Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Shopping Discussions > Store Forum
Reload this Page >

Buy.com not honoring sale prices?

Community
Search
Store Forum Share Your Shopping Experiences at Stores both Online and Off.

Search this Thread

Old 12-03-07, 09:05 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

During their Black Friday sale, Buy had Monk seasons 1-4 for $15.75 each so I ordered them. Seasons 1 and 2 were backordered. S1 since shipped, but on Thursday, I got the following e-mail re: S2
Thank you for shopping at Buy.com.

At Buy.com we strive to provide the widest assortment of high-quality products at the lowest
prices on earth. However, sometimes circumstances beyond our control affect our selection.

We were recently informed that the item listed below from order #xxx
is no longer available from that supplier.
Please accept our sincere apologies for this inconvenience.

Your order for this product has been automatically cancelled. If you paid by credit card, you will not be charged. If you paid by another method of payment, for example PayPal or GoogleCheckout, please allow 2 business days to process your refund.

Order #xxx

sku - 40700319 : description - Monk (Season Two)

If you have any questions, please contact customer support at http://www.buy.com/support.
It's no longer available from the supplier, according to them, which seemed odd since it's not OOP. I checked their site and it was in-stock, for $42.99. So I sent them the following e-mail:
Today, I received an e-mail regarding order number xxx stating that
one of the items, Monk Season Two (sku 40700319), was cancelled because
it is no longer available from the studio. But it is currently listed as
"In Stock: Usually Ships in 1 to 2 business days" on your site. So I
don't know why it was cancelled since it is obviously still available.

Please reinstate my order for the item, at the original price paid
($15.75 with free shipping).
This is their response today:
Thank you for your e-mail regarding order# xxx.

Please note that item# 40700319 Monk (Season Two) is in stock on the
website at a new price of $42.99.

If you still want the item, we advise you to place a new order. The
prevailing price of the item on the website will be used upon placing
your order.

We thank you for your patience in the matter.

Please let us know if this e-mail resolved your question:
Is it just me or is it evident that they cancelled the item simply because they didn't want to honor the sale price? It was in-stock when they cancelled it because it was "unavailable."

This happen to anyone else?
Old 12-03-07, 12:30 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
This is purely a geuss on my part, but I think with sales where you're getting something at a huge discount from a regular price, they may get X number of units at a discounted rate, and once they sell them all, they've gotta raise the price, so they probably oversold on what they had at a discount, and the only thing they could do without taking a loss was to cancel your order, but that's just a guess..
Old 12-03-07, 01:56 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts
Originally Posted by pilot
This is purely a geuss on my part, but I think with sales where you're getting something at a huge discount from a regular price, they may get X number of units at a discounted rate, and once they sell them all, they've gotta raise the price, so they probably oversold on what they had at a discount, and the only thing they could do without taking a loss was to cancel your order, but that's just a guess..

I'd agree, that's what it sounds like. As a store than can always accept or reject and order you make. They obviously don't have real time inventory, so what their site says is not the final word on inventory. It happens, and I wouldn't make a big deal about it.
Old 12-03-07, 02:52 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 49 Likes on 38 Posts
Buy.com has incredibly poor CS ratings. In the last six months, their rating is 2.04/10. Abysmal.

http://www.resellerratings.com/store/Buy

This isn't the first time they've done things like this. During the Google coupon period, I ordered the MI set. They gave me a backorder notice. It was on backorder for about 4 weeks. I noticed on the site one day that it was in stock, so I called. Their response was yes, it was in stock for $69.99, but to get it for $49.99, it was still on backorder, and she would be glad to remove the coupon and ship it immediately.

Made no sense.
Old 12-03-07, 03:33 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by DVD Josh
Buy.com has incredibly poor CS ratings. In the last six months, their rating is 2.04/10. Abysmal.

http://www.resellerratings.com/store/Buy

This isn't the first time they've done things like this. During the Google coupon period, I ordered the MI set. They gave me a backorder notice. It was on backorder for about 4 weeks. I noticed on the site one day that it was in stock, so I called. Their response was yes, it was in stock for $69.99, but to get it for $49.99, it was still on backorder, and she would be glad to remove the coupon and ship it immediately.

Made no sense.
wow - thats just horrible service right there. im glad i never shop at that site.
Old 12-03-07, 05:02 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

It would seem that their previous supplier/distributor was clearing out stock and now they're stuck going back to the studio to replenish the inventory. Doesn't make it fair because I assume some etailers would eat the loss (Amazon, BestPrices) to maintain customer loyalty but I guess they care more about the immediate bottom line. They should have better controls: i.e.- real time inventory.
Old 12-03-07, 06:26 PM

I was going to make a post about this. I ordered Office season 2 from them, and used the 10 off google checkout, so I got it for $9. Anyways, everything was going well, until a few days ago I get an email saying my order was cancelled because they are no longer available from supplier. What the hell??? Now they screwed me because I could have ordered it somewhere else when everyone had the office on sale during black friday, but NO, they had to wait until long after to screw me. I will never order from them again.
Old 12-08-07, 08:46 AM

I ordered multiple DVD's during Black Friday sale and got a box yesterday but about 4 titles were missing from the order. I went online to find out more information. Their shipment was sent out to me on 11/27 with a specific tracking number and all titles ordered was suppose to be in that shipment. At first I thought the 4 missing titlles would arrive later in another shipment abut I check the tracking number and they all bore the same tracking number as the box I got yesterday. They were suppose to be packed int he box I got but they were not. The shipment had no invoice slip in it which makes me wonder how very unprofessional this is being done. I called their customer service number and was placed on hold for 45 minutes and still was not able to talk with anyone. I emailed them twice and they are just emailing me back saying those items were delivered. I don't know what else to do. It is not a matter of he said she said. i thinkg the people at their warehouse did a shitty job and didn't pack in all the items and then just log on their computer as being shipped.

is there any legal reocourse I can take against this company. I really want to charge them for FRAUD for all the shit I have to go through. I want to dispute these charges with my credit card company because this merchant never delivered the item.

Any ideas on what to do next/
Old 12-08-07, 01:18 PM

Received 25 Likes on 19 Posts
To the original poster:

This is exactly the kind of thing you should contact your state Attorney General about. A company can't confirm a sale, charge your credit card, then cancel the order citing it is no longer available while at the same time listing the product available at a higher price for immediate shipment. What's even worse is that they admitted to such practices in their email to you.

Contact your Attorney General's office and fill them in. Hold on to your emails and copies of your order confirmation. Also print copies of the webpage showing availability. The AG will need these as proof.

Although you'll probably never get any personal resolution, the AG may go after the firm for these practices (or may join together with AGs from other states).
Old 12-08-07, 08:36 PM

MAN, THIS COMPANY BUY.COM REALLY SUCKS. I WILL NEVER BUY ANYTHING FROM THESE PEOPLE AGAIN. THEY TOOK MY MONEY AND NEVER SENT THE ITEM. THEN ONE OF THE DVD I RECEIVED TODAY HAD THE DVD NOT MATCHING THE INVOICE SO ON THEIR WEBSITE IT SAYS THE DVD WAS DELIVERED WHEN IT IS NOT.

I am so frustrated with this company. I think the money you save in doing businees with them is not worth the risk and frustration of not receving some of your items.
There was about $36.50 of DVD not yet received. The money I saved from buying the other DVD from them is essentially wiped out by this loss. In the end, purchasing from Buy.com may end up costing you more money and create a lot of headache and frustration in your life.

I just hope enough people complain to better business bureau and the attorney general of their state to have some kind of criminal investigation into the buy.com's business practices.
Old 12-08-07, 11:54 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

wonder what this guy thinks about this thread:

Old 12-09-07, 12:46 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 811 Likes on 685 Posts
Buy.com has always been one of the shoddier Internet retailers. I quit using them several years ago and haven't regretted it at all.
Old 12-09-07, 02:24 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I stopped ordering from them when the Google Checkout bonus (for existing accounts) expired; even then their prices fluctuated too much depending on how well a title sold. Haven't used them in nearly a year.
FeelingGreat: You'll get your money back but they don't always respond quickly. Just priotitize your life a little better. Don't get too upset for now because they should eventually figure out what happened and correct it. My problems with them include #1-wrong titles shipped and #2-duplicate disc in a set (manufacturers' problem). They were slow but eventually corrected it. Took them a month to correct issue #2.