Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Leatherheads - Clooney/Zellweger/Krasinski

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Search this Thread

Old 12-15-07, 09:20 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Old school football...here's the trailer:
http://www.megavideo.com/?v=UQMNZ4NJ
Old 12-15-07, 10:05 PM

Received 61 Likes on 39 Posts
Looks like it could be fun, but I couldn't help noticing that a lot of the ideas were stolen from "Bull Durham."
Old 12-15-07, 10:41 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Sweet - I saw part of this being filmed (Anderson, SC). I'll be checking it out if only for that reason.
Old 12-16-07, 01:40 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 64 Likes on 46 Posts
Looks pretty good. I'd see it.
Old 12-16-07, 03:06 PM
DVD Talk Godfather & 2020 TOTY Winner

Received 6,199 Likes on 4,226 Posts
Good trailer. I'd definitely go. Of course, in the interest of full disclosure, I do have a little man-crush on Clooney. He's amazingly cool.
Old 01-19-08, 09:40 PM
Video Game Talk Editor

Originally Posted by Brent L
Sweet - I saw part of this being filmed (Anderson, SC). I'll be checking it out if only for that reason.
Same here. A scene was filmed right across the street from me and I spotted Zellweger in the nearby Starbucks a couple times.
Old 01-19-08, 09:53 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Flay
Same here. A scene was filmed right across the street from me and I spotted Zellweger in the nearby Starbucks a couple times.
Wow, there sure are a lot of Upstate SC people on here.

Renee gave food to a homeless person on the street in front of my office. I also heard she was a fixture at the Starbucks.
Old 01-20-08, 12:18 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 191 Likes on 128 Posts
Wow, If the trailer bored me that much....I'd hate to see what would happen to me if I had to sit through it at the theater. I'll pass.
Old 01-20-08, 04:10 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

This project has been floating around for a long time. I remember Jon Favreau talking about scripting and starring in it maybe 10 years ago.
Old 04-05-08, 08:52 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
George Clooney stars and directs this tale revolving around the beginnings of pro football in 1925. Tonally, this film never found its groove. At times, it wanted to channel the old fashion snappy reparte between possible romantic leads, Dodge (Clooney) and Lexi (Renee Zellwegger), a newspaper reporter on the trail of the real story of war hero and college football star Carter Rutherford. In other spots, the hunt for the truth about Carter just isn't all that interesting. John Krasinski plays Carter, who gets recruited to forego his final college year to play pro football with Dodge's team, the Duluth Bulldogs, and is trying to salvage pro football, the game he loves to play for a living.

There are some laughs here and there, and it's a pleasant enough movie, very light-hearted at its core, harkening back to films of yesteryear for its inspiration. Don't expect anything more.

I give it 2.5 stars, or a grade of C+.
Old 04-05-08, 10:48 PM
Banned

I wonder how the movie does it the box-office in it's 1st week.
It will show where Clooney's star power is.
Old 04-07-08, 11:30 AM
Cool New Member

My Dad Saw This Movie He Said He Was Ok Not Great But Ok
Old 04-07-08, 11:41 AM

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts
Originally Posted by Patman
George Clooney stars and directs this tale revolving around the beginnings of pro football in 1925. Tonally, this film never found its groove. At times, it wanted to channel the old fashion snappy reparte between possible romantic leads, Dodge (Clooney) and Lexi (Renee Zellwegger), a newspaper reporter on the trail of the real story of war hero and college football star Carter Rutherford. In other spots, the hunt for the truth about Carter just isn't all that interesting. John Krasinski plays Carter, who gets recruited to forego his final college year to play pro football with Dodge's team, the Duluth Bulldogs, and is trying to salvage pro football, the game he loves to play for a living.

There are some laughs here and there, and it's a pleasant enough movie, very light-hearted at its core, harkening back to films of yesteryear for its inspiration. Don't expect anything more.

I give it 2.5 stars, or a grade of C+.
the major problem is that there's very little of a plot, stretched to nearly two hours, not much seems to happen
Old 04-07-08, 12:34 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Right, the screenplay is the weak point of the film.
Old 04-13-08, 11:34 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 913 Likes on 648 Posts
Saw it tonight and have to disagree with the above posters, it was great. From the opening credits to casting to Randy Newman's score. Everything was great. Clooney's directing is a little rough around the edges, but works well enough for a film about football. I'm not a fan of Zellweger but I thought she worked well in this film.

The only thing I was disappointed in was the lack of development of the supporting cast. You basically have four characters in the film, Cloony, Zellweger, Krasinski & Pryce. Clooney even goes as far to have still shots of the supporting cast during the final credits, but what do I care? I couldn't even tell you any of their names they had such tiny roles. Stephen Root had a couple of great scenes but that's about it.

By the looks of this thread and the fact there were only 6 of us in the theater, looks like this movie tanked already. A shame too, Clooney did a great job.
Old 04-14-08, 09:49 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

What a piece of crap... the screwball parts work well, but the other 60% of the movie is plodding and slow...could have been really great with a rewrite and tightening...the cast was good, just a pretty shitty movie.
Old 04-14-08, 11:20 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts
Thought the screenplay was weak & the pacing way off. But it did have its "heh heh" moments.
Old 09-29-08, 07:56 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I never did see this in theaters, it wasn't around long at all, so I have it on order on Blu-ray.

Would I be correct in thinking that this flick has the same type of "feel" as Down With Love? I get the same vibe from the trailer that I got from DWL. And yes, I do like DWL, so if they have anything in common I'll likely love Leatherheads. :-p
Old 03-07-09, 12:25 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Re: Leatherheads - Clooney/Zellweger/Krasinski

Clooney is good as always, and he did have nice chemistry with Zellweger. However, the dialogue was supposed to be the screwball comedy with the quick lines, but it just wasn't clever enough. When the script concentrated solely on football, it was rather boring and when it was about Krasinski's phony war exploits, it was terrible.

And Zellweger's face annoys me.