Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Shopping Discussions > DVD Bargains
Reload this Page >

Star Trek -The Original Series - Complete First Season Combo HD-DVD $124.99 at Costco

Community
Search
DVD Bargains Post and Discuss DVD Related Bargains including DVD Clubs

Star Trek -The Original Series - Complete First Season Combo HD-DVD $124.99 at Costco

Search this Thread

Old 11-25-07, 06:08 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Does this belong here in this forum?

(I looked around a bit and I didn't see it posted anywhere, so here it is! )

Now I don't know if this is such a great deal or not but 'I' like it!

...and sure, I order stuff off the Internet, but sometimes, I like to walk into a store, slap my cash (or card) down on the counter, and then walk out with the product in-my-hand and ready to watch when I get home!

So, after reading das monkey's G-R-E-A-T review on this one, and carefully inspecting the case, checking to see if there were any loose or broken off plastic hub pieces clicking or rustling around inside there (and when it passed inspection), Man, Oh Man...was I ever happy to pick this one up yesterday for $124!

(...especially after we JUST (minutes before) bought one at Fry's and paid $149! )

...However, the set comes with 5 transparent plastic index-like cards listing the episodes, and I got 2 of the cards listing info for discs #5 & #6, and didn't get one for #7 & #8!

Who in the HELL packs this stuff, anyway???

&

THEEK!

Last edited by The Edit King; 11-25-07 at 07:16 PM. Reason: Because that's what I do.
Old 11-25-07, 08:09 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Uh oh, who let Theek out of the Otter forum?
Old 11-25-07, 11:31 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
It's currently $106.28 at Deep Discount with the 20% off sale if you can order one before the sale ends.
Old 11-26-07, 12:54 AM

even at $106.28, it is still way too expensive for one season of an old TV show
Old 11-26-07, 11:41 AM

Yup...

Originally Posted by FeelingGreat
even at $106.28, it is still way too expensive for one season of an old TV show
without a doubt. Not worth it for one season.
Old 11-26-07, 05:47 PM
DVD Talk Hero

I guess it depends on the buyer.

'Old TV show'?

PAH!!!

This 'Old Man' just happens to 'like' that 'Old TV show' and THE PICTURE is Nothing Less than INCREDIBLE!!!

It's like watching it for the very first time!

(Don't tell anybody, but it gives me an 'intimate feeling'. Kinda like 'Making Love' with ALL the characters, it being that clear and all. & )

Hey! I was more than willing to pay the 149 Bucks! If I can get it cheaper, that's great, and I'm all for it, but I would have been happy (and already was) when we first picked it up at Frys for the Big '149'.

-THEEKSAKE!

Last edited by The Edit King; 11-26-07 at 05:59 PM.
Old 11-26-07, 10:35 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I too still can't see paying this much for one season, HD or not. Early adopters get nothing but screwed over.
Old 11-26-07, 10:41 PM

Originally Posted by The Edit King

This 'Old Man' just happens to 'like' that 'Old TV show' and THE PICTURE is Nothing Less than INCREDIBLE!!!

It's like watching it for the very first time!
Yea...I disagree. I own it and the picture is not so great. It is much better than the Standard DVD releases, but still needs improving. Plus the creators digitized some of the original set...Way to pull a George Lucas. I dunno...read this gus review...

Review
Old 11-27-07, 02:50 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Well, all righty, then!

I too was upset over the early adopter-gettin'-screwed thing, and even created a thread about it, but I've long got over the screwing months ago.

For me, it's like: 'If ya wanna play, ya gotta pay!' That's just the way it is. I for one want the movies I want in HD, and so that's why I bought both systems. Time is precious. Tomorrow is guaranteed to no one. I don't have time waste.

...and sure, everything can be improved! But while I'm alive, this is currently the absolute best versions I've got and I'm mighty grateful for them because heck, with my current heath situation taking a nose dive, I may not be around for the next release!

So in my humble opinon, they look OUTTA-SIGHT! Some say they don't. Well, I can't help but feel bad for those that say that because they can't enjoy them, and especially those who have already slapped down the mean green!

YIKES!

Now that's a MAJOR cryin' shame!

Then others say they're too expensive. I don't see it that way, and after watching this first set for myself, I'd gladly pay near-twice the price for the thrill of seeing them this wonderfully, 'jaw droppingly' clear.

I can't help but agree 100% with das monkey's Review here at DVD Talk with regards to picture quality & detail and its high defintion:

'The improvement on this latest release is, for lack of a better phrase, jaw-dropping.'

TELL IT, DAS!!! TELL IT!!!

In my case, I suppose, 'Ignorance is Bliss', because me & the little lady are seriously LOVING THEM!

-Tek!

Last edited by The Edit King; 11-27-07 at 04:53 PM. Reason: Because I have many correctional issues.