Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > TV Talk
Reload this Page >

Law & Order and L&O:CI returning, with changes.

Community
Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Search this Thread

Old 12-04-07, 12:41 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 76 Likes on 59 Posts

From The Baltimore Sun:

Originally Posted by Baltimore Sun
"Law & Order" is settling back into its longtime Wednesday home next month, paired with sister series "Law & Order: Criminal Intent," NBC announced Monday.

A two-hour episode will kick off the 9 p.m. EST Jan. 2 midseason return of "Law & Order," which will move to 10 p.m. EST the following week when spin-off "Criminal Intent" joins the schedule in the 9 p.m. EST slot.

"I'm delighted to be back in the time slot where 'Law & Order' was the only show to watch for 15 years," series creator and executive producer Dick Wolf said Monday.

Earlier, NBC had said "Law & Order" would return at midseason on Sunday night, following the network's NFL telecasts. Last season, it aired on Friday.

With a screenwriters strike now in its fifth week, and with networks running through their stock of completed dramas and comedies, "Law & Order" represents a bonanza of unaired hours for NBC.

So does "Criminal Intent," which started showing earlier this season on USA Network, an NBC Universal cable channel, before beginning its broadcasting run.

Wolf declined to comment on how many scripts were completed before the walkout. But if the strike is not protracted, he said, he's optimistic the series will fulfill their 22-episode orders.

"Law & Order" is introducing new cast members in its 18th year. Jeremy Sisto ("Six Feet Under") is aboard as a detective, while Linus Roache plays an assistant district attorney who replaces Jack McCoy (Sam Waterston) when McCoy steps up to New York district attorney.

McCoy is taking over from the D.A. played by Fred Thompson. The former U.S. senator asked to be released from the drama to pursue his bid for the Republican nomination for president.

The D.A.'s role, which usually called for brief appearances by Thompson, will be expanded with Waterston, Wolf said.
Old 12-04-07, 01:04 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Location: WAS looking for My Own Private Stuckeyville, but stuck in Liberty City (while missing Vice City)
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Well, L&O:CI has "returned" for a while now. I don't know how happy I am that Green will have a new partner and Jack will make the occasional D.A. appearance since i'm used to McCoy and didn't have a problem with Cassady.
Old 12-04-07, 01:18 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Boot - there it is. So both Life and Bionic Woman are going to be moved... IF Bionic Woman survives!

Congrats to Jeremy Sisto!
Old 12-04-07, 01:58 PM

Does this mean that CI is moving back to NBC from USA?
Old 12-04-07, 02:04 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
Jeremy Sisto and Linus Roache are solid actors and sound like good choices for the mothership. I think MCoy deserves a promotion after 175 years on the job.
Old 12-04-07, 02:29 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by aynrandgirl
Does this mean that CI is moving back to NBC from USA?
No, USA Network is still the primary network for Law and Order: CI. NBC retains rebroadcast rights, though, so they can air the USA episodes in primetime later in the season, much the same way ABC reaired early episodes of Monk.
Old 12-04-07, 02:32 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by Rogue588
Jack will make the occasional D.A. appearance
According to the press release, the D.A.'s role will be expanded so Jack McCoy is still a main character.
Old 12-04-07, 02:43 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 82 Likes on 49 Posts
Congrats to Jack getting a promotion!
Old 12-04-07, 03:12 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
CTV has been airing new episodes of Law & Order: CI as "broadcast exclusives", so I haven't missed an episode thankfully; don't have the USA network.

The original Law & Order had its worst season last year, IMO. With Sisto and Roache joining the cast this season, I think Law & Order might dig itself out of a rut, however.
Old 12-04-07, 04:21 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Location: WAS looking for My Own Private Stuckeyville, but stuck in Liberty City (while missing Vice City)
Originally Posted by aintnosin
According to the press release, the D.A.'s role will be expanded so Jack McCoy is still a main character.
I remember reading that since the original was on the bubble, they wanted to cut costs...hence, Jack's promotion.