust the Borders website inventory system when checking to see if your nearby Borders does have any of the various releases for this set. One rep told me their online system is about 72 hours behind the actual stores inventory. My Borders (Redmond, WA) only had the Briefcase set for SD-DVD though it did state they had the HD set in stock.

I hope FangsFirst is right in that most Borders have yet to receive the HD set for sale.

wakwak007
12-19-07, 07:33 PM
The Borders in Altamonte Springs, Fl. I was informed had an HD-DVD copy however Blade Runner was not applicable with the 40% coupon. The salesperson even checked with the manager for me.

FangsFirst
12-19-07, 07:39 PM
Don't trust the Borders website inventory system when checking to see if your nearby Borders does have any of the various releases for this set. One rep told me their online system is about 72 hours behind the actual stores inventory. My Borders (Redmond, WA) only had the Briefcase set for SD-DVD though it did state they had the HD set in stock.

I hope FangsFirst is right in that most Borders have yet to receive the HD set for sale.

Like I said, I can't speak for all stores, but mine got in both the briefcase and the HD version today. I think the BR might never have arrived, though--I was tearing through the shipment quickly as that second email seemed to kick some people in the butt.

as far as hold for an hour--do you know how difficult it would be to hold items for a period of time like that? We'd have to put timers on each item! I say that just in a very POLITE sense of "imagine having to deal with that!" (if that isn't coming across as that in the first place, as I'm having trouble phrasing it in a way that sounds as nice as I mean it)

I mean, yes, there's common sense, and I can see your points--honestly--but it becomes so difficult to correctly enforce hold policies one way or another as is, that during a blitzing sale like this, we are swamped from minute one (at least in my store) and trying to keep track of holds would be impossible and screw over the people trying to get into our store--who are often too late as is, nevermind if the item is hanging out on hold. So it's really kind of drawing a line in the sand that is more clear than 1 hr--that would get vague, and we'd have 80 people waiting for that item not to be picked up by Joe McPublic from the other store and--well basically it would get messy and complex if you deviated from regular holds.

It's much simpler to say "yes" or "no" vs. "yes, but with these new provisos..." exceptions can be made on a store level of course, but that's up to store management.

PS:
The BR/HD version really ISN'T coded as a box set in our systems. People are overriding based on # of discs, but most of the time single movies (no matter how many discs) are not counted as sets (eg: West Side Story, which even looks like a box)...unfortunately none of these things are standardized. Alas, you guys have people hardlining even more than I do (apologies--I am one who refuses holds for these sales, period! so I am a villain in that sense :S)

DirkBelig
12-19-07, 08:20 PM
I checked back in person and they STILL hadn't gotten any versions in. Gawd, I hate Border's. Bunch of Commies and they always seem to only hire the angriest feminists available. Sorry that I interrupted your underlining of relevant passages in your dog-eared copy of "The Bell Jar", but could you check if something's in stock?

dx23
12-19-07, 08:27 PM
The Borders here have changed their tendency of hiring inept managers and angry emo employees. Now their clerks always take their time to make sure that the customer gets the best deal available and the other employees are very helpful in getting the items you are looking for. Too bad that the prices are still retail prices, but as for customer service, they have improved, at least in my area.

jeffrey r
12-19-07, 09:42 PM
Borders in NYC had two HD-DVD briefcases and one of the 5-disc HD-DVDs. Alas, my order from Amazon entered 'shipping soon' today, so I didn't buy the 5-disc set. But they had it.

Legolas
12-19-07, 09:51 PM
Is the bordersmedia.com site good for determining stock? Because it's telling me my entire state has no Blade Runner in hi def.

jones
12-19-07, 10:05 PM
No dice at my Borders. They wouldn't sell me the 5 disc HD DVD copy they had for 40% off.
It was marked $39.99 but rang up as $29.99 (25% off)? All DVD box sets were 20% off acording to numerous signs in the store.
Can someone explain to me the method behind this pricing???

Randy Miller III
12-20-07, 08:12 AM
I'm beginning to doubt the HD-DVD 5-disc set even exists---at the half-dozen stores I've been to so far, that's the only version unaccounted for. What's more frustrating is that the Borders clerk said that it probably sold quickly due to being 40% off. :mad:

Pizza
12-20-07, 08:27 AM
as far as hold for an hour--do you know how difficult it would be to hold items for a period of time like that? We'd have to put timers on each item! I say that just in a very POLITE sense of "imagine having to deal with that!" (if that isn't coming across as that in the first place, as I'm having trouble phrasing it in a way that sounds as nice as I mean it)
I understand your viewpoint, but my point is you should take the extra step for customers that made the effort to come into the store. When one store calls another store, in essence, you're holding the item for the other store, not for someone calling from the comfort of home. I agree that putting timers on items is ridiculous. So, hold the item for the evening. I would imagine the majority coming from another store will, indeed, be showing up. If this is really all about "Joe McPublic" showing up or not, then have them pay for it at store number 1. I'd be for that. In any case, it was a suggestion. As I stated, I love Borders and I did get my item.
and we'd have 80 people waiting for that item not to be picked up by Joe McPublic from the other store and--well basically it would get messy and complex if you deviated from regular holds.
Is that what those 80 people were doing when I went to pick up my DVD? ;) I'm not sure why this would not be considered a regular hold, but whatever. I didn't tear up my Border's card. I wasn't happy that evening for having to race to another store and simply wanted to state my feelings. I greatly enjoy shopping there. I was just pointing out something that I felt would make shopping there better.

jones
12-20-07, 10:06 AM
I'm beginning to doubt the HD-DVD 5-disc set even exists---at the half-dozen stores I've been to so far, that's the only version unaccounted for. What's more frustrating is that the Borders clerk said that it probably sold quickly due to being 40% off. :mad:

I had the 5 disc HD DVD version in my hand but the would not honor the coupon.

HDTVGCL
12-20-07, 10:52 AM
Still not in stock at local Borders BUT they do have NOW a 30% anything coupon (no price restrictions). Can't deny that one this time.

Randy Miller III
12-20-07, 10:55 AM
Yeah, that's what prompted me to share.
If only our superpowers could've combined... :D

RichC2
12-20-07, 10:56 AM

Our Best Buy had lots of the 5 disc HD-DVD.

tofferman
12-20-07, 11:16 AM

I had it in my hand at Best Buy on Tuesday, but wasn't going to spend $34.99 when it can be obtained from Amazon and others for $27.99...and possibly a bit cheaper elsewhere with a coupon.

jdpatri
12-20-07, 12:18 PM

:shrug:

The HD-DVD 5-disc was the only hi-def version available at my Borders... and a very nice clerk took the 40% off for me. Apparently the system registers the the hi-def versions as box sets but not the regular DVD set. She just assumed it was because of the price, but she was happy to give me the discount even though she admitted the distinction didn't make any sense.

FangsFirst
12-20-07, 12:37 PM
If this is really all about "Joe McPublic" showing up or not, then have them pay for it at store number 1. I'd be for that. In any case, it was a suggestion. As I stated, I love Borders and I did get my item.

We actually weren't supposed to take phone orders either, but that's the kind of thing we're more likely to relax--we weren't throwing it out at my store (otherwise we'd have someone needing to be staffed at the phone at the registers all day, which is nuts) but if someone brought it up with us--we were down with that. I actually rang up the Johnny Cash show for someone over the phone from another store, no trouble. If anything DOES happen like this in the future, I'd recommend giving that a shot--if they're hardliners to the core, they may still give it a no-go, since we weren't supposed to, but yeah, there you are.

The funny thing is, they've been telling us to be REASONABLY relaxed about what we'll accept with coupons. Not a ton of expired ones or people using three on their purchase or anything, but, say, swinging a 5 disc HD set really should've been something these stores would allow...sorry to you lot who did not get that treatment though :\

I'm not sure why this would not be considered a regular hold, but whatever. I didn't tear up my Border's card. I wasn't happy that evening for having to race to another store and simply wanted to state my feelings. I greatly enjoy shopping there. I was just pointing out something that I felt would make shopping there better.
Hey! I'm just trying to get you to appreciate our motivation ;)
It's all a store level thing though, sooo yeah...

dx23
12-20-07, 03:48 PM

Did they give a reason why? The coupon didn't mention any exclusion to HD or Blu-Ray set.

dx23
12-20-07, 03:50 PM

For some reason, the HD briefcase was the only one that arrived at the 3 Puerto Rico Borders stores. No blu-Ray or standard case. I picked up the HD case and then went to Costco to purchase the HD player.

tofferman
12-20-07, 04:58 PM
Bought the HD 5 disc set using the 30% off coupon. Being an Oregon resident (no sales tax) enabled me to buy it for $27.99...the same price as Amazon.

TheKing
12-20-07, 05:57 PM
Still not in stock at local Borders BUT they do have NOW a 30% anything coupon (no price restrictions). Can't deny that one this time.

Where is this coupon?

Sweet Baby James
12-20-07, 06:08 PM
Where is this coupon?

www.bordersmedia.com/coup/savingspass40.htm

whotony
12-20-07, 09:00 PM
today and tomorrow only ....
how about dates in titles and not days.

jones
12-20-07, 10:54 PM
Did they give a reason why? The coupon didn't mention any exclusion to HD or Blu-Ray set.

Her answer was "Box sets are usually TV shows. But sometimes movies. But mostly TV shows".
She pulled that one directly from her ass. I was going to get the Brotherhood of the Wolf box set instead but it was busy and no one would open the glass case.
BTW, why can't they label the freakin' price tags so they are visible through the freakin' glass. This has always irked me.

DirkBelig
12-21-07, 06:52 AM
I would use the 30% off coupon, but my fraking Amazon order shipped y'day. Maybe next weekend, I'll be able to watch it. Grrrr.

FangsFirst
12-21-07, 03:02 PM
Her answer was "Box sets are usually TV shows. But sometimes movies. But mostly TV shows".
She pulled that one directly from her ass. I was going to get the Brotherhood of the Wolf box set instead but it was busy and no one would open the glass case.
BTW, why can't they label the freakin' price tags so they are visible through the freakin' glass. This has always irked me.
because the same stickers are used for books (and were used for books first), and bookstores are designed for more browsing...so, no GOOD explanation for that one, but there it is...

orion1998_1
12-21-07, 04:01 PM
no stores near me, whats the next cheapest price?

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.2.0