Reload this Page >

DS / Wii games for wife - suggestions?

Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

Old 12-09-07, 10:06 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

After 8 years of marriage, my wife finally started playing games with me when I got a DS. I got her her own pink one a few months later. Then we got a Wii a while after that. She really likes puzzle games and has asked for some for Christmas. Unfortunately, aside from the Brain Age and Big Brain Academy series, I don't know what's out there.

I've seen the My Word Coach and Vision Training games, but I'm not sure how they'd be received. Any other suggestions?

She's also asked for a Wii game that she could play with our 3 year old. He can play Wii Sports boxing, but that's about it as far as I know. Does anyone know of any games that a 3 year old could take part in?

Thanks for any responses.
Old 12-09-07, 10:11 AM

Received 798 Likes on 521 Posts
Wii Play: My three year old loves shooting the targets and racing cows.

My wife loves games like Jewel Quest, Piccross, Clubhouse Games, Mario Party DS, Cooking Mama, Tetris DS, Planet Puzzle League, and a Animal Crossing: Wild World.

On the Wii, it's Carnival Games (which I don't like and refuse to play) and Mario Party 8.
Old 12-09-07, 10:18 AM
DVD Talk Legend

For the Wii:

Super Mario Galaxy might not be obvious, but it's really accessible, and the co-op second player would be perfect for a 3 year old. It's also the best game out on the Wii (or any current console) by a country mile.

Minigame collections like Rayman Raving Rabbids, Cooking Mama and WarioWare Smooth Moves are probably good bets. Same for Mario Party 8.

Zack and Wiki is apparently sort of a puzzle game and looks terrific.

For DS:

Terrific Puzzle Games: Tetris DS, Meteos, Planet Puzzle League, Magnetica, Polarium, Puyo-Pop Fever, and Puzzle Quest. I'd also recommend the Dr. Mario/Puzzle League combo cartridge for Game Boy Advance.

Clubhouse Games is money. I'm guessing that the New York Times Crossword game would go over well too.

Best Games on DS independent of Genre:

New Super Mario Brothers
Castlevania Dawn of Sorrow
Castlevania Portrait of Ruin
Zelda: Phantom Hourglass
Any Advance Wars (GBA or DS)
Old 12-09-07, 11:44 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Just here to echo: Clubhouse Games, Tetris DS, and Picross. My wife loved Clubhouse Games
Old 12-09-07, 12:05 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

DS:
Clubhouse Games
Elite Beat Agents
New Super Mario Bros.
Tetris
Planet Puzzle League

Wii:
Wii Play
Super Mario Galaxy

Old 12-09-07, 01:52 PM

Cool, thanks for the responses. Looks like I'm at least picking up Clubhouse Games, and perhaps a few more!

We already have Wii Play, but I never even thought to give the kid a try at it. He could probably play a couple of those minigames. I have Raving Rabbids, but I think it's too much for him visually, he stops playing and just looks at the stuff going on on the screen.

We'd talked about Super Mario Galaxy coop. From what we'd read, it looked like he could play the supporting part. That'll probably come for Christmas for either me or the family.

Thanks again for the input, I appreciate it!
Old 12-09-07, 05:00 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

For the DS I highly recommend Puzzle Quest. Might even get into big girl games like rpgs.
Old 12-09-07, 06:17 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by jw2299
After 8 years of marriage, my wife finally started playing games with me when I got a DS. I got her her own pink one a few months later. Then we got a Wii a while after that. She really likes puzzle games and has asked for some for Christmas. Unfortunately, aside from the Brain Age and Big Brain Academy series, I don't know what's out there.

I've seen the My Word Coach and Vision Training games, but I'm not sure how they'd be received. Any other suggestions?

She's also asked for a Wii game that she could play with our 3 year old. He can play Wii Sports boxing, but that's about it as far as I know. Does anyone know of any games that a 3 year old could take part in?

Couple other mini game type games, I think there is one called Carinval games or something along those sort.
Old 12-09-07, 06:18 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by jw2299

Oh and if your wife loves puzzle games, get Zack and Wiki,
Old 12-09-07, 07:28 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

A vote for Chocobo Tales. It's basically a bunch of minigames and a virtual cardgame woven into a fun little adventure story.
Old 12-10-07, 12:49 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Another vote for Clubhouse Games. Mine is also very fond of Touchmaster. Clubhouse is nice for the single-card wireless download play, Touchmaster requires 2. My wife also liked playing the mini-games on New Super Mario Bros and the actual game alright.
Old 12-11-07, 09:14 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,403 Likes on 1,028 Posts
Animal Crossing and Harvest Moon are my wife's top played titles on any system ever, after Civilization on the PC.
Old 12-23-07, 08:54 PM

I decided to get Clubhouse Games, Planet Puzzle League, or Meteos, or maybe 2 of the three.

Well, it's the day before Christmas Eve, and all I've been able to find is a used Copy of Meteos. It even had an inkjet printed cover. I went ahead and bought it, but I'm going to make one more try tomorrow to find one of the other two new.