Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

A Clockwork Orange should be remade

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Search this Thread

Old 12-14-07, 01:44 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Now hear me out. There's a great story there. Truly great. I'm not terribly concerned with staying true to the book or anything like that (Honestly, I haven't read it). I think the characters and plot should be translated to a near future world. There's so much commentary there about political parties using Alex for their own gain. There's a lot to be said about ethics behind the methods involved in the experiment to make a person less prone to violence.

Take away all the perverted sex stuff in the movie (except the set decoration of milk bar that's awesome!) and have it focus more on Alex and less on his gang.

I think all the ingredients are there for an amazing film. Though I suppose having a murderer/rapist as your main protagonist doesn't bode too well with the studios. I say in the right hands it could be great.
Old 12-14-07, 01:53 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I could see a possibility of making one, but I don't think anyone could top Malcolm McDowells performance and narroration.
Old 12-14-07, 02:57 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts
disagree...its perfect the way it is why remake it?
Old 12-14-07, 06:05 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by PopcornTreeCt
I think all the ingredients are there for an amazing film.
You're right. In fact, it's already been made.
Old 12-14-07, 06:07 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
it's already a PERFECT movie. no need for a remake or re-imagining whatsoever.
Old 12-14-07, 06:19 AM
Suspended

Remake it, and I will boycott the production studio involved FOREVER.

Serious.

E
Old 12-14-07, 06:23 AM
Banned

I say it's already great.
FIXED
Old 12-14-07, 08:16 AM

The day Kubrick movies start getting remade is the day I give up on cinema.

And before anyone mentions Lolita or The Shining, the former came out in 1962 and was held back by censorship and the latter was remade as a TV miniseries which doesn't count IMO. Plus The Shining is one of Kubrick's most flawed films, so I'd let that one slide anyway.
Old 12-14-07, 08:23 AM

It may be one of this flawed films, but it's still a friggin' fantastic film.
Old 12-14-07, 08:25 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Why would you take away the perverted sex stuff? Isn't that really a major theme to the movie? The youth having this weird, completely violent, different view on sexual issues?
Old 12-14-07, 08:37 AM

Originally Posted by LivingINClip
It may be one of this flawed films, but it's still a friggin' fantastic film.
I don't know if I'd say it's fantastic. But it's one I can watch(at least most of) over and over again. You can say that about pretty much every Kubrick film.

A Clockwork Orange is damn near perfect though. In fact, I'm trying to think of a single flaw and nothing comes to mind.
Old 12-14-07, 08:49 AM

If they remade this, I'd send my droogies after the director and everyone else involved.
Old 12-14-07, 09:08 AM

Originally Posted by Lastdaysofrain
Why would you take away the perverted sex stuff? Isn't that really a major theme to the movie? The youth having this weird, completely violent, different view on sexual issues?
It needs to be PC for today's audience. We can't have any sexual issues, not PC enough.

Basically, just go ahead and butcher the film. That's the only way to remake it with the way films are today.
Old 12-14-07, 09:08 AM

Originally Posted by TheMadMonk
If they remade this, I'd send my droogies after the director and everyone else involved.
"SHUT YOUR BLEEDING HOLE!!!"
Old 12-14-07, 09:10 AM
Suspended; also need updated email

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts
no remake, sequel ok
Old 12-14-07, 09:20 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts
Now hear me out. There's a great story there. Truly great. I'm not terribly concerned with staying true to the book or anything like that (Honestly, I haven't read it). I think the characters and plot should be translated to a near future world. There's so much commentary there about political parties using Alex for their own gain. There's a lot to be said about ethics behind the methods involved in the experiment to make a person less prone to violence.

Take away all the perverted sex stuff in the movie (except the set decoration of milk bar that's awesome!) and have it focus more on Alex and less on his gang.

I think all the ingredients are there for an amazing film. Though I suppose having a murderer/rapist as your main protagonist doesn't bode too well with the studios. I say in the right hands it could be great.
For the most part, everything you describe is in the original film. So I'm not sure why you want a remake. I guess you were put off my the sex stuff and just want that removed. But I'd argue that the film does focus on Alex as is. Saying it should focus less on the gang is a bit odd, since there's not that much focus to begin with on them.
Old 12-14-07, 09:24 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts
Abso-fucking-lutley not. This thread should be closed at even the mere suggestion of this.
Old 12-14-07, 09:58 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Just a horrible idea.
Old 12-14-07, 10:14 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 239 Likes on 175 Posts
I'd have to pass.
Old 12-14-07, 10:55 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
ACO should NEVER, EVER be remade. Remake all the horror films you want, but no one could EVER do a better job of making Clockwork than Kubrick did. And no one would , or will, ever do a better Alex than McDowell. Terrible idea.
Old 12-14-07, 11:02 AM
Banned

^WORD!. The young actors these days are almost universally terrible. I dont think one would be authentically capable of portraying a a kid in his mid-teens who is a rapist/killer.
Old 12-14-07, 12:38 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 264 Likes on 192 Posts

You should be banned for suggesting this.....

Ummm.... NO.

Just borrow some of the same elements and call it something else. Lots of movies do this.
Old 12-14-07, 12:41 PM

Why stop there?

Why not remake
Raging Bull, The Godfather, Alien, The Exorcist, Gone with The Wind, Ben Hur and of course, Citizen Kane as well?
Old 12-14-07, 01:10 PM

So you're the idiot who keeps buying tickets to these shitty remakes.
Old 12-14-07, 01:16 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 146 Likes on 93 Posts
Originally Posted by Rad14
Why not remake
Raging Bull, The Godfather, Alien, The Exorcist, Gone with The Wind, Ben Hur and of course, Citizen Kane as well?
I hate to break it to you, but...

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.