Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Shopping Discussions > Store Forum
Reload this Page >

Best Buy -- What's the deal with the "Cage"?

Community
Search
Store Forum Share Your Shopping Experiences at Stores both Online and Off.

Search this Thread

Old 11-28-07, 03:26 PM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts

Last night I was in Best Buy to get the Futurama movie. While I was there I decided to see if they had the Wii Zapper in stock (gun accessory for the Wii console).

When I got to the video game section, it was completely devoid of accessories of any kind. No Zappers, no Wiimotes, no Nunchuks. I thought it was odd, but not completely shocking -- after all, this was the Tuesday after Black Friday.

So I started walking towards the register, and on the way I spotted something I hadn't seen before -- a huge cage in the middle of the floor, locked with a padlock. Inside were several Wii accessories (including the zapper), several Xbox360 accessories, some accessories for that other console, and assorted other items.

I flagged somebody down and asked if the stuff in the cage was for sale. "Sure," he said -- and he went and got somebody else to open the cage for me. She showed up quickly and retrieved my Zapper...but she wouldn't hand it to me there. Instead, she had to walk with me to the front, where she handed it to the cashier.

Everybody was polite and it wasn't a huge inconvenience, but the whole thing was weird. Presumably this is some sort of anti-theft thing, but it seems like overkill for a $20 accessory when there's $60 games just out on the shelves to grab.

Anybody seen these before and know what the deal is?
Old 11-28-07, 03:37 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 129 Likes on 103 Posts
My guess would be a theft deterrent system. Gues they had too much shrink in the video game accessories section. I've seen this on high value low size items. Basically anything thats expensive and small in size. The employee walking the item to the front is an LP thing as well. Basically if they dont let you physically touch the product until after you pay for it, you can't steal it.

as for why the accessories were in the cage and not the more expensive games, i cant really answer that. Could be that there isnt any theft of games(doubt that), could be that the games are in their own protection, or could be Best buy knows that peole like to be able to read the back of the game case. Most likely its that there is more theft of accessories and thats why they locked them up.

Last edited by jjcool; 11-28-07 at 03:44 PM.
Old 11-28-07, 03:40 PM

Yeah, the odd thing was that the store was full of smaller items that had a higher sales value.

Also, this particular Best Buy wasn't in the greatest neighborhood. I'm going to one by my house this evening. I'll look and see if they have the cage too.
Old 11-28-07, 03:49 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
At some of the Borders stores around here, they keep DVD box sets in locked cases. If you want to buy one, you have to find someone to unlock it for you, then they walk it down to the cash register. Seems a bit strange, as the sets usually have those magnetic alarm things taped to them anyhow, and often they are cheaper than books or other things out in the open. Also varies from store to store, and doesn't seem to be tied to how good or bad their neighborhood is. Doesn't make a difference to me, though, as I wasn't planning to steal the DVDs anyhow.
Old 11-28-07, 04:05 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My local BB, which is in a pretty decent area, got the Cage about two months ago. I noticed it because it was filled with Wii's and Legendary editions of Halo 3.
Old 11-28-07, 05:05 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
One of the Walmarts near me went back to a locked glass shelfs this fall for Dvd's. They still have cheaper titles out (under 14.00, it seems) but anything new, current or sets are locked up. Since then I have never seen anyone looking at them or asking for one.

Last edited by ernestrp; 11-28-07 at 05:57 PM.
Old 11-28-07, 08:48 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Damn, the BB in Queens have always had the cage... I just assumed they were everywhere, but now that I think about it didn't see them back home at all and only until I moved here. Im guessing the video game stuff gets stolen quite regularly.
Old 11-30-07, 12:30 AM
Suspended

Received 101 Likes on 87 Posts
My local BB does this as well. They will lock up the $20 Zapper guns, $25 PS2 controller, $50 Xbox 360 controller, but will have dozens of PS3s and 360s right by the exit.
Old 11-30-07, 12:54 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts
Same thing here, although my best buy has had it for over a year. It's annoying having to ask for an item, but no different really from stores like Target where stuff is behind a glass case.
Old 11-30-07, 03:39 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

They should put the whole store in a cage.
Old 11-30-07, 06:39 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
You don't really expect to be able to walk around the store with a dangerous weapon like a zapper do you? Do Pawn shops let you carry their guns around while you browse?
Old 11-30-07, 09:37 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Walter Neff
At some of the Borders stores around here, they keep DVD box sets in locked cases. If you want to buy one, you have to find someone to unlock it for you, then they walk it down to the cash register. Seems a bit strange, as the sets usually have those magnetic alarm things taped to them anyhow, and often they are cheaper than books or other things out in the open. Also varies from store to store, and doesn't seem to be tied to how good or bad their neighborhood is. Doesn't make a difference to me, though, as I wasn't planning to steal the DVDs anyhow.
I just noticed that my local Borders has gone back to locking up all of the DVD box sets. A few years ago they had the sets locked up, then switched to having everything out in the open. A few expensive set like Star Trek were kept behind the checkout counter, but overall it was very convenient. I went in a couple weeks ago and noticed that all sets are now locked up again. Even the few sets that are on display have those alarms strapped to them that are on so tight that they cut into the edges of the box. I asked an employee about the changes and it's definitely for loss prevention purposes.
Old 11-30-07, 09:41 AM

Update: the BB by my house has no cage, so it may be a "bad neighborhood" thing.
Old 11-30-07, 06:40 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Originally Posted by jjcool
The employee walking the item to the front is an LP thing as well.
Wow, BBY sells vinyl?
Old 12-01-07, 01:44 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,808 Likes on 1,129 Posts
Originally Posted by Groucho
Update: the BB by my house has no cage, so it may be a "bad neighborhood" thing.
In Oo-Tah?
Old 12-01-07, 08:46 PM
Suspended

Received 101 Likes on 87 Posts
I hate when Borders put the box sets in the lock cases. How are we suppose to see the price for them? Idiots.
Old 12-02-07, 11:18 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by GizmoDVD
I hate when Borders put the box sets in the lock cases. How are we suppose to see the price for them? Idiots.
To be fair, Borders does have those computers all over the store that you can use to look up prices. Plus, given that it's Borders, you can usually assume the price is too high. Unless you have one of those 40% off coupons they just sent out, that is.
Old 12-02-07, 12:21 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by Jah-Wren Ryel
Wow, BBY sells vinyl?
I am sure some of their items are made of plastic, yes.
Had to read your post and my original post a couple of times before I got what you were saying. LP as in Loss Prevention, though I am sure you know that already
Old 12-02-07, 12:24 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by GizmoDVD
I, as I am sure many of you do, like to look over the dvd case before I buy. First to check out the specs on teh back, second to check the case/box for damage and third to give it a little shake to check for floaters. I have pissed many a store employee off by calling them over to open the cage to look at a dvd, only to hand it back 1 second later after I hear a disc rattling inside. Sometimes I do it just for fun. like at thirty one flavors, gettign a sample of each then leaving without buying anything.
Old 12-04-07, 10:08 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 1,365 Likes on 927 Posts
Originally Posted by Groucho
It's not, though. 2 Best Buys here in Phoenix, in the nicest part of town (well one is Chandler) both have it, too. It's stupid since it looks likes items are not in stock. I wonder if they've lost sales because of it.
Old 12-05-07, 12:33 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts
Originally Posted by ernestrp
One of the Walmarts near me went back to a locked glass shelfs this fall for Dvd's. They still have cheaper titles out (under 14.00, it seems) but anything new, current or sets are locked up. Since then I have never seen anyone looking at them or asking for one.

I haven't been there in a while, but the Walmart nearest to me used to put new releases in a locked cabinet. Has to bea nnoying, both for customers and employees. Those should be the big movers sale wise, and who wants to unlock a cabinet every 5 minutes to get a movie? Yeah, they're more likely to get stolen as new releases, but is it worth it?
Old 12-05-07, 12:36 PM

Originally Posted by Deftones
It's stupid since it looks likes items are not in stock. I wonder if they've lost sales because of it.
I'm sure they have. For example, in my case I almost left the store before I happened to notice the cage. And even then I wasn't sure -- and asked the employee if the items were actually for sale.
Old 12-05-07, 06:30 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 201 Likes on 134 Posts
Several of the Best Buy's around here are now putting color copies of the game art in the plastic security case on the shelf - there's no game inside. They have to get it from the cage by the registers.
Old 12-05-07, 10:12 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Received 38 Likes on 30 Posts
I had a problem at WalMart with the cases/walking the disc up to the counter routine a few months back.

I had them get a copy of Star Trek II, but I always check the case to make sure the the cover isn't misalligned and covered by the sticker, which results in a torn cover.

The guy grabs the first copy, and I can already hear the discs rattling. I had to demand three times he get another copy, then he told me I couldn't touch the item until I payed for it.

I asked him "I'd like to make sure the cover isn't stuck to the security sticker, and I'd also like to verify the special features." He told me that wasn't allowed, so I told him to shove it.

Ended up getting the store manager who apologized and said my request was perfectly legit. In the end the employee got chewed out on the floor and was forced in front of the manager to reopen the case and let me examine the item before handing it over before purchase.