Search
Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

My Xbox 360 died in 35 days...

Search this Thread

Old 11-30-07, 10:03 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Xbox 360 died in 35 days...

I'm in the RRoD club now Just called the hot line and have the coffin shipped to me...

I purchased my X360 from Fry's $399.99 deal, i.e. X360 Pro with HDMI and two games (Forza 2 and MUA), plus three more: BioShock, Two Worlds, and Orange Box.

In less than five weeks, it died on me... Here are my highlights of the joys i gotten from my X360:

1. BioShock! Awesome and creepy... i was at the very beginning of the game too... damn it, i won't be able to play it until next year

2. Gears of War, awesome too, just finished the Sealing the Holes chapter. Sigh, way too early in the game too. Ah!!!

3. Transformers HD-DVD, okay, with the help of the add-on... Now, i haven't watch Planet Earth HD-DVD yet,

4. Awesome on-line contents, lots of cool demos, sigh, just downloaded the Eternal Sonata demo too and didn't even get a chance to try it

In the 35 days, i didn't even use my X360 that much. I believe i played around 20 hours at most (never play more than 40 mins a day, not that i don't want to, i can't...)

So, my X360 died of boredom or something? I don't understand how it died... i'm very careful with my electronics. Needless to say, i'm a bit heartbroken when i saw the three flashing red rings (actually three parts of a ring).

Here's my X360 stat, maybe some of you find it useful:
Team FDOU
Lot No: 0736
Made: 2007-09-08

The saddest part? I just got bunches of games from Amazon's BF sale...

Halo 3 LE
Cars, Open Season, Frenzy 2
Saint Row
Rainbow Six CE

Sigh... chances are i'll play them next year... What a Christmas for me Not to mention people will be giving me and the kids X360 stuffs, ah, the horror!
Old 11-30-07, 11:41 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Bummer dude.
Old 11-30-07, 11:51 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
That sucks Ocelot

And as an owner of one for just under a month it makes me a bit nervous.I got the same bundle as you and i love mine so far so i hope mine lasts a long time.I keep my apartment so damn cold i cant imagine having an overheating problem but i guess you never know.

Best of luck to you gettting yours back working again.
Old 12-01-07, 02:59 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Good thing MS has finally figured out the problem and fixed it so this never happens again!
Old 12-01-07, 09:04 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

was it the new falcon motherboard?
Old 12-01-07, 03:43 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 443 Likes on 310 Posts
Seeing the manufacture date and the HDMI, it seems like you had one of the newer units with the new heat-sinks that aren't supposed to have the RRoD - or at least far less likely to have one - I actually haven't heard too many instances of these newer units getting them.
Old 12-01-07, 06:06 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by timewaster
was it the new falcon motherboard?
yeap... sigh, i don't understand how it died...
Old 12-01-07, 06:08 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by astrochimp
That sucks Ocelot

And as an owner of one for just under a month it makes me a bit nervous.I got the same bundle as you and i love mine so far so i hope mine lasts a long time.I keep my apartment so damn cold i cant imagine having an overheating problem but i guess you never know.

Best of luck to you gettting yours back working again.
thanks... it's a bummer w/o X360 games over the holiday weekend. I was quite busy the past two months, that's why i didn't play X360 much. In my case, it's definitely not overheating, i don't understand the cause of the problem at all, it could just be a bad apple in the batch i guess (sucks to me or am i in denial now).
Old 12-01-07, 06:11 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by slop101
Seeing the manufacture date and the HDMI, it seems like you had one of the newer units with the new heat-sinks that aren't supposed to have the RRoD - or at least far less likely to have one - I actually haven't heard too many instances of these newer units getting them.

yeah, that's the main reason i went ahead and getting the X360. M$ knows the problem already and the new batch shouldn't be like th older ones, i just hope my case is an isolated incident (wow, i'm speaking for M$, that's a first).
Old 12-01-07, 06:24 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by Liver&Onions
Bummer dude.
yeah, totally bummer... i was about to continue my BioShock too. Just got Rainbow 6 in the mail today, another reminder to my X360 problem, sigh...

I spent like half hour with the operator (the Xbox hotline). Unplug everything (including the HDD) and plug in the power cord again. Nope, red ring still... The lady asked me to check the power brick's light color. It was orange/yellow when the X360 is off and it changed to green when the X360 is powered on. So, she told me that the power supply is functional and she went ahead with the repair box.

She was very polite (well, i wasn't screaming either, just trying to work with her and get the problem resolved). The way she said "sorry for the inconvenience..." was pretty much like a robot (well, with a little passion). Sigh, in some ways i felt bad for her (am i defending M$ again?). Anyhow, they will give me one month Live free (honestly, i rather have the repair done a week or so quicker, before Christmas that is...)

Another sad side of this? I just got my Onkyo S894 system too. It got two HDMI inputs, one for the PS3 and the other for the X360. Sigh, it looks like the 2nd HDMI port has to wait...
Old 12-01-07, 06:25 PM
Banned by request

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
I think your PS3 hacked it to death in the middle of the night.
Old 12-01-07, 09:02 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

haha... come to think of it, all three consoles are on the bottom shelf (plenty of ventilation space, so no worry there) and the X360 is in between the PS3 and Wii. Maybe because the X360 is new, the Wii and PS3 gang up on it.

I have to say, even though the time i spent playing the X360 is short, but it's very sweet.

I use to make fun of achievement points, but for some reasons, i kinda like the idea of recording your gaming achievements, it's not a bad system.

I use to think the PS3 SIXAXIS is cool, but hell, the X360's controller is much better (well, it got the rumble, even though i don't really care about it, but still when Playing BioShock, the rumbling makes a huge difference when playing the game). However, i still prefer the PS controllers for button smashers though...
Old 12-02-07, 02:48 PM

Unless he actually opened it and looked it may of not been a falcon. Lot # and Man Fac date does not means its a falcon, the majority of people with 0736 with even later Man Fac dates then yours don't have falcons. I would say it is prob not a falcon unless you cracked the seal and looked.

Last edited by Jake77444; 12-02-07 at 02:54 PM.
Old 12-03-07, 08:08 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Regardless it's falcon or not... the BS has to stop at some point! It doesn't seem to be a problem of overheating. All the falcon chip does is to reduce the power usage. Besides, the excess heating is coming from the graphic chip anyway.

The more i think about my problem, the more i regret... Sigh, i regret joining the Xbox 360 family. I pretty much flush $400+ down the drain.
Old 12-03-07, 08:10 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,021 Likes on 812 Posts
Flushed down $400+ because you have to give it up for a couple weeks to get it repaired at no charge? I agree, it shouldn't happen, but c'mon.
Old 12-03-07, 08:40 AM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts
35 days? Wow, that must be some sort of record. I've never heard of a 360 lasting that long.

$400? I thought you were Mr. Smart Bargain and would have picked this up new (along with 7 or 8 AAA games) for $50 or so.
Old 12-03-07, 08:54 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Let's break it down shall we?

$408 X360 Pro, Forza2, MUA, Two Worlds, BioShock, Orange Box
$60 Halo 3 LE
$20 Saint Row
$20 Cars, Open Season, Frenzy 2
$20 Rainbow 6 CE
$18 Gear of War (used)
$8 Cameo or Carmeo? (used)

$198 Add-on (with Heroes and stuffs)

total spent in the last two months $752... how much do i get out it? 35 days... a brand new system!

My first used car drove fine for a two months or so before it needed a new distributor.

Yeah, i can live w/o it for few weeks, but why i or anybody endure this kind of "abuse"? i.e. a Christmas w/o the X360?
Old 12-03-07, 09:25 AM
Mok
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Believe me I know how you feel, I'm waiting on my coffin as well.
Old 12-03-07, 10:10 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

i guess it's a good thing there are forums

it's like free group therapy... i just hope i get it back before Christmas...
Old 12-03-07, 11:20 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by Ocelot
i guess it's a good thing there are forums

it's like free group therapy... i just hope i get it back before Christmas...
yep, its definitely a bad time of year for it to happen. My launch unit RROD about a month ago, which luckily was enough time to get it back to MS, have it fixed and shipped back to me before the holidays. So far seems okay, but I've only put a few minutes playing time on it since the repair. I'm hoping to spend some time playing it over the holidays, so hopefully it will stay fixed. In my case they sent me back my same 360, so I'm hoping their fix process is good.

Last edited by sniper308; 12-03-07 at 11:27 AM.
Old 12-03-07, 03:16 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

It's so weird how it works...I have had my X360 for about 21 months and have not had a SINGLE problem. Almost EVERYONE else I know have had problems. I didnt play it that much at first but for the last year I have played it A TON! Oh well, I imagine I will get the RROD eventually...hopefully before the warranty is up! Until then...
Old 12-03-07, 07:44 PM

I got the RROD about 2-3 weeks ago and am waiting for my 3rd 360.

I realize that they are fixing them for free and all, but they really should work some exchange program with Gamestop or something. Its pretty damn frustrating paying for a month of X-box live a year that I can't use.
Old 12-03-07, 08:25 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Applejack
I got the RROD about 2-3 weeks ago and am waiting for my 3rd 360.

I realize that they are fixing them for free and all, but they really should work some exchange program with Gamestop or something. Its pretty damn frustrating paying for a month of X-box live a year that I can't use.
I thought MS gave a free month code of XBL with every repaired unit?
Old 12-03-07, 08:58 PM

Originally Posted by eatntae
I thought MS gave a free month code of XBL with every repaired unit?
I guess I'll find out here in a few days, but they didn't last time.
Old 12-03-07, 10:57 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Only a month... and it's not even that attractive considering the "pain" you're going through...

Yeah, they should definitely have some kind of exchange system that speeds up the process, but then again, just spend some more money and fix the damn problem once and for all. Can somebody tell me why MS can't do this???? It makes no sense what so ever...

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.