Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Shopping Discussions > Store Forum
Reload this Page >

Google checkout $10 off?

Community
Search
Store Forum Share Your Shopping Experiences at Stores both Online and Off.

Google checkout $10 off?

Search this Thread

Old 12-10-07, 08:21 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Google checkout $10 off?

I keep hearing about all these people using the google checkout $10 off deal again and again, but I've been unable to manage this more than once.

Just today I made two separate attempts to do this. I set up two different email acccounts earlier this morning and registered under these new emails at google checkout and at buy.com, and then placed an order for the new Blade Runner set. Google/buy.com then accepts my order and applies the $10 discount and sends me a confirmation email, but then around ten minutes later I get another email saying that my order's been cancelled because some "details could not be verified."

So what's the secret? Do you also need to use a different credit card that isn't already on record, or give them a different name? Or do you need to do this all from a different computer?

Last edited by Gypo66; 12-10-07 at 08:29 AM.
Old 12-10-07, 08:44 AM

Thanks for posting this great bargain!
Old 12-10-07, 09:00 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

are you using the same credit card or one you used with google checkout before. that would do it.
Old 12-10-07, 09:03 AM

Originally Posted by darthdelegate
Thanks for posting this great bargain!
Thanks again for that thread where you told us how you used a general 10% off coupon on the Seinfeld set when you shouldn't have been able to...
Old 12-10-07, 09:04 AM

Originally Posted by BuddhaWake
are you using the same credit card or one you used with google checkout before. that would do it.
By which BuddhaWake means "yes, you need to use a different card." People have been using the temporary "shopsafe" numbers than many credit card online services will generate for you.
Old 12-10-07, 10:56 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 74 Likes on 48 Posts
Sweet deal.
Old 12-10-07, 11:23 AM

Originally Posted by cdollaz
Sweet deal.
Very helpful and not redundant at all... The OP's question was one about a "deal," so I'm not sure why this forum is wholly inappropriate.
Old 12-10-07, 11:25 AM
Cool New Member

Question

What about e-mail addresses. I can easily generate any number of CC numbers ising Shopsafe, but how do people who use this over and over get an unlimited supply of e-mail addresses?
Old 12-10-07, 11:28 AM

Originally Posted by cccheel
What about e-mail addresses. I can easily generate any number of CC numbers ising Shopsafe, but how do people who use this over and over get an unlimited supply of e-mail addresses?
Try yahoo.com.

Last edited by excom101; 12-10-07 at 11:59 AM.
Old 12-10-07, 12:06 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I just bought something from Thenerds.net and got $5.00 off for using google checkout.
Old 12-10-07, 12:21 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Incredible. I finally thought I had this figured out, generated a temporary credit card number and another new email, went to buy.com and put Blade Runner in my cart -- only to discover that all of the sudden, for some mysterious reason, the site is no longer accepting google checkout for this item.
Old 12-10-07, 12:24 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
This is a link to all the current Google checkout promotions:

http://www.google.com/checkout/promotions.html
Old 12-10-07, 12:40 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
in order to use shop safe i need to open an account with bank of america and then get one of their credit cards?

i've been trying to use my discovercard, since i can create unlimited cc numbers there as well. it's worked once and then cancel, cancel, cancel.

if i've got to go through all the hassle of shop safe, is it going to get cancelled too?

and you can make as many email addresses as you want with gmail, yahoo, hotmail, etc.
Old 12-10-07, 12:41 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 74 Likes on 48 Posts
Originally Posted by excom101
Very helpful and not redundant at all... The OP's question was one about a "deal," so I'm not sure why this forum is wholly inappropriate.
Thanks. I try to help out when possible.
Old 12-10-07, 12:51 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Use a new email address each time, along with a different CC#. If you have PayPal, sign up for, or check in your account to see if it's active (go to profile, and look for PayPal Plug-In under the section where credit cards and the such are listed) - you'll be able to generate one-time-use (or multiple use, you can pick either one) virtual CC numbers.

That method has yet to not work for me.

Also, if you are going to place more than one order, just to be on the safe side, wait for one order to actually ship before placing a second order.
Old 12-10-07, 01:59 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Gypo66
Incredible. I finally thought I had this figured out, generated a temporary credit card number and another new email, went to buy.com and put Blade Runner in my cart -- only to discover that all of the sudden, for some mysterious reason, the site is no longer accepting google checkout for this item.
Google Checkout doesn't work (at most places) for pre-orders, regardless of whether or not you are using the $10-off bonus. You may have some small luck right before the item goes on sale. Sometimes Buy.com gets items in stock a day or so early and takes them off pre-order but retains the "pre-order" price. If you wait until the actual day that the title is supposed to go sale, the price will most likely increase.
Old 12-10-07, 02:11 PM
Suspended

Originally Posted by Brent L
Use a new email address each time, along with a different CC#. If you have PayPal, sign up for, or check in your account to see if it's active (go to profile, and look for PayPal Plug-In under the section where credit cards and the such are listed) - you'll be able to generate one-time-use (or multiple use, you can pick either one) virtual CC numbers.

That method has yet to not work for me.

Also, if you are going to place more than one order, just to be on the safe side, wait for one order to actually ship before placing a second order.

I've tried the whole bit, new CC#, new e-mail, hubby's name instead of mine, etc... nothing works. I got it to work only once. Oh well.
Old 12-10-07, 03:09 PM

yeah, i just tried the paypal thing and got cancelled again.

i tried using an email addy that i had been previously cancelled at. so i just tried again with a new email and a fresh, virtual cc #. fingers are officially crossed.
Old 12-10-07, 03:43 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by fitlissa76
I've tried the whole bit, new CC#, new e-mail, hubby's name instead of mine, etc... nothing works. I got it to work only once. Oh well.

I tried everything too, did new email and CC# too, and after an hour received yet another cancellation notice and a warning not to create multiple accounts.

I give up.
Old 12-10-07, 04:39 PM

cancelled, again.
Old 12-10-07, 04:55 PM
X
Administrator

Received 154 Likes on 124 Posts
YOUR MEMBERSHIP TO THE DVD TALK FORUM IS ALSO PREDICATED ON YOUR ADHERENCE TO THESE RULES. If you violate any of these rules your account will be suspended and you may be permanently banned from membership at our discretion:

ABSOLUTELY NO:

• Posting Information on how to defraud any company or promotion of any kind of illegal or unethical activity

http://www.dvdtalk.com/legal.html